Type keyword(s) to search

Spring/Summer Makeup Collections

• Start Topic

I tend to have more interest in fall collections. Many spring ones are simply too pastel for me. The bronze-y summer ones tend to fare better.

Dior's looks nice in the package but none of the colours will work for me (pale orange, yellows). I have lots of red lipsticks so the UD Gwen Stefani collection may result in dupes/lack of interest. I did buy the Chanel LA Sunrise ribbons blush - cheaper in Canada at $57 compared to $70 US. Not much else of the collection appeals to me. I swatched the eyeshadows - nice colours but they were patchy. Clinique's lid pops look nice but also seem mediocre.

Anything already appealing to anyone?

Hmm, I like some of the Chanel eyeshadows and lipstick (the green & moonlit pink shadpw and the lipstick in Energy), but yeah the Dior line looks...weak. Pretty, but  unremarkable. Spring colors are always a regret for me. I like them in the package, not so much on. Considering my shadow palette tends more to black/grey/browns and red lipsticks, I guess that's not surprising. :)

• Love 2

I tested the blue and green Chanel eyeshadows and for me, they seemed patchy. Maybe the tester had been tested a lot in a few days and it had dried out a bit? I'm sure there are better products than those for $41 CAD each! Dior has been hit and miss. I ran in to the Western Canadian Dior rep last year and mentioned that the quality of the eyeshadow quints has been less than stellar, for the price point. Dry, patchy, lots of fallout and application issues. I expect a lot more than mediocre for my investment ($70 is lot when some drugstore products at one-tenth the price perform better). Yes, I am a sucker for packaging, but... I adore my almost-empty Bonne Etoile quint from about 2 years ago. Since then, mainly meh. Dior isn't hugely cutting-edge, but has a je nais se quoi about it. Did see on Temptalia that the Tom Ford spring/summer eyeshadow quads have arrived, or will be. Our Holt Renfrew is apparently sold out. Um, I want to know how an $88 quad performs first. If it lasts several hours, has no fallout, or flaking, maybe. I'm more interested in the cream shadows. At least the $39 Lips and Boys lipstick collection is relatively affordable. My Holts stocks only some lipsticks and the fragrance collection. Anything else is online and without even glancing at a tester.

Still have some of my holiday palettes to start. Should tide me over for a while, but I do like new and interesting stuff.

Haven't visited the drugstore brands yet. The new lines are just trickling in. Also Sephora.

Or MAC. Too many collections, too many that sell out in no-time.

I have two Tom Ford lipsticks - Crimson Noir and Rocco from the more "affordable" Lips and Boys collection. I have worn the Crimson Noir one and like the formula. Probably start wearing Rocco in a few weeks as it is a bit more spring-y. My Holts is very small and it just started to carry some of the lipsticks and fragrances. Haven't tried the eyeshadows. Only tested a couple of them last spring when I visited Toronto. For $88 I hope that they are flawless. They are available (currently sold out) on the Holts website. A bit too expensive for me, like the Louboutin line. Ordering stuff online is a challenge. I like to actually see the product.

I think I bought most of the collection he did for Estée Lauder a few years ago. EL does own the brand and some of the Pure Envy lipsticks are comparable.

I too am a sucker for the packaging. (:

Valentino shoes are not normally in my budget. I've looked at a pair of Rockstuds, but was disheartened to learn that the studs like to fall off. Very expensive too with the low Canadian dollar. A bit overhyped. Some do go on sale but not normally in my size. There was a pair of lace bow pumps that I liked a few months ago, but at just over $1000 per pair, a little out of my full-price pricerange.

I picked up one of the new Chanel Stylo lipstick/gloss/balm in 'Histoire'. A bit pricey but I'm worth it.

I did like the Perles highlighter duo (pink and white) but felt it would simply sit as a collectible and too pretty to use.

I'm waiting to see if the new Guerlain cupcake Meterorites will make an appearance. Too cute.

Still would like to visit Sephora to check out the new Bite Beauty lipticks.

I picked up one of the new Dior Addict ultraglosses today in Ultra Dior (765). Am a sucker for that sort of packaging. Also have one coming from Sephora along (Diorama) with Bite Beauty Rhubarb Amuse Bouche lipstick. I like shiny, sparkly things and it's a nice spring pick-me-up.

(edited)

I only have one Bite lipstick at this time - the December Lip Lab Sugar Plum shade. Too soon for me to tell. The brand usually gets excellent reviews on Temptalia. I had a lot of gift with purchase lipsticks to use up and haven't actually 'bought' many. I can also barely keep up with Mac's seemingly every 2 week collections.

I see the Guerlain stuff on beauty blogs. Only a couple of stores carry it here and all the limited edition stuff is gone in no time. Their lipsticks (especially Rouge G) are in the Tom Ford range (I think it's $59CAD vs $63 for a full-size Tom Ford one). Bite is $30.

With the low Canadian dollar, many makeup lines have increased their prices. More noticeable on skincare, though. I do raise a brow at a Chanel polish for $32 - I may buy one per year as a treat, and normally just do the drugstore stuff and Winners/TJ Maxx for OPI and maybe some half price Essie or China Glaze. 

I did see that Sephora will now be carrying some Tom Ford cosmetics starting April 15 in-store. Our small Holt Renfrew (like your Saks) only carries the lipsticks and the perfumes.

Edited by Frozendiva

What do you think of Bite? It's really kinda hot right now.

The highlighters you mentioned by Guerlain are cute but my skin tone could never pull that off.

Bite is Canadian (from Toronto, to be exact).  They recently revamped their lipsticks and yeah, I miss their old ones - there's a discontinued shade called Cin Cin (which is the Anglicized spelling of my Chinese name).  I DO like that they have many lighter weight formulas as I don't really love a fully made-up face for every day (thanks, girls-only school education!). 

PRGal, I am looking forward to trying out the new lipstick when it arrives Tuesday (expected delivery date). Not hugely familiar with the old Bite formula - but I heard it was very good. I've been using up a lot of gift with purchase stuff that is wearable for me. Also looking forward to my two new Dior Addict ultraglosses - Diorama and UltraDior.

I try to stay away from all Kardashian products. Even some of my beloved Estee Lauder products, except for skincare.

When I get over my cold, I will start to use my new products. Still debating on the VIB Sephora discount. Most of my good ideas are already out of stock.

I love the Bite lipsticks as well. The colors are so rich, the formula is creamy and they stay on pretty well. I have a couple and just ordered another one from the Amuse Bouche line from Sephora. (VIB Rouge discount weekend!) I forget what color I ordered, but I was tempted to order like five of them. 

• Love 1

Tom Ford has a "Soliel" collection for Summer 2016 coming out. The packaging of course is beautiful, timeless, and elegant since that's the only way Tom Ford does it.

I was intrigued by the collection perfume but the smallest size is $220. The bronzed looks quite nice. It is wearable, well pigmented, and can even be used for contouring.

I bought the small bronzer during the Sephora VIB sale -15% off made it more enticing to try out. Found an Estée Lauder GWP bronzer in my stash and have no idea how long it will last. I looked at the $120 highlighter (Afternooner) on the site, but without seeing it, found it waaaay too expensive.

My Holts has most of the perfumes, but I have had a cold the past two weeks. I did a test spray of the new summer scent but it smelled like soap. Maybe when I am healthier. I do balk at the $250 price tag.

I've only swatched it so far. Now that my bug is gone, I'll be starting to use it next week. I'd been using the Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess bronzer for many years. The smaller size works better for me as the old EL packaging tended to get a bit grungy. Being Canadian and a bit pale, I use bronzer most of the year. I still have a gelee one that is too pretty to use. Time to shop my collection, such that it is.

Bite Beauty has come out with its new Amuse Bouce collection - Sweet and Savory.

now these are some daring and sexy colors I can get behind! And the pastels - the sweet are just quirky enough to not look commercial. 

image.jpeg

I suppose Temptalia will have swatches soon! I thought that the kale green and the blue-black lippies from the previous collection were fabulous!  I don't know if I would ever wear them. Certainly not to work. Been busy with work the past few weeks and have had no time to go anywhere. Am overdue for a trip to Sephora, but I did get an ebates email with 10% cashback. Hmmmm.

Did buy the Dior summer glow loose powder today. Had been eyeing it, tried it on at one place, and bought it at another (was sold out). Am waiting for the Chanel summer line to come out next week. The eyeshadow palette with the green and the ivory may work very well for me for summer and fall.

The collection looks lovely. Canadian prices will be higher at probably $68-70 for the lipstick and close to $90 for the powders. The lipstick would need to be extraordinary at that price.

• Love 1

Initially I thought I would snatch the new urban decay 'moon dust' palette. But after examinining I think it might be too metallic for me. 

I really like metallic and shimmering shadows esp by urban decay but this guy looks too foiled. 

Petunia13, I think it sold out within a few hours in the US. I managed to snag a set Friday evening here in Canada. It was 'sold out' here too, but one or two popped up back in the system late evening. Shades are fig, retsina, and musk. Maybe there are still many more discontinued luminous cream shades to come!

3 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Petunia13, I think it sold out within a few hours in the US. I managed to snag a set Friday evening here in Canada. It was 'sold out' here too, but one or two popped up back in the system late evening. Shades are fig, retsina, and musk. Maybe there are still many more discontinued luminous cream shades to come!

Actually I think I heard somewhere it sold out I forgot and misunderstood your post haha it was early. Fig and cosmic are pretty shades. 

Honestly it's a bit annoying how things sell out so much at Sephora and on brand sites themselves. I think it's on purpose 

Sephora had a nice Lancôme skin care sample if you bought $35 (?) worth of stuff. Lo and behold, it was gone within a short time - not even 24 hours. The only real bonus for me was 8% cash back from eBates.

The whole limited edition stuff is a real turn off with perceived inflated demand and limited supply. Which results in some people snapping up the products and making a fortune on eBay. It is great for the bloggers who receive samples to review, but not for the rest of us. I would like to see the seasonal products be available all season, and not have a buying frenzy for the first two hours. Make an additional 10% worth of product.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, steelcitysister said:

NARS is rolling out an LE collection of its Orgasm blush stick. A few stores out here (SoCal) already have some items in stock. I can't wear this goldeny-peach color but I tested the lipstick on my hand and will say the satin finish is beautiful. Anyway, FYI:

http://www.sephora.com/the-orgasm-collection-P419507?skuId=1951011&keyword=NARS The Orgasm Collection

I have the gloss in that collection and it's absolutely wonderful. Especially layered over a matte liquid lipstick like the Liquid Catsuit by Wet n Wild on Rose shade. 

On 5/27/2017 at 1:40 PM, steelcitysister said:

NARS is rolling out an LE collection of its Orgasm blush stick. A few stores out here (SoCal) already have some items in stock. I can't wear this goldeny-peach color but I tested the lipstick on my hand and will say the satin finish is beautiful. Anyway, FYI:

http://www.sephora.com/the-orgasm-collection-P419507?skuId=1951011&keyword=NARS The Orgasm Collection

On 5/27/2017 at 4:35 PM, Petunia13 said:

I have the gloss in that collection and it's absolutely wonderful. Especially layered over a matte liquid lipstick like the Liquid Catsuit by Wet n Wild on Rose shade. 

Annoyed! My Orgasm gloss broke a couple weeks ago. The entire top part -the black rubberized part that screws into the cap that's attached to the clear plastic - became unattached to both, like it wasn't melded on correctly. I hadn't banged it or anything I had in in my dress shirt pocket and before that in a padded cosmetics bag. Anyways it was now unable to close the entire top open and oozing. 

I finally found time to go to Sephora and they are sold out of the collection! So I had to get the Gloss in another shade Super Orgasm which is pinker and the Orgasm gloss was gorgeous. ??

WTF? Trendmood just posted photos of Too Faced Christmas 2017 collection. ?

I think she's actually mistaken though and it's their back to school / fall college collection. It looked like it's 3 smallish palletes like a pop of color one, neutral, and contour one that fit in a dayplanner and it has a pencil holder inside with a Better Than Sex mascara jammed in. 

Ordered the UD Moondust palette that went down to $49 CAD from $70, along with the new Bite Beauty Éclair liquid lip colour.

Since I am going to a music festival in a couple weeks, I also got the new Chanel gel foundation. Easier to lug in the bag than a bottle.

• Love 1