Type keyword(s) to search

They're Back: The Returned (FR)/Les Revenants--SEASON 2

Episodes in the U.S. begin on Halloween, October 31st at 7 pm on the Sundance Channel .

Episode 1:  Survivors from the Helping Hand try to move on; Lena and her father Jerome continue searching for Camille and Claire; Adele has recurring nightmares about her pregnancy; Sandrine's daughter appears.

Watched season 1 for a third time on the Sundance Channel "The Returned" marathon.  Enjoyed it just as much as the previous two times and looking forward to seeing this great cast of characters continue their stories.  Noticed that the Sundance Channel blurred out swear words.  Nudity was blurred or totally eliminated as in the case of the full frontal nudity shot with Simon in the morgue in season 1.  Makes me wonder how much will be cut when it airs on the Sundance Channel.  Hopefully this won't be the same as what happened with Broadchurch when it aired on BBC America.  Fortunately there will be people here such as Ottobusdriver who have already seen it and can tell us what if anything has been left out of an episode    

Episodes in the U.S. begin on Halloween, October 31st at 7 pm on the Sundance Channel .

Episode 1:  Survivors from the Helping Hand try to move on; Lena and her father Jerome continue searching for Camille and Claire; Adele has recurring nightmares about her pregnancy; Sandrine's daughter appears.

Watched season 1 for a third time on the Sundance Channel "The Returned" marathon.  Enjoyed it just as much as the previous two times and looking forward to seeing this great cast of characters continue their stories.  Noticed that the Sundance Channel blurred out swear words.  Nudity was blurred or totally eliminated as in the case of the full frontal nudity shot with Simon in the morgue in season 1.  Makes me wonder how much will be cut when it airs on the Sundance Channel.  Hopefully this won't be the same as what happened with Broadchurch when it aired on BBC America.  Fortunately there will be people here such as Ottobusdriver who have already seen it and can tell us what if anything has been left out of an episode    

Right there with you @dbklmt -- I rewatched Season 1 last weekend while waiting to find the last few episodes of Season 2 (in original French with English subtitles) I was missing.  Hope to power through them this weekend and come back here to comment, but it's pretty good so far.

I started season 2 w/o rewatching season 1 and was totally lost, even having read the episode summaries on Wikipedia beforehand. Definitely watch at least the last 3 episodes of season 1. Overall, I enjoyed season 2, although ratings in France were much lower than expected and based on the tweets I read, many disappointed viewers.

Edited by orangepeel
  • Love 1

Was it on Sundance or on IFC originally?  Because I saw season 1 first run (in US) and there was nudity and no blurring of swear words.  Pierre Perrier in full frontal glory.

It was on Sundance and I remember being surprised at the nudity.  They may have cut it because the marathon ran during daytime hours, whereas the series itself was on at 10pm I think.  Just a guess.  I hope they don't cut anything from Season 2 when it airs.  I hated what BBCA did to Broadchurch.

Any chance Season 1 will be reshown before the US debut of Season 2 on 10/31?  I'm pretty sure I will be lost.  Only saw Season 1 of the American version.

Not on the Sundance Channel, but if you have Netflix you can watch it there.  You Tube has some of the episodes but they're only in French.

• Love 1

It was on Sundance and I remember being surprised at the nudity.  They may have cut it because the marathon ran during daytime hours, whereas the series itself was on at 10pm I think.  Just a guess.  I hope they don't cut anything from Season 2 when it airs.  I hated what BBCA did to Broadchurch.

I agree about Broadchurch - taking out whole scenes that were broadcast originally was ridiculous.  I can take some pixilation and gaps in the sound, as long as the show is intact.

I just finished a binge watch of season 2 and I'm a bit underwhelmed.

The two questions I wanted answered the most (who exactly are Viktor and Lucy) were never answered so that was disappointing.
My 3 biggest problems were the pace felt off but I think that's connected to my second problem of too many (new) characters. I had trouble caring about them and just wanted to get back to the characters from season one. Lastly, I thought this season was too violent. It's like they swapped out the sex from season one to everyone having a gun or knife this time. Oh, and without the binge watch I don't think I could have kept the character connections straight. Overall I found this season more annoying than mysterious. The magic of the first season just wasn't there. Maybe the 3 years in between was the real problem. There were some emotional moments and the soundtrack, acting and cinematography were good, but I wish I'd just read a detailed recap of each episode and saved myself the time.

Questions/Comments:
1) So the cave/underwater Returned wanted the fresh zombies back at the end of season 1 and killed the police officers. They then held them across the “lake” until everyone else came back and the baby was born so they could go back where they belong. But since Viktor brought Julie back to life the cycle continues with Baby Nathan. Is that right?
2) I didn't understand why Lucy followed Milan after the flood. But everything about that character annoyed me from the beginning. I was so happy when Simon finally pushed her away.
3) I can't believe Adele and Simon just left their daughter without saying goodbye! Damn.
4) I was happy for Julie even though her new gf was weirdly interested in her too quickly. I thought for sure she was working with the army for an episode there.

The English translations were pretty bad for the final 2 episodes I found online. lol. I might just watch those 2 episodes again on Sundance to see if I missed anything.

Edited by crimsongrl