Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Book Of Shadows

Episode Synopsis:

In the wake of the most recent attack against her, Mary seeks answers to who may be responsible. To that end – and despite Tituba’s warnings - Mary begins to tutor Anne Hale in the ways of witchcraft, but her work may not culminate exactly as planned. Upon his return to Salem, Cotton meets Dr. Wainwright and despite their obvious initial differences of opinions, each discovers the other may have something to offer in their mutual task. John Alden continues to make his presence felt in Salem, and his actions have repercussions for him, and for others, in ways both political and physical. Mercy moves forward in her plans of revenge against Mary even as one of her acolytes has second thoughts about the part she’s playing in the Witch’s plan. Meanwhile, Mary and Wainwright continue to explore their mutual interests, and Mary and Tituba search for a killer.

Aw, the poor kitten! At least Anne is finally interesting. I love that Mary tricked her with the mirrored Book of Shadows, I totally saw that coming.

Whoo, this show is getting graphic with the sex. My jaw dropped when Mary stuck the doctors fingers in her mouth after where they'd been. And then there was the seduction of Anne and also letting the doctor tie her up while he goes down on her. Mary is really having a lot of fun this season.

Mercy continues her vendetta against Mary, yawn. I care about as much as Mary does.

• Love 2

My EW! Moment this week was Tituba eating that dead guys eyes!

Agree about all the sexy times going on in this show. I like Mary and the doctor, they're both freaky.

I wish someone would put Mercy out of her misery. It's painful to hear her talk and look at her too. And what is she suppose to be doing to poor Isaac?

• Love 1

My EW! Moment this week was Tituba eating that dead guys eyes!

Me too. She cut the guy's eyes out and I was all, oh that wasn't so bad-- SLUUUURRRP! Ew!

I did notice that Tituba told Mary the seer's eyes were gone when she got there, which was interesting. Of course, Tituba always seems to be working some angle behind Mary's back.

• Love 2

The eye-eating was something, but I was a bit confused by it: Tituba didn't tell Mary she did that, but just claimed they are gone.  So, is she working against Mary on some levels?  I wonder why she did that.

Mary and Dr. Samuel are getting freaky already.  When he began tiring her up, I thought he was going to go full blown 50 Shades of Grey on her, which has been becoming popular lately on shows I would expect (oh, Vikings.)

Aww, poor Cotton really looked sad when Mary told him Alden was dead.  He really was bummed that he wouldn't get to see his new BFF again.  Of course, he does seem again, only for him to knock him out.  I hope we get more Cotton/Alden scenes again.

Mary is teaching Anne to be a witch.  Which includes drowning kittens, of course.  I do think Tituba could end up being proven right, and Anne could actually end up becoming a danger for Mary; maybe even more then Mercy.  Speaking of Mercy, quit harming poor Issac.  

Glad that it looks like Mary and The Countess will be meeting face-to-face next.  Really want to see Janet Montgomery and Lucy Lawless play off one another.

Glad that it looks like Mary and The Countess will be meeting face-to-face next.  Really want to see Janet Montgomery and Lucy Lawless play off one another.

Oh god, yes. I've been patient because I knew we need the slow burn but I'm absolutely DYING to see Mary and the Countess face off. Janet and Lucy are both very good actresses and they will be a thing of beauty to watch together.

• Love 2

I always feel vaguely guilty after watching an episode of this show. It's so amazingly trashy. And yet it always manages at least one really good sequence per episode - this time around was poor Anne down the well.

They're really wasting Lucy Lawless, but at least it looks like she'll be back into play next episode.

I really wish the show would clarify the difference between a cradle-witch (Anne) and a witch like Mary (made). Beyond the obvious, of course. Mary it would seem has sold her soul, while Anne is determined to remain good and innocent (though she lost a little of that in this episode with the poor drowned kitten). I can't imagine that Anne is "damned" or anything like that when she's had no say whatsoever over inheriting her powers...

Basically what I'm asking for is a little bit more world-building in regards to the show's mythology. I'm not even sure who's in charge any more. With the elderly witches dead, who exactly is calling the shots here?

I actually prefer Mary with the kinky doctor rather than John Alden. 

• Love 1

Stuart Townsend is the perfect counter to Mary.  She has her magic and he has his science.  They are both are freaky in the sack.... so should go together well.

• Love 1

After too many months, Season 2 has finally arrived on Netflix so please pardon my lateness to the party.

The writer of this episode is a reader of H.P. Lovecraft.   Anne's familiar, "Brown Jenkin," is named for an evil rat-like familiar called  Brown Jenkin in Lovecraft's short story, "Dreams in the Witch House."

Netflix is awesome isn't it? I thought season 1 was kinda slow and boring but I needed something to watch so I gave the show another chance and season 2 is so much better. I always liked the Anne character and I love a good downward spiral so making Anne a supposedly powerful witch is all kinds of fun for me.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1