Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E19: The President's Fitness Test

• Start Topic

Adam is afraid to take the Presidential Physical Fitness Test, so Beverly writes a note to excuse him from the challenge, but the plan hits a snag when the gym teacher tells Adam that he needs a presidential pardon to get out of the test. Meanwhile, Erica gets a visit from her French pen pal, whom Barry wants to impress.

Brilliant. As always.  Everything from Barry talking louder because he's speaking to a foreign person, to Beverly going ridiculously over the top to try and get Adam off his Presidential Fitness Test.  Erica conning Barry one last time, for his own benefit.  Murray clearly feeling hurt by Adam's bowing out from his help.  The subtly 21st century meta humor behind "Hey, it's a pocket knife".  Cat farts.  Eye of the Tiger.  

Show, I love you. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't get the problem with a renewal.  I thought the ratings were decent, if not epic.  

EDIT - Yahoo TV rather confusingly has The Goldbergs right up front in an article about "Bubble" shows, and yet at the same time says they think it has an "80% chance" (which hardly sounds bubble like to me).  - https://tv.yahoo.com/photos/shows-on-the-bubble-1394741600-slideshow/

They point out that its regularly beat New Girl in its timeslot.  Which makes it sound NUTS that there's ANY doubt of a renewal at all.

Edited by Kromm

I don't get the problem with a renewal.  I thought the ratings were decent, if not epic.  

ABC is known for saving their renewals until late April, early May. They're apparently always the last ones to renew their shows, except for their breakout hits. Silly, but not unexpected. I'm not concerned about the show being renewed, but more concerned about where ABC is going to slot S2. With The Neighbors likely being cancelled, I would hope they wouldn't slot the show on Friday nights at 8:30. Keeping my fingers crossed it gets moved to Wednesday night right after The Middle. That's what I'm expecting, but you never know with the those IIC over at ABC. 

I loved the episode. It was right up there with some of the best ones this season. What I loved about this episode (and about this show, really) is that it all ended on a very happy note, but without coming off corny. Erica helped Barry out; Beverly helped Adam out; and Murray was there to witness Adam succeed at the pull-up bar. And then to have Adam teaching Murray to swim? There was an audible "awwwwwwww" from me.

But the show always tempers those sweet moments with legitimately funny stuff, too, which is necessary to keep the show from being cheesy. For example, after Adam did his singular pull-up, it would have been easy for the show to leave it at that and let him revel in his success. But the gym teacher's quip (something along the lines of "That was ugliest pull-up I've ever seen done-- but good job, Goldfarb") was perfect.

In other news, Beverly really is the perfect s'mother, and WMC is perfect in the role. The show got lucky in casting her.

• Love 1

Let me confess.  As much as I loved the episode, I almost thought it would have been better if Adam FAILED to successfully complete the pullup, but tried anyway, and that Murray was there to support and congratulate him simply for trying.

Did anyone else notice that "Eye of the Tiger" was a cover, and not Survivor's version? I don't believe the show's done that before. I was a little disappointed, but perhaps they couldn't afford the original version.

• Love 1
But the gym teacher's quip (something along the lines of "That was ugliest pull-up I've ever seen done-- but good job, Goldfarb") was perfect.

Actually, that was the one and only time in the episode he actually called him Goldberg.

Fantastic episode!  ABC has to renew this gem!

• Love 1

Loved the bits from the gym teacher along the lines of,

"I have received direct orders from The President of the United States in mimeographed form to administer a physical fitness test..."

"Did you see Red Dawn?  What are you going to do when the Ruskies parachute into your town..."