Type keyword(s) to search

Sarah's Marathon Diary: Time Flies When You're Having Fern

I loved this show as a wee one, AND it scared the living hell out of me on a regular basis. Granted, it's dawned on me in the intervening decades that I was a very wimpy, whingey child. I look forward to your assesment of whether any of it is remotely unsettling now, or...well, further confirmation that I was insufferably timid. Heh.

(edited)

If I ever have a band, its name might have to be Aggressive Casio Tootling.

And I'm with you on the UFO stuff, Sarah. Give me Bigfoot, el chupacabra, haunted houses, demonic possessions, and seemingly inexplicable sciencey stuff up the ying yang, but the second anyone mentions aliens? I'm out...especially if it's about people who claim to have been abducted and lived to tell the tale. Oh, you "married" an alien, and had a human/alien hybrid baby? Okay, I'll just be...over here rolling my eyes aggressively...AWAY from you. I just don't find it interesting at all.

Edited by Kristen

I know I watched a ton of these, and took them fairly seriously, but I was too young to know that people will blatantly misrepresent something if their paycheck depends on making it "mysterious".

I know I liked it then, but I'm kind of afraid to go back and watch them again. It would probably make my blood boil. The people stubbornly supporting these things in the face of facts that refute them is just too reminiscent of people like anti-vaxxers and other denialists. Maybe that's unfair, because no chupacabra hunter or crop circle analyst ever gave a baby whooping cough, but that's how I feel. Sorry to be a grouch.

Maybe a few of them would still be OK. I think there was one about Oak Island and the succession of treasure hunters throwing money away on a mirage. They were definitely not hurting anyone but themselves.

"no chupacabra hunter or crop circle analyst ever gave a baby whooping cough" -- THAT WE KNOW OF.

(hee.)

Some of it's def. going to be a letdown, for the reasons Latverian cites, and also because technology and our ability to analyze "events" more objectively is necessarily going to take the air out of some of these phenomena in terms of the creep factor. It's like that Ghost Hunters show; it's not for believers, necessarily.

And I don't know WHOM the killer-bees episode is for.

(edited)

The killer bees. My brother used to scare the crap out of me about the killer bees. He told me once they arrived here, we were doomed!

There was an episode that sticks out in my mind. A man was having premonitions about a plane crash.  Just a few months ago I googled more on this man to see if it was in fact, a legit story or if In Search of just playing with my emotions.  The segment highlighted the plane crash of flight 191 in Chicago back in 1979. There was a man who claimed to have had several dreams or premonitions of this crash. Here is one article about that man and the crash: http://ttotu.com/2015/02/03/flight-191-premonition-of-a-disaster/

Interesting tidbit, actress Lindsay Wagner was just about to board that flight when she had a bad feeling overcome her and she decided not to take that flight after all.

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 1

And I don't know WHOM the killer-bees episode is for.

You must not be old enough to remember the "killer bee" bogieman of the time. There were several fictional movie about their arrival at the time. What were we thinking?

I enjoyed this show when it first aired but suspect it's pretty laughable now because a lot of the subjects have been debunked (I'm looking at you, Amityville Horror!) or irrelevant ("global freezing").

• Love 1

I caught the killer bee episode at some point in the endless re-runs, and asked my grandfather about them. Grandpa proceeded to tell me they would arrive in ten years, and we'd all be dead. I was seven.

Those were ten long years.

• Love 2

When I was a kid, I watched the reruns and loved it. Particularly spooky was the reincarnation episode and the ghost episode where you see a woman sleeping in a bed, then she wakes up, cut to an ugly masked creature, she screams and falls dead.

One of the Big Foot episodes was spooky too. I remember a woman watching tv. She's sitting in front of a window. You see this big shadow move across. Then she turns and moves the curtain or blinds alittle to see out. Then a big hairy arm CRASHES! through the window and she starts screaming.

I became a baseball fan back in the day because I was tuning in the Chicagoland channel 9 (WGN) hoping to watch "I Dream of Jeannie." But back then, the Cubs played only day games at home, so usually I was stuck watching Harry Caray babble incoherently. I stubbornly kept watching, also hoping and waiting for a rain delay or some other miracle to bring back my desired programming. I gave up and became a Cubs fan instead.

Also, I heard a story about the prediction of the DC plane crash in the spring of 1979. My fifth grade teacher told us ominously that one of the passengers or somebody had written about being afraid of air travel, and that this statement appeared on.... PAGE 191! Which was the flight number. Something about the way she said it, as if this were a very significant coincidence very much impressed me as a 10-year-old, and I repeated the story to a number of people. I generally got blank looks in return. Eventually I figured out that maybe this wasn't as big a deal as I'd been led to believe. That's kind of how I feel about so many of these stories.

Where's In Search Of airing?    This was my go-to show when I was a kid.   I made sure to be in front of the TV every Tuesday night at 7:30 pm.   What a great era!   Chariots of the Gods, the 1973 UFO flap, all those drugstore paperbacks about Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, the Bermuda Triangle, etc. (and I still have ALL of mine!)   Life was full of wonder and mystery back then.  What do kids today have?  Kardashians.   So fucking sad.

I caught the killer bee episode at some point in the endless re-runs, and asked my grandfather about them. Grandpa proceeded to tell me they would arrive in ten years, and we'd all be dead. I was seven.

Those were ten long years.

I think this is my favorite post of the year.

Sorry for the endless delay in answering this. I was eaten by a Mayan shark. 

As far as I know it's NOT "airing"; my bro got me the DVDs for my birthday. However, there is a YouTube channel that has the entire series on a playlist, if you'd care to watch along. The quality is not *awesome*, but thanks to transfer tech still not being the greatest, neither are the DVDs. (These are captures from, I think, History Channel's midnight reruns of the show a few years back, so what you're seeing is slightly different from what I am, and the theme music is WAY less annoying on the YouTube verzh.)

You must not be old enough to remember the "killer bee" bogieman of the time. There were several fictional movie about their arrival at the time. What were we thinking?

TMC was playing The Swarm last night (well, 3:30 AM today); I had totally forgotten how bad this was! :-D