Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Wages of Sin

Mary and Wainwright grow closer; at the same time, the Starry Messenger comet approaches Earth; Anne continues to glean knowledge from her dead father's writings; and a long-brewing feud reaches a tipping point.

Not a huge fan of this one. I felt like they spent most of the episode trying to make me to feel sorry for Mary and I just can't. Even if the kid that was so precious wasn't actually literal demon seed, the way Mary kept trying to justify her actions, as though she was forced to perform the Grand Rite (which sounds like something pretty advanced and therefore optional among the witches) and all the other horrible things she's done just annoyed me. I spent the episode feeling bad for Tituba (and then Anne, who I wish had gotten more screentime) and hoping that we'd get more of the Countess than we did. I liked Sebastian, but then I was pretty meh on Wainwright.

• Love 1

Even though I like Mary (or at least find her an interesting character), I do think she is making herself look more like a victim then she actually is/was.  Granted, I don't remember all of season one, but I do remember that she was the one that made the decisions to get where she was (her options were bad, but still), and it did come off like she enjoyed some of the evil stuff, so I do think she is painting herself in a better light.  That said, I can buy some of that was to get Alden back on her side; at least when it comes to saving their son.  This is easily the most interesting that Alden has been the entire season.

That said, yeah, it sucks that Tituba is now the one being chained up.  She really can't catch a break, can she?  Only Issac (remember him?!), seems to have worst luck then her.

So, it was Wainwright who gets the big death.  Sebastian pretty much pushes him into hell.  Sucks to be him, but again, at least he got to have awesome, magical space sex with Mary, before spending eternity in damnation.

Cotton is made to look like a fool, and not only is he banished back to Boston, Hawthorne seems to be setting things up for him to have an "accident", on his way there.  No, Cotton!  Hopefully Anne in turmoil, will make him overpower his captures or something. Anne herself seems to be getting in crazier territory.  Cool that they got Xander Berkley to voice Hale again, for all of the journal entries.

The Countess is clearly enjoying herself, but she better be prepared.  Mary with her back to the wall, is Mary at her most dangerous.

• Love 4

This was a bit muddled. Is that the end for Wainwright? Because I kind of liked him in the end; non-judgemental and open to new ideas; so naturally he gets thrown head-first into the pitch. I much preferred Mary/Wainwright to Mary/John.

I really struggle with what exactly the definition of a "witch" really is in this show. Because Anne's story suggests that however good you are, however powerful you are, you're going to end up on the devil's side whether you like it or not. There was some nice continuity at least between what happened to her and what Mercy/Mary had to go through to get their powers, but the whole thing is pretty icky. 

I'd also love some more backstory on Tituba. 

• Love 1

I have to agree with you guys. I enjoy Mary but she truly is not a victim here. She loved being Queen Bee last season. So this "Tituba made me do it" act gets a side eye from me.

Speaking of Tituba, damn, ol' girl can't catch a break! It's obvious she is so hurt and in love with Mary. If I left the show feeling sorry for anyone, after this episode, it was her.

And poor Anne. I loved that she was gaining control over her power but it sucks she then had to be assaulted by that demon. I have a feeling that, once she is unleashed, Anne is gonna turn everyone out. And I can't wait. She's been one of my favorite characters since last season and has truly come into her own after discovering that she is a witch.

• Love 2
(edited)

I really struggle with what exactly the definition of a "witch" really is in this show. Because Anne's story suggests that however good you are, however powerful you are, you're going to end up on the devil's side whether you like it or not.

WERD. so basically you cannot be a good witch on this show. if you are a witch you are in league with the devil. 

and let me just add that Anne Hale would have been a perfect opportunity for the writers to add in a GOOD witch... but instead they had her kill cats, kill her rat ("brown jenkins" loll that name is so dumb btw), put a love hex on Cotton and now screw the devil. whaaaaaatever. can't one of these bitches step up and be like "NOPE, i grow herbs and heal the sick so take your devil shenanigans elsewhere ladies."

Edited by msbeesknees

and let me just add that Anne Hale would have been a perfect opportunity for the writers to add in a GOOD witch... but instead they had her kill cats, kill her rat ("brown jenkins" loll that name is so dumb btw), put a love hex on Cotton and now screw the devil. whaaaaaatever. can't one of these bitches step up and be like "NOPE, i grow herbs and heal the sick so take your devil shenanigans elsewhere ladies."

Agreed, the all witches are evil storyline is lame and one dimensional. I hope the good doctor escapes from hell, poor Wainwright, so eager to learn, and then sent straight to hell.

Much as I'd love a "good witch" storyline, I think the idea here is that these kinds of powers have only one source, and that source is evil. Whereas a lot of witches get their powers through a deal, some bloodlines like Anne's are already "devil-touched" or something like that. And when Anne employs her inherited powers, she has a limited use of that power until it builds up and she has to personally deal with the power behind it all. I'm thinking that without encountering the devil in the woods she would have at best lost her powers or at worst, died and possibly gone to hell. For all we know some ancestor of hers turned every single Hale soul over to hell eons ago.

Just my theory, of course.

• Love 1

The male characters of this show are so lame-o. I'm so over Cotton's drunken, self pitying mess. John is the least charismatic leading man I've ever seen. The evil magistrate and Sebastian are quite one dimensional, so is little John. Isaac is okay-ish, but he's barely ever there. I did like the doctor and hope he's not done. Him/Mary were a million times better/hotter/more interesting than Mary and John. They had more chemistry, too.

Still loving Mary at least, I think she's a great character. Pretty much all the women are engaging characters, to me. Even Mercy got better this season. Still trying to figure out what is the deal with Anne, but she may turn out to be one of the most powerful, if not the most powerful, witches of the show. I guess that will be a thing in season 3.

• Love 1