Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Secret Agent Man

Felix convinces Oscar to appear on a sports television show against Teddy’s advice to stick with radio.

Well, it wasn't impressive, but it was predictable.

I found Oscar's freezing up to be old hat, especially in this time of selfies and Instagram and footage taken on phones. Now, if Oscar had been more obnoxious, feeling he needed to be more outsized on TV, that would have been interesting and potentially funny. Realizing he needed to censor himself on TV, while still being obnoxious could have led to funnier verbal misfires. But this is all Monday morning arm-chair quarterbacking. 

As a result, not only do Rich Eisen and Kenny Smith look petty, but also correct that Oscar shouldn't be considered knowledgeable or mentally competent. At least to the folks watching, who don't know or listen to Oscar regularly.

I did like the 'cleared my sinuses' bit, as Thomas Lennon can sell garlic to vampires.

I like the Wendell Pierce got more to do this time out. He and Yvette Nicole Brown seem to be underused, even in episodes that use them. The only exception, in my mind was "The Blind Leading The Blind Date" , when Felix went through a bunch of stuff to find Dani a date.

The parts are there, I just don't know why I'm not liking the show as much as I think I should.

The parts are there, I just don't know why I'm not liking the show as much as I think I should.

That's the way I feel too.  I think I like the actors,  and acting,  I don't even have that much of a problem with Matthew Perry as Oscar.  I think it's the writing of the episodes that isn't as good as I expected.  Every episode including this one doesn't quite make sense or flow the way it should. 

• Love 1

Against my better judgment, I'm starting to like this iteration of "The Odd Couple." While I'm seeing Chandler less and less, I'm still not a fan of Matthew Perry's take on Oscar. Thomas Lennon is OK as Felix, but the real star that shines is Lindsay Sloane. She was wonderful in "Grosse Pointe," a late, lamented teen soap spoof that aired on the WB, so I hope she gets something better than this.

The trouble with Emily's crush on Felix is that the end-game in the TV show was Felix reuniting with his wife. I never saw the play or the movie so I don't know if that was the end-game there. In the previous show, Felix's girlfriends eventually disappeared.

The trouble with Emily's crush on Felix is that the end-game in the TV show was Felix reuniting with his wife. I never saw the play or the movie so I don't know if that was the end-game there. In the previous show, Felix's girlfriends eventually disappeared.

Maybe they're planning to take a different route? Or that eventually they'll date and realize they're best as good friends? 

I loved when he came out in his mascot Eagles head. He looks like he's having a blast with Felix's lameness .

Not a lot about this show makes me laugh, but his sharp arm movements, doing a cheer while wearing that crazy mascot head, did crack me up. 

I like everything and everyone on this show.  Especially YNB and Lindsey.  But when they show the close ups of Matthew/Oscar's pinched face when he is disgusted with Felix for whatever reason, I could do without that.