Type keyword(s) to search

Wayward Pines: Gone (MS Surface Ads)

Anybody watching the 2 to 3 minute ad for the Microsoft Surface called Gone?  Since for some unknown reason the Americans with Disabilities Act doesn't cover web series even when made by major studios, it doesn't have Closed Captioning, so I'm out.

The acting is also pretty sub-par.   

I am watching it, but the FOX website does not cooperate with my browser.  (I run Firefox with a flash-blocker, and I've already tried to enable and white-list FOX but the videos still refuse to load and play.)  I have resorted to waiting for a TV station in the Netherlands to upload the clips to YouTube, which means I also get to see subtitles in Dutch.  I tried linking to the clips on the Australian FOX affiliate, but those are region-blocked for me.

I don't mind the acting, as it seems appropriate for the condensed format of a web series.  The Micro$oft product placement is no worse than what they do on Hawaii-Five-O. I am more concerned with how much of GONE is its own little take on the concept of WP, rather than being a parallel story within the larger canon.  For example, is "the mountain project" going to be just that one reporter's name for it or a classified code name she uncovered?

I might rewatch these, but I'm not scouring them frame-by-frame for clues.

The Micro$oft product placement is no worse than what they do on Hawaii-Five-O.

Talk about damning with faint praise!  H50 is pretty bad.  (But with people like skipping the ads, they have to pay for the programs somehow, so I guess I can't complain.)

I just hope they don't dump important information in the web series, and not mention it on the show.

The Micro$oft product placement is no worse than what they do on Hawaii-Five-O.

I'm thinking that Chevy might be a sponsor as well, considering the amount of the time that Eric was by his car and the 'Volt' logo was front and center in the shot.

I watched them this morning, and meh.

They're ok for what they are.  Though I was surprised that the woman at the newspaper office was "in on it" -- which means that any assistance she provides could be diversionary (to keep Eric away from Sarah) or manipulative (to get him to disappear as well by directing him into Wayward Pines).

• Love 1

Just learned about this thanks to a mention on the WP board.  It's not great, but I'm lapping it up anyway.

Have we seen Sarah in Wayward Pines?  She looks sort of familiar, but maybe it's just from something else.

I guess now we know that people don't always end up in WP from driving nearby and getting into car accidents.  It appears Sarah was somehow pressured into cutting ties with her old life (someone was clearly watching while she recorded her goodbye video) and leaving with them for WP.

Episode 6 is up -- Eric has a chat with Digger, and finds out that he was hired to help dig out a mountain somewhere 20-30 minutes from Lowman, Idaho.  And Digger tells him that after the job was done, he went off the grid and then the disappearances started happening.

Episode 6 was really good. One of my biggest questions about the show was how the hell did they secretly carve out a bunker in a mountain, so it was good to see that this Web series actually does tie into questions that are relevant to the episode. Well, at least in this case...maybe also when we found out that Sarah was pregnant and that kids are important to WP.

I was surprised that no Microsoft products were in this episode. I kept waiting for The Digger to pull out his phone and call for help to get away or the husband to pull out his tablet to show one more to ask about...like maybe searching for a mountain within 30 minutes of whatever that town was, and BAM!, with your Microsoft Surface Pro, you can locate a secret mountain project in 2 seconds flat.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, it's cool to get some more backstory.  And this is all (at least so far) perspective from the present day, from people outside of WP.  I wonder if this series too will eventually move forward to the 41st century?

It definitely helps underline how, regardless of Pilcher's motives, his actions were equivalent, from the perspective of people in our time, to being a serial killer.

It makes sense that he would want to abduct construction workers: they had a lot to do after 2,000 years (and then again after Group A self-destructed).  But where are they located in 4028?  Only volunteers in the mountain complex, right?

Edited by SlackerInc
  • Love 1

It makes sense that he would want to abduct construction workers: they had a lot to do after 2,000 years (and then again after Group A self-destructed).  But where are they located in 4028?  Only volunteers in the mountain complex, right?

I think Pilcher just hired them to do the job and sent them on their way with lots of cash. However, The Digger did say friends of his were disappearing, so maybe Pilcher did abduct some other workers.

In WP, we had road construction traffic cone guy that Theresa showed the house to and who saw the frozen people. But I'm guessing the guy who puts the cones out for the guys who actually do the work isn't exactly a specialized skill.

• Love 1

I finally caught up to the seventh entry in this web series.  (It gave plenty of screen time to the branded software and hardware, thank you sponsors.)  I'm glad to see Sarah is still alive, assuming that tube they were holding her in wasn't prepping her for hibernation.  It does make me wonder, assuming science ever advances that far, how they can maintain both a mother and her unborn child in the same hibernation safely.

Maybe they have her in a cryogenic chamber ready to be frozen? But why would they be taping this and sending clues to her husband when they don't want anyone to find out about this Mountain Project. Granted, he figured out a lot thanks to his Microsoft Surface Pro--now available at your local retailer--but now the one who has his wife sent him the thumb drive directly...following him to The Digger's house and putting it on his windshield.

• Love 1

This is sad.  I stopped watching Wayward Pines but I'm still following Gone.

Don't be, I'm also finding the Gone series more interesting, well not by that much, but yeah.

Why wasn't Sarah entombed in that black stuff that Reggie was covered with when they refroze him in the TV episode ?  And how come she was in a different module than everyone else (also on the TV show) ?  I'm expecting Eric to catch a blackjack to the back of the head and wake up in WP soon.

• Love 1
(edited)

Epsisode 9 is up -- and Eric discovers that Pilcher's people weren't after Sarah and her child, they were after Eric all along.

While the scientist explains what they are doing -- freezing people for millenia to preserve the human race -- he doesn't explain why they are doing this to Eric.

I'm still curious why they wanted Eric -- in the very first 'Gone' episode, he appears to be working at an aerospace engineering firm (what with the models of space shuttles and Apollo capsules in his office), is Pilcher planning on going into space to escape from the abbies ?  Because Pilcher's people were actively trying to recruit him.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1
(edited)

So the Microsoft Surface Pro and Windows phone aren't so amazingly powerful to crack the mysterious codes--they wanted Eric to come all along. They could have just sent him an email to his Microsoft Outlook account in episode 1 saying "If you want Sarah, come to our secret mountain bunker in Wayward Pines, Idaho" and saved all the drama.

Edited by JenE4

The ending was rather predictable but at least it was efficient as far as getting to the point.

Still better than this show's ending, at least we didn't end up with uninteresting, unlikable characters in some lame plot twist.

• Love 1

Wha?!?!?!?

I was expecting some sort of explanation on how Pilcher was in the real world/old world talking to Ethan's old partner. Any helps for me?

This was just a companion online web series to the series, but focused on another character entirely.

(edited)

Wha?!?!?!?

I was expecting some sort of explanation on how Pilcher was in the real world/old world talking to Ethan's old partner. Any helps for me?

That was a flashback, but we didn't know it at the time.  (I assume you meant his boss, Adam Hassler.)

Edited by SlackerInc