Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: What Happens to Idiots

Rhonda horrifies herself when she realises she will do anything to maintain her freedom, while Fr Jude proves the depths of his conviction to Celine as they and a new Messiah investigator rush to stop a man from jumping off a building. Jamie finally arrives at his birth mother's mental health facility and Ariel reveals his surprising motive for hacking into the NSA's systems - and then stumbles upon the US government's biggest secret.

And, hey, finally a decent time jump.

I'm still looking forward to each episode of this show, although the scenes set in the US don't really work for me.  I like Rhonda but the atrocious accents are killing me.  Nina Sosanya should never,ever try to do a southern accent.  

• Love 2

Nothing much seems to be happening here. I get that there's a story arc with Father Jude and Sister Celine but the whole thing with the suicide guy seemed like filler. I'm getting the feeling we won't find out how they all make it to the bunker by the end of the season.

I'm starting to warm up to Leanne. I found her annoying at first and Megan Mullally a little over the top but she's really providing some of the best comic relief. I liked her playing "Leanne says" with the cops and taking control of the situation.

I've decided to save up the episodes and binge them. I like the characters well enough and am interested to see how it all plays out, but it's harder to remember everyone's histories and current status with the episodes spaced out. I'm not so drawn in that I'd bother to rewatch or research online to keep up my interest. Considering the lack of robust discussion, I'm guessing I'm not the only one. :)

The showdown between the police and Rhonda/Leanna suprised me. I wouldve thought they can get SWAT and backups, or negotiate. not just drop like wimps and let leanne walk all over them.

I was also shocked and dismayed at Ariel's coldblooded kill of his friend, for no reason.

Why does this still say unaired in US? It was last night's episode.

Nothing much seems to be happening here. I get that there's a story arc with Father Jude and Sister Celine but the whole thing with the suicide guy seemed like filler. I'm getting the feeling we won't find out how they all make it to the bunker by the end of the season.

Every minute detail in this very tightly woven story ends up mattering. I think the revelation of his father's suicide will have an impact later, as well as his throwaway sentence, "I did some things I wasn't proud of."

Ariel killed his buddy because he wanted to bring other people into the plan.

Air bags that deflate slowly enough to moderate the impact when a body hits them can be used but they only work for a certain height. It's like nets for trapeze artists. And of course landing on your head could still break a neck.

PS Hour long comedies are always flabby, especially when those vile commercial interruptions distort the flow. I'll complain again: A minicliffhanger before commercial break is the wrong way to go, it should break on a punch line.

The only character with a dramatic conflict is Scotty, who has to choose between devoting his efforts to Plan B and helping his sister and nephew. The others just face obstacles, which can be modestly interesting. But drama is choice, not conflict.

As to the hints of a Grand Plan, this is Signs territory. If God has aliens invade the Earth to restore Mel Gibson's faith, sure he's going to annihilate seven billion people to bring these fifteen together!

• Love 1