Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: The Bachelor Party

• Start Topic

Really enjoyed this episode, and enjoyed the series overall, for the most part. I thought the ex-husbands were the weakest part, and preferred we just didn't see them. They just never seemed to play right, and I don't know if that was the actors or the direction.

But...Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin were wonderful, IMO. They have that elusive chemistry so many other shows try to capture in leads. If you made the show 90% them, plus Brianna, I think it would be nearly perfect. Brianna may have actually been my favorite character, and the actress played her exactly right.

• Love 2

Loved Brianna!! I don't think I have ever seen the actress before but I think she is wonderful!

I was mostly bored with the ex-husband's and I kind of got a bit cringy with Sam Waterson trying out comedy. He is more effective in a dramatic role. I thought he was great in NEWSROOM.

Hate to say it but Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin seem more spry than me which is sad since I am younger. Both actresses are good together and appear to have fun embracing their respective roles. There's good chemistry here.

This is not a great show by any means but it is entertaining. Yep, I'd watch another Season to see what the gals get themselves into.

I think part of the issue I'm having is that i don't find Sam & Martin to have great chemistry together, or at least believable enough that I'm like "yes, this guys have clearly been in love for decades." I am really enjoying Sam and I like the layers of his performance but the two calling each other "sweetheart" and munching on well-prepared apps isn't totally selling me on the depth of their relationship. Jane and Lily seem to have a better chemistry than they do.

• Love 3

I loved this series. It isn't the sum of its incredibly talented cast, but it's good. And I like Sam Waterston in his role -- he seems to be exactly the guy who would have been married to Frankie. I think the problem is Martin Sheen. As much as I admire him as an actor, this just seems to be all the same mannerisms and inflections as JBartlett -- which ends up being quite distracting and detracts from any sense of chemistry between him and SW.

Lily and Jane are amazing. That is all.

I've never even seen The West Wing (I had to google 'jbartlett') and still I find Martin Sheen not believable as a man in love with Sol.  SW seems "all in", Sheen seems to be going through the motions.  Not that I think all gay men need to flame or be effeminate or even affectionate.  I just get the feeling that Sheen's willing to play a gay man but not to actually put his mind into what it would be like to love Sol, and to be coming out at his age, in his situation.  

I've never even seen The West Wing (I had to google 'jbartlett') and still I find Martin Sheen not believable as a man in love with Sol.  SW seems "all in", Sheen seems to be going through the motions.  Not that I think all gay men need to flame or be effeminate or even affectionate.  I just get the feeling that Sheen's willing to play a gay man but not to actually put his mind into what it would be like to love Sol, and to be coming out at his age, in his situation.  

That character kind of works for me. Everything we know about his marriage to Grace, which took up the vast majority of his life, looks like he just isn't very good at loving people. He's selfish and a bit of a bully and not terribly sensitive. It would be romantic for coming out to turn him into an open person who's in touch with his feelings, but I don't know if people work that way :)

That was why the last few minutes of the last episode were so striking for me. I felt like Sol was about to bring his news into the moment where Robert was starting to realize that this was his chance to have all that.

• Love 5

Drunken Bud heading out to cover the giant phallus with balloons is fantastic physical comedy.

I love that Grace is so committed to cheering Frankie up she suggests a list of activities like freeing the lobsters from the grocery store tank, and ultimately enthusiastically ditches Guy for a "Say Yes" night.

• Love 1