Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Homicide

• Start Topic

When Monica encourages the guys to pounce on a livestream opportunity, Erlich reconnects with his old mentee, Double-A, an energy drink billionaire, but Richard finds out their friendship isn’t quite what Erlich thinks. After learning that the livestream might hit a snag, Gilfoyle and Dinesh brainstorm their options. Jared encourages a friendship between Carla and Monica.

Promo:

I loved the SWOT board so much.  First due to Jared's joy when he brought it out and explained it.  He was so excited by the thought of running a SWOT session.  Then having the guys use it for whether or not to let Blaine die.  You really can SWOT anything! 

• Love 2

While I did find parts of this episode funny, AA insisting that Richard come back the next day without Erlich made no sense. I totally get that Erlich interrupts (a pet peeve of mine) and talks too much, but now we have these magical inventions like phones and email so AA and Richard could have worked out the details after their initial meeting without any interference from Erlich if they had just called or emailed each other.

I loved the focus group, mostly because Ramon had legitimate feedback and Gavin was so enraged that I thought he was going to crash through the mirrored glass like the Kool-Aid man.

Dinesh and Gilfoyle putting so much thought into whether to tell Blaine about his miscalculation reminded me of last year's season finale. I was also cracking up reading some of the cards they put on the SWOT board.

Well, at least this episode got them out of the incubator for an extended period of time. But implausible story lines still abound. Gavin, the exalted demigod would surely have insisted on a trial run of the product's video streaming to ensure that Nucleus would perform well during the fight broadcast. Not like Steve Jobs used to micromanage every new product demonstration to the nth degree, but just to make sure the product worked according to plan. But no, the paranoid meglomaniac was too satisfied enough with the lame assurances of his terrified developers to insist on it. Doesn't ring true.

How did the engineers at that venture firm figure out how to successfully duplicate PP's new middle-out method from a few short minutes of Richard at the white board?

• Love 1

An episode I loved all around just fell out on the bottom at the end with the Brain-Rape firm. Ugh, I liked the initial joke with them, about Richard being excited to actually talk about his IP, but there's no way from 4 minutes and a single whiteboard drawing they'd be up an running that fast, right? I don't know much about programming (like is programming even the right word here).

I get the narrative of having to overcome obstacles, but I need these guys to get a win every once and again.

• Love 3

How did the engineers at that venture firm figure out how to successfully duplicate PP's new middle-out method from a few short minutes of Richard at the white board?

I can't remember which characters did what, but when two of them dragged Richard into the hall to tell him he was being hustled, the third person stayed behind and wrote out the calculations for the tech team while they took screen shots.

I can believe almost any degree of social ineptitude with these guys, including their vulnerability to flattery, but that incident made them too, too clueless.

Guilfoyle's dry-as-dust contributions really hit the spot this week.  "Pretend you've met a woman before."  LOL

I loathe Erlich, but it was very nice that Richard never conceded even a halfhearted "yeah, sometimes" agreement to AA's legitimate criticism of the big blowhard.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ugh. I really enjoyed this... up until the last couple of minutes. EndFrame stealing their tech because Richard was careless is literally the same plotline we spent last season doing. We've covered in that earlier episode thread how utterly implausible that none of them realized they were being pumped (or had no protection). Could that few minutes have been enough? Sure, sometimes the couple of key ideas- and they spent several minutes whiteboarding- is all it takes to make that leap. All the more reason they should have, you know, patented this. Or that Rivaga, Gregory, Monica, Jared, even Hanneman would have asked about exclusivity.

Le sigh.

If Gavin can sue over nothing, then surely PP ought to lawyer up. Ugh, why is the show letting me down so much?!?

Edited by hincandenza

Erlich is too over the top for me.  I hate the character and share the opinion of AA, his voice is almost unbearable to me.  I am tired of slapping my TV screen every time he appears...

• Love 2

Erlich is too over the top for me.  I hate the character and share the opinion of AA, his voice is almost unbearable to me.  I am tired of slapping my TV screen every time he appears...

Is hearing his voice giving you PTSD? 

• Love 1

Loved it until the end... By this time last year, weren't the boys winning now and then? This season has been full of downers.

Did love the two girls' mutual loathing of being paired up all the time and Jared's corny "look at you." Sheesh.

• Love 1
(edited)

Poor Jared, who started out in Ep. 2 of Season 1 as a very sharp business planner and the voice of reason, has in Season 2 been transformed into an inarticulate  dull-witted spokesman on gender issues.

Yes, Erlich can be a bloviating mess, annoying at times, but he still provides an often-hilarious, extroverted, and meglomaniacal contrast in an incubator populated by reserved,neurotic, and emotionally stunted nerds. And he's been the source of some of the best lines in the series.

Edited by Should Be Working
  • Love 3

Poor Jared, who started out in Ep. 2 of Season 1 as a very sharp business planner and the voice of reason, has in Season 2 been transformed into an inarticulate  dull-witted spokesman on gender issues.

Yes, Erlich can be a bloviating mess, annoying at times, but he still provides an often-hilarious, extroverted, and meglomaniacal contrast in an incubator populated by reserved,neurotic, and emotionally stunted nerds. And he's been the source of some of the best lines in the series.

In this case Ehrlich (sp?) was also RIGHT!

Jared kind of lost it in "pivot" at the end of Season 1, so I'm OK with his descent into idiocy.

• Love 1

In this case Ehrlich (sp?) was also RIGHT!

Ehrlich, to quote Don Draper, knows how people work.  He doesn't count as people, though.  The tech revolution burped up a moment when Ehrlich could parlay his quirks and his knacks into one big pay-out.  In the decades that preceded it, he might have dreamed up a ponzi scheme, dictated a self-help bestseller, flopped as a Cassandra of a campaign consultant, or either mixed or drunk the Kool-aid.

Jared didn't seem like an idiot to me in this episode.  He was very socially awkward, which is the norm for him.  He is awkward with women, and he really does not speak the same language as the people around him.  I am actually hoping that the live stream of the condor being hatched goes viral.  It would be so great to have his seemingly silly idea become what helps propel Pied Piper forward.  

I am taking a PMP certification prep course this week.  SWOT was discussed.  When I offered the example of using it to determine if we should let Blaine die only one person got the joke, so now people think I'm crazy.  Still worth it.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

Cards on the "Let Blaine Die" SWOT board:

Strengths

Blaine is no longer alive

Blaine is dead

Web traffic goes viral

Ugly can car blood-soaked and totaled

A dead Blaine is a Blaine that can’t reproduce

Blaine’s last moment is realizing face is gone

One less guy named Blaine

Sense of accomplishment

Death captured in high resolution slow motion. Holds up on repeated viewings

Blaine severs jugular, bleeds to death— last moment is realizing math is wrong

After hitting building, flat bill of cap might actually bend

Blaine shits pants in fear. Pant discovered upon death

Impress hot Satanist chicks by boasting about Blaine’s death. <— Guilfoyle

Fulfilling “What would Satan do?”

Saves assholes from making mistakes in math

Weaknesses

Gina kills self out of grief

Gina marries Blaine in hospital out of grief

No sex due to “bummer vibe” of funeral

Blaine’s blood has AIDS and gets on kids

Building is structurally damaged

Blaine dies super fast

Unfortunate window washer must clean blood off building

Blaine dies slow but we can’t see because only family allowed in hospital

Blaine’s funeral televised, pre-empts Star Trek: TNG marathon

People wear t-shirts with Blaine’s face on them

Opportunities

Dishonor Blaine’s remains by putting dumb hat on body, dragging it behind car

Digging up Blaine’s grave, dishonoring remains again

Urinating on Blaine's grave

Defecating on Blaine’s grave

Masturbating on Blaine's grave

Grief threesome with Gina and Blaine’s hot mom?

Birds get to eat piece of Blaine

Exsanguination

Fuck Gina

Gina needs counseling

Blaine’s organs harvested for hot girls with cancer who then gratitude fuck us

Threats

Philz Coffee closes to honor Blaine’s memory

People find out and on YouTube video, we get flamed in comments

Vengeful Blaine supporters accuse us of criminal negligence

We can only watch him die once

Guilt (Dinesh only)

Over time, Gina becomes more clingy and less hot

Investigation and trial sets back Pied Piper build

Edited by WicketyWack
  • Love 8

Thank you for transcribing and posting all the cards, WicketyWack! That SWOT board was probably this season's tip-to-tip efficiency. I like that they were still thinking about Pied Piper's build *and* all the people whose day would be ruined by Philz Coffee being closed.

• Love 1