Type keyword(s) to search

We Get to Be the Judges!

• Start Topic

A place to post videos related to the show, produced videos, competition or class videos mostly tangentially related to the show.  Chloe and her Studio 19 friends, LA Classes that have girls we know from Candy Apples, Kalani's home studio mates, AUDC, Abby's rejected team.  Choreographers that are associating themselves with any of the large group of young dancers that have been associated with the show.

Cathy, has had a lot of ringers that we don't talk about much but are really quite amazing dancers.  You get the idea!  A place to post and discuss the upcoming group of SYTYCD casts.  (Kidding!)

• Love 1

I really liked Jordyn too!  I also liked Trinity from the next season, who coincidentally was also the "hip hop dancer" of that season.  

You can see her front and center from around the 2:10 mark -- she is really good! And the group of little kids that dances after her group are so impressive too!  I love watching these videos because the kids look like they are having so much fun, and the choreographers look so engaged in watching them and dancing with them.  

I get the feeling that a lot of the kids getting work in LA are the ones who are good at hip hop.  Those are the kids getting booked for music videos, awards shows, etc.  Abby should invest in some good hip hop teachers for her studios... 

• Love 2

I stumbled upon this solo of Brynn's.  She looks so much better here then she did with Abby's choreography.  I think this would have won.  Also, its telling that Abby put Brynn against Maddie, because as far as I can tell Brynn was 11 when she was on the show, and actually closer to Mackenzie's age.

• Love 2

The video above shows a lot of flexibility but virtually no control and no real technical training.  Not saying she doesn't have any, just that dance doesn't show it.  A lot of these solo dances just show the individual dancers strengths and stays away from their weaknesses.  Technically, this dance has nothing. 

• Love 2

The video above shows a lot of flexibility but virtually no control and no real technical training.  Not saying she doesn't have any, just that dance doesn't show it.  A lot of these solo dances just show the individual dancers strengths and stays away from their weaknesses.  Technically, this dance has nothing. 

And I hate her feet...

And I hate her feet...

Her feet were not in her control, they were all over the place.  Sometimes she was curling her toes.  Ballet training would help strengthen her feet. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Well this solo was not choreographed to win any competitions or be purposely technical  -- this was a performance for a closing show, she never used it to compete and it was purposely choreographed for this purpose.

Either way though,  I disagree.  I think it's a beautiful dance that does show strength and control  She's obviously not a ballerina (although all Club Dance dancers in Pre-Pro take quite a bit of ballet), but she certainly is a technical and controlled dancer - one does not win mini best dancer at the Dance Awards, as she did this past year, without being one.  

Edited by sofiah
  • Love 1

Well this solo was not choreographed to win any competitions or be purposely technical  -- this was a performance for a closing show, she never used it to compete and it was purposely choreographed for this purpose.

Either way though,  I disagree.  I think it's a beautiful dance that does show strength and control  She's obviously not a ballerina (although all Club Dance dancers in Pre-Pro take quite a bit of ballet), but she certainly is a technical and controlled dancer - one does not win mini best dancer at the Dance Awards, as she did this past year, without being one.  

This. Perspective is key for that solo. Here is another performance Brynn did as the Best Mini Dancer

https://youtu.be/_jlJ-HQZs5g

• Love 1

Either way though,  I disagree.  I think it's a beautiful dance that does show strength and control  She's obviously not a ballerina

I knew she wasn't a ballerina because she's too young, but ballet would help her with control and stronger feet. 

The things these dancers have in common is they are super flexible, super tiny and super cute.  I don't follow these dancers so I'm wondering if anyone has any videos of the former "mini" dancers who are know dancing in their 20's.  I'm sure many of them have improved greatly and are quite successful. 

(edited)

Lemons, this is sort of the "age" of the ridiculously over-choreographed mini from my perspective.  Up until the West coast studios started getting crazy with minis about 10-15 years ago, it was pretty rare to see them.  Sure, there would be one here and there but when my 20 year old was a mini - there were only about 3 dancers capable here in our region.  Most of the old school teachers did and still do believe that teaching all these multiple turns to very young dancers teaches them to depend on the wrong muscle groups.  You could try to find videos of Brittany Hine, I have no idea if she still dances but she was one of the first jaw dropping minis on YouTube back when YouTube first started.

Also - over the time that my dancer competed, the gymnastics aspect as well as the cirque like flexibility became a big part of competition dance.  Not all studios do it but it became increasingly prevalent while the costumes got more flashy and sometimes questionable.

eta:  That second solo of Brynn's that is linked to has every.single.element. that I detest in a Mini solo.  Oversexualized movement, A E I O U facials and a freaking corset as a costume.  It's all just too much for a young girl and unnecessary.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 3

eta:  That second solo of Brynn's that is linked to has every.single.element. that I detest in a Mini solo.  Oversexualized movement, A E I O U facials and a freaking corset as a costume.  It's all just too much for a young girl and unnecessary.

I also didn't like that solo, I have to admit. 

I personally didn't follow dance that long ago so I don't know any that are now dancing in their twenties.  I have been a fan of Simrin Player though, since she was a little seven year old... and now I think she's around 17.  But when she was little she was more known for hip hop, she wasn't really a competition kid.  Either way, here she is at 11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5aSiopbgQo

And more recently...

I personally love that solo, but I know its not for everyone!

• Love 1
(edited)

I think I've seen too many solos to that version of Bang Bang to distinguish, but that was much better choreographically than the Tokyo solo.  <small voice> I don't like Tokyo's contemporary choreography, I think it's predictable, repetitive and boring.

Edited by NextIteration
(edited)

The Dance Awars Vegas happening right now.  Here's Kalani's solo competing for teen best dancer (results aren't in yet, I think they still need to announce top 10 and then re-do solos and have the improv competition

She won 5th overall in the regular nationals with this solo

If anyone is interested, this same youtube channel has a bunch of solos from Club Dance and others at TDA and a lot of them are pretty amazing!

Carlee was first in juniors with this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg-pVCkWrMg

And Bostyn's I really liked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unawS2cgaeI

Jaycee's also really interesting - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MShuwbiDUvQ

And some amazing minis from all the studios - too many to link, I won't bore everyone!

I've heard that Maddie and Kenzie will compete at TDA New York... will be interesting to see how they do!

Edited by sofiah

Ugh, I really just don't like the competition style of dance from Kalani or the others shown. It's kind of like modern dance, but not nearly as interesting and not a lot of beauty to it. 

I wonder if any of these dancers have been introduced to classical modern dance.  It doesn't look like it.  A whole lot of rolling on the floor, pilates moves, stretching and twitching.  I think a new trend seems to be making twitching moves.  And what happens is overkill.

A lot of negative statements have been made about Abby's choreography, but is this really that much better?

(edited)

I wonder if any of these dancers have been introduced to classical modern dance.  It doesn't look like it.  A whole lot of rolling on the floor, pilates moves, stretching and twitching.  I think a new trend seems to be making twitching moves.  And what happens is overkill.

A lot of negative statements have been made about Abby's choreography, but is this really that much better?

I think so.  The type of choreography above may not be for everyone, I accept that... but Abby's choreography is like choreography-by-number and is usually geared towards winning competitions.  If she gets her hands on a flexible dancer then its literally generic trick after generic trick with awkward transitions in between.  Plus its cheesy - she relies on pretty "emotional" music, ridiculous costumes and exaggerated pained expressions.  

If you guys watch Carlee's solo that I linked to above, its pretty traditional.  And she won 1st, so, judges at TDA do see the value in the more graceful dances too.  

I am in no way being snarky, just genuinely interested - I'd love to see some links to young dancers (not strictly ballet from YAGP etc.) that you guys do enjoy... besides ALDC of course.

Edited by sofiah

This seems to be Alexa Moffet's forté in choreography - please correct me if I'm off please @sofiah.  I don't think I'm a fan, I can't actually put my finger on why, it just doesn't do much for me.  It is sort of like it's Contemporary trying to be Modern or something.  I love Kalani's dancing generally speaking but both of those pieces just left me sort of meh.

I doubt that these kids have had time to be introduced to any form of classical Modern, I could be wrong though.

My biggest criticism of Abby's choreography is that it's often overly repetitive and unimaginative, especially the way that she always makes everyone a back up dancer to Maddie.  She's not very creative about featuring everyone and giving everyone a chance to shine which is what the best choreographers manage to do.

• Love 1

This seems to be Alexa Moffet's forté in choreography - please correct me if I'm off please @sofiah.  I don't think I'm a fan, I can't actually put my finger on why, it just doesn't do much for me.  It is sort of like it's Contemporary trying to be Modern or something.  I love Kalani's dancing generally speaking but both of those pieces just left me sort of meh.

Yeah, you are right.  And to be honest, I get tired of Alexa's choreography after a while too.   Sometimes it's a little heavy handed on the "this is a serious interpretive dance" vibe.  Trying too hard, so to speak.  But Kalani's solo "video game" solo is not Alexa's choreography, I think its Andrew Winghart.  The other solos I linked to I like better.  I just posted Kalani's onto the thread because they are the most relevant to Dance Moms :) 

• Love 1

I think so.  The type of choreography above may not be for everyone, I accept that... but Abby's choreography is like choreography-by-number and is usually geared towards winning competitions.  If she gets her hands on a flexible dancer then its literally generic trick after generic trick with awkward transitions in between.  Plus its cheesy - she relies on pretty "emotional" music, ridiculous costumes and exaggerated pained expressions.  

If you guys watch Carlee's solo that I linked to above, its pretty traditional.  And she won 1st, so, judges at TDA do see the value in the more graceful dances too.  

I am in no way being snarky, just genuinely interested - I'd love to see some links to young dancers (not strictly ballet from YAGP etc.) that you guys do enjoy... besides ALDC of course.

Carlee's solo was traditional what?  It wasn't traditional modern or ballet or jazz.  It was pretty but it would have been nice to add some dancing to show some musicality.  Still with the gymnastics and showing flexibility. 

As for Abby's choreography geared towards winning dance competitions?  They all are!  No surprise when you have studios that compete at this level.  I don't see the difference between Abby's over-focus on flexibility vs the other choreographers over-focus on flexibility.  Abby totally overkills the turns, that's for sure.  Her studio must be good at teaching turns and she puts way too many of them in each dance.  But otherwise, I see the other choreographers doing the same moves over and over to win, just like Abby.  It then becomes a matter of preference or taste as to which one  you like better. 

I don't follow young dancers or competitions, but I can look at you tube and see if there is a style I can find that would show some routines that are different.

• Love 1
(edited)

Carlee's solo was traditional what?  It wasn't traditional modern or ballet or jazz.  It was pretty but it would have been nice to add some dancing to show some musicality.  Still with the gymnastics and showing flexibility. 

As for Abby's choreography geared towards winning dance competitions?  They all are!  No surprise when you have studios that compete at this level.  I don't see the difference between Abby's over-focus on flexibility vs the other choreographers over-focus on flexibility.  Abby totally overkills the turns, that's for sure.  Her studio must be good at teaching turns and she puts way too many of them in each dance.  But otherwise, I see the other choreographers doing the same moves over and over to win, just like Abby.  It then becomes a matter of preference or taste as to which one  you like better. 

Traditional when compared to the other solos which you described as twitching, etc.  It was more fluid, had more traditional elements  and was more traditionally "pretty".  I wasn't making any claims in terms of genre.

And I disagree - not everyone choreographs to win.  These specific solos, perhaps, because they are from TDA - but in general a lot of these choreographers are not associated with any one studio per say, so when they come in and choreograph a dance for a Club Dance student, for example, they are not that invested in weather it wins or not.  They also have jobs teaching at conventions, performing as dancers themselves, choreographing for real working musicians/actors/tv productions/etc. and are much less concerned about competitions.  Abby is obsessed with winning competitions because that's all she's really good at... no one is about to ask her to teach a class at a real, credible convention, or choreograph a legitimate music video, etc.  We all saw what happened when she was a guest judge on 'Dancing With the Stars'.

But I do agree that a lot of it comes down to taste.  I think Abby is lucky she has a talented dancer like Maddie that makes her choreography look as good as it does.  Some of Maddie's solos that Abby choreographs are beautiful - but I'd love to see her working with some different people.  The few times I've seen it I've been impressed by her ability to adapt to other styles.  

Edited by sofiah
  • Love 3
(edited)

Yeah, you are right.  And to be honest, I get tired of Alexa's choreography after a while too.   Sometimes it's a little heavy handed on the "this is a serious interpretive dance" vibe.  Trying too hard, so to speak.  But Kalani's solo "video game" solo is not Alexa's choreography, I think its Andrew Winghart.  The other solos I linked to I like better.  I just posted Kalani's onto the thread because they are the most relevant to Dance Moms :) 

I think this is what leaves me meh.  Thank you!  These kids are far too young to be dancing this way, even Kalani really, they aren't mature enough to pull it off perhaps.

Which leads me to another criticism in general and Abby/Gianna specifically and another trend in Mini-Jr dancing that I don't like - they are too young to be doing heavy lyrical most the time as well.  They don't have emotional level or life experience to pull it off and it shows in their faicial/interpretation.  Apparently the judges disagree with me though.  Abby has had some good creative pieces, like the one with swing in Season 2 I think?  Also the one about texting.  Those were concepts that the girls really seemed to understand and internalize which to me is part of the process.  That's also something hard to capture when you are cranking out a dance a week - but I suspect both of those dances were "real" competition pieces that they did all season.

Light sweet balletic lyrical is fine, like to a Disney song - but most of the time beyond that, I don't like it very much in very young dancers.  Let it wait until they are Teens.

eta: all that said, I think it's great that they do work shops and masterclasses in all of this, and that's the benefit of bringing in master teachers and doing conventions.  It comes down to the performance side for me, learn and do combos, but I don't think little ones are ready for Jason Parsons, know what I mean?

eta 2:  I didn't watch any of the other solos besides Kalani's but I just watched Carlee's and I get what you are saying about it being more traditional and in that it appealed to me more.  I take it that these are stripped down this way because they are the solos that are meant to compete for Dancer of the Year or whatever the term is for TDA?  Does everyone take it to this "over serious" level?  Are there requirements or elements in place?  (I should probably just go read the rules I suppose...)  How old is Carlee?  I just think the over-emphasis on flexibility and floor work for no other reason then being on the floor gets a little old.

Edited by NextIteration

I thought this was neat. Travis Payne (the guest choreographer from a few weeks ago) dancing with inmates in the Phillipines

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mKtdTJP_GUI

Gimi - loved this! I hadn't seen that one yet! - I still wish that Travis took over the ALDC and all the old girls would come back to join him/ I can just imagine the beautiful lyrical, funk and hip hop dances he could come up with!

Also - can you imagine Travis trying to teach a bunch of prisoners that here in a US prison? Wouldn't happen - in other countries, prisons are run with an iron fist - here to many of the guys - it's just another day in the park. That was probably a real treat for those guys in the Phillipines.

(edited)

eta 2:  I didn't watch any of the other solos besides Kalani's but I just watched Carlee's and I get what you are saying about it being more traditional and in that it appealed to me more.  I take it that these are stripped down this way because they are the solos that are meant to compete for Dancer of the Year or whatever the term is for TDA?  Does everyone take it to this "over serious" level?  Are there requirements or elements in place?  (I should probably just go read the rules I suppose...)  How old is Carlee?  I just think the over-emphasis on flexibility and floor work for no other reason then being on the floor gets a little old.

I don't know what the guidelines for the solos themselves are, but winning a "Best Dancer" title is quite an achievement.  First, to be eligible you need to have won 1st place or title at a regional Jump, Nuvo or 24/7.  Then there is a jazz class/audition and a ballet class/audition where contestants are observed and judged (I am guessing to see their technique before they've had a chance to practice a solo a million times, how well they pick up choreography, etc.)... from there all the contestants compete a solo (which are what I linked to)... from there top 10 are chosen based on combined score of the classes and solo.  Top 10 then compete in an improv competition - to a "slow" song, and then a "fast" song.  This part is really fun to watch, you really get a sense of who is a natural dancer and who just happened to do a great solo.  From there the top 3 re-compete their solo, and from there the winner is chosen.  TDA only happens once a year in NYC and once in Vegas, so the standard is usually pretty high.

One of my favorite little dancers, Tate McRae, won 2 years ago.  I love the way she dances, she has a quality of movement that is very mature for her age, imo. Although given my track record on this thread I am sure no one will agree! :)

Anyway, if Maddie does indeed attend TDA in New York she'll be up against her.  

Also, sorry for posting so many links everyone -- I've been home sick from work for the past two day... so, a lot of time laying around with nothing to do!

Edited by sofiah
(edited)

Here is The Dance Awards rules for Best Dancer:

Best Dancer Competition

Dancers that wish to compete for the 2015 Best Dancer Titles must win an eligible scholarship, during the 2014-2015 season, at either: JUMP DANCE CONVENTION (VIP Winner or Runner-up), NUVO DANCE CONVENTION (Breakout Winner or Runner-up) or 24 SEVEN DANCE CONVENTION (Non-stop Dancer Winner or Runner-up). All competing Mini, Junior, Teen and Senior Best Dancer Finalists must prepare a solo, in any style of dance, under three minutes long. Along with competing a solo, Best Dancer Finalists will take part in an Audition Class where they will learn a short Jazz & Ballet combo and perform it for the judging panel. Each Best Dancer’s Audition Class scores will be combined with their solo score to determine the Top 10 Best Dancers (male and female) in each age division. The announcement of the Top 10 will take place later in the week and will be immediately followed by the Best Dancer Dance-Off.

During the Best Dancer Dance-Off, the Top 10 dancers (male and female) in each age division will be asked to improvise to random music selected by The Dance Awards. The format of the Best Dancer Dance-Off is subject to change at the Directors’ discretion. Each Best Dancer’s Dance-Off score will be combined with their solo score and audition class score. After the scores are combined, the Top 3 dancers will be announced and they will re-compete their solo right at the Dance-Off. After the Top 3 perform their solo, the judging panel will then rank the dancers 1, 2, 3. The average of these rankings will determine the 2015 Best Dancer Winners and remaining Runners-Up. The announcement of the Winners and Runners-up will happen during The Dance Awards Show at the end of the week.

All Top 10 Best Dancers (male and female) from each age division will be presented with an award onstage during The Dance Awards Show. The Top 3 dancers from each age division will then be announced, followed immediately by the announcement of the 2015 Best Dancer Winners and remaining Runners-Up. The Best Dancer Winners (male and female) from each age division will then be asked to re-perform their solo later in the show.

It's a lot like NYCDA's Outstanding Dancer, and I think it was modeled to be that way, except NYCDA has a lot more audition/observation classes.  So, there really is no reason for Club Dance's competitors to have these stripped down solos to compete for Best Dancer except that it's a choice.  Another Guideline:

Best Dancers Finalists must use a DIFFERENT solo if also competing in the Finals Solo Competition. (Remember, to compete in the Finals Solo Competition you must also be registered to compete in a Group, Line, Extended Line or Production. No exceptions.)

which is why Kalani has two solos.  A requirement for her to have that 2nd Finals Solo is that she had to have competed with Club Dance in some sort of group dance, this has always been one of Gil's hard and fast rules.  There is no solo requirement to place at regionals though - to compete for the Best Dancer in the nationals, the reason for this is the regional basis for the nationals competition is a dance convention (where there is an audition class with a combo learned, judged by the master teachers), not a competition.  

In conclusion, Tate's a very talented little dancer, but I want to see these little ones competing solos in jazz, musical theatre, hip hop (w/o sexualized movement or A E I O U faces) and tap - or balletic lyrical in slippers to cutesy songs, leave the heavy lifting for the Teens and Seniors, and stay away from the overuse of flexibility and off the floor for extended periods of time.  heh ;)  Picky, aren't I?  And clearly out of step, it seems like in all things we don't want to let the little ones be little anymore and are forcing down skills to kids before their time.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 2

One of my favorite little dancers, Tate McRae, won 2 years ago.  I love the way she dances, she has a quality of movement that is very mature for her age, imo. Although given my track record on this thread I am sure no one will agree! :)

This one looks to be the same as all of the other ones.  Exact same rolling on the floor, oversplitting, flexing, no musicality.  And another undersized adorable little girl!  They are all interchangeable.  How do they tell them apart?  Unless these girls have a teacher who can choreograph a more original dance with actual dancing, I would imagine Maddie would win.

• Love 1

Also, sorry for posting so many links everyone -- I've been home sick from work for the past two day... so, a lot of time laying around with nothing to do!

I think the thing I don't like about this style is that it reminds me too much of a gymnastics floor routine. There's a lot of emphasis on moves that showcase strength and musculature, and others that showcase control, but very little dance. Tate's a cute kid with an amazing amount of body control for her age, but I'd like to see something that showcases her musicality and has her up off the floor.

• Love 3
(edited)

You just summed up everything that is wrong with Asia Ray's dancing. That little girl gives me the creeps when she does the stripper movies on the dance floor.

So I don't know if Lemons ever went and looked up Brittany, but here is her solo from age nine and here is age ten, in retrospect, at least her "sexy" moves are in the realm of okay (cutesy) for her age and she stays off the floor.  Then we have the seven year old Single Ladies girls of Dance Precisions, again, they aren't on the floor without a reason.  BUT, I'm from flyover country and we just never see this stuff that they do on the west coast and that was even as of two seasons ago.  That sums up my clips from creepy minis from the past, that aren't Asia but clearly influenced her mother. 

This one looks to be the same as all of the other ones.  Exact same rolling on the floor, oversplitting, flexing, no musicality.  And another undersized adorable little girl!  They are all interchangeable.

It seems that way.  And I have to eat my words about these solos, here is the local gal that tied Carlee for 1st, it's not that much different.  Eva and Carlee are Juniors, I'd like to say that Eva wasn't on the floor as much but I think I'd be lying.  I guess it's time for me evolve.  Ha!

Edited by NextIteration
(edited)

So I don't know if Lemons ever went and looked up Brittany, but here is her solo from age nine and here is age ten, in retrospect, at least her "sexy" moves are in the realm of okay (cutesy) for her age and she stays off the floor.  

Which one is Brittany?  Is she in one of the videos above? 

What I was trying to look up were older girls that actually dance but I only see the same videos that are posted here.  It's the same studios and the same stage mothers that put up videos.   And they are all the same.

And here is a typical comment on the Brittany video you linked.   "Its all just turns and tricks. There is no pure dancing and its the same thing as her other solo. Needs more quality dancing. But she is good at those tricks though."

Edited by Lemons
  • Love 1

What I was trying to look up were older girls that actually dance but I only see the same videos that are posted here.  It's the same studios and the same stage mothers that put up videos.   And they are all the same.

I understood that, she was just the first "mini" that came to mind and I did mention that I had no idea if she were still dancing.  She did get a mention in Dance Spirit when she was 14 - but I couldn't find anything else about her dancing now.  She'd be about 19 now.

I understood that, she was just the first "mini" that came to mind and I did mention that I had no idea if she were still dancing.  She did get a mention in Dance Spirit when she was 14 - but I couldn't find anything else about her dancing now.  She'd be about 19 now.

Oh, I get it.  It's interesting, either they stop dancing, stop winning or stop posting so many videos when they get to a certain age.  And I do think the most recent videos of the "minis" are an improvement compared to her routine.

I missed most of the dance awards because I was away :( But I saw club dance had a ballet variation and placed.

Also the dance awards has a new rule about switching studios or going independent, which I think is dumb. I also hate how they have two nationals, what's the point of having "best" dancer.

I can see why Kalani got 6th.

I'm hoping to see Kayla Mak from WDA in NY.

(edited)

Hi everyone! I'm new to these boards, just discovered this place in the last few weeks! I recently decided to register and then to comment when I saw you discussing Tate. I thought I'd share another video of Tate dancing with Myles Erlick for a Blake McGrath choreographed music video that was recently done. It's still a contemporary number but it you can see a bit more dancing in it than the solo above.

Rule the World by Walk the Earth: https://youtu.be/Pm0rygVF1P0

A bit more on Tate:  She does dance everyday with a ballet school in their profession division so she is doing plenty of classical training as well. She does very well in ballet and has won scholarships with YGAP. She will be dancing in New York for TDA so she will be facing Maddie. It will be interesting to see what Maddie does for a solo. I am sure it will be far different than the Abby style of choreography when she knows she will be facing several extremely talented dancers, Tate being one of them. Tate has a bit of a tie-in with Abby as well. I can't remember the name of the competition that Abby was running then, but a couple of years ago when Abby was doing the video submission competition she named Tate the winner and invited her to boot camp. I'm not sure if Tate ever went though, but I'm thinking she didn't. I admit I am a bit biased towards Tate as a fellow Canadian and have mutual friends. This is where my knowledge of her comes from.  

I have had daughters dancing competitively for about 10 years now and have seen the style of dancing that the judges like change a few times! Yes, right now the judges love the quirky, flexible, show control and roll around on the floor type of dance. That's what wins so that's what they're all doing now. Personally I'm enjoying watching that more than seeing how many tricks (mostly aerials and walk overs) the choreographer can try to get in with hardly any dancing in between. To each their own though and I'm sure others may disagree!  I must say I do miss the days where more actual dancing was involved and less acro or gymnastic type moves were seen. I look forward to the days when that comes back in style! 

Sorry for the long first post! 

Edited to try to fix link, hope it worked this time!

Edited by brokefromdance
  • Love 4

brokefromdance - welcome to the boards! I loved your link and thank you for it! Those two are great and I have to say I think Tate is much more talented than any of Abby's girls just from watching that video. She may be small but her extensions are awesome. Toes are always pointed - shoulders are straight in the turns ( which many of Abby's girls aren't ) and she dosn't fall out of her turns. Loved it!

• Love 2
(edited)

A bit more on Tate:  She does dance everyday with a ballet school in their profession division so she is doing plenty of classical training as well. She does very well in ballet and has won scholarships with YGAP. She will be dancing in New York for TDA so she will be facing Maddie. It will be interesting to see what Maddie does for a solo. I am sure it will be far different than the Abby style of choreography when she knows she will be facing several extremely talented dancers, Tate being one of them.

Thanks for the info!  I have been a huge Tate fan since the first time I saw her dance.  She is one extremely talented little dancer.  Her extensions are to die for, her movements are so strong and smooth and the amount of control she has is unreal. Also, I heard Maddie was doing "All of Gods Creatures" at TDA, but I find that hard to believe... I guess we'll see!

NextIteration - I think one of those little girls in the "Single Ladies" video is Autumn Miller? I could be wrong, but if so she's definitely still dancing at Mather Dance Company...

Edited by sofiah
  • Love 1

Thanks tessa! Tate is an excellent dancer and I'm sure she'd tell you that a good part of that is the intensive ballet training that she takes. Tate also does train in the other disciplines but ballet really is the foundation of it all. From watching Abby's so called ballet numbers on the show I'm not sure that Abby knows what true ballet is! Once again this just proves the point that these girls need to concentrate more on their training and less on their tv show if they are serious about becoming professional dancers. 

Wait Maddie is at the dance awards competing??

Thanks for the info! I have been a huge Tate fan since the first time I saw her dance. She is one extremely talented little dancer. Her extensions are to die for, her movements are so strong and smooth and the amount of control she has is unreal. Also, I heard Maddie was doing "All of Gods Creatures" at TDA, but I find that hard to believe... I guess we'll see!

NextIteration - I think one of those little girls in the "Single Ladies" video is Autumn Miller? I could be wrong, but if so she's definitely still dancing at Mather Dance Company...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX8-xs2DJRk

Yep that'd Autumn Miller. I don't find her all that impressive. She's a good dancer but she blends in with the crowd.

Sofia - I've just checked the competition schedule for Dance Awards and Maddie is listed as doing "All of God's Creatures" and Tate will be preforming "Isolated". They're both dancing the evening of July 6th.

Here's the link to the schedule if anyone is interested in watching the livestream that night: http://www.thedanceawards.com/july6

Thanks!  IDo you know if Maddie is competing in the Best Dancer competition too, or just solo's?  I'm assuming Tate is doing both.

Lemons was looking for "super Minis that are now or close to adults still dancing.

Sofia - I've just checked the competition schedule for Dance Awards and Maddie is listed as doing "All of God's Creatures" and Tate will be preforming "Isolated". They're both dancing the evening of July 6th.

Here's the link to the schedule if anyone is interested in watching the livestream that night: http://www.thedanceawards.com/july6

Thanks for the link. I wished my dancers and I could've gone this year, it's right next to us. Emma York, Tate McRae, Payton Heitz, and some of the studios on there I recognize. I hope Maddie and kenzie are doing this for fun and not to win.
  • Love 1

I hope Maddie and kenzie are doing this for fun and not to win.

Doesn't every dancer want to win?

That was a cute video with the little girl named Tate and her partner.  She is definitely on the same level as Maddie.  It will be a matter of the judges' opinions on which one should win.

(edited)

That was a cute video with the little girl named Tate and her partner.  She is definitely on the same level as Maddie.  It will be a matter of the judges' opinions on which one should win.

I know for my dancer?  She was never someone that was going to take 1st overall in a solo competition and she was painfully aware of that, she danced against herself, to better her adjudicated scores and to move up towards 1st.  She had to work really hard for it, especially after crappy training early on.  She was ecstatic the first time she got a 4th overall, I'll never forget her shock!  It was a good night. :)  Moving from a gold soloist to a high platinum soloist over a few years meant a lot to her.

I'm not sure how dancers that win overalls all the time feel about that, but I've seen an awful lot of those girls get to a place where they feel entitled to 1st and get not so nice when it doesn't happen.  (See:  The I was robbed mentality.)  

Different judges, different day.

eta:  Canadian dance schools seem to train their dancers so much more fully than most US schools, they keep that ballet core and then add out from that, I have seen the most amazing character dances, acro (cirque like), hip hop, jazz, contemporary, tap and ballet from these schools -  there is something different about the way they run their schools, they have really well rounded, technically proficient beautiful dancers across all genres.  Tate's school looks like another example of one of them.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 2
(edited)

Thanks for the link. I wished my dancers and I could've gone this year, it's right next to us. Emma York, Tate McRae, Payton Heitz, and some of the studios on there I recognize. I hope Maddie and kenzie are doing this for fun and not to win.

Yeah, me too.  They hopefully know what they're up against. 

Maddie has pretty good technique so she might do ok?  I don't know.  It'll depend on who else is there I guess.  They say she's a very good student, so perhaps she'll do well in the ballet/jazz auditions and that'll count in her favor.  I don't know if it will hurt or help her that all the judges will probably know who she is ahead of time.  But then again, they also know who Tate is, who is Emma is, etc.  

Mackenzie is doing "Take That" which is her typical acro solo... hopefully they don't put her in pig tails!

Anyway, I watched the dance-off last night.  Kalani made top 3 (well, 4, I guess they couldn't chose).  

ETA: If anyone is interested, here are the links to the dance-off

Junior girls - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX2-sLvDitY

Teen girls - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VueHM5s8Cyw

Edited by sofiah
  • Love 1

That was a cute video with the little girl named Tate and her partner. She is definitely on the same level as Maddie. It will be a matter of the judges' opinions on which one should win.

No. My dancers dance because they love it. It's also a great experience to travel, learn choreography, and work towards goals. Yes sometimes they do want to win, depending on the comp but most of the time they're doing this because they love it

• Love 1