Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Rock Bottom

SEASON FINALE!

After a Native American is discovered dead under a bridge, Amy's new boyfriend wants to be part of the investigation. Backstrom has to make a tough decision after he believes that his father knows about a meth dealer's activities.
Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
When a Native American is found dead under a bridge on the Wabacooche Indian reservation, Amy’s new boyfriend and Indian Reserve Police Captain, Jesse Rocha, wants in on the case. Backstrom then learns that Indian meth-king Norwest, of Cooch County, is a suspect in the case, and he is convinced his father, Cooch County Sheriff Blue Backstrom, knows about Norwest’s drug dealings, leaving Backstrom to make a difficult decision. Meanwhile, in order to keep his job with the S.C.U., Backstrom must impress Dr. Deb.
  • Love 1
(edited)

I hope this series gets renewed, but if it doesn't that was a pretty good finale. 

Not everything was resolved which I'm ok with -- will Blue be convicted, will Capt. Rocca pull through, will Backstrom keep his job ?

Backstrom finally faces up to his problems, which he has a lot of.  I'm glad Dr. Deb was at the AA meeting so he could figure out if Backstrom was full of shit or not, because I'm thinking that Dr. Deb will pull his recommendation to suspend Backstrom.

Rainn Wilson did a great job with some of those emotional scenes -- like when he confronted Blue for lying that his mother died in childbirth, at the lake or at the AA meeting.

I loved that look on Valentine's face after he gave the bowl to Backstrom -- despite their differences he really does care about his big brother Backstrom.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

Damn. It got real dusty up in the house during the AA meeting.

I have fallen for this show, so that may be a bad omen, but I'm hopeful anyway.

I didn't notice before--the boy pulling the box kites spelling Backstrom's name.   The trashing scene from last week aches a bit more.

Everett may be a dance-all-over-the-line cop, but damn! Blue?  I got scared for Valentine's mom and grandma. And Gregory too, but he is scrappy!   *g*  Just because Blue went after a lawbreaker this time doesn't mean anyone is safe. Look at that attorney! Twisting someone's ear so hard you bleed like someone took a knife to you? How isn't that actionable?

Still, Valentine and that rifle? Just...no. I understand his feelings, but no.  I thought Backstrom was hesitant because the jugs could have been flammable.

I now want the Backstrom minivan! It was boxy and sort of atrociously adorable. I think it was the burnt orange-y color that put the whole thing over the top and back to adorable. The whole first gas station stop was wonderful and very family bicker-y. I may watch it again just to keep track of who the blue slushie ended up with.  Also, the lake scenes were lovely and just right. It was nice that Everett released the bowl into the serene waters of the lake after angrily throwing it away in hurt and temper just a  few episodes earlier. I was glad Gregory saved that bowl too.

The team was their usual amazing selves. Paquet not incriminating Blue was delightful, especially the look of exasperation and whatever. It was nice to see the chief and Doctor Deb is great. Poor Neidermayer having to sit with a flayed/ opened corpse alone, at night, in a toxic mine site.

Please let Neidermayer have tested the knife and it is linked to Rocha and his CI. I wonder why Backstrom didn't sneak into Blue's house and check on boots sooner? Not to throw shade; Blue is a scary-ass man with a badge. He has cultivated a persona as much as Noreaster(?).  Also, if Noresster had a bragged about M.O., couldn't that be copycatted and Noreaster's death be conveniently swept under the rug? If Everett hadn't called the state cops?

I did hope for a bigger hero walk for the squad. We got it close and in sections- which I appreciated, but greedy me, I wanted a bigger inclusive one as well.

Is Lou going to move her mom out of Blue's jurisdiction, just to be safe?

I know; my musings may be moot, but I came to care for these characters.

• Love 1

I really liked the scene with Backstrom and Val letting Blue know how much he reallys sucks.  Telling Blue he's not the honorable guy he wants to believe he is - of course Blue walks away - but it was a solid bonding moment with Backstrom and Val.  I think Backstrom was afraid for Val to reveal because he was scared Blue would release the venom on Val.

I Love all the characters, and I'm super glad it made it through a complete season.  I really hope it comes back - tweak the weekly mysteries a little bit but not the characters.

• Love 2

Even though there wasn't much mystery to who the killer was, I liked this episode. Despite the fact that I hope that this isn't the end of the series, it feels like the series could end here as that last scene was pretty much perfect. I just feel that there's so many stories left to tell and so much development left for all of the characters  and I don't dislike any of the main characters on this show. Which is a rarity on shows these days.

I assume if the show goes to season two we'll be dealing with the  fallout from the events of this case which could be very interesting. Final judgment, good show which could become great if given the time to develop.

• Love 2

I also hope this gets renewed.  After watching the first episode I didn't think I was going to like it, but have found myself making sure to watch every episode. Like another poster said above, I really care about these characters.

• Love 3
(edited)

I also hope this gets renewed.  After watching the first episode I didn't think I was going to like it, but have found myself making sure to watch every episode. Like another poster said above, I really care about these characters.

This pretty much sums up how I felt about this show as well.  I almost didn't continue to watch because I couldn't stand Backstrom, but because I liked all the other main characters, I stuck with it, and actually enjoyed it quite a bit.  It took me a while to warm up to Backstrom though, and I can't say I ever grew to particularly like him, but he became tolerable, or perhaps sympathetic is a better word. 

Anyhow, it if gets renewed, I'll be back. 

Edited by Fable
  • Love 2