Type keyword(s) to search

Season 16 (Timebomb, 2015): Just Blow Up Already

Yes to rewinds, just not the kind you were thinking:

Rylan Clark has told how former Big Brother housemates could make an appearance in the new series.

The Big Brother's Bit On The Side host, who helped select the new contestants, has dubbed them the "most varied collection of people in the shows history".

And he claimed the "Timebomb" theme could see former "iconic" housemates return to the show several days at a time.

He told TV Biz: "I know who's going in, I was in the room when they were selected. This year, more than ever, we've got a real mix of people. This is the widest net that we've ever cast. We've got young, middle aged and older - and although we've got the typical stereotypes, they don't fit the bracket they're in. So, for example, a young, pretty girl might not be what she seems.

"You might have seen a couple of the contestants if you really dug for them. But even if they've been in the papers or on a show before, we select them because they're going to be brilliant housemates.

"Some of these people are so far one way and then some are so far the other way that there'll be no common ground. For this series, they're flipping time on its head so they're really going to crack up. Big Brother could make 4am the new 3pm.

"It's a little bit Truman Show - we'll control the pattern of life, we can also visit the past so they might wake up and it be Big Brother 2007 or we go back two years and I'm suddenly a housemate again for a few days.

"Nike Grahame, Makosi... what's to say they never actually left... and could be there. It's creepy."

The Daily Star is reporting the cast will be officially revealed before the launch "for the first time ever" on Sunday UK time. (This despite the BB11 cast being revealed beforehand as part of its twist.)

I, like the British public apparently, hated Simon instantly. "Showbiz!!" Ugh. However, I think it is too harsh to boot someone on day 1. What is the point of that? It might have been really funny to see how bad he annoys the other houseguests. Oh well...

I, like the British public apparently, hated Simon instantly. "Showbiz!!" Ugh. However, I think it is too harsh to boot someone on day 1. What is the point of that? It might have been really funny to see how bad he annoys the other houseguests. Oh well...

I agree with your point....but, I have to admit that I was so annoyed by Simon and his routine, I was happy to see him evicted.  After the second Jerry Lewis-voiced "Showbizzz," I wanted him gone. Never did I think that wish would come true on the first night. I will say, I would have been really bummed if Pie Face, Kieran, or eye-candy Cristian got the boot on the first night. 

Sarah tells Harriett, "You have all of the qualities of a commoner" and then says she hates commoners. She hates people who watch TV. She hates immigrants who collect benefits. Yet, she isn't judgy enough to be racist, as she declared that she "hates racism."  (??)

Lol'd when Marcus announced, "I-LEEN is trying NOT to get LIPSTICK on her BISCUIT."

I want Jade's "ouija board ruined my childhood" story.

I wonder how the voting public will react to Aaron's continued moodiness and insecurities. 

The whole Sarah and Danny thing is tedious. Sarah -- he's just not that into you. 

Jade has become a black widow...Nick needs to follow through on his statements about putting a stop to the cuddles.  And Cristian needs to keep his distance (I like Cristian and see him more as an introvert, instead of how some others see him as "stuck up"). 

Joel has a fun sense of humor - his pretend game shows, pretend fashion show...he's a little goofy without having to be loud about it. 

It bums me out that the Eileen's age is tossed about it a negative way. And I'm younger than she is, and I need 8 hours of sleep a night, so I guess I'm tagged as 'old'! 

I am so far behind on this show it is not even funny. Once I get my new home computer, it's Marathon Time!

(On the other hand, I DO still get to enjoy James Jordan's snarky tweets about the show, so there's that!)

This latest twist is TERRIBLE. I mean, that should probably be obvious already, but let me point this out: with Aaron's ejection not taking the place of one of this week's evictions, we'll be down seven people in two weeks, only one of whom was actually nominated.

• Love 1
(edited)

Annoying personalities on Big Brother? Never! :P

I'm trying to look at it from production's perspective. Eliminate the people who don't get nominated because clearly they bring less conflict. Bring in some sexy ringers who are programmed to do nothing but cause conflict, hopefully with their time watching the series so far as ammo. More conflict, better ratings. Sure, some fans who still for whatever reason pay to vote might be outraged, but since I'm a producer in this scenario, I just call that "buzz" and make sure they know which hashtags to use.

And I really do think they could have shown us some of what happened with Aaron in slow motion. I mean, clearly it was allowed to go on long enough to get some "full frontal nudity" in the episode warning (read: teaser), so why not make that naughty helicopter attack last even longer? Timebomb something something!

Edited by Liqidclark

Annoying personalities on Big Brother? Never! :P

I'm trying to look at it from production's perspective. Eliminate the people who don't get nominated because clearly they bring less conflict. Bring in some sexy ringers who are programmed to do nothing but cause conflict, hopefully with their time watching the series so far as ammo. More conflict, better ratings. Sure, some fans who still for whatever reason pay to vote might be outraged, but since I'm a producer in this scenario, I just call that "buzz" and make sure they know which hashtags to use.

This is exactly why the US version (which followed the UK format during its first series) changed its own format so drastically beginning with the second series. The viewers kept voting off the most annoying housemates (i.e., the ones who generated the most conflict), and what was left was considered a snoozefest. Consequently, TPTB changed it so the housemates did both the nominating and the evicting, and then they started going out of their way to find the most annoying, controversial, and conflict-prone people they could find to be housemates (Evil Dick, anyone?) and even started bringing in "twists" that had the pointed effect of keeping said annoying housemates in the house as long as possible to create "buzz," as you put it.

It's also why I pretend that the US version no longer exists.

• Love 1
(edited)

Sending Simon back in is a travesty. I couldn't be happier when he was ousted on Launch Night. I couldn't handle any more of his "Showbizzz!" outbursts. I want him to be the first evicted of the new bunch.

My favorite housemate so far is Nick. I love toffs. Awkward weirdos have a great place in my heart.

Edited by Lived In Inch
  • Love 2

Ugh, greasy Showbiz and his constant mugging and hollering for the camera. I enjoyed watching Jack as Showbiz re-entered the house...he was so dejected, shaking his head, giving a somewhat polite "Y'aarite?" Eileen was the opposite, being a fangirl/personal space invader.

Another one in a frigging Halloween costume, and then the other is an oh-so-chipper girl who's high on life.

On BOTS, Rylan seemed to be kind of bummed about the 4 in/4 out. He's no fan of Showbiz.

I was really enjoying Kieran being the wise old owl of the house, and I was entertained by Harriett's temper.  

It's also why I pretend that the US version no longer exists.

Yep, I hate-watch the US version. The unbearable Chen-bot, a house full of fame-thirsty social misfits, nonstop talk about backstabbing and nominations, Wipeout-style physical challenges, Slop.....yet, I watch every episode. 

I think that was too much that happened all at once. Was the audience bored with this cast already? I think many of the contestants had talked up a big game and not enough drama was happening. I thought the season was going ok though. The problem for me with the swapping out 4 are that it wasn't those 4 that I wanted to leave. Ideally, I wanted Chloe, Harriet, and twins gone with Kieran and Sarah staying. If I could choose from the safe group, I would have wanted Eileen gone. Didn't need to be 4 since Aaron left. 

Ugh and I can't forget the worst part, showwwwbizzzzz. He said it a billion times when he came back. Please, he needs to be next one gone.

I'm loving Aisleyne, again (though to be fair it's easy to outshine this particular cast), but what on Earth happened to her voice? She didn't sound nearly as Kathleen Turner-y last time she was in the house.

It's amazing, though, what the reaction of people was to that vote.  Most of the British viewers were livid on Twitter that Marc got voted out over Jack.  The prediction is that the rest of the series will be a major snoozefest now that all the housemates with "personality" are gone.  It's the reason that the US version abandoned the idea of a public vote years ago and changed the format so that only the housemates vote to evict.  Of course, that led to other problems down the road.

Part of the problem is that, for the last couple of years, the producers have been content to pin all their hopes on a couple of housemates (Heidi/Spencer/Rylan, Gina/Dexter, Carol/Lauren, Jim/Luisa/Linda/Lee, Helspawn, Gary, Perez/both Katies, Marc/Simon) and do whatever they need to do to rig it so they'll be safe, meaning everyone else ends up comically underdeveloped and they struggle to fill time when somebody gets a shock eviction. And this year especially, the quad eviction and the constant onslaught of former housemates returning means the cast are supporting characters in their own season.

On the plus side, at least some of the designated favourites are female, so it's still better than BB Australia.

On the plus side, at least some of the designated favourites are female, so it's still better than BB Australia.

Except that that version does a far better job of mindfucking the housemates, in my view.

Only recently, really - ever since BBUK moved to Channel 5 in 2011, they haven't really sold their twists with any conviction. Part of it is that the most of the twists are the same every season - face to face nominations, a hidden room with a spy screen, something to fuck with the prize money, a "guess what Twitter is saying about you" task - and all the shock value is gone, but part of it is that the twists seem to be designed to reinforce the status quo rather than shaking things up (seriously, face to face nominations has NEVER been interesting).

Only recently, really - ever since BBUK moved to Channel 5 in 2011, they haven't really sold their twists with any conviction. Part of it is that the most of the twists are the same every season - face to face nominations, a hidden room with a spy screen, something to fuck with the prize money, a "guess what Twitter is saying about you" task - and all the shock value is gone, but part of it is that the twists seem to be designed to reinforce the status quo rather than shaking things up (seriously, face to face nominations has NEVER been interesting).

At least that doesn't drag out the way the nominations do on BB Australia.  In the UK, the noms are made, explained, and done.  In Australia, Big Brother insists on arguing with the individual about noms for a good five to ten minutes, and it's boring as hell to watch.

I've watched my first episode ever of big brother UK... I have to admit it's much better than the american version I've been watching the last 10 years or longer. I watched AU bb 2014 and loved it, it's amazing how different uk and au are from us. I may ditch the us bb and start youtubing other countries :)

• Love 1

If watching BBUK has taught me anything (and it hasn't), Black Lace were huge in the UK for some inexplicable reason.

Also, I've finally found something I agree with moralising twit Joel on: Pizza is the miracle food.

I found it ironic that pizza seems to be Joel's downfall no matter what.

With that, Jack's torture session in the fake spray tanning booth (and finding himself locked out of the bathroom when he was finally allowed to take a shower), and the Conga marathon, I take back what I said about BB UK being light on the mindfuckery with the housemates.  All three of those torments were worthy of the Australian one (but BB UK will never match the deviousness that was Surly in Australia!).

Actually, Surly was inspired by a BBUK twist, the Tree of Temptation. I don't know whether I'd say it's worth watching either CBB7 or BB11 (both from 2010, mediocre aside from the presences of Stephanie Beacham and Ivana Trump in CBB7 and Corin and Ben in BB11), but most of BBAU's mindfuckery comes from BBUK in one form or another.

• Love 1
(edited)

And BBUK kicked it up a notch tonight as well (I'm watching it on YouTube right now).  I think what Jack got put through has got to be the most extreme form of prolonged torture I've ever seen any housemate go through on any version of BB.

And if Stephanie Beacham and Ivana Trump were on CBB7?  I've GOT to see that.  I saw Stephanie on Strictly Come Dancing a few years ago, and she set the bar for snarking on her fellow celebrity contestants.

Edited by legaleagle53

CBB7 has an abnormally legitimately-famous cast, actually - aside from Stephanie Beacham and Ivana Trump, there's Vinnie Jones, Heidi Fleiss, Stephen Baldwin, Sisqo, Katie Price's then husband, and the man she made her sextape with, and Boy George got cut at the last minute because it would violate his probation - but that also works to its detriment because very few of them want to do anything to ruin their images. It was the first season made after Channel Four said they were cancelling the show, and it's like they threw everything they could at it to try and convince the other channels BB still had life in it.

They were doing it well before this - CBB6 has Coolio and LaToya Jackson, CBB5 has her brother Jermaine, CBB4 has Dennis Rodman, and CBB3 has Lizard Queen Jackie Stallone. (Seriously, everybody needs to watch the Jackie Stallone episodes. She's only in there for five days/six episodes, along with Sylvester's ex-wife Brigitte Nielsen, but it might be the best week in the show's history.)