Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E20: Reese Witherspoon / Florence And The Machine

• Start Topic

(edited)

One cute moment I caught on re-watch was between Pete and his Mom.  She thanked him for the flowers, and he did a little laugh saying "I didn't get them."

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2
(edited)

I thought the acting in the Inappropriate Boss/Clueless Employee sketch was great.  The cast held their own against Witherspoon, who also played it very straight.  No broad, over the top reactions -- everything very natural (and therefore funnier, in service to the concept).

Kenan and Vanessa sometimes go way overboard in reaction shots in sketches, so I appreciated their restraint (or the director's insistence on it).

Edited by kassa

Monologue: What is usually the weakest part of the night (besides WU) was actually the only thing to save a rather blah show. Man, did I love this. The moms, the videos, all of it. It was sweet and funny. Was Leslie the only one who didn't come out? I'm not sure what her situation is regarding her mother, I hope she didn't feel left out.

Leslie Jones was born in 1967. It's possible her mother has passed.

(edited)

So what does it say that one of the few skits I found funny last night has come under fire for plagiarism....it's the second Canadian show that people have pointed at SNL for copying recently...

Mike Ryan offered up a pretty spirited defense of the show on this charge during the Not Ready for Primetime podcast for this episode. I appreciated hearing somebody stick up for the show.  I agree with him that it's hard to imagine someone blatantly stealing and thinking they could get away with it.  I think it's also such an easy charge to make with the internet these days.  They probably should have caught it with a google search, but for some reason they didn't. 

Edited by vb68

Mike Ryan offered up a pretty spirited defense of the show on this charge during the Not Ready for Primetime podcast for this episode. I appreciated hearing somebody stick up for the show.  I agree with him that it's hard to imagine someone blatantly stealing and thinking they could get away with it.  I think it's also such an easy charge to make with the internet these days.  They probably should have caught it with a google search, but for some reason they didn't. 

You're right that they should have caught it with a google search.

I can buy that they came up with the idea on their own, though. With shows like Celebrity Game Night Out there, it's believable to me that two different comedy writers could separately come up with the "draw Muhammad on a game show" idea.

The girl-groups-on-Nebraska-riverboats sketches, though, were so similar that I can't fathom that it was all just a coincidence. 

• Love 1
(edited)

You're right that they should have caught it with a google search.

I can certainly see how it could fall through the cracks, though.   I doubt that show was very much on their radar at all, but it is now.

The girl-groups-on-Nebraska-riverboats sketches, though, were so similar that I can't fathom that it was all just a coincidence.

I can.  That's an even more generic idea.  I don't think that basic concept even started with that sketch at the Groundlings.  I remember seeing Whoopi Goldberg do something very similar on Comic Relief years and years ago.

Edited by vb68

Leslie Jones was born in 1967. It's possible her mother has passed.

True, but my mom was born in 1960 and her mother is still alive. Tbh, any of the current cast members could have deceased parents (Pete is 21 and his dad died in 9/11). To paraphrase one of my favorite Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt lines: "Age doesn't matter. You can die at any time."

Interesting that they posted the cut sketch without any laughter, as in they didn't post the version that aired during dress. I'm wondering if it didn't get much but they still wanted to put it out there? I liked it, but I can get why they didn't air it.

I think the funniest thing with Cecily and the cocaine was how she just took what was supposed to be a container of it and snorted it, as if that's how people do cocaine.

• Love 3