Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Chillin' In The Waiting Room

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

After watching the first 5 episodes of Med - mostly just for Colin Donnel [to start off] - I think I'll never mind trying to get started and into the whole Chicago franchise.   With Med, its partially because a few characters are either very unlikable or when the story/plot requires it, they act OOC (yes, even after only delving 5 eps into it).

And for the franchise as a whole - watched Fire's 4.10 to better understand when going into Med's 1.5 -  and from what I've heard and/or read about the other two main series as a whole... despite the whole being fictional TV shows bit, I find it highly unlikely that outside-work PLI relationships would be allowed, overlooked or (possibly) even encouraged between team/squad members.

Maybe asking too much, but I'd like more procedural & team dynamics drama than realistically non-department approved driven romantic relationship drama in procedural shows.

6 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

After watching the first 5 episodes of Med - mostly just for Colin Donnel [to start off] - I think I'll never mind trying to get started and into the whole Chicago franchise.   With Med, its partially because a few characters are either very unlikable or when the story/plot requires it, they act OOC (yes, even after only delving 5 eps into it).

And for the franchise as a whole - watched Fire's 4.10 to better understand when going into Med's 1.5 -  and from what I've heard and/or read about the other two main series as a whole... despite the whole being fictional TV shows bit, I find it highly unlikely that outside-work PLI relationships would be allowed, overlooked or (possibly) even encouraged between team/squad members.

Maybe asking too much, but I'd like more procedural & team dynamics drama than realistically non-department approved driven romantic relationship drama in procedural shows.

They are all primetime soap operas, basically.  I don't think any of them (except maybe the now-extinct Justice) were ever advertised as "only" procedural shows.  All of them have elements of both.  I'm also sorry to see that you started with Med because - in my opinion - it's the worst of the three by far.  PD and Fire are much better, with PD probably being my favorite.

If that's not your thing, then maybe you'd like L&O: SVU?  In my opinion and from what I've seen, those characters don't even have personalities, let alone social lives.  

6 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

They are all primetime soap operas, basically.  I don't think any of them (except maybe the now-extinct Justice) were ever advertised as "only" procedural shows.  All of them have elements of both.  I'm also sorry to see that you started with Med because - in my opinion - it's the worst of the three by far.  PD and Fire are much better, with PD probably being my favorite.

If that's not your thing, then maybe you'd like L&O: SVU?  In my opinion and from what I've seen, those characters don't even have personalities, let alone social lives.  

I did watch quite a bit of the early seasons of SVU.  And IMO, that timeframe of the show was good.  I know nothing lasts forever - although MH seems to want to make a go of it - but when CM left the show, it began its downslide.   And honestly, I know its a 'steady job', but MH has held on way too long.  I tried watching some of the more recent seasons, and you're right, its blander than pure water and no real 'personality'.

I do want some 'heart' when watching a procedural, but not when every main character's heart of said show only yearns for another main character, when said MC's are work closely together in ways such they do on these shows.  I would expect some attraction and attempts at hidden relationships from time to time, but that's not the case with this overall Chicago franchise. 

JMO.

Just finished watching an old rerun of Chicago PD and guess who shows up at the end? Dr Reece is at Molly's with the girls from PD. She has a drink, a smile and a personality! Who knew? What happened to her? Do the writers hate her? Such a difference. 

• Love 1

I am watching this season but it is rare when I spot some much bad acting in one show. It is easy watching though, background noise while I am doing something else.

One good thing I noticed and that matters tome is some situations that hit me hard, concerning the dismissal of agency of people considered incapable of making decisions, as if they are not worthy of living. Could be deeper but those discussions are important (not always ending up the way I would hope for)

Existential question......  if Med wasn't part of the whole "Chicago" franchise, would it still be on the air?

I would venture a guess at 'no', but that's just a personally biased opinion as well as observational.

I say this as someone who hasn't even watched an episode since Season 1, but every time I check in on opinions in episode threads, 95% of the content is of the dissatisfied variety, if not even a bit vitriolic.  So using that as a base guideline, I'm thinking most would have drop-punted this show if not for it being tied into Chi Fire & Chi PD.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36