Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E17: Undisclosed Recipients

Lucindabelle, I agree that using work email for personal stuff is a really, really, bad idea, and kudos to you for not doing it!  But many people do things that are a bad idea.  So while I may think, "wow, that was a stupid thing to do," it's still completely realistic to me that people - even highly educated professional people - still do it.

I mean, I've done it.  (Not emailed people about sex, because weird.  But I wouldn't text about sex, either, and people do.)  But I've definitely snarked on my boss or other coworkers in email, even knowing that it's indeed possible for my boss or IT to see it, since we sign a release at my company saying that we understand our email is company property, blah, blah.  And even without that, nothing stops the person you send it to from forwarding to someone else, and I know several people who have accidentally sent an email about a person to that same person.  It's a risk you take, and sometimes I've sent something and then thought, "hm, probably shouldn't have put that in writing."

So while I don't defend it as smart or "good" behavior, too many real life people have been caught up in similar circumstances for me to believe that these lawyers are too smart to write that stuff in emails.  People can be incredibly naive about technology.

Edited to add that Alicia thought she was using her personal account, presumably because she had multiple accounts coming to the same email client.  She just got them confused.  But I agree that kind of the opposite of the Hillary thing, who was using her personal account for work because she supposedly didn't realize you can have limitless accounts set up on your phone.  So it's not a perfect comparison, but still similar in that an inability to navigate the technology is the root problem.

• Love 2

Haha yeah I've done that thing where I've sent an email about someone to someone, and been on the receiving end as well. THAT was awkward, was from a playwright who boasted she'd used the "dead mommy card"-- I had written her three zillion recommendations and when I needed help from her she was all lalalalala. 

I of course told her don't think you meant to send this to me but have never every felt the same about her and have not a good word to say about the little operator.

So yeah you're right people do.

Lawyers, though? Seriously, lawyers? if anybody's going to be paranoid I'd think it would be them.

I've done the email sex thing but not on company email....

but yeah, I guess I can get thinking you're on your personal account-- I didn't know you could configure gmail through outlook but on apple mail you can def lose track of which account you're in.

Oh and once got something-- get this from someone at a PR firm-- to say "proof that Lucindabelle is lame!"

first I said don't think you meant to send this to me then emailed his boss. Shocked. firm I'd used many times (I'm a writer, have often covered their stuff). It was sort of fun to watch them grovel and say it's not how he felt-- and I did forgive...

I haven't had any problem with emails accidentally sent to or from me (it has happened, but there wasn't anything bad in the email), but I was once included on a reply and the original email included me being blamed for something that was not my fault.  A mistake was made by A, she sent an email to B only.  In her email she threw me under the bus and blamed me for everything.  B replied to both A and me, so I saw what she had written.  I sent A an invoice that specifically mentioned fixing the mistake and she paid it without question, so she knew it was her fault.  

If you have something to say that someone else should not see, never, ever, put it in an email.  

Fwiw, publishing emails is also a violation of copyright. You don't have the right to reproduce an email you receive or to publish it anymore than you do a letter. You own the physical copy, but NOT the right to publish it. What the hackers did was totally breaking the law. But, since nobody could trace hwo they were, it's not like it was going to be easy to prosecute.

Kalinda was able to trace the ransomware guy to some place in Russia, she should have no problem figuring out who the hackers are.  

Nice to see Julius Cain back. Closing the NY office. But will he now disappear again? And where did Robyn, Clarke Hayden(I know he was doing Broadway,but still), and Dean Levine-Wilkins go to? They did the big "Taye Diggs is joining TGW!" play, and then poof he is gone after 3 episodes? I thought he was a Will replacement maybe. I'd rather have Julius Cain full time but he was ok.

Did the Nelson Dubeck ballot stuffing story line go away? You might think that they would watch to make sure it didn't happen again for Alicia's votes.

Eli had to straighten out Alicia on her SA speak. When James Castro, Lemond Bishop(turning over a new leaf), Guy "Lou Grant" Redmayne and even later Eli all asked for political favors and Alicia at first turned them down,then later made them think she was considering their proposals it was cute.
But both Prady and Finn turned her down for being her number 2

Edited to add that Alicia thought she was using her personal account, presumably because she had multiple accounts coming to the same email client.  She just got them confused.  

If she got the account confused, why didn't the email show up in the first batch of 4 months worth of emails?

But I agree that kind of the opposite of the Hillary thing, who was using her personal account for work because she supposedly didn't realize you can have limitless accounts set up on your phone.  So it's not a perfect comparison, but still similar in that an inability to navigate the technology is the root problem.

Hillary set up a Clinton business account so she could control the server. She's as naive as Alicia is. Alicia is, in large part, based on Hillary.

So are we supposed to feel good about the law being tossed out the window because of blackmail from a bunch of lawless hackers acting under the guise of some self-serving "call-to-arms"?  Although it seems like once they went back to the copyright infringement line of attack, they seemed to forget that the movie guy had "unclean hands" because his PR firm was the one that uploaded the file to the site, so I guess we shouldn't feel that badly for the movie guy and the firm?

• Love 1