Type keyword(s) to search

Catch Fire's Blaze Burns Brighter Than Ever

Well, I gave up on the first sesaon after 3 episodes because it was so dumb. But I love the cast and truly want to see them all in quality work. I've heard from several sources that this second season is a complete overhaul of the show and that it's pretty great.

So I guess I might give it a try again. This season 2 promotional photo is EVERYTHING.

I marathon'd season 1 a few weeks ago when it showed up on Netflix. It was okay, but definitely frustrating. I kept hoping that there was something completely bananas like Lee Pace's character actually being a time traveller trying to make the PC revolution happen. (Which is the only way you can explain half of his weird-ass behavior in the first 5-6 episodes when he seemed to be some kind of near-superhuman manipulator.)

I will say that this show is fucking on-point with its early-80s DFW metroplex look and feel. Pretty much every scene in Donna and Gordon's house was a huge flashback to my childhood.

Hopefully the big take-away from last season is that they say "fuck the history" and just go with the story. The biggest annoyance I had with the first season was that they weren't close enough to the real history of how the IBM clones came about to be good history, but it was too faithful to how things happened to be able to go off in the weird directions that would have made for more satisfying stories.

• Love 3

I liked the show. I think it took a little while to find its feet, but really came together at the end. Not every show is a home run from E1. This was a good summer show and I'm looking forward to S2. I really wish there were more good shows, but it seems like the bar is unfairly high for everything. 

• Love 1

I kept hoping that there was something completely bananas like Lee Pace's character actually being a time traveller trying to make the PC revolution happen. (Which is the only way you can explain half of his weird-ass behavior in the first 5-6 episodes when he seemed to be some kind of near-superhuman manipulator.)

Ha!! LanceHunter that would've been awesome. And yes, one of the main reasons I quit the show after the first few eps was because I love Lee Pace so much and I couldn't understand what the fuck was happening with his character or why the writers/directors/Pace himself? were making those choices.

• Love 1

I will say that this show is fucking on-point with its early-80s DFW metroplex look and feel. Pretty much every scene in Donna and Gordon's house was a huge flashback to my childhood.

I think I said nearly the same thing last summer in the nostalgia thread. When they show Donna's driver's license at one point, her address is listed as a (fictional) street in "Richardson TX 75081", which is exactly where I grew up back in the early '80s. Their kids probably would've been in my class at school. The location scouts chose a house that looks exactly like all those east Richardson neighborhoods around the Texas Instruments complex, and the set designers did a hell of a job of decorating it just the way a home would've looked back then.

And the Dallas verisimilitude is even funnier because the whole show is filmed in Atlanta (where I live now). I'll admit I originally tuned in to the pilot just to see all the ATL locations, but I got a huge kick out of how well they replicated my youth. Plus, it turned into a damned good show by the end. Donna is a marvelous character, and I'm thrilled that it looks like she'll be front-and-center in S2.

(edited)

I marathon'd season 1 a few weeks ago when it showed up on Netflix. It was okay, but definitely frustrating. I kept hoping that there was something completely bananas like Lee Pace's character actually being a time traveller trying to make the PC revolution happen. (Which is the only way you can explain half of his weird-ass behavior in the first 5-6 episodes when he seemed to be some kind of near-superhuman manipulator.)

Room for one more LanceHunter? This comment had me LOLing all over the place because Joe being some kind of Terminator-like alien robot from the future would totally explain the lengths he goes to on his quest for PC domination.

Not totally finished with season 1 on Nextflix and I am not sure of it's Joe the character that I like, or his playlist on Spotify that I am obsessed with. Sticking with it and looking forward to the rest of the new season.

Edited by 2AT