Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: The Trial of Nathan Wuornos

MarkHB

Dwight and Charlotte work to clear Nathan's name when the citizens of Haven put the lawman on trial. Hoping to buy them time, the brothers Teagues moderate the courtroom proceedings, while Audrey continues her quest to solve the darkness troubles.

Wow. The writing this week wasn't awful.

I felt the exact opposite: "Nathan Wuornos must die" was never going to happen, so there was zero tension. And Nathan's speech about lighting the world with hope 'n' love was hokey.

Also, the CGI flying aether was awful. About the only thing I liked was Vince grouching about gravitas and Dave calling him "Mr. Gravy Ass." Oh, and Nathan's eyes were pretty when he told Audrey, "Hey, that's my move!"

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 4

Show: "We should have a TRIAL"

Me: Wow, that sounds....boring.

It'd be one thing if Nathan knew that what's-his-name was the cause of the Darkness trouble and had timed his speech with Audrey's confrontation. It's another thing for his words to miraculously-mirror the confrontation as it occurred. I know it was supposed to be inspiring and to resuscitate Nathan's character but it was just the writers once again undercutting Audrey's importance in the story - again. Basically, as far as they're concerned, she's nothing more than an adornment to everything that's happened. Mara 2.0. 

Yes I sound like a broken record but is it too much to ask for a female character to be more than a love interest, McGuffin or victim?

• Love 3

Nathan & Audrey were again lovely together of course (they've got to be TV's prettiest couple :)) but the story was so weak and, as said above, with absolutely no tension whatsoever. Nathan's speech was odd I thought but then I realised, with its repetitions of 'hope...we have to have hope...' it was aimed at DarknessDude rather than to simply plead his case.

I am pleased the show writers had an end game in mind and that, in this final season, they've tried to tie the story lines up satisfactorily but the pulling of the plug has undoubtedly caused the look of the show to suffer - really seems as though there was no money left in the budget. I mean, the school set? Trouble Alley, with doors slamming and bits of scenery being dragged along on wires? ...*sighs* oh dear! I really thought the main cast looked a bit embarrassed at times. And the scenes with the many extras milling about just look dreadful because, I'm sorry, but most of them simply cannot act. I love this show but sometimes it's hard to. 

I will however forever love the main characters and I'm curious...Have I missed something - should I know what it is that Duke has turned into? He now has a compulsion to kill Troubled people once he's 'set off'? I'm really hoping his fear of doing something dreadful in the 'outside' world will send him back to Haven soon because I'm hating the three leads being separated and it's an odd story-line choice, when their chemistry is what caused most of us to be devoted to the show in the first place.  Then again, realistically, Duke would be less likely to be 'demon-eyesed' (see what I did there, ha!) if he kept away from Troubles, so I'm guessing that's his next dilemma. 

• Love 3

Rather weak episode, overall. Found Nathan's speech trite and uninspiring. The school setting is really getting old and  I was hoping I was wrong about my prediction of the cause of the Darkness Trouble because it was rather obvious from last week but alas. 

So Charlotte's husband was lost to the evil entitiy of the void. Does that mean he is the entity now or part of it. And it feeds off the Troubles. I'm just waiting for them to wrap everything up, but it doesn't seem like it will happen until much later in the season.

Didn't like Audrey wanting to use that Troubled guy to save Nathan from the trial.

So now Duke feels the urge to kill the Troubled person he gets in blood contact with? It's better that he isn't in Haven but since he is the only one immune to the new Troubles, he will be needed to help and will probably end up dead by the end of it this time. Is that premonition of his death still in play?

Edited by BlueJay81
  • Love 2

Ugg, apparently losing her powers turns Audrey into Nathan with the not caring about killing or hurting the rest of town to save just him. I'm going to have think that Mara's still in there and she's the one that wants to hurt the townspeople. Audrey wouldn't do that. Those two really bring the worst out in each other the longer they are together. Although it was good that Nathan at least recognizes he's a selfish asshat when it comes to saving an entire town or just Audrey. I'm hoping that them being together is what is bringing destruction on the town and they can't be together to save it. 

That was also a very boring episode. I really hate the lets separate everyone storytelling. I don't care about the weak actors they hire as extras. I like seeing the main cast interact with each other. Duke needs to be there so Audrey and Nathan can focus on someone else other than each other. This is one situation where I think the triangle was saving the show. The three of them need each other to keep each other focused. 

And Nathan's speech just happened to mirror what the troubled person need to hear, therefore he saved the day again and Audrey stood around looking pretty. That speech had nothing do with his trial. The writers must be living through Nathan being the broody hero that gets the girl and saves the day. 

They are really stalling on Charlotte making the cure. Here's the aether we need, people are freaking out and activating their troubles and other people's troubles, but lets take some time to have a school lunch date and stare at each other. I will also need Audrey, oops our little break gave Audrey time to get knocked out and now we have to save her because she's important sometimes. 

What happened to this show? They really seem to have no idea how they wanted to end it and are just throwing things around the room. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 6

Well I didn't like this weeks episode was boring IMO. I find trials so boring. Did anyone else find Audrey's apology hollow?

I do want to know what's going on with Duke.

That was an interesting twist with the sand and at the end.

• Love 1
I felt the exact opposite: "Nathan Wuornos must die" was never going to happen, so there was zero tension. And Nathan's speech about lighting the world with hope 'n' love was hokey.

I didn't mean to suggest that the plot wasn't moronic (it was) but that the dialog was far less stilted and unnatural compared to the rest of S5.

Watching Haven is like having a friend in hospice. One still has great affection for it but all the bits that made it alive and vibrant have gone and it's just a matter of waiting for the end.

• Love 4

Oh fuck me. That "trial" was STUPID. Idiotic. STUPID. The whole "must fight nonsensical and stupid mob mentality with touching speech" trope pisses me off. Especially when the mob mentality was all things stupid. So freaking stupid. 

And that speech was horrid. 

Nathan is stupid. Audrey is useless. Dwight is hot. Charlotte is coy. Vince and Dave were charming. *sigh*

As to Duke and stupid-girl-of-plot-movement-who-will-probably-die-soon, I thought the implication was he wanted her blood, not a desire to kill her. I mean, if she died, it wouldn't matter, but Duke wanted the blood for the heroin-style rush, not murdering cause murdery murder is fun. 

If Duke can bust open a fence like that but not get out of that freaking container, I might have to start screaming at the stupid.

I'm starting to think Duke really just dumped an IQ-decreasing trouble on the writers, the crew, the production, the actors, ....

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 3

As to Duke and stupid-girl-of-plot-movement-who-will-probably-die-soon, I thought the implication was he wanted her blood, not a desire to kill her. I mean, if she died, it wouldn't matter, but Duke wanted the blood for the heroin-style rush, not murdering cause murdery murder is fun. 

If Duke can bust open a fence like that but not get out of that freaking container, I might have to start screaming at the stupid.

I'm starting to think Duke really just dumped an IQ-decreasing trouble on the writers, the crew, the production, the actors, ....

Yes to all of this & thanks for your thoughts on Duke's compulsion - I guess that might make sense as the logical boost (?) to his former existing Trouble. See, that's the problem with separating these characters - I want to see them all talking this thing through, as you would with good friends who are really the only ones who have any comprehension of what is/might be going on.

• Love 1

I was waiting for the mob to turn on the accuser guy who turned out to be the one with the darkness Trouble. That's the way mobs tend to work. Nathan seemed to have won at least some of them over, so they'd be primed to go after the person who was going after him, especially once it was revealed that he was the one who was actually killing people.

Nathan has a pretty strong masochistic streak, so yeah, it does sound like him to be okay with going on trial with his life at stake over something he didn't actually do.

Duke needs to come back to town because he's less interesting off on his own. We need him as contrast to the others.

Started watching - got to the opening credit sequence and was already bored. So I came over here hoping you all had found the epi interesting, moving plot forward. Really hoping you would tell me there was lots of Duke - 'cause frankly the Nathan and Audrey story was always the weakest part of Haven for me. I guess maybe I'll watch this later or tomorrow or something.

• Love 2

Started watching - got to the opening credit sequence and was already bored. So I came over here hoping you all had found the epi interesting, moving plot forward. Really hoping you would tell me there was lots of Duke - 'cause frankly the Nathan and Audrey story was always the weakest part of Haven for me. I guess maybe I'll watch this later or tomorrow or something.

They have Duke wandering around outside of Haven in a plot that is specifically designed to force him to go back to Haven. Hopefully he has that epiphany moment next episode because boring girl of stupid plot outside Haven is annoying and needs to go. EB did some serious Frankenstein walk through a yard of shipping containers, which was in walking distance of a bank. *sigh* 

The Darkness trouble was boring and obvious. There was a trial of ridiculousness. There was mob mentality of "how stupid do you think the audience is" and really bad special effects.

Oh...and now Audrey is in some deep slumber of MacGuffinry.

• Love 3

Oh, dear. I got to the part where the mob was raising their metaphorical pitchforks against Nathan for murder while he stood there slack-jawed and mute and I couldn't hang in any longer.

Seems like the writers figured a lit bit of everything, jacked up to 11, would be an exciting way to end the series, but it's just coming across as muddled and lazy to me.

Reading everyone's comments is better than actually having to watch.

• Love 4
I got to the part where the mob was raising their metaphorical pitchforks against Nathan for murder while he stood there slack-jawed and mute

Actually, that's pretty much in-character for Nathan, who's notorious for being practically non-verbal and being a terrible public speaker. In fact, that was about the most amusing thing about the episode, the fact that Nathan's entire fate rested on his public-speaking ability, and that sent Audrey into such a panic that she was coming up with all sorts of crazy schemes to interrupt the trial, right down to pulling the fire alarm.

However, I did find it rather hard to believe that the entire mob would have been so against Nathan that there wouldn't have been any dissenting voices other than Audrey and the Teagues. Supposedly, a good chunk of the town has just learned about the Troubles, so they wouldn't have known about the Barn to be against him for that. Any remnants of the Rev's people might dislike Nathan, as would the Guard, but there were also a lot of Troubled people he's helped along the way. For everyone else, it was a thread through the first few seasons that Nathan was extremely well-liked in town. He knew everyone, and while he didn't really have friends, most people were friendly toward him. Vince and Dave suspected that the Chameleon would have impersonated him because everyone liked him and listened to him. It sounded like he was the "good cop" to his dad's "bad cop" in dealing with the town. When the new police chief was killed, Audrey wondered if it might have had something to do with Nathan's supporters. Most of these people should have known him since he was a shy, nerdy kid. So while there would definitely have been voices raised against him, and in an atmosphere of fear that might have gained some traction, I can't believe the mob would have been that unanimous before he even spoke. You'd think someone might have protested that Nathan couldn't have done such a thing, and maybe some fights would have broken out among the factions.

It was also a silly concept for a trial -- make any accusations you want without any evidence or witnesses. That boils down to "Was so/was not." Though I guess they were counting on Dwight and Charlotte getting back before it became an issue.

• Love 7
It was also a silly concept for a trial -- make any accusations you want without any evidence or witnesses.

Going out to the power plant was known to be a dangerous mission, right? The engineer guy got killed too, and the townsfolk seemed to take that in stride.

Sad to waste one of the few remaining episodes on this nonsensical garbage.

Edited by lordonia

Then there's the guy and his gang who was deliberately killing people with the darkness. I guess none of the bearded departed had families? Anyone to notice they were missing? That was actually almost interesting if it had been more than a hand off to the Sandman. Here's a real murderer, folks, who has a fairly high body count. Why don't we try him?

Audrey being willing to trigger troubles to distract the folks from Nathan's trial was not just annoying, it was character assassination. I had no great love for Audrey, but one thing she was consistent about was helping - not hurting - people, no matter what.

Duke needs to come back. The only way I can see the walk through walls girl as having any importance is that, maybe, with her trouble, she could actually get through the fog and back. I forget, is the fog impenetrable from both sides? (that is, do people from the outside get the same abrupt turn around after driving into it)  Is the road only used to get to Haven, and now that it's forgotten, no one will take that road? Because otherwise, wouldn't there be mysterious massive car pileups on the outside? 

Sorry, trying to apply logic. I'll stop now.

• Love 2

I'm having very mixed feelings about the season at the moment. Dystopian type backdrops are not my favorite type of setting for a show, and so far Haven isn't changing my mind on that. I understand the reasons for the changes plotline wise, but this isn't the kind of show I signed up for. I miss the old Haven.

• Love 6

So, when Darkness Guy started making the room dark, why did the people in the room not move towards the door and the well-lit hallway? If they were surviving huddled in the middle around their lamps, wouldn't a slow group shuffle going into the light have been better? Or where they all afflicted with Poltergeist Trouble ver 2, an aversion to going into the light?

Also, Dwight, a glow stick? Really? Does it really take that much longer to thumb on a flashlight?

Supposedly, a good chunk of the town has just learned about the Troubles, so they wouldn't have known about the Barn to be against him for that.

No, but they do know that when Bad Things first started going down six months ago (probably closer to eight by now), the Chief Of Police abandoned the town for no readily apparent reason and a whole bunch of their friends and neighbors were calling him a traitor and blaming him for the problems. He burned off a lot of goodwill there and hasn't done anything big or visible enough to earn it back.

I'm still behind, so here are my 2¢ of belated thoughts…

Wow, that was possibly one of the weakest eps of the entire series!

I'm hating the three leads being separated and it's an odd story-line choice, when their chemistry is what caused most of us to be devoted to the show in the first place.

Precisely why I disliked (to put it mildly) season 3 - they had Duke, Audrey and Nathan were all at odds with each other, and it just snuffed out the spark that makes the show so enjoyable to me. I was glad when they corrected that and brought everyone back together (ER's maternity leave notwithstanding, of course) but to do it again? In their last season? Didn't they learn anything from the last time?

Those two[N&A] really bring the worst out in each other the longer they are together. Although it was good that Nathan at least recognizes he's a selfish asshat when it comes to saving an entire town or just Audrey.

oops our little break gave Audrey time to get knocked out and now we have to save her because she's important sometimes. 

What happened to this show? They really seem to have no idea how they wanted to end it and are just throwing things around the room. 

Nathan and Audrey really are toxic together, though I am impressed Nathan showed as much self-awareness as he did (re: his selfish asshattedness). And LOL about randomly remembering that Audrey is important for some reason now and then. That pretty much sums it up. This show bears no resemblance, IMO, to the show I watched in season 1 (I've said more than once that EB is the only reason I've kept with it) and that feeling gets stronger with every passing season. Though I admit I did enjoy season 4, mainly because of Duke and Jennifer.

LMAO. Totally agree, though I would say he did it back in season 2 or 3.

Really hoping you would tell me there was lots of Duke - 'cause frankly the Nathan and Audrey story was always the weakest part of Haven for me.

Same here - I haven't had much use for Nathan and Audrey ever since they reduced her to a plot point and turned him into a schmoopy-eyed caveman. Duke FTW!

So, regarding the only thing of note that really happened here: what the hell is wrong with Duke now? Did he just get the Trouble equivalent of Stage 5 Quicksilver Madness? (Yes, I have been rewatching Invisible Man lately - another excellent show that fell victim to SyFy's axe. I sure do miss it). Tune in next week to see what awful thing the writers will inflict on Duke next!

• Love 3