Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: The Price

PinkRibbons

NOTE: Reign airs on Thursdays in Canada, meaning that the episodes are very often viewed a day before they have aired in the US. Therefore please be aware that this thread will almost definitely have spoilers for those who wish to wait until Friday night to view the new episode.

Mary's mother sends her a pressing message to inform her of Scotland's troubles, so Mary seeks help from Francis. Meanwhile, Narcisse becomes an obstacle in Catherine's endeavor to become the regent to Charles; and pressure mounts for Elizabeth to marry.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3GpZQhdj5c

So technically Francis died, so was that his death? Then he's now alive, at least Delphine actually made herself useful.

Catherine can go back to the dungeon at anytime, don't mess with Lola! Liked that Narcisse's shadiness was all about Lola's son and his future. Wasn't expecting that one.

Kudos to the writers on using real history for once. Marie de Guise did in fact drop dead the same year as Francis, a few months before he did. I sort of don't think Mary is going to mind the trade-off, I mean Catherine was more of a mother to her. Then I think that someone on the writing staff saw the same documentary I did where the very real rumors about Elizabeth being a changeling and a boy were tested -- it was practically said word for word the same way the old rumor went. Although I'm a little confused -- my picture kept dropping little bits of dialog so I'm not sure whether I missed something more as well -- did Elizabeth actually end up showing her goods to Don Carlos or not?

Interesting use of the cipher, must be meant as a foreshadowing of Mary's execution ultimately being certain when her own coded letters were intercepted and read. But it does make Future!Mary look a lot stupider compared to herself as a young woman.

Man, I would not want to be Amy. We all know she'll die (I like to believe the theory that Elizabeth had her killed because Robert Dudley was pressuring her to marry him and this way he spent the rest of his life looking so suspicious of her death that Elizabeth never could marry him, making her single power ultimate), and it looks like hubby is leaving his marks all over her first. Nice tease for the history buffs, that, I almost thought they would kill Amy off then and there.

At this point I'm just going to admit I've gotten all this next knowledge from A Dangerous Inheritance which is historical fiction, but Alison Weir is a very respected historian, so I'll run with it. Man I hope the show brings in Katherine Grey. Her story was scandalous but she was first in line to the throne, and Elizabeth hated her so much that she may have even considered naming Mary her heir, dangerous as that would be.

I suppose any piece involving Elizabeth would have to have the inevitable "I will marry no man and here's why" speech. This one went as well as any of the others, I think -- although I didn't care for the whole modern over-awareness of what kind of society she is in. I always had the impression that Elizabeth didn't necessarily believe in equality as much as she believed that she personally was exceptional. Anyway, I'd like to see Elizabeth charming people more. Her first exchange with Don Carlos made her sparkle quite a bit for me.

I see you show, trying to fake out Francis's death so we don't expect it when it actually comes. Sadly, despite my love of Toby I really do think they will kill him by the winter finale, just not by ear hemorrhage(?). Still, I wouldn't be opposed to his being deposed and taking up a new identity. I enjoy some of the bugnuts crazy this show pulls sometimes, and in any case they laid an interesting foundation last year, showing how few people knew what Francis and Mary looked like.

Oh, and I could watch a Catherine and Claude hour every week. I don't really like Claude, but Megan Follows sort of elevates anyone in a scene with her. (While still being the best thing in the scene every time.)

• Love 1

Hmm, so if they stick to history Francis has 6 months to live. Marie de Guise died in June and he in December. I like how everything is twisting into place and Bash's random (boring) subplot had some use for once. I think either he'll die for real by the winter finale or since this show is slow moving, Toby may stick around until May (which is fine by me :)). Awesome fake out, the "death" scene was nearly line by line the prophecy in season 1 but at night.

Catherine continues to be awesome. Though I wish she'd be forgiven by Francis and the rest already. I like it when she and the rest plot together.

• Love 1

Loved Catherine's black dress. Also these lines:

Catherine: A talking rat? Now, I'm curious.

Privvy Council Member: She's dead!

Catherine: of course she is.

I hope Robert Dudley gets sent as liaison next. It would be better to have him charmed by Mary than involve his wife with all this plot.

Hopefully the Bash plot has ended now. Gotta love how he said "a cross" outloud, just in case there was one last person who didn't get it.

Bash and Charles kinda resemble each other.

my picture kept dropping little bits of dialog so I'm not sure whether I missed something more as well -- did Elizabeth actually end up showing her goods to Don Carlos or not?

I don't think so.

I agree they have Elizabeth talking too much about patriarchal society, blah blah. I wished they had Don Carlos say something like "what the hell does that mean?" or something like that.

• Love 1

I suppose any piece involving Elizabeth would have to have the inevitable "I will marry no man and here's why" speech. This one went as well as any of the others, I think -- although I didn't care for the whole modern over-awareness of what kind of society she is in. I always had the impression that Elizabeth didn't necessarily believe in equality as much as she believed that she personally was exceptional. Anyway, I'd like to see Elizabeth charming people more. Her first exchange with Don Carlos made her sparkle quite a bit for me.

I would think that just being able to re-iterate what befell her mother and her half-sister would be enough to reinforce her desire to remain single. This Elizabeth does sound as if she just took Sociology 101.

Will the show ever send Mary to Scotland? I want to see her new ladies-in-waiting performing Riverdance.

• Love 2

Last night's show was a Zzzzzzzz for me. I couldn't care less about Elizabeth. Mary is a dumb twat, and I've never like Francis.

Catherine and Narcisse make it for me. That is all.

I want to like Elizabeth but I don't care about her Dudley angst at all. Girl, don't you see what's right in front of you (aka Cecil)?

• Love 1

The "good bye" scene was done very well. Both actors went all in, I was not just misty eyed, I was actually crying.

And then a good hoax of a non-death... and then the "wrong price"... and then the "actual price", which on top of it all is historically accurate. Well done, show... Well done :)

For the first time in ages I'm actually looking forward to seeing what will this all doo to the characters.

Mary's guilt and elation and problems of no regent now...

Dauphin... for some reason I really like his character. A silly boy but you can see he wants to be a good king, he wants to learn and now that he had a scare of becoming one, he'll probably throw a lot more into learning to be a king. I like two brothers together, some nice scenes.