Type keyword(s) to search

The Bullpen

• Start Topic

Where's his second gun? Guess he done got rolled

Hopefully, his ankle gun is safely tucked into a locked cabinet and not in the hands of an unsub.

Meanwhile Dr. Spencer Reid is in a FBI broom closet with his hands underneath Bookish Jen's cashmere sweater set. It was initially the librarian of Bookish Jen's slutty librarian style that attracted Dr. Reid, but he must admit he's not immune to her "slutty" charms. And Bookish Jen is not immune to Dr. Reid's, well, everything.

• Love 2

Sufferin' Sophocles! What a dashing lady you are! I musn't disappoint you!

I'm a little too young to have appreciated the Beatles during their hey day, but I am a huge fan, and I even got to hold John Lennon's acoustic guitar. Yoko Ono donated his guitar to the Chicago Peace Museum where my friends and I volunteered. We were helping the staff set up some exhibits at an event celebrating John Lennon. One of the staff members was trying to set up a display and asked me told hold Mr. Lennon's guitar for a few brief moments. Yes, I got to hold John Lennon's acoustic guitar for about a half a minute, truly one of the top rock and roll moments of my life.

• Love 3

Hopefully, his ankle gun is safely tucked into a locked cabinet and not in the hands of an unsub.

Meanwhile Dr. Spencer Reid is in a FBI broom closet with his hands underneath Bookish Jen's cashmere sweater set. It was initially the librarian of Bookish Jen's slutty librarian style that attracted Dr. Reid, but he must admit he's not immune to her "slutty" charms. And Bookish Jen is not immune to Dr. Reid's, well, everything.

Hahahaha, I envision the good Doctor having absconded to the closet with your cashmere sweater, you nowhere in sight (or touch), just that soft, sooooft, sooooooooooft sweater....

• Love 1

Hahahaha, I envision the good Doctor having absconded to the closet with your cashmere sweater, you nowhere in sight (or touch), just that soft, sooooft, sooooooooooft sweater....

Well, that's no fun, Spencer feeling up my sweater but I'm not in it.

• Love 1

So as I was working on my chart things I decided to get my DVD's out instead of using Netflix so I could slow it down to understand something Hotch was saying.

I assumed you worked with .sub files. Watching and writing down every script is a huge task. I bow to your commitment to your statistics. I know there are episodes I wouldn't watch again, not even if I was paid for...

• Love 3

So as I was working on my chart things I decided to get my DVD's out instead of using Netflix so I could slow it down to understand something Hotch was saying. 

sorry but wouldn't it be easier to just put on the closed captioning? I do that quite frequently anyway cause the music and soundeffects are often so loud I can't hear what's being said......that, and to be able to at least read when I can't hear the dialogue because the inhouse peanut gallery is yapping away. (If I did that during their shows, boy would I hear about it!)

• Love 1

The result was hilarious. If you watch the an at episode at about 0.60 speed Reid sounds really high and cautious and everyone else seems inebriated. Garcia sounds like a little girl and the theme song is even better. So, if you have the DVD's I recommend watching an episode slowed down if you want to be entertained. 

The new and improved theme song can be a new jam for Spencer, Hold My Earrings.

Thanks, JMO, that article was very interesting. Breen sounds like a sweetheart, humble, not taking himself so seriously. And I like that he acknowledged places in his writing where the plausibility collapsed, but sometimes the pacing picked it up. And his attitude towards the fans is great, like he thinks it's our job to tell him exactly what we thought. (Take that, Virgil!)

Edited by normasm
  • Love 4

Ah, Timothy Vogel and his “lousy shot”. Gideon was so lucky in that one.

makes me wish I'd watched it when it originally aired. Timothy Vogel was portrayed by Andrew Jackson, a Canadian actor from Newmarket, Ontario and one of the nicest kindest human beings ever.

• Love 1

That's great, I love when they are showing episodes I love.

I've been lucky lately. However, I watched one I do hate yesterday, the one in season six where Reid is being tested because of his headaches and the unsub uses voodoo rituals :(

• Love 1

I love that one, smoker! I love the guy who plays Julio. I agree, the storyline for Reid was lame-ass, but he was gorgeous and it was entertaining.

The one I rolled my eyes at that was on today was The Fight. God, don't even get me started.

• Love 2

I don't know why I don't like it guys but my gut tells me to dislike it for some reason hahaha

the fight is awful, and the way they introduced the team is not different to the way they are doing it now. Moreover, I can't stand Forrest W., he's always going to be Lt. Kavanaug for me and I'm so sorry for Jason Wiles because I do love Boscorelli... and as SSAHotchner pointed out, Rossi is stealing his line, jxxk-off! xD

Edited by smoker

I don't know why I don't like it guys but my gut tells me to dislike it for some reason hahaha

the fight is awful, and the way they introduced the team is not different to the way they are doing it now. Moreover, I can't stand Forrest W., he's always going to be Lt. Kavanaug for me and I'm so sorry for Jason Wiles because I do love Boscorelli... and as SSAHotchner pointed out, Rossi is stealing his line, jxxk-off! xD

I'm one of the (maybe) 2 people who didn't mind The Fight, but the set up to how amazing Forrest Whitaker's character is supposed to be was annoying. I hate it when they try to bombard us with how great a new character is in one episode. But I loved some of the interactions between our team and the other team, especially Emily and the Welsh guy. However, once they spun off, that team had zero chemistry with each other and FW's line delivery became more and more stilted. It always felt to me as if he had learned his lines in segments and would pause between each segment. It was a very unnatural way to speak. I also can't stand Janeane Garofalo personally. I think she's an okay actor, but I don't care for her as a person. Anyway, I saw those two episodes from the first season on ION the other day and almost cried. The show just flowed so well and the plots were so much more interesting. There was so much better involvement of the whole team, even though you could tell the difference between the experienced agents and the younger ones. And Garcia wasn't a shrieking moron. What a pity that they let that show slip away.

• Love 2

However, once they spun off, that team had zero chemistry with each other and FW's line delivery became more and more stilted. It always felt to me as if he had learned his lines in segments and would pause between each segment. It was a very unnatural way to speak.

Not that I disagree with you about The Fight, SSAHotchner[, but I think that's always been Whittaker's style. Even when he played Idi Amin in The Last King of Scotland, there would be these occasional odd pauses in his dialogue, as though he was trying to remember what he was supposed to say next. Generally speaking, he's a good actor, but his style can get on your nerves.

• Love 1

Random is random, but the first half of The Fisher King is on ION right now, and Elle's 'Thanks, Dad' smirk when Hotch shows up at the police station makes me smile even as it break my heart a little. Because we never really see her happy again after that, and then she slides off the rails. Sigh.

• Love 6

I think this is one of the many reasons so many of us have turned against JJ. It's not just the total destruction of her character, but the fact that her fans are so touchy and defensive. I end up associating all of them with JJ and by extension, the actress who plays her.

I'm sorry (and i know i'm a month late to be angry about this) but this is just WRONG. omg...

I really wouldn't be shocked if AJ left at the end of s11 or s12. The way she's being treated is beyond heartbreaking.

every fanbase has a few embarrassing fans ... What they did was wrong. They're immature teenagers with no life, but... It says everything about them, and NOTHING about AJ / JJ.

OMFG.... the 13 year olds are out. Or at least, the acts-like-they're-13 are out. Wow. Just wow. 

Really...does anyone really think that AJ Cook gives a rat's patoot as to whether Josh Stewart 'follows' her or not? She tweets so seldom I don't think it matters to her AT ALL. Certainly don't believe she'd be *offended*.  Honestly, I doubt most of the actors even read  most of this kind of stuff. Who'd have the TIME!?  Pretty sure if, say, Shemar has something important to tell Matthew, for example, he'd either call him or text him directly....or talk to him at work the next day or whatever.

Man, how did these kids ever live before social media???

""Man, how did these kids ever live before social media???""

Something's lacking in their lives. 

Random is random, but the first half of The Fisher King is on ION right now, and Elle's 'Thanks, Dad' smirk when Hotch shows up at the police station makes me smile even as it break my heart a little. Because we never really see her happy again after that, and then she slides off the rails. Sigh.

I've been watching some of the season 1 episodes on ION, too, even though it annoys the living daylights out of my husband because I have the DVDS, well, at least seasons 1-7. I just love Elle. I don't think I did at first, and maybe it's just because the show has gotten so bad that I really appreciate everything about the early seasons, but there's a lot of humor in Elle's lines and the way she relates to the other team members. And she's never dismissive with Reid. She treats him like an adult. 

• Love 8

As a slightly related note, I think Glaudini must have invested her CM money really wisely, because she doesn't show up in nearly as many projects as I think she should. Considering that Elle was only in 28 episodes out of two hundred and fifty and we're still talking about her, her acting leaves an impression outside of simple nostalgia.

• Love 5

I've been watching some of the season 1 episodes on ION, too, even though it annoys the living daylights out of my husband because I have the DVDS, well, at least seasons 1-7. I just love Elle. I don't think I did at first, and maybe it's just because the show has gotten so bad that I really appreciate everything about the early seasons, but there's a lot of humor in Elle's lines and the way she relates to the other team members. And she's never dismissive with Reid. She treats him like an adult. 

On the surface, Elle comes across as just another "tough girl from NYC with a major chip on her shoulder." But there are so many times when she shows genuine warmth, kindness and vulnerability. I really liked Elle even though someone like her might intimidate me at first. Plus, like you, I appreciated how she treated Reid like an adult and an equal. Plus, if you read Cobalt Stargazer's fan fic, you know Elle made a man out of Reid. And for that we should erect a statue in her honor.

• Love 3

"also fun to use in other ways"

Someone needs to find one of these and send it to Props

BTW, Booky, it's just not CM Wednesday until your weirdness makes it so. I humbly thank you.

"Daddy Saddle" Spencer, Hold My Earrings latest hit song.

I triple dog dare ya to find this and send it to props!

And please tell me my weirdness is charming and not unsubalicious.

• Love 3

On the surface, Elle comes across as just another "tough girl from NYC with a major chip on her shoulder." But there are so many times when she shows genuine warmth, kindness and vulnerability. I really liked Elle even though someone like her might intimidate me at first. Plus, like you, I appreciated how she treated Reid like an adult and an equal. Plus, if you read Cobalt Stargazer's fan fic, you know Elle made a man out of Reid. And for that we should erect a statue in her honor.

I always thought Elle was 'cool'

but for me, CM "started" when Paget joined the cast as Emily Prentiss and Joe Mantegna as David Rossi. (Gideon was just weird)

'Also fun to use in other ways', 'washable vinyl coating' and 'adjustable cinch' sound way more dirty now than they probably did at the time.

I once wrote an article about sex toys and I believe I used these very same phrases.

And you just know Matthew probably had to wear something like a Daddy Saddle during his modeling days, thinking to himself, "WTF?" And this is a guy who wears mismatched socks and probably combs his hair with an egg beater.

• Love 2

Well, as a member of said "awful group of people in real life," I hope it's ok for me to chime in on this.

I don't get why people foam at the mouth and feel like they have to mob someone in defense of the object(s) of their affections. It's not like Josh tweeted that he unfollowed people -- people went looking for it. If I were AJC, I would be so embarrassed that people acted this way in my "defense." MGG's fans can be so similar, as has been previously pointed out. It's one thing to grumble on a message board but entirely another to start some sort of Twitter campaign.

That being said, I do wonder why Josh felt it necessary to unfollow AJ and her husband, when he continues to follow MGG and Paget, etc. I get that he's closer with them, but AJ and Nathan are only two more people -- all associated with his time on CM. Seems silly to me. It's not like they clog up his Twitter feed.

AMEN Droogie, I especially loved your first part of the statement.

"Happy Saturday, my nerds!" *

Words to live by to potential unsubs.

0519c197bdc296731542f59df0f4bb45cedce6-w

*I didn't post anything last Wednesday because CM was pre-empted, but I thought this was too clever to wait until next Wednesday.

Edited by Bookish Jen
  • Love 4

The discussion about the upcoming 'Derek', and the promo for that episode brought me back to our prior two agent kidnappings.  It seems like this current set of writers has become progressively more violent and graphic in their product, having long since abdicated the responsibility to write about criminal MINDS.  

In Revelations, we saw Reid restrained in a chair, not strung from the ceiling nor put into crucifixion position.  His drugging was a perverse attempt by the mentally ill unsub to help him with his pain. His beatings took place largely off screen, and his torture was mental.  He was able to use his MIND to try to get inside that of the unsub, and thereby save himself.

In (the awful) 200, we  have JJ strung up by the arms, waterboarded, burned (can't remember if it was a taser).  No attempt was made to indicate that it was necessary or desirable to get into the minds of her captors, and we didn't see her make any such effort.  But she did manage to hang prettily off the side of a building.

Now we see Morgan drugged, kicked, abducted by a group of men who look to be carrying out some sort of revenge mission.  They don't appear to be serial killers, and it's doubtful we'll be getting inside their minds. We also see Morgan in full crucifixion position, electrodes attached, torture-ready.  

To me, the prolonged and repeated depiction of graphic violence and torture in place of  exploring the various psyches involved is a regression in the quality of the writing.  It's simpleton writing.  Claims by some to the contrary, it really doesn't require a whole lot of thought. 

We are repeatedly shown what the unsub does, but not why he or she does it.  We're quickly thrown some possible precipitating cause based on the unsub's past history.  But, unlike with Tobias Hankel, we're not brought through the process that led the unsub from there to here.  It's usually some childhood trauma that has caused them to kill a phenotype/personality type/ victim type that seems completely unrelated to the trauma.  Neither our on screen profilers, nor we, get into the mind of the unsub enough to understand how A becomes B. We're left to guess that on our own. Begging the question of why one would need the BAU to be involved.  

I would much rather tune in to a battle of wits that engages me thoughtfully, than to be presented with cringe-worthy depictions of graphic violence.  Please come back, Criminal MINDS.

Edited by JMO
  • Love 11