Type keyword(s) to search

Season 12 Discussion

• Start Topic

Since the season is over, I don't know if we want/need to make individual episode threads, at least not at this point.  So let's just corral all discussion of S 12 into this thread.  Obviously, there will be spoilers allowed as the shows have all already aired, so if you're watching for the first time, tread carefully.

Watching Season 12 on Lifetime because I only saw a few episodes the first time around.  I'm currently on Episode 3 now and Miranda is really mean!  Yes, Timothy is weird, but he's not mean, and for her to trash talk him when she sees he's only sitting a few feet away is awful.  She and Sandros would make a great pair.

I'm just catching up on old seasons and I'm trying to figure out--why does everyone hate Kate? I admittedly haven't seen her on All-Stars yet, but I didn't mind her either on Season 11, her post-elimination appearances, or Season 12. Is it because of her talent, taste, or personality? I personally haven't seen anything terrible about any of those things, and I've liked her a lot.

• Love 2

I'm just catching up on old seasons and I'm trying to figure out--why does everyone hate Kate? I admittedly haven't seen her on All-Stars yet, but I didn't mind her either on Season 11, her post-elimination appearances, or Season 12. Is it because of her talent, taste, or personality? I personally haven't seen anything terrible about any of those things, and I've liked her a lot.

I've spent three seasons pondering this same question. IMO, the only time her behavior was questionable was the S12 finale, but I just can't fully get behind this one-sided "Alexandria is an innocent victim" storyline, either. I have yet to come across an anti-Kate argument that I find convincing.

• Love 2

I've spent three seasons pondering this same question. IMO, the only time her behavior was questionable was the S12 finale, but I just can't fully get behind this one-sided "Alexandria is an innocent victim" storyline, either. I have yet to come across an anti-Kate argument that I find convincing.

Kate was pretty bratty on her first season, too. I remember her saying she enjoyed working with Tu because he could be easily dominated and "there's only room for one cook in this kitchen," or something. 

For what it's worth, I did think she was the least offensive of the Unholy Trinity with Dom and Helen on S12. 

Kate was pretty bratty on her first season, too. I remember her saying she enjoyed working with Tu because he could be easily dominated and "there's only room for one cook in this kitchen," or something. 

For what it's worth, I did think she was the least offensive of the Unholy Trinity with Dom and Helen on S12. 

I'm not sure it's fair to put Dom on the same level as her buddies. She chose the path of least resistance, and it's hard for me to blame her, but to the best of my recollection the worst she did was suggest in interviews that she thought Alexandria should have gone home and that she didn't really appreciate Alexandria's aesthetic or her personality, both of which were kinda fair, although I liked Alexandria more than either Helen or Kate.

Kate, on the other hand, giggled and smirked through some really rancid high level meangirling in the reunion show, and was clearly completely intoxicated with being that person she whined about being the victim of in her season.

Also, Kate's work sucks. Seriously, based on her website, her wedding dress collection would maybe earn a student a B, if the teacher was being kind.

I'm not sure it's fair to put Dom on the same level as her buddies. She chose the path of least resistance, and it's hard for me to blame her, but to the best of my recollection the worst she did was suggest in interviews that she thought Alexandria should have gone home and that she didn't really appreciate Alexandria's aesthetic or her personality, both of which were kinda fair, although I liked Alexandria more than either Helen or Kate.

Kate, on the other hand, giggled and smirked through some really rancid high level meangirling in the reunion show, and was clearly completely intoxicated with being that person she whined about being the victim of in her season.

Also, Kate's work sucks. Seriously, based on her website, her wedding dress collection would maybe earn a student a B, if the teacher was being kind.

I don't think that Dom was nearly as mean as Helen (who is?), but I would say she was just as immature, cliquish, and rude. Saying "oh no" when Alexandria was announced as a finalist was spectacularly classless, as was her mocking expression when Alex was speaking about her loss on the reunion show. She also spoke in many of her post-win interviews about how she didn't think Alexandria's collection was strong enough to show at fashion week, which I thought was very ungracious (especially considering that A's collection was the favorite of the majority of industry people who saw the show). 

Moreover, while she claimed to be above the drama, Dom made some very harsh comments herself. Specifically, I recall her saying that Alexander's eliminated design sucked and suggesting that he was "only" a costume designer.

As a side note, her work also sucks. Belk is practically giving away the clothes she designed for them. 

I remember viewers being outraged over that comment, but these designers applied for Project Runway only to find out they were part of the illadvised crapfest known as Teams Edition. Kate spent the first two weeks having to collaborate on her design with somebody else, one of whom was the odious Layana who tried badgering Kate out of using the pink fabric that won her the challenge. The entire season was a variation of "compromise your vision", and I can't blame Kate for finding relief in working with somebody that deferred to her rather than attempt to bowl her over. IIRC, her wording wasn't so harsh as to say she can "dominate" him, but I admit it would have been better had she simply said she was the natural leader in their partnership. Regardless, her friendship with Tu was very apparent, and she defended him on the runway when his Senior's design dragged her design into the bottom with him.

I don't fully blame the viewers, since she basically admitted to being an "an evil borderline sociopathic bitch" in the S11 casting episode. But I've found her so tame ever since that I'm convinced it was an act to make sure she got cast. IMO, she's been likeable and pretty nice - especially by PR standards - ever since, so some of the comments I've seen about her have been ridiculously OTT.

• Love 2

What a season.   Whacko Timothy.   Mirthless Miranda.   Psycho Sandro.   And abusive Ken. 

In the latter instance, the show was flat out wrong to tolerate Ken's presence after those displays.   They should have packed his stuff and put him on a train back to Atlanta the first time he exploded at Helen.    Where do they draw the line?  After he hauls off and belts one of the women?  They're lucky that didn't happen.  Even his own mother knows he's got serious mental issues: she asked him in a phone call: "After you went into the bathroom, who came out?"   In other words, Jekyll or Hyde?

I was very pleased Dom won.    I thought she was talented, gracious and hard-working.   IMHO, her rival Alexandria made it to the finals only because Heidi favored her.   There is no question in my mind that Alexandria should have gone home in the challenge where Kate was eliminated.   I was shocked when Alexandria was told she was safe and could leave the runway.   Her horrible outfit looked like something stapled together from remnants on the workroom floor.  

In subsequent episodes, Heidi time and again came to Alexandria's defense when Nina, Zac and the other judges were critical or underwhelmed.  I caught myself shouting at the TV during Alexandria's petulant "I deserve this" speech at the end.

I thought Bradon was an asset this season.   Always polite, upbeat and hopeful, he also got some very nice pieces down the runway.

Justin irritated the hell out of me.   IMHO, he was this season's "cause" and given unusual latitude, including the Tim Gunn save, because he's deaf.   Then he kept resorting to deafness as the inspiration for his designs -- a not so subtle way of reminding the judges of his disability.   It drives me nuts when designers do this -- for example, when Patricia Michaels kept referencing Native American designs because she's Native American.   By all means, incorporate your personal experience into your work, but don't make it the only note you play.   It becomes obvious very quickly and makes me think the designer is trying to use it as an advantage.   I was indifferent to Justin's collection.   I thought the 3-D printing elements made it look Star Trekky.

Edited by millennium

What a season. Whacko Timothy. Mirthless Miranda. Psycho Sandro. And abusive Ken.

In the latter instance, the show was flat out wrong to tolerate Ken's presence after those displays. They should have packed his stuff and put him on a train back to Atlanta the first time he exploded at Helen. Where do they draw the line? After he hauls off and belts one of the women? They're lucky that didn't happen. Even his own mother knows he's got serious mental issues: she asked him in a phone call: "After you went into the bathroom, who came out?" In other words, Jekyll or Hyde?

I was very pleased Dom won. I thought she was talented, gracious and hard-working. IMHO, her rival Alexandria made it to the finals only because Heidi favored her. There is no question in my mind that Alexandria should have gone home in the challenge where Kate was eliminated. I was shocked when Alexandria was told she was safe and could leave the runway. Her horrible outfit looked like something stapled together from remnants on the workroom floor.

In subsequent episodes, Heidi time and again came to Alexandria's defense when Nina, Zac and the other judges were critical or underwhelmed. I caught myself shouting at the TV during Alexandria's petulant "I deserve this" speech at the end.

I thought Bradon was an asset this season. Always polite, upbeat and hopeful, he also got some very nice pieces down the runway.

Justin irritated the hell out of me. IMHO, he was this season's "cause" and given unusual latitude, including the Tim Gunn save, because he's deaf. Then he kept resorting to deafness as the inspiration for his designs -- a not so subtle way of reminding the judges of his disability. It drives me nuts when designers do this -- for example, when Patricia Michaels kept referencing Native American designs because she's Native American. By all means, incorporate your personal experience into your work, but don't make it the only note you play. It becomes obvious very quickly and makes me think the designer is trying to use it as an advantage. I was indifferent to Justin's collection. I thought the 3-D printing elements made it look Star Trekky.

This season definitely had the most unlikeable crop of crazies ever.

I liked Justin as a person, and he marginally improved after being saved, but he really shouldn't have been in the finals. The HP print challenge is where this season went very wrong for me. Justin and Alexandria's outfits were AWFUL, yet Alexander and Kate went home for stuff I at least understood if not actually liked. Kate was in the top 3 practically every week and never in the bottom and deserved another chance.

Kahindo was also eliminated for one of my favorite dresses of the season, and Ken outlasting Jeremy after his psychotic display was unacceptable.

Edited by Oholibamah
  • Love 1

Re-watching this season now. I am looking forward to Ken's shenanigans.

Forgot what a turd Timothy was. I get sustainable fashion, but when dude refused to have anything to do hair-wise with anything that had been plugged in I thought, uh dude did you create your design by candlelight or do you not think light bulbs plug in?