Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E00: The Family Tells All: Retrospective

Bastet
  • Start Topic

This was described on air as a special following the airing of season one, so I didn’t give it an episode title format.

I laughed out loud at the twins’ main concern being that the gender balance in the house was going to shift to equal rather than the males outnumbering 4-2.

I didn’t know she’d done a national (Barbara Walters) interview so young.  Interesting to hear the parents’ hesitation, believing it important for the country to hear from a child that young but frightened of putting Jazz and their family out there.  I don’t think there’s a right or wrong decision there.

I do think there’s something to the grandpa saying it’s worth it (putting themselves in the public eye) because Jazz is special; she has been remarkably articulate from a young age, so if someone is going to take one for the team and represent the youth segment of the transgender community she’s an excellent candidate.  Bring on the world in which transgender youth are so commonly understood no one has to put their life out there that way, but we’re not there.   It was also interesting to hear them say they understood those whose objections are not to Jazz living openly as a girl, but to her living as a girl on television.

I liked hearing from the friends, but it was a little unclear whether they all knew she was transgender before becoming friends with her; the narration made it sound like some of them were friends first and then found out, but Jeanette has previously stated she doesn’t really let people come around unless they know.  (Or maybe that was only in respect to dating, as she explicitly discussed tonight, but I thought she said the same thing in general.)

Given the show’s focus on dating, it was nice to hear Jazz saying it’s not a priority for her.  And to hear her so comfortable with the fact that, based on her only being 14 as well as on her being transgender, she doesn’t really know what gender(s) she’s attracted to yet.

OMG, Nemo the cat!  Being a cat fanatic, I’ve been on cat watch every episode, so learning Nemo’s story was my favorite part tonight.  Yes, I am one of Those People.

I didn’t catch until tonight that the grandparents are Jack and Jackie.  Heh.

Jazz's hope for the future is so simple, but that's exactly why it brought a tear to my eye.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

I do think there’s something to the grandpa saying it’s worth it (putting themselves in the public eye) because Jazz is special; she has been remarkably articulate from a young age, so if someone is going to take one for the team and represent the youth segment of the transgender community she’s an excellent candidate.  Bring on the world in which transgender youth are so commonly understood no one has to put their life out there that way, but we’re not there.   It was also interesting to hear them say understood those whose objections are not to Jazz living openly as a girl, but to her living as a girl on television.

Take one for the team is a perfect descriptor. While I wish everyone treated others fairly and equally, that's not yet the world we live in. If Jazz can help normalize being transgender, and not to be too dramatic, but maybe save some lives of people in the same position, I think it's worth it. I also think the family is aware of the cons of being a spokesperson and on TV, and as Jazz seems like a great girl, it seems like they're doing a decent job so far. (Plus, her siblings seem like alright people as well.)  

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 2

I liked hearing from the friends, but it was a little unclear whether they all knew she was transgender before becoming friends with her; the narration made it sound like some of them were friends first and then found out, but Jeanette has previously stated she doesn’t really let people come around unless they know. (Or maybe that was only in respect to dating, as she explicitly discussed tonight, but I thought she said the same thing in general.)

I think what Jeannette' s rule was for when she was younger for friends she told the parents and let them decide how to tell their own children. Though now that Jazz is older she tells people herself and Jeannette is adament about before kissing/relationship feelings the individual needs to know. One friend who said she didn't know stated someone told her in the fifth grade that Jazz was "a boy" but that was before she became friends with Jazz and when they became friends in the six grade Jazz told her.

The conversation with the grandparents about family and friends not being able to accept Jazz made me again wonder about Greg's family. Not trying to find out about them or "out" them it's just a gap in the story of a tight knit family.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I was surprised to see another Jazz ep on my DVR list.  I definitely liked this interview style special much more than the annoyingly edited and staged reality show.  I felt it offered the audience a much greater opportunity to learn about Jazz and her family.  There was a better sense of honesty here than what was available throughout the series.  I think they also did a much better job showing how three very different generations have dealt with this issue.  The grandparents were so sympathetic and it came across here how much they struggled to understand before they made the decision to accept and embrace their grandchild.  

I'm also pleased this interview approached the concerns of being a public figure.  It's one of those things where I cringe knowing that Jazz is so out there while I'm also incredibly grateful that she's stood up to 'take one for the team', so to speak.  Mostly I worry about her safety (though being so visible probably makes her safer than she otherwise would be) and her emotional well-being.  

I liked hearing from the friends, but it was a little unclear whether they all knew she was transgender before becoming friends with her; the narration made it sound like some of them were friends first and then found out, but Jeanette has previously stated she doesn’t really let people come around unless they know.  (Or maybe that was only in respect to dating, as she explicitly discussed tonight, but I thought she said the same thing in general.)

I may be recalling this incorrectly, but I think it was specifically discussing it with the parents and had more to do with Jazz going to other people's houses rather than just general friendships.  So if she were going to a sleepover, the parents needed to know beforehand, which is a very unfortunate safety concern.  

• Love 2

How did I miss the cat's story? I thought I was paying attention!

It was a very brief story when the interviewer Jeannette and Jazz were talking about Jazz' s room makeover. Plus, Nemo who is white was lying on a whittle dresser so blended in! But it was basically Memo was born missing an ear and was rejected by her mother so that's how they ended up adopting her.

I agree with Grandpa Jack, Jazz is special!

The scene of her in dance class not being able to wear a tutu broke my heart.

I had seen that footage before but it was much more heartbreaking with Jeanette's commentary.

Agree this format is much more enjoyable than the manufactured reality format.

Edited by AnnieGirl
  • Love 1

The video of Jazz looking so crushed when she wasn't allowed to wear a tutu at the dance recital was heart-breaking. Her sweet, sad little face made me tear up. Jazz is one amazing girl - funny, smart, beautiful, kind, and courageous. Very courageous. I would be delighted and proud to call her my daughter.

Edited by ThinkerBell
  • Love 1