Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: New Orleans

Pirate John Lafitte helps Andrew Jackson defeat the British during the War of 1812, Sam Zemurray becomes a banana kingpin, and Louis Armstrong becomes a jazz legend.

Featuring; Jason Momoa as Jean Lafitte and Jack McBrayer as Andrew Jackson in "Jean Lafitte"; Thomas Middleditch as Sam "The Banana Man" Zemurray in "The Banana Man"; and Maestro Harrell as Louis Armstrong, Andre Royo as King Oliver and Miles Brown as Young Louis Armstrong in "Louis Armstrong.

Retellers: Allan McLeod on "Jean Lafitte;" Gloria Calderon Kellett on "Sam (The Banana Man) Zemurray;" and Daryl Johnson on "Louis Armstrong."

I have a 3rd grader's sense of humor - I couldn't get enough of Andrew Jackson and his diarrhea references.

Me too. The narration was hilarious, and Jack McBrayer made the most of it.

The Louis Armstrong story was really cute, plus it featured Bubbles from The Wire!

And Jack from Black-ish. And Malik from Suburgatory. (both as Louis Armstrong, young and older)

The drunker the narrator, the better. I enjoyed all of them.

I read the recent book about Sam the Banana Man. Really interesting stuff.

• Love 2

To my mind this was one of their best episodes. All three stories were good (Sam the Banana Man was entirely unknown to me), they were told just drunk enough, and the visual actors were all terrific. I especially enjoyed seeing first JackFromBlackish, then RandyFromTheWire (conferring with Bubbles!) as Louis Armstrong.

• Love 1

This was a great episode! Jason Momoa was hot as always and did a great job. The little boy who did Louis Armstrong was perfect! All three stories were very well done, I could listen to that horse talk forever, the poop talk was also pretty fantastic.

• Love 1
I forgot about the horse! Hilarious!

"Huh? You're going to shit on me?  That's OK, I'm an American horse", the talking trumpet and Andrew Jackson with diarrhea.  I'll also throw in the Jewish lullaby: "We're Jewish and we love it".  The show was definitely on this week.

This was solid for all three stories because they had a lot of people in all of them. And they got a talking horse! The narrators were all very good and had just the right level of drunk too. I liked that the cast wasn't the regulars we normally have, and the kid totally stole his scenes. 

Andrew Jackson killed it. I mean the guy was the original American berserker. They should do more with him.

• Love 1

Oh I just watched this one.  Allan McLeod narrated one of my all time favorite Drunk History stories , Percy Julian.  I enjoyed the Andrew Jackson/Jean Lafitte story  the best of the three and I realize that some of the best ones they do are when the narrator gives the actors a lot of dialogue to work with.  And he does. And the talking horse took it over the top.

And the little kid from Black-ish did a great job as little Louie Armstrong.