Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Miss Universe - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Miss Colombia reminded me of Sophia Vergara, and for that reason alone I didn't want Miss Columbia to win.

Sofia Vergara actually tweeted her support for Miss Colombia after tis whole mess happened (she's also Colombian), and Michael K at Dlisted called her "Sofia Vergara Lite", LOL.

Edited by UYI

Sofia Vergara actually tweeted her support for Miss Colombia after tis whole mess happened (she's also Colombian), and Michael K at Dlisted called her "Sofia Vergara Lite", LOL.

Yeah, I knew Sophia was Colombian.  

Looks like Steve will get a chance to redeem himself as the pageant's host. According to Entertainment Tonight (aka ET), between the time he was named as Host & the pageant itself, he signed a multi-year deal to host it, for a timeframe of 3 to 6 or 7 years (I, at least, am not completely clear if that includes the just aired pageant or not, but I think it does); the deal is said to be "massive"--financially worth more than they've ever paid a host.

http://m.etonline.com/news/178599_inside_steve_harvey_massive_multi_year_deal_to_host_miss_universe/

This pageant is a really big deal in Latin America...strange, but true. It gets huge ratings and is watched as avidly as a sporting match.

That said, it was hilarious to watch Harvey botch it so completely. I loathe the guy since he made public statements after the Michael Vick arrest, defending Vick since his torture of dogs didn't matter, since they were "just dogs"

Vick has since redeemed himself, and done good work with animal organizations, but Harvey is still a major douche.

That his tweets, since deleted, misspelled both Colombia and the Philippines, only amused me further.

Harvey, your failure was a pleasure to watch, and demonstrating that you are semi-literate, a bonus.

I was having a lot of 3 a.m. insomnia-fueled LOL's with this thread, until I learned this.  I was not aware. 

Bye, Steve.  I'm blocking you.

Not sure if there will be a new thread so I'll just post it here.  

Columbia and Philippines giving Steve Harvey flashbacks was worth it.  Columbia's "It's ok. Hug me!" and "People do hate you (in Columbia)" had me giggle snorting.

• Love 2

Miss Kenya wuz robbed! She had the hardest question--- about Donald Trump's executive orders. Everybody else had a general question or a question specific to their own country.

Also, I can't tell Colombia and Haiti apart. So, France for the win? They'll be announcing the winner in a minute.......

I was rooting for Miss Kenya.  Beautiful, elegant and poised.  That question was ridiculous.  I think Steve Harvey mentioned that the questions were online submissions?   Why on earth would the pageant organisers think that a question about Donald Trump would be an appropriate question for an international pageant?  These women are from all over the world, and I bet their own countries have enough problems of their own to worry about before wondering how damaging Trump's first 10 days were to the U.S.

Miss Kenya really got robbed.  She could done like Colombia and just say whatever she was going to say regardless of the question ("I understand that he is controversial but I hope this doesn't stop young women from believing in themselves") but I think she was flustered.

What percentage of the results are based on the viewer/fan vote?  Isn't the reason why Miss Philippines often wins the congeniality fan vote is because her country's fans apparently create bots or something to flood the ballot box.

I wanted Miss Haiti to win partly because I always root for the underdog countries, but I'm fine with Miss France winning.  She is beautiful and gracious and well spoken.  No hesitation at all in her answers.  I really liked how in the moments just before Steve announced the winner, she was seen on camera saying "you won" to Miss Haiti.  Then she looked utterly shocked and humbled when she was announced as the winner.

• Love 1

Well, it looks like Steve Harvey will continue to be the host and that's too bad.  I fear he'll do his "calling the wrong name" shtick every year.  He's an awful host and I just don't see what the producers see in him.

I was rooting for Miss Kenya, but I'm fine with Miss France winning.

• Love 2