Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E09: Jeff Davis 3

• Start Topic

(edited)

Guest comic Jeff Davis

Yaaaay!!

-------------

eta:

Games: Weird Newscasters, Newsflash, Hoedown, Scenes From A Hat and  Greatest Hits.

I actually liked Newsflash! I know; it not being gross helped immensely.  Plus recycled footage from the show was neat.

Newscasters was okay; I like that Ryan is using more of the set, not just folks from the audience.   I will always love Colin's opening joke for the game. Sometimes he goes a ways for a cheap pun, but like with other trips, it's how we get there that's fun.

I also enjoyed Colin's  Hoedown verse. It was funny and sweet, imo.

At first I thought Jeff wasn't going to do much with the second song of Greatest Hits. but he got inspired and came up with a couple of fun bits!

It wasn't outstanding, but it was fun, which is what the show's supposed to do, so I recommend it. I think it'll hold up to multiple watches too.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 2

This is the second time Ryan utilized the music equipment, which makes me wonder if he has a music fetish. That or versatility. I don't mind either. :P

For any avid Whose Line, watching Colin behind snippets of Colin from previous episodes brings back good memories, doesn't it? 

Pretty cool Jeff channeled his Keanu Reeves. Unfortunately, his Matrix reference regurgitates my intolerance for The Wachowskis' works. The Matrix is so-so, and Sense8 on Netflix has some pretty deep (and coherent) moments, but the rest... meh. And did I hear a harmony hit with high notes during that Ska song? Just....beautiful. <3

Overall, a good standard episode. Not the greatest, but I'll take Jeff (or any 4th seater) for any celebrity guest (unless their efforts dispel my expectations). 

• Love 1

You didn't love Ryan milking Colin's fingers? I laughed a lot throughout the whole episode. Having Aisha start at the desk instead of in the audience is much better, imo. And no guest star. Yay!

• Love 1

Yay! for no "celebrity" guest. And Yay! for none of the the games they keep playing with the celebrity guests.  

Speaking of games, I used to enjoy Weird Newscasters, but now I find myself getting a bit bothered that Wayne and, especially, Ryan don't treat it like a newscast.  Back in the old days, Ryan would tie the weather into his character, but now he is just playing a character - instead of being a weather reported in a war movie he is a guy in a war movie.  

That said, I likedthis episode and laughed out loud a few times (can't remember the specifics now).

• Love 2

Speaking of games, I used to enjoy Weird Newscasters, but now I find myself getting a bit bothered that Wayne and, especially, Ryan don't treat it like a newscast.  Back in the old days, Ryan would tie the weather into his character, but now he is just playing a character - instead of being a weather reported in a war movie he is a guy in a war movie.  

I agree. I think this might be a consequence of how crazy the character traits have become. If Wayne has to act out an entire weekend in Vegas in 30 secs he's going to be hard-pressed to fit in any sports talk. They do this with the dating game too. They rarely do Party Quirks anymore either, but same thing. They are so overly complicated. Sometimes Ryan will roll his eyes at his traits.

Overall they take far fewer suggestions from the audience too. I loved that about the Clive years.

• Love 2

That one bothered me too, because it seemed like it would have been so easy to do. He even mentioned something about a clear night, just not in the form of a weather report.  I wonder if it's just becoming so routine to them that they aren't thinking about the details anymore.

• Love 2