Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Danny's Boyz Walk Into a Bar

They can't all be gems, but here's hoping the West Coast version is better.

I did like the State of the Union bit at the start and the reference to the sitting bitchface (we know which side of the aisle he's talking about).

Also liked Shelly's crack about no black people getting Oscar nominations.

I really liked Brett's reference to failing his citizenship test and getting thrown over the Trump's wall into Mexico.

And of course, Justin's 'God Bless the National Broadcasting Corporation if we get a Season 4'.

When I saw that Weezer was the guest, I thought that is so awesome. But then they played their newer stuff, and I was a little less enthusiastic.

Bridgit Mendler is slowly crossing the line from adorably cute to hot.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

The West Coast show was a little better.

During the Sate of the Union bit, Justin changed from his suggestion for Broadway Karaoke Tuesday nights on the East Coast show.
Justin: "Every Tuesday the bar will show reruns of Whitney".  
Nothing but crickets.
Danny: "NBC burned all those anyway."

Other things I liked in both shows:
-- Candice's song about Justin was funny.
-- Loved Rev. Shelly judging the dance-off.
-- David Fynn's 'Goodbye Starman' tribute to David Bowie dressed as Aladdin Sane (thanks Sharkfan for the heads up).

In the West Coast episode, I think Brent Morin really hurt his elbow during the dance crew bit.  He wasn't so much dancing at the end of the bit as writhing in pain.

ETA:  Edited to correct the Bowie reference.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

-- David Fynn's 'Goodbye Starman' tribute to David Bowie dressed as Ziggy Stardust

I can't believe I'm going to be this pedantic, but Fynn was actually dressed as Aladdin Sane. Either way though I agree with you It was a lovely tribute!

Three things from me:

- I wish D'Elia would try to remember his script at least a little better and spare us all those long "aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh"s in the middle of his lines

- Rick Glassman should try and relax more and not rush through his lines...

- Bridget Mendler is ADORABLE! First the song to Justin, then the scratching "it's your birthday" to Leslie. Plus the hotness. Let's not forget the hotness...

• Love 2

Yeah, this week's East Coast was about as crap as last week's West Coast.

Not that this week's West was great... but it was... better. I mean Weezer and Bridgit Mendler couldn't totally balance out dumb David Caruso impressions, a less than stellar plot, and generally weaker jokes than usual.

- Bridget Mendler is ADORABLE! First the song to Justin, then the scratching "it's your birthday" to Leslie. Plus the hotness. Let's not forget the hotness...

Don't forget the "Rich person" impression. That was gold (which was rare in this episode). Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Bridgit Mendler is slowly crossing the line from adorably cute to hot.

Bridgit already crossed that line.

I'm currently crushing on David Fynn, who is an adorable husky bear. He needs to grow the beard back, though.

I thought this episode was pretty bad. Everything seemed off.

On watching the West Coast version, I revise my opinion slightly. The first third, before the dancing in the park, is fine.

Edited by SmithW6079

I've been thinking about this episode way, way more than is probably advisable. I'm okay with all the messed lines, bad camera work, etc. because the big joke was that The Sweater was that it was the same sweater Kim Davis wore to the SOTU (and that Weezer wold be there and NOT SING THE SWEATHER SONG). So they only had 72ish hrs to put together a show, with dance-off and Ron Glassman getting actual lines.

Am I way off base? Seriously I spent at least 2 hours yesterday morning thinking about it.

I've been thinking about this episode way, way more than is probably advisable. I'm okay with all the messed lines, bad camera work, etc. because the big joke was that The Sweater was that it was the same sweater Kim Davis wore to the SOTU (and that Weezer wold be there and NOT SING THE SWEATHER SONG). So they only had 72ish hrs to put together a show, with dance-off and Ron Glassman getting actual lines.

Am I way off base? Seriously I spent at least 2 hours yesterday morning thinking about it.

I never got the Kim Davis sweater connection at all. Brett's lucky sweater was definitely the Stars and Stripes, but I'm not sure what that abomination was that Kim Davis was wearing.  It kind of had stripes -- some red, some blue, some pink, some purple -- and there were stars on another piece of clothing under the sweater, but they weren't 5-pointed stars, more like 4-pointed stars.

• Love 1

Bridgit already crossed that line.

It's a tough call (the whole cute vs. hot thing) with her, because a.) she's too young for a lot of the ehem.... expected audience for this show (who I bet don't skew that young), and probably for a lot of us posting. b.) she's petite but fairly well built, so that's always a battle of those two elements c.) but she's kind of got an innocent face d.) but she's also pretty talented, which is always attractive e.) Disney kids always have that duality that on one hand they're peddled as very innocent, but most people probably assume by default by now they're all freaks underneath (based on countless examples at this point).

Before "Good Luck Charlie" ended, Disney was showing Bridgit Mendler singing from her new album. She was made up and definitely not an innocent Disney star. However, I think, unlike Selena Gomez and Miley Cyrus, that she's not a freak underneath. 

I never got the Kim Davis sweater connection at all. Brett's lucky sweater was definitely the Stars and Stripes, but I'm not sure what that abomination was that Kim Davis was wearing. It kind of had stripes -- some red, some blue, some pink, some purple -- and there were stars on another piece of clothing under the sweater, but they weren't 5-pointed stars, more like 4-pointed stars.

Was grumpy kid running the camera? I just really like that Ron Glassman got to speak!

• Love 1

Are we supposed to be rooting for Burski and Leslie as a couple? Because, I'm really, really not. He's a gross, creepy stalker, and I hate that the show seems to be endorsing his behavior and treating it like it's okay. Like in the first season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, where Charles was hung up on Rosa and wouldn't leave her alone--and the show was smart enough to move on in the second season and have him knock it off. I was hoping this show would finally get there as well...but nope. Looks like it's creepy, gross stalker guys for the win. Bleh. 

• Love 2

Are we supposed to be rooting for Burski and Leslie as a couple? Because, I'm really, really not.

Me neither.  I hate that they're going there even though I just knew that they would.  It'd be one thing if he had a barely contained crush on her but was otherwise appropriate. That would be annoying but not offensive to me.  But he has been very gross and inappropriate.  Leslie allegedly has bad taste in men but they're at least super hot.  Now she's dating a less-hot jerk?