Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Ruthann

Ruthann promised her cousin that she would turn their historic house into a bed and breakfast when it was sold to her but instead she has destroyed the crown jewel with her cat and antiques hoarding. Ruthann blames the situation on "the other woman" who happens to be her daughter that ran off with her boyfriend and had kids with him.

OK, that back story about her daughter was enough to make me hoard, no I think I will drink instead.  The poor granddaughter, I wonder if she knew the whole story about parents and Ruthann.   I could not figure out who the son in law was.  Had her daughter remarried already?   You know her house is probably worse now than it was before since she is not doing any of the follow up.  It was good to see that her granddaughter was getting some therapy.  

• Love 5
(edited)

There's a Facebook page called the Possum From Hoarders. We post and snark during the episode -- very often joined by people from the show. Cory Chalmers joined us tonight. Good times! Lots of snarky comments tonight.

I'll admit I cracked up when the daughter was getting high in the bathroom. And why exactly was she wearing headphones? Planning on a dance party through the debris?

Edited by Bubbacat
  • Love 6
(edited)

Ruthann's daughter may consider herself "the other woman" (probably because her abuser convinced her that she was the temptress that lead him astray) but it sounded an awful lot like somewhere between when she was 7 years old and when she was in 8th grade, he began molesting her. She even called it "molesting" at one point and said she told her mother when it was happening. Then she runs away at 15, this 45 year old man chases after her and suddenly she loves him and they're married???

WHY DID NO ONE TALK ABOUT THIS??? WHY DID THEY KEEP REFERRING TO RUTHANN AS THE VICTIM??

I've seen some fucked up families on Hoarders but this might take the fucked up cake.

Eta Bubbacat that was pretty hilarious.

Dr. Green: I thought I smelled pot. What are you doing?

Daughter, deadpan: Smoking pot

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 11

There's a Facebook page called the Possum From Hoarders. We post and snark during the episode -- very often joined by people from the show. Cory Chalmers joined us tonight. Good times! Lots of snarky comments tonight.

I used to post there all the time during shows.  However, when it checked it 2 weeks ago (?), or maybe the first ep, it was dead.  Like no one posted anything.  So I haven't checked since.  

(edited)

There's no way in hell i could ever do what the people on this show do. I don't have the patience. The Drs and workers are saints to deal with these people as gently as they do.

I know this is a mental illness and I'm evil for saying this but I just want to slap the shit out of some of these people.

This woman's house is crumbling down and she's screaming because they want to throw out a bent nail.

Loved the daughter smoking buds in the bathroom. I was doing the same thing here at home and I was just watching on TV.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 5

I feel sorry for the animals which were returned to her. I wondered who the son-in-law was too. Maybe there was another daughter who didn't want to be on the show.

I asked Dr. Green about the son-in-law on her FB page.  She said he was a new guy, so the daughter did not take long to move on.  She and Ruthann really need therapy but from the update notes it looked like only the granddaughter is getting any follow up. 

• Love 1

They never seemed to say to Ruthann if you don't clean up, you can't live here and then it won't matter anyway. She should not have been left there alone! She should be in a home! Not there by herself with that filth and all that stuff! I can't believe they left her in that situation. She is old, she is going to die soon and they are going to have to deal with all this. The fucking antiques might be worth something but they are buried under piles of filth and shit. They love this stuff so much but they treat it like shit. 

• Love 1

Ruthann's daughter may consider herself "the other woman" (probably because her abuser convinced her that she was the temptress that lead him astray) but it sounded an awful lot like somewhere between when she was 7 years old and when she was in 8th grade, he began molesting her. She even called it "molesting" at one point and said she told her mother when it was happening. Then she runs away at 15, this 45 year old man chases after her and suddenly she loves him and they're married???

WHY DID NO ONE TALK ABOUT THIS??? WHY DID THEY KEEP REFERRING TO RUTHANN AS THE VICTIM??

I've seen some fucked up families on Hoarders but this might take the fucked up cake.

I KNOW. I watched the whole show with my mouth hanging open. "I loved him. I still love him. he's dead". How is it ok in anyone's world to marry your molester and have kids with him? How do the mother and daughter have any kind of relationship? Where was the boyfriend/husband all those years? Were they having Saturday night suppers at the family home? Movie nights? my blood runs cold, really. There is enough fucked-upedness there for a slew of Lifetime movies.

Ruthann's affect was really strange. I mean, most hoarders have a strange affect, but hers was especially so--she ducked her head and giggled like a middle schooler. She did that flirty, sidewise glance. She was like Bette Davis in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. Creepy.

• Love 7

Ruthann's affect was really strange. I mean, most hoarders have a strange affect, but hers was especially so--she ducked her head and giggled like a middle schooler. She did that flirty, sidewise glance. She was like Bette Davis in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. Creepy.

This. Every time she cocked her head to the side and did the flirty glance thing to the camera it just freaked. me. out.

• Love 1

aquarian1, you have to scroll down to where it says Posts to Page on the left side.  None of the comments show up on the main timeline.  (I hate Facebook's setup.)  But there were a handful of people chatting on there last night.  Sadly, Possum did not show up.  But the bunny did.

aquarian1, you have to scroll down to where it says Posts to Page on the left side.  None of the comments show up on the main timeline.  (I hate Facebook's setup.)  But there were a handful of people chatting on there last night.  Sadly, Possum did not show up.  But the bunny did.

Thanks, but I did that and during the first or second show there were like 2 posts that said "Where is everyone?"  "Is this not a thing anymore?"  I checked the next week and those were still the same old 2 posts so I never checked back.  I see a lot more there now (or I should say yesterday after I read the post saying people discussed there).

(edited)

I was really upset that they returned any of the animals.  And what about the turtle?

She is one of the worst hoarders, but I'm losing patience with family who won't call code enforcement or child/adult/animal services.

Edited by auntjess

I asked Dr. Green about the son-in-law on her FB page.  She said he was a new guy, so the daughter did not take long to move on.  She and Ruthann really need therapy but from the update notes it looked like only the granddaughter is getting any follow up.

Wow, I thought the granddaughter said the husband/child molester had just died a month ago. Did I mishear?

I was really upset that they returned any of the animals.  And what about the turtle?

She is one of the worst hoarders, but I'm losing patience with family who won't call code enforcement or child/adult/animal services.

I Hope the turtle got re-homed. Those poor cats will end back up in chicken coops. :-(

Wow, I thought the granddaughter said the husband/child molester had just died a month ago. Did I mishear?

You heard right.

My thought was that they weren't together anymore, hence the quick turnaround time for a new husband. I missed the first few minutes, then deleted the recording as soon as I watched it, so I'm not sure about a few things. Did Ruthann's daughter and boyfriend actually get married? And do we know if they were still married or living together at the time of his death? He could've even been living in nursing home care. Ruthann's daughter (wish I could remember her name!) could still said she loved him but have been divorced from him, for instance.

Anyway, a whole family of relationships were screwed up by that guy. It's not even the age difference so much as the previous nature of their relationship. Not exactly incest, but ugh. I can't believe the mother and daughter are still in each other's lives! How do they even begin to make amends and move on?

• Love 1

The thing is, Ruthann feels like the victim, when she allowed the guy to abuse her daughter for years.

I have even less sympathy for Ruthann than I for most of them.

Have you all seen the British show, Hoarding: Behind Closed Doors?  He seems to have more success, and his cleaners take less bs.

• Love 3

Have you all seen the British show, Hoarding: Behind Closed Doors?  He seems to have more success, and his cleaners take less bs.

Is there a place to watch it online and/or is it in BBC America?

She was delusional (as are most) but the daughter/boy friend situation was REALLY weird.  So she was molested as a child by the mother's boyfriend but ran away at 15 to be with him full time and then married him and had children with him?  What is the timeline on that?  Also - children of this relationship are (now) aware that their father started out as their grandmother's boyfriend?.

And please Animal Control - Do NOT return animals to people like this that are obviously unfit to have pets - the pets can't call protective services

• Love 3

Ruthann bugged the shit out of me - not only was the whole family dynamic thing screwed up, but the damage she caused to that gorgeous house and then the abuse to those poor animals?? Fuck you. I love old houses, and that one had a lot of beautiful woodwork and crown molding and built-ins......well, when it wasn't all buried under piles of garbage. And none of those poor animals should have been returned to her.

I hope she does get hauled off to some assisted living place, so that perhaps both the house and the animals can be saved.

• Love 2

Seriously TAMARA is nothing but a low down, Dirty......oh The things I want to call her. Maybe if she had kept her legs closed as a teenager, that would have been a start! No wonder RuthAnn doesn't want family near her especially the so-called Grand children.