Type keyword(s) to search

Eastenders (PBS) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
21 minutes ago, terrymct said:

Well, Pauline dying isn't really a surprise.  They've had her on a down and out trajectory for a while.  I had hoped that it would mean less of Sonya, because I'm sick to death of that character, but no.   Are we going to have to sit through a trial?  If they want to continue the Sonya character, they need to park her somewhere for at least a year.  Jail, Australia, India, someplace away from the Square, then bring her back with a fresh new outlook and the ability to interact differently with the other characters.   

Huh?  what happened?  Did I miss something about Pauline?  Are they showing different episodes in NYC from other locations?  Trial?  I have to say when I was watching last week's episodes, there seemed to be something missing. 

In one of the episodes from last week, we were back with Honey Mitchell seeming to like her baby all of a sudden.  Then came a call that a potential adopter/foster parent was available--of course!

There was also something where May was talking about how she found out about Dawn.  I didn't remember that happening the week before.

Edited by GussieK
2 hours ago, GussieK said:

Huh?  what happened?  Did I miss something about Pauline?  Are they showing different episodes in NYC from other locations?  Trial?  I have to say when I was watching last week's episodes, there seemed to be something missing. 

In one of the episodes from last week, we were back with Honey Mitchell seeming to like her baby all of a sudden.  Then came a call that a potential adopter/foster parent was available--of course!

There was also something where May was talking about how she found out about Dawn.  I didn't remember that happening the week before.

I'm in the DC area.  WE must be a couple of months ahead of you.   The good news for you is that there IS eventually an end to the Honey storyline.

23 minutes ago, terrymct said:

I'm in the DC area.  WE must be a couple of months ahead of you.   The good news for you is that there IS eventually an end to the Honey storyline.

Oh, that explains it.  Thanks.  I don't mind if you post spoilers of this type. 

On 7/10/2017 at 10:22 AM, terrymct said:

Well, Pauline dying isn't really a surprise.  They've had her on a down and out trajectory for a while.

Wendy Richard was also not happy with the storylines for Pauline towards the end of her time on the show, particularly the character remarrying after Arthur's death, and was quite vocal about it.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, last night's second episode was quite a hoot.  I loved the "brew-haha" between Stacey and Bradley's co-worker.  Good catfight.  Bradley really is a douche.  Poor Stacey, though. 

What's the bad news about Honey and/or Petal?  Did Petal suddenly die in a car crash on the way to the foster parents' home?  Good cliffhanger. 

Pauline is getting worse and worse.  I look forward to finding out what is happening. 

To Terrymct, you posted that in the DC area you may be a couple of months ahead of us.  Maybe that explains our DVR listings.  Last night's episodes were labeled as originally airing in April of 2017.  Maybe that's when they first show them in the US, but our PBS doesn't show them till now.  That would be a four-month difference.  Does that ring a bell with you?  I've always wondered what was going on with those dates that predated our airing by four months. 

Edited by GussieK
On 7/14/2017 at 11:31 AM, M. Darcy said:

If it helps, DC is now showing the episodes from January 2007.  

On 7/17/2017 at 10:09 AM, sugarbaker design said:

NY/NJ is early January 2007 as well.

Well, this is confusing. One of the D.C. viewers seems to have seen something later, but maybe that's because he/she watched a U.K. version too. 

4 hours ago, GussieK said:

Well, this is confusing. One of the D.C. viewers seems to have seen something later, but maybe that's because he/she watched a U.K. version too. 

I'm in the DC area watching on WETA (public TV station) only.  Pauline died and may get a final revenge on Sonya.  If it results in less Sonya on the screen, I'm all for it.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/17/2017 at 10:09 AM, sugarbaker design said:

NY/NJ is early January 2007 as well.

Okay, I am now officially befuddled.  Watched last night on WLIW channel 21.  Assuming you are watching that too, Sugarbaker. 

Last night's show was Christmas Eve, not January.  Did those episodes actually air in January 2007?  In any event, Pauline is still not dead!

I see that Honey came around to accepting her baby.  That was actually a nice ending.

The craziest part is the introduction of the new Stacey storyline where she is seducing Bradley's father and wrecking Bradley's car.  Whoa!  Remember Sean, Stacey's brother, keeps trying to seduce Bradley's stepmother, whatever her name is.   I may have to give this show up. 

On 7/19/2017 at 7:58 AM, terrymct said:

I'm in the DC area watching on WETA (public TV station) only.  Pauline died and may get a final revenge on Sonya.  If it results in less Sonya on the screen, I'm all for it.

See above! 

Edited by GussieK
12 hours ago, GussieK said:

Okay, I am now officially befuddled.  Watched last night on WLIW channel 21.  Assuming you are watching that too, Sugarbaker. 

Last night's show was Christmas Eve, not January.  Did those episodes actually air in January 2007?

Nope, I was just a few weeks off.  Apologies!

Greetings, US watchers.  I am going to the dark side--I got a subscription to Britbox.  Not just for this show.  They had other good things.  It's easy to do as an add on to Amazon Prime.

But I think I will continue to watch these old episodes too.  It's interesting to see some of the same actors ten years from now.  That's all I'll give so as not to spoil.  The following is funny and really won't spoil much for anyone if you want to check it out.

Spoiler

The actress who plays Dot is still on the show at the age of 90!  She doesn't look at day over 80.  That is, she looks exactly the same as she did in the 2007 episodes. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

But I think I will continue to watch these old episodes too.

I'm watching both versions also.   

It's interesting to see some of the same actors ten years from now. 

Spoiler

Especially little Jay and little Abby.  

10 hours ago, GussieK said:

I'm up to September 1. Wow, Max really is a dirtbag, isn't he. WTF with this fake cancer plot?  It's the height of soap opera absurdity. 

I was confused for a minute. This is from the new 2017 episodes, right?

Even given that this is a soap opera, I'm having trouble believing that a doctor would go so freaking bonkers with baby fever that she'd forgive her cheating husband just to get a baby that's half his.  Kick his arse to the curb and adopt a baby on her own, for heaven's sake.   How many more weeks does Dawn have in this pregnancy?  

2 hours ago, terrymct said:

Even given that this is a soap opera, I'm having trouble believing that a doctor would go so freaking bonkers with baby fever that she'd forgive her cheating husband just to get a baby that's half his.  Kick his arse to the curb and adopt a baby on her own, for heaven's sake.   How many more weeks does Dawn have in this pregnancy?  

I think the doctor is mentally ill, so I hope she doesn't go the adoption route because I think she'd be unfit and would hover over the poor child.  I agree she should kick hubby's arse to the curb, but she needs to get help.

• Love 1

How many more weeks does Dawn have in this pregnancy?  

She just passed the legal point for an abortion in England...so if you look up the laws in England 11 years ago....eh, I just looked up on Wikipedia.  She's due in June so we just have to figure out what month we are in on the show.  I can't remember if they have celebrated any holidays lately. 

Man, the storyline of Ben and Stella is just horrible.  I knew that he had been bullied by her but actually viewing it is just rough. 

• Love 1

And, Phil, way not to notice.  Or pay attention to Ian (which I can't blame him for). One second Ben is saying Stella hit him and now he wants Phil to marry her?  

Not surprising that Sophie Thompson is just awesome - starting out so meek and clumsy and turning into the evil bitch so easily. 

The story arc with Ben and Stella is so disturbing that I find it hard to watch.  Consequently, I've stopped watching on a regular basis and just check in now and then.  I'll be glad when it ends.  I want her to get run over by a bus.

On 1/16/2018 at 10:12 AM, M. Darcy said:

She just passed the legal point for an abortion in England...so if you look up the laws in England 11 years ago....eh, I just looked up on Wikipedia.  She's due in June so we just have to figure out what month we are in on the show.  I can't remember if they have celebrated any holidays lately. 

Man, the storyline of Ben and Stella is just horrible.  I knew that he had been bullied by her but actually viewing it is just rough. 

It’s around April because of the flyer that that boy forged that gave out the free haircuts or whatever at the salon. The flyer said that it was an Easter promotion.

Edited by Deni

Currently watching in the DC area.  

The Steven story line is pushing incredulity, even for a soap opera.  Steven stalked and tormented the family, lying to Lucy that her mother is still alive.  Then he kidnaps and hold Ian captive for weeks, culminating with Jane being shot and losing her ability to have children.  

Why aren't people other than Jane more upset about all this?  Why does Pat think that people should just forgive him?  Why didn't Lucy mind that Steven pretended Cindy was still alive?  Why has Ian forgotten he was kidnapped and held prisoner?   It's like they've all lost their collective minds.  With all the grudge holding we've seen on Eastenders over the years, I really don't understand what the writers were thinking on this one.   Has Steven been cured so rapidly of his psychiatric/emotional issues with just that brief stay in a facility?

The story line would have been fine, if way way over the top, if it ended with Steven in the psychiatric facility.

• Love 1

Watching in the DC area.

Poor Kevin.  That was an appropriate way for him to go and it certainly sets up a bunch of new drama, but I'm firmly in the camp saying that it should have been Shirley.  I find her a much less interesting character than Kevin.

On 7/15/2019 at 11:50 AM, terrymct said:

Watching in the DC area.

Poor Kevin.  That was an appropriate way for him to go and it certainly sets up a bunch of new drama, but I'm firmly in the camp saying that it should have been Shirley.  I find her a much less interesting character than Kevin.

Agree, but I think the Kevin actor quit. 

13 hours ago, politichick said:

Agree, but I think the Kevin actor quit. 

That makes sense, thank you.

Now I'm left figuring out why Ian can get over behind held captive for so long, as well as getting over Jane being shot.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

What wedding?  In my neck of the woods Tony was just arrested.

DC is a few episodes ahead. It’s a many years old spoiler but just in case 

Spoiler

Janine pretending to be a Jewish woman (either Orthodox or Conservative, I’m Reform and still not sure what the ceremony was) marrying a much much older guy 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 1

Sad news.  BBC Studios has decided to stop distributing  EastEnders to PBS stations in the U.S.  In DC, December 11th is when the last episode will air.  I did ask them on twitter to change their minds but no response. 

Grr.  They could have waited a few months - we're never going to see a  lot of major storylines that were not that far away.  

• Love 1

Sad news, they've already stopped airing EE eps in my market.  I was looking forward to the story of Christian's new relationship.

However, I'm watching EE in real time on Britbox.  Some of the same characters from 2009 like Denise, Patrick, Jean, Stacy, Billy and Phil.  It has old faves like Sharon and Kat, along with a whole slew of new characters.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Washington Post  article about the the loss of Eastenders in the DC area. 

I agree with that one viewer, Eastenders 2022 is not the same as Eastenders 1988.  I'm watching the current episodes on Britbox, and they're fine.  There are familiar faces like Phil, Sharon, Kat, Whitney, Jean and Stacy.  But every once in a while I wonder where's Minty?  What happened to Gary?  Did Peggy and Archie ever get married?  Too many unanswered questions.

Thanks for posting the article. I miss EE so much, having been watching it since the 80s. I'd love to go back and watch from the beginning, if the episodes were made available. As the article said, even if we suscribe to Britbox to watch current episodes, we still have 13 years of episodes we missed, due to the scheduling lag here in the U.S.

For now, I'm going to pretend everyone's just off hitchhiking around Europe or visiting relatives or partying in Ibiza (AKA Eye-beeetha).

• Love 1