Type keyword(s) to search

The Bullpen

• Start Topic

I don't necessarily think the part about apologizing is true, particularly when it comes to family. I'm sick and exhausted and just flipped out at my sister (who is visiting from out of town) for no reason and 10 minutes later we were laughing. She knew I didn't mean anything by it and we obviously know each other well enough for an apology to be unnecessary.

Well, we will agree to disagree; at least I hope we do. We apologize in my family, when we've wronged one another. They are the most precious people in the world to me, so not apologizing when I'm wrong means I take them for granted, and I never want to do that. They are deserving of my best efforts.

Not necessarily. I recall a time when Morgan asked Reid, apparently in all seriousness, "Is it that difficult for you to be normal, just one time?" And then there's Garcia saying that her attending that con thing with him was acceptable because she could never be sexually attracted to him. Hell, even Alex asked him where he rated on the Goddamn Asperger's scale in one of her first episodes.

The difference is, Alex was the only one out of those four instances who apologized, and even though Reid blew it off as a non-issue, she told him she was sorry, which is what you're supposed to do when you say something that's potentially hurtful. I can see how it comes off like harping, but I really don't understand why its so damn terrible to take exception to the lack of an apology. I'm willing to believe that JJ didn't mean it, that she wasn't being serious. I am. If anything, I would rather not hate her, because at this points its clear she isn't going anywhere. But the writing doesn't make it easy for me.

Yes.

She has apologized to him before, it's not like she's never (Spence... I'm sorry!), but I think the magnitude of her issue at that given time was so extreme, she was feeling nearly out of her mind and I can understand how the last thing on her mind was to apologize to her friend. I feel that she did not mean it viciously, so why should there be a mandatory apology? That's the way I see it, anyway.

Not mandatory, just decent. It didn't have to be that minute, or even that day, but when she calmed down she should've done it. Honestly, I didn't see her as necessarily out of her mind, just upset and that because Reid was onto her. Hotch beating Foyet to death was "out of his mind." In fact, if he'd somehow insulted Reid in the midst of splattering Foyet's brains all over the floor, I might even have given him a pass.

• Love 4

My guess is that the reality is found in the middle ground.  By that, I mean that, if you've lost control of your emotions and been harsh with a family member or friend, because you love them, you will want to apologize.  And, because they love you, they won't care if you do.  They'll just be glad you're feeling better.  In the end, I don't think it would matter at all to a real relationship.

I don't know if JJ apologized.  We weren't shown it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.  But I also don't think Reid was looking for an apology, because he recognized that the 'Stop being you' was a plea, and not an insult.  I don't actually think his feelings were hurt.  I think he was worried about her, and even more so after she came so close to losing control. 

• Love 4

Oh, well... The forever people episode was poorly conceived in so many ways that it makes it easy to hate. Poor plot, complete disdain for law and enforcement procedures, repetitive trauma story development, cliche reactions, magic databases and disregard from previous canon features of several characters. And in top of that, the worst dialogue choices they could write.

It was a BAD episode with capital letters.

• Love 8

I agree, MCatry. I like to fanwank that perhaps Reid and JJ had a heart to heart off-screen or Reid somehow "understood" what was going on...I mean, at face value everything looks bad for JJ in her reaction to Reid but the show isn't designed to really show their interactions well, so I don't draw too much from that incident.

Besides, writers write "dramatic" scenes all the time and then write the characters involved in another scene as if nothing happened...CM isn't the first show to do something like that nor will they be the last. They probably could have had a scene where JJ apologizes, but that'd be kind of boring and writers have more interesting things to explore (not to mention time constraints). Unless it's a "big" incident, you don't typically see apologies on TV in general.

• Love 4

ITA Daniel, but as CoStar said, this seems to happen to Reid more than the others. At the end of the episode, it would have worked and been fitting, when he was giving her the info he got from Emily, for her to say a quick, "Hey, I'm sorry..." (because here he is, still sticking his neck out and trying to help her). Wouldn't have taken anything away from her at all and in fact would've gone a long way toward redeeming the character for me.

• Love 4

I think part of it could be that they know we want to see Reid more than the others, so they write scenes for him that are out of their wheelhouse. They want to please Reid fans by showing his beautiful face onscreen, but don't give him the complexity or the depth he had in the earlier seasons. Hell, I could write Spencer better than they do, a lot of the time. 

That said, EVERY Reid scene isn't a disaster. I thoroughly enjoyed season 9's heroics, and season 8 had emotion ON TAP for Spencer. As long as he's front and center (and I know people will say he isn't that enough, but I want to see Hotch just as much), I love it. 

Yes, except for The Forever People. They ruined that one for us, didn't they. It could have been so much better. 

• Love 3

I have to say that with apologies, I think it depends on the type of person. In my family only some people apologize when they realize they've been hurtful or wrong. My father and I were the ones who would apologize. My brother sometimes does, but he doesn't like to admit he's wrong. My mother almost never used to apologize. Because I'm not a confrontational person and I tend to not stay angry at people for long (unless they *really* fuck up), I've gone from having a family member lash out and be a dick to being fine and having no problems without an apology from them because I forgave them for it or just decided it wasn't worth staying upset over. Granted, there have been times where I stayed upset for longer because I really needed an apology but accepted that one wasn't forthcoming.

I think Reid probably does about the same thing. I'm sure he knows all about the statistics of interpersonal relations and has learned to pick his fights and when to call someone out and when to just let it slide. I think he recognized that JJ was hurting and didn't take it personally. I also think he recognized that Garcia was being irrational and let her rude comment slide. Now, if you go and watch LDSK again, just watch his face when Hotch is trash-talking him. He might as well have been kickign him already. But, Reid realized what Hotch was doing and Hotch apologized for kicking him (and I took it to be an apology for the verbal kicking as well). I think most of the time Reid just chooses to take the high road. I think that makes the team take him for granted sometimes.

I still hated those scenes in Forever People though.

• Love 6

For some reason I just remembered that there used to be a blog called cockblockingrossi. It was created by fans who shipped reid and Prentiss. They noted that almost every time reid and prentiss had a "moment" or were close to having one, Rossi would walk over or get in the way of the camera. So they made a meme where you could paste this pic of Rossi over happy couples or in the middle of groups and such.

tumblr_lfrkpmlzFn1qgd9peo1_400.png

And then you end up with something like this:

tumblr_lg66ya4ECn1qgd9peo1_500.jpg

• Love 3

"Oh, Mandy, well you came and you gave without takin', but I sent you away, oh Mandy....."

No, I can't explain why that pic brought that song to mind.

Bwah! Personally, I think the gingerbread man is supposed to be some kind of aphrodisiac.

• Love 2

"The Longest Night" is on A&E right now. In the past, I've sort of liked this episode. Never mind Ellie, now I'm watching it through my filter of the past few seasons, and I just can't with JJ. She's really good in this, but I'm so tired of her "brilliance" at this point.

She's a mother, did you know?

Edited by Droogie
  • Love 4

"The Longest Night" is on A&E right now. In the past, I've sort of liked this episode. Never mind Ellie, now I'm watching it through my filter of the past few seasons, and I just can't with JJ. She's really good in this, but I'm so tired of her "brilliance" at this point.

She's a mother, did you know?

And supposedly some government officials were so impressed with the way JJ talked Billy Flynn into surrendering and decided she'd be the perfect choice to head up that task force in search of Bin Laden. Droogie I had a similar reaction to the episode JJ. Once upon a time I just saw it as a nice tribute episode that  MESSer had written for one of the long time characters the show was having to say good bye to. Today however I see it as an episode that clearly shows that MESSer had/has the character of JJ on some sort of pedestal.

• Love 6

Has anyone noticed how off the view to reply ratio is on this website? On the post for 'The Job' there's already 320 views and 10 replies. I think there's more lurkers than participators on this site.

I think it is usually the case that there are more lurkers than participators, however, I wonder if the site tracks unique visitors. For example, say every time there is a new post, I go into the thread to read it. I don't necessarily respond to any of those posts, but that's 11 views (1 for the original post and then 10 for the 10 replies). That would significantly skew the results.

• Love 2

I hope its appropriate to put this here.

Dear ION Network,

Please stop farting around with your schedule. I know you're having to accommodate the L & O franchise now, but not being able to keep track of when you're running CM is very annoying. I missed The Instincts tonight. and no it doesn't matter how many times I've already seen it. Stop it. Stop it now.

Yours in Annoyance,

Cobalt Stargazer

• Love 9

Dear ION Network Parte the Seconde;

Further investigation of your schedule informs me that, although you have now acquired season ten of the show, Mr. Scratch is the only episode that isn't listed to be aired. All of the others, including Burn and The Forever People, are scheduled, but Mr. Scratch isn't? Is there a copyright issue? Is it that the episode is "too scary" for our weak little constitutions to handle it? You can show us Garcia wibbling over Reid's would-be murderer and JJ saving the day while having a mental breakdown, but you can't show us something interesting? Ya'll kinda suck.

Hoping your scheduling abilities improve,

CoStar

• Love 6

"Happy Wednesday, my nerds!"

Dapper Derek Morgan says, "Hey, Baby Girl. How do you like your Chocolate Thunder now? I bet you're just mad for a man in plaid."

12140800_10153662135211585_1565662105373

Dear ION Network Parte the Seconde;

Further investigation of your schedule informs me that, although you have now acquired season ten of the show, Mr. Scratch is the only episode that isn't listed to be aired. All of the others, including Burn and The Forever People, are scheduled, but Mr. Scratch isn't? Is there a copyright issue? Is it that the episode is "too scary" for our weak little constitutions to handle it? You can show us Garcia wibbling over Reid's would-be murderer and JJ saving the day while having a mental breakdown, but you can't show us something interesting? Ya'll kinda suck.

Hoping your scheduling abilities improve,

CoStar

Mr. Scratch not to be aired on ION? Clearly the terrorists have won. Now excuse me while I go under my desk, crawl into the fetal position and shed many tears of angst.

• Love 5

Does anyone know if the thing in Nameless, Faceless when it's mentioned that LC is a medical abbreviation for 'living children' is actually true? If you google it there's only Criminal Minds and I don't think I can cite an IMDB recap page as a reference in my homework

Not commonly - it may be used in some places, but typically (if the patient is a woman) it's described using gravida/parity and then they might add "L" with a number for living children. If the patient is male, it would usually only be mentioned in the medical records if it's relevant to the social situation, and in that case, it would probably be more specific than just "LC".

• Love 2

Does anyone know if the thing in Nameless, Faceless when it's mentioned that LC is a medical abbreviation for 'living children' is actually true? If you google it there's only Criminal Minds and I don't think I can cite an IMDB recap page as a reference in my homework

Not related at all, but there are these books called the In Death series, written by J.D. Robb, which is a pseudonym for Nora Roberts. Despite that, I enjoy the books, which are a mix of romance novel and sci fi mystery. The term "LC" is used frequently there, but in the case of the books it means Licensed Companion, which is basically a hooker who has to have papers to ply his or her trade.

More relevantly, due to being sick at home, I'm watching Compromising Positions on ION right now, and Craig Sheffer, the actor playing the UnSub, looks exactly like Chris Pratt to me due to being bearded and heavier than he once was. So it's freaking me out a little because I keep wondering why Starlord is going to orgies or whatever and killing people.

Second relevant thing - Nelson's Sparrow will be airing on ION tonight at 10 PM Eastern. Still no Mr. Scratch, but Nelson's Sparrow being present in the lineup almost makes up for it.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 2

Well it looks like based upon what Shemar Moore has just instagram, some people are speculating episode 10 is his last .I am really depressed right now. Morgan is no longer a favorite of mines,but I am still quite fond of him.Newbie imo is going to be a poor subsitute for him. Heck I am already having problems with her because I now feel like she is being shoved down my throat ala JJ. Sadly I predict "The JJ & Tara show" in the not too distant future.

ETA: I have since learned that according to the script Morgan is going to be in episode 11. That makes me feel better. If Matthew is indeed going to direct Morgan's departure than it has to be episode # 18

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 2

It (ep 11) could be a flashback of Morgan scenes over the years. I hope he's not out, but, yeah, he sounds like he's at least 1 foot and a couple of toes out the door.

Edited by normasm
  • Love 2

He always says, "keep focused on your dreams and bring positive change into your life"...so I'm not quite sure he's done.

But Daniel, in his latest instagram posting Shemar said something about being done with the Hollywood life.Of course that could mean something entirely different.

If it's the one where he's sitting on a couch with glasses and trying too hard to give off that sad puppy look...I think he means he's "done for the day". He always says he's "setting up life for tomorrow".

Besides, he sounds perpetually high and completely random...who knows what he actually thinks?

• Love 3

zannej said they are doing worse in the ratings, I just checked this week and if I understood well (I really don't understand how it works) they did 8.5 millions, I'd never worried more than necessary while they were above 10 M, but doing worse...
it's sad because the premiere was an ok episode and "code black" looks good and they could have taken advantage of it, but I don't know if nostalgia will be enough. what's wrong with Messer? she is shitting in her own show, is she blind? it's been years and her style stinks, I just don't understand because she is the showrunner but the show belongs to some company (ABC/Disney?), it was a worthwhile show...

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/10/22/wednesday-final-ratings-oct-21-2015/479869/

Edited by smoker
  • Love 3

If it's the one where he's sitting on a couch with glasses and trying too hard to give off that sad puppy look...I think he means he's "done for the day". He always says he's "setting up life for tomorrow".

Besides, he sounds perpetually high and completely random...who knows what he actually thinks?

Shemar does tend to talk in bumper sticker, Hallmark Card and refrigerator magnet like language.

• Love 3

zannej said they are doing worse in the ratings, I just checked this week and if I understood well (I really don't understand how it works) they did 8.5 millions, I'd never worried more than necessary while they were above 10 M, but doing worse...

it's sad because the premiere was an ok episode and "code black" looks good and they could have taken advantage of it, but I don't know if nostalgia will be enough. what's wrong with Messer? she is shitting in her own show, is she blind? it's been years and her style stinks, I just don't understand because she is the showrunner but the show belongs to some company (ABC/Disney?), it was a worthwhile show...

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/10/22/wednesday-final-ratings-oct-21-2015/479869/

The only thing that might save CM is the fact that some of the other CBS procedural are doing worse. Also despite those ratings CM has not yet fallen below the network's scripted average,but neither is it above average at the moment. They can't blame it all on Empire. The fact is CM use to be eons ahead of L&O:SVU in the all important 18-49 demo. It was only on those rare occasions when CM would be beaten by SVU in that demo. Nowadays the 2 shows are often within 1 rating point of each other. The bottom line is SVU appears to have grown in its demo while CM's has declined.

Edited by missmycat
  • Love 4

According to the TV Grim Reaper, who used to be The Cancellation Bear over at TV By The Numbers (the site now has someone else doing The Cancel Bear's stuff), CM is sixth out of CBS' 15 shows, and is third out of 11 dramas. So despite the numbers falling, it appears to be in good shape.

(As The Grim Reaper would say, shows don't compete with other shows on other networks- they compete with shows on the same network)

• Love 7