Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Charleston, South Carolina

For the season finale, Bourdain travels with “one of America’s most important chefs,” Sean Brock, to sample Charleston’s varied food offerings including traditional Gullah cuisine, and oyster pie and shrimp and grits at Brock’s restaurant Husk with actor and a Charleston resident, Bill Murray.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to this too.  Just...the south is guaranteed to make Bourdain happy in very, very specific ways.

Yeah, I agree. He has weird-ass hipster cultural sensitivity issues sometimes.

He was on Colbert last week, and he said the high point of his trip was being introduced to Waffle House (speaking of lard and pig meat). 

All is forgiven.

Edited by Julia

We use reverential tones for Waffle House.

"Good morning!"

The closest Waffle House to me is southern PA (to the great discomfiture of my family, who I introduced to Waffle House on a southern trip a few years ago). The kid's new BF, who lives in central PA, took her there for brunch. She texted me from the parking lot to say she was keeping him.

ETA:

The only thing I hate more than the food at Waffle House is my friends waxing poetic about it.

I don't eat pork, and the diet coke in a Waffle House contains pork, so it's problematic for me. But the things they do well, they do really well. JMO, of course.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

Best to sit at the counter and be front row to action.

(sorry biakbiak)

Pecan waffle here. Other half goes at least for the scattered covered smothered hash browns.

Nothing there is on the diet.

Wonder if he takes Sean? Murray's a better fit.

Edited by NewDigs

The only thing I hate more than the food at Waffle House is my friends waxing poetic about it.

Thank you...I am from NC and just don't get it.  They use that square semi-quasi-not really cheese on the scattered hashbrowns, for cripe's Jeebus sake. dafuq?

The closest Waffle House to me is southern PA (to the great discomfiture of my family, who I introduced to Waffle House on a southern trip a few years ago). The kid's new BF, who lives in central PA, took her there for brunch. She texted me from the parking lot to say she was keeping him.

I lived in Central PA for six years, and the only Waffle House was an incovenient 2 to 2-1/2 hour drive from where I lived. I'm back in the South now surrounded by Waffle Houses. I don't actually eat there very often at all. It's just oddly comforting to me that I have the option whenever I'd like.

• Love 1

I loved how they used music from Shovels and Rope who are from Charleston, ( John's Island, to be exact) in this episode.  

I now have to go back and watch Sean Brock's "Mind of a Chef", I loved that he was wearing a Jason Isbell shirt.  (Isbell's one of my favorite musicians)

I now have to go back and watch Sean Brock's "Mind of a Chef", I loved that he was wearing a Jason Isbell shirt.  (Isbell's one of my favorite musicians)

I wasn't as thrilled by some of his Mind of a Chef episodes - I thought Ed Lee did a better job of representing the south, honestly, and he spent an episode in Brooklyn - but the one on heirloom seeds was kind of genius.

Edited by Julia

Thank you...I am from NC and just don't get it.  They use that square semi-quasi-not really cheese on the scattered hashbrowns, for cripe's Jeebus sake. dafuq?

I've never had Waffle House, but it strikes me as one of those great greasy spoon institutions that's catnip to afficionados of that kind of fare.  I know Tony is one and I have a feeling I'd be too.

• Love 1

I straight up love greasy spoon diners! I love pork! I am this close to creating a religion devoted to hashbrowns, this show illustrated how most of Waffle House is congeled processed crap. I would say I just haven't been stoned or drunk enough to get its charms but even my teetoler relatives love it.

I did love the fisherman when Tony and Sean were trying to engage him in conversation he barely spoke and kept just gutting, cleaning and portioning fish as if they weren't there.

Side note we need a Mind of a Chef thread so I can posit my theories that David Kinch might be or at least would become a serial killer if he didn't have food as an outlet.

Edited by biakbiak

I love Charleston, and have spent many happy times there.  I was just a little thrown off when I heard Bourdain say something about the first Charleston show he did and how he "took so much flack about that show that I had to return and do it over".  I have seen that episode several times, with the Lee Brothers and some Gullah cooking and oyster roasting...thought it was pretty good.  He had the side adventure with the Civil War re-enactors filmed at Boone Hall Plantation I think.  I thought it was a good episode.

Bill Murray was in another episode with Bourdain when he did a show in NY around the Hudson River.  I get kinda pissed when some NY guy says 'WE don't want anyone else moving down here'.  You can move back whenever you wish Bill, we don't need any more YANKEES moving here.   

I like Sean's style, watched him on Mind of a Chef too.  Something else I missed was "mule foot soup" or something equally disgusting. Bourdain used to be a favourite of mine, but I find him to be a hipster doofus anymore.  His rants tire me out.

Waffle House is great, if only for the pecan waffles, and their omelets.  We go there every Christmas for dinner, a tradition that started about 8 years ago when my daughter & I were out driving late and saw that they were open.  Love it!

Edited by Darling Lily

This. My late midwestern BIL used to caddy with Bill Murray as a teenager.

And bless his heart, I'm glad he's having fun, but it was super annoying listening to Sean Brock bitch about Bourdain spending time on the food of a Charleston that isn't his Charleston, and then move on to way too many of Bill Murray's carpetbagging thoughts about [not food].

• Love 1

Bill Murray was in another episode with Bourdain when he did a show in NY around the Hudson River.  I get kinda pissed when some NY guy says 'WE don't want anyone else moving down here'.  You can move back whenever you wish Bill, we don't need any more YANKEES moving here.  

I'll have to remember to cross the South off my list of potential retirement places.  I'm a native New Yorker and Chicago native Bill Murray can call my hometown home anytime he wants to.  I'm used to anyone and everyone adopting it as their own anyway.

Was this a short season or did they just take a break for Thanksgiving week?  I forgot to look at my DVR.

I wanted to love this episode. I wanted it to send me on a roadtrip to Charleston. Sadly, those expectations were not filled.

Sean Brock's kind of a shit. And he seemed half or fully plastered most of the episode. Now I'm glad we didn't eat at Husk a couple years back. Kind of.

And Bill Murray, who I love, didn't acquit himself well either.

I don't think justice was done for Charleston.

I almost liked the Cape Cod/heroin episode better.