Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Discussion: One Through Four

Rizzoli and Isles just started in syndication in the DC area with the first episode, and I was surprised how young Korsak and Frankie both look, and how every one was laying on the Boston accent.

I think it will be on Sunday nights in DC, 6 pm channel 20. Any other cities want to let us know when it will show in your area?

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 1

Season 1 is showing in Seattle on Ch 11 KSTW.  Weird schedule: Saturday 8-9 pm, Sunday 1-2 am.  That's two successive episodes.

I'll stick to my DVDs, especially since they include the gag reels.

Wow, in DC they on season 2 already. I wonder how they decide which episodes to air and which to skip?

Tonight is the first ep season 2 (hero night, first episode with Casey, Rizzoli parents getting divorced).

It's on Saturday nights in Los Angeles (ch. 13), two episodes per night.  I didn't stumble across it until the third week, and then forgot to record it this weekend.

I'd never seen the first season except for a couple of episodes I caught in syndication, so it was a bit jarring.  Especially the Boston accents that had disappeared by the time I started watching.

Does that mean Giovani becomes a recurring character?  He was so annoying!

I can't believe (well, yes I can, given the typical writing on this show) it took them so long to consider perhaps it was someone just dressed as a Navy officer.

I was expecting the early seasons to be better (figuring most shows go downhill), but of the four episodes I've watched most have felt kind of off in some way. 

I think of Giovanni as Joxer to this show's Xena and Gabrielle.  Seemingly clueless, but actually right on the mark, for those of us who ship Rizzles.  Sadly, he is just one of the early characters that will be--was-- dumped by the second showrunner.  

Edited by Scamp

Yesterday I watched the Jane's high school reunion episode, and holy crap was Casey's acting wooden. Granted, he was supposed to be in Afghanistan and Skyping with Jane, but it was awful. Don't they have someone reading her lines while they film his Skyping sessions?

And slightly off topic, the guy who played Casey (Chris Vance? ) was on Showgirl tonight as a bad Kryptonian.

• Love 1

Episodes 2.15, 16, & 17 aired here last night. I must've slept through more of them than I realized. Billy Burke was on this show as a love interest for Jane??

Anyway: After Paddy Doyle (truly miraculously!) survives 2 gunshots to the torso and falling about 30 feet on his back, when Maura asks if he would have shot Jane he replies that yes, he would have, because "she's a cop."

Question: Does he ever recant this and confess to Jane or Maura that he would not have shot Maura's best friend, but just said that so Maura would forgive Jane for shooting him?

I don't recall him ever recanting that he would not have shot Jane, but supposedly it was well known that he never went after women or kids (until a later episode changed that info). I guess they should have changed his reputation to "he doesn't go after women unless the are cops or family of cops ".

9 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Yeah. I had to find a show to replace it, so I'm watching Body of Proof. Alas, Meghan Hunt is no Maura Isles.

I wasn't expecting much when I first started watching it but it turned out to be pretty good.

• Love 1

Yay - the syndication episodes have cycled back around to the beginning, and I finally get to see the pilot (although not in its entirety; my cat decided to be a pill and take me away from it for nearly 10 minutes).  My program guide describes them as "disparate gal-pal crimefighters," heh.

It's an interesting narrative choice that they went immediately to a case that ties into the past, a past we didn't live along with the characters.  It's decent, as pilots go; I'm not sure I'd have been hooked had this been my introduction to the show (I came in a few years later).  Jane saving herself, and the interaction between her and Maura probably would have been enough, though. 

I'm laughing out loud at Korsak's Boston accent and realizing why McGill ditched it.  Kudos for being the only one who even tried.

Jane's ringtones also amused me.

Bass and Jo Friday!

Eek - Billy Burke is serial rapist and murderer Philip Stroh (The Closer/Major Crimes) to me, so seeing him as an FBI agent is causing some cognitive dissonance; I keep wanting to shout at Jane to run away.

I don't know if anyone is still around this forum, but I'll jump in just in case.  We knew about the series when it was on the air, but we never had a chance to watch it.  It was always up against something else we were watching.  So we just found it on Hulu and started watching.  We'll usually watch 5-8 episodes per week, so right now we're midway through Season 6 and dreading having to start Season 7, since we know it's the last season, and we just really love this show. 

But I was wondering if anyone else was trying to figure out what was going on with Tommy.  In the very first episode when Jane and Frankie are at their parent's house playing basketball, Angela says that Frank and Tommy will be there soon for dinner.  Then the next episode he's getting out of prison.  Then there's the phone call that makes it sound like he's not coming home, and we don't hear anything about him for a long time.  And then it seems like he was getting out of prison again.  Or maybe he just decided to come home after all.  Then he's around for a while, and we get the whole baby stuff.  Then he disappears again apparently never to be heard from again, and he took the baby with him?  Last time we saw him, he was in rehab, and Jane was telling him about the baby.  But then nada.  It just seems like something weird happened there.  He's a member of the family, for goodness sakes!  I'm glad he wasn't around all the time - he was okay, but I never took to him the way we took to Jane, Frankie and Maura.  But it's just bizarre that he and his baby just disappeared.  They at least told us what happened to Bass and Joe Friday.  Does anyone know what happened to Tommy?

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:25 PM, andromeda331 said:

I wasn't expecting much when I first started watching it but it turned out to be pretty good.

We watched Body of Proof before we saw Rizzoli & Isles.  We enjoyed it well enough.  Would be interesting to go back and re-watch and see what we thought after seeing R&I.

9 minutes ago, LadyMustang65 said:

Does anyone know what happened to Tommy?

It might have been the actor's availability - looking at his list of credits, he did quite a few other projects in that time frame (and got arrested at one point in there, but I don't remember what came of that).

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

It might have been the actor's availability - looking at his list of credits, he did quite a few other projects in that time frame (and got arrested at one point in there, but I don't remember what came of that).

Thanks.  That would certainly make sense, but do they ever explain Tommy's absence?  They told us what happened to Bass and Joe Friday - you'd think they'd tell us something to explain Tommy's absence.  Last we saw him, Lydia broke up with him, and he was in rehab.  They don't even mention TJ, and they made such a big fuss over how much everybody loved the baby.  Then it was like none of those people existed any more.  Did we miss some line of dialog where they told us where these people were or why no one in the family suddenly didn't care about them any more?  The character feels like an afterthought since they couldn't even get his story straight right out of the gate.  First episode - he'll be there for dinner.  Second episode - he's getting out of prison after 3 years.  Really long time jump between first and second episodes??  It's just weird, so I was wondering if we'd missed something in late Season 5 or the first half of Season 6.

The difference from how Tommy was referred to in the first episode and in the second is just the usual discrepancy between a pilot and the series it becomes.  But how his absence was explained (or not) after the baby story line, I have absolutely no recollection.  Knowing this show, he probably was just gone without any reference.

I originally started watch R&I in season 3 -- got hooked and watched through the end. I decided to watch from the beginning, and just watched the pilot. Loved it, but had to come and comment that damn, R&I have mad chemistry from the very first scene. I have no trouble understanding why some people shipped them.

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:44 PM, rainsmom said:

I originally started watch R&I in season 3 -- got hooked and watched through the end. I decided to watch from the beginning, and just watched the pilot. Loved it, but had to come and comment that damn, R&I have mad chemistry from the very first scene. I have no trouble understanding why some people shipped them.

They really did.

Episode 1.7 "Born to Run" (2010, 3 years before the Boston Marathon bombing) just aired:

Rizzoli and Dr. Isles run the Boston Marathon and find a dead runner at Mile 3 and Mile 12 marks. Impossible to get back-up, and fearing more deaths from panic and stampede, they silently endeavor to solve the crimes as the race continues

In hind sight, it was so weird hearing Jane's concerns about it not being terrorism and the potential loss of life if there was panic caused by shutting down the race.

• Love 1