Type keyword(s) to search

Amber Riley/Mercedes Jones

(edited)

News about Amber's album and Glee related at the same time:

tumblr_n3bg19iVy71r4ezfzo1_500.png

tumblr_n3bgusWeDM1qbdepdo1_r1_500.jpg

Not a bad sign for Amber she has a song written by Claude Kelly and Emeli Sande (who i adore) as an original song for her album.

Edited by caracas1914

Really hoping got her album finished this year and that its like Adele crazy good. I don't believe her voice has been truly the recognition it deserves by Ryan Murphy or a lot of the Glee fans. I hope she releases it before the show ends but at the same time I want it out there without any connections or ties to Glee. Well I know I will be purchasing it whenever she decides to drop it. Oh yeah I hope she keeps killer writers and producers like those for Colorblind (I love that song)!

Amber Riley was at the White House today and met with President Obama at the White House Student Film Festival.   President Barak said as an aside while he was greeting Amber "She's got some pipes, really good!"  : )

• Love 2

Amber Riley was at the White House today and met with President Obama at the White House Student Film Festival. President Barak said as an aside while he was greeting Amber "She's got some pipes, really good!" : )

It was actually a little while ago. Whenever the Paris Con was, it was the same weekend. But getting props from the president is always awesome. I really hope an album gets done soon.

Amber was also in the row of Champions at DTWS Monday night.  She was seated with Alfonso Ribiero, JR Martinez, and Nicole Sherzinger (sp?). Tom Bergeron tried to get her to commit to coming back to dance in some special episode DWTS dreamed up.  Anyway, they were cute.  Tom and Amber always seemed to have a great affection for each other.

Amber instagrammed herself in bed after getting noodules removed with surgery from her vocal chords. She says that it's affected her full range for 9 months.

Hopefully she will be able to sing after several weeks.

Rest well, Amber!

Amber is cast in NBC musical "The Wiz". Here is info about the character she will be playing.

Amber’s role as Addaperle is one that might somewhat disappoint fans not aware that the role is one of the few female parts in the musical who appears in both acts of the musical. Addaperle is one of the most difficult roles to play because it combines comedic timing with the sheer vocal talents of a Mezzo Soprano able to sing the High note of a C5 and a low note of F3. Not everybody is blessed with the vocal chops to sing He’s the Wiz(ard). The part is for a scene stealer, and we all know Amber has the ability to do this well. So Congratulations on her for having fans and people willing to support her to help her shine in this role.

If you have never seen the musical the Wiz or the movie I believe that the Urban Dictionary definition below sums of the character the best:

Addaperle is a hilarious ghetto character from the hit broadway musical, “The Wiz” Addaperle is Glinda’s sister. Addaperle is the good witch of the north, and Glinda of the south. While Glinda is very graceful and poised, Addaperle is hysterically clumsy, carrying around her magic “wanga” which doesn’t always work so well. And, repeatedly crashing her bubble (she arrives in style) Addaperle is most famous for her krumping, which comes in handy in times of need.

This particular character is an audience favorite. And so is her song, “He’s the Wiz”. Out of all the characters in The Wiz, Addaperle is said to be the funniest, craziest, and sweetest.

Dorothy and the three friends grow to be Addaperle’s BFFs And in the end, Dorothy successfully finds her way home.

So, as you can see, it’s pretty hard not to fall deeply in love with this character.I’M ADDAPERLE!!! the good witch of tha north.

Credit for this,beautiful summary of the character goes: tohttp://tbloves2read.tumblr.com/post/126053748828/congratulations-to-amber-riley

• Love 1

No. She's not wrong.  The first examples that popped into my head upon reading that were Taylor Swift and Mylie Cyrus.  I consider the two of them to be the embodiment of mediocre.

Edited by LydiaMoon1

But didn't she have a recording deal when she released that single she performed on Glee. What happened to that?

Yes.  She had a deal for a few years.   She first said she was working on an album in April 2011 the second season. 

Yes but there is a big difference between getting a recording deal and actually bringing an album to fruition. Lots of people get recording deals. It sounds like the in between is where things got hung up. She wants,to sing certain songs have a,certain image. The record company,wants something else. Just having talent isn't enough. They want a,role for her to play. She is probably not getting brought the same type of songs that say, Nya might be offered. (Just as an example).The curvy, black girl with the big voice is marketed and sold a,certain way. And then they lose a lot of weight. Like Jennifer Hudson and Kelly Price. Then they get to be sold as "sexy and desirable".

I don't even think image is Amber's biggest obstacle in the music industry.  Her far bigger hurdles are ageism and racism.  Amber is almost 30 in an industry where 21 is practically over the hill, and the music industry has been freezing black artists (not named Beyonce) out of mainstream radio for quite a while now.

Edited by LydiaMoon1

Good points! She has many obstacles. The one thing we know is that girl can sing and she is versatile. But like you said if you aren't named Beyonce good luck going mainstream. But it sounds like Amber isn't giving up and is going to work whatever angles she can. The Wiz was an awesome showcase for her.

• Love 2
(edited)

IMO a gross and borderline offensive oversimplification.

Too damn lazy to work for it!

All the talented artists who can't get recording careers going; I doubt it's because they aren't relying on themselves enough.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 6