Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files Revival: The Truth is in Here

It's rather sad that so many people seem to be more excited about "Gillovny" than the revival itself. I mean, that speaks volumes...

I'm not going to read any more reviews. Nothing that I've read has surprised me, to be honest. We'll see, I guess.

It's rather sad that so many people seem to be more excited about "Gillovny" than the revival itself. I mean, that speaks volumes...

I'm not going to read any more reviews. Nothing that I've read has surprised me, to be honest. We'll see, I guess.

Yea it is. And to be honest, I'm not "Gillovny" myself at all. Not one dime or iota. I just find their interaction and stuff better than the show so far. And it does. 

I don't blame ya one bit. I don't really trust anything uber positive about it. And anything negative is stuff we're a bit familiar with. All we can do is watch, hope and pray.

For a bit of lightness... the skit! ;)

It's good to see some positive ones out there. 

That Den of Geek one didn't seem all that positive to me, ratings wise especially.

Not Positive?

It sounds like it really shouldn’t work.

But it does.

This first episode expertly blends everything that made The X-Files what it was with a series of elements that bring it into today’s world.

And at the heart of it, of course, are Mulder and Scully. Older but not necessarily wiser, their dynamic is, like the episode itself, the same and yet different. In some ways, their interactions are the same as ever, and one or two conversations could even be taken verbatim from a number of other episodes over the years. But there is a lived-in, and a rather melancholic, quality to their relationship that is a reflection of all the years that have gone by.

Like the original pilot, this episode sets up the basics of the show in a compelling and effective way.

The X-Files is back, and that is a very, very good thing.

I've read more positive reviews than negative.

I thought the vibe between Mulder & Scully in the clip shown on Jimmy Kimmel worked well for a couple that's separated but still loves each other, but I still have so very little faith their relationship will make sense to me in this revival.  I know it's going to deal with storylines I either don't care about or actively hate (ahem, William), but if the characters and their relationship make sense, I can just enjoy it for what it is.  I'm quite nervous that will not be the case.

Alas, just as the dud that was IWTB was worth it for the delightful press junket, if we get more joint appearances promoting this revival I will again have that to fall back on -- and even better.  Because now that they've not only made peace but really get along, they are just a joy to watch. 

Man, if someone had described to my 1997/1998 self the DD of the past several years, I'd have never believed it.  I still remember the minor mind blow of sitting in the audience at WonderCon - what I consider the beginning of David v2.0 - and occasionally muttering to each other, "Who is this man?"  Even then, I wouldn't have believed what was to come.

Edited by Bastet

I thought the vibe between Mulder & Scully in the clip shown on Jimmy Kimmel worked well for a couple that's separated but still loves each other, but I still have so very little faith their relationship will make sense to me in this revival.  I know it's going to deal with storylines I either don't care about or actively hate (ahem, William), but if the characters and their relationship make sense, I can just enjoy it for what it is.  I'm quite nervous that will not be the case.

Alas, just as the dud that was IWTB was worth it for the delightful press junket, if we get more joint appearances promoting this revival I will again have that to fall back on -- and even better.  Because now that they've not only made peace but really get along, they are just a joy to watch. 

Man, if someone had described to my 1997/1998 self the DD of the past several years, I'd have never believed it.  I still remember the minor mind blow of sitting in the audience at WonderCon - what I consider the beginning of David v2.0 - and occasionally muttering to each other, "Who is this man?"  Even then, I wouldn't have believed what was to come.

Good point. Kind of got that too. But I'm not really looking forward to it, maybe a little... but hardly that.

Just came across this one...

Source: extratv.com

All I have to say for that one is... UGH. -_-

So they possibly got married and divorced off screen. Screw this show. I do not like this one bit. I don't like being jerked around.

Sorry about that guys. I'm just tired of this crap. I'll watch, but as far as I'm concerned it's not canon.

There's no joy for me there. Yes there was with the Jimmy Kimmel skit and interview, but that's what separates it for me. There was no pressure watching it. With the show... with all of the split up crap and treating fans like they're unable to think for themselves... I just lost the enthusiasm. I'm looking forward to it, but not that much. Gillian even said it was a 'long road' for M & S, and if that is the case... then I just don't really want to be a part of it. I'm tired of the stick and carrot stuff. 

IWTB wasn't a dud to me. I like and still like it a hell of a lot better than what's come out so far in regards to revival footage. I haven't had an emotional reaction to any of it really. I had more of a reaction to the Kimmel skit to be honest. Got butterflies in my stomach. Same goes with the interview.

Exactly. I'm so proud of the both of them. They've come a long way. 

That would be totally outlandish, but this is coming from someone who watches the show despite not being a fan of science fiction, so that's my response to a lot of things he comes up with.  A world that always has Scully in it sounds good in theory, but as Fellig showed us, it sucks for the person who is immortal, so, no, that's not what I want for her.  But there's a pretty good list of things that would irritate me more, so I guess my reaction is a solid "Whatever."  (Maybe with a "Sure. Fine." in front of it.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

That would be totally outlandish, but this is coming from someone who watches the show despite not being a fan of science fiction, so that's my response to a lot of things he comes up with.  A world that always has Scully in sounds good in theory, but as Fellig showed us, it sucks for the person who is immortal, so, no, that's not what I want for her.  But there's a pretty good list of things that would irritate me more, so I guess my reaction is a solid "Whatever."  (Maybe with a "Sure. Fine." in front of it.)

That's kind of me too for what it's worth.

IGN put out a review for the first episode... here it is.

And one of the bits in it I particularly agree with:

The usual X-Files dynamic, sure, though somehow you want more from these two now. And you want it to happen faster.

Bingo sir. You've hit the nail on the head.

Another new interview... this one via Good Morning LA.

Basically M & S have been reduced to friends with benefits. /facepalm

Pathetic.

Two thoughts on that Good Morning, LA interview with Gillian:

1. Those morning personalities are the drippiest people I've ever seen. Do people actually watch them in the morning without being bored to death?

2. I think GA (and CC) is exactly right in terms of where Mulder and Scully might plausibly be at this point in their lives, particularly if, as it seems to have happened, the alien invasion due in 2012 never happened. Just thinking about the fallout of living their lives as though that were a possibility--to the point of putting their kid up for adoption---and then it never happened?  How could that not just be a huge bomb in their lives, the fallout being that both would increasingly resent each other for that needless move. It isn't hard for me to see that as a fairly obvious dividing line and when the date came/went Scully could probably see that continuing with Mulder would be dangerous to her own self will.

Beyond that, I have to admit, that even during the course of the show when their couple-dom seemed obvious, I never enjoyed any of those S8 scenes that hinted at domesticity.  I have fears that if we see a "happily ever after" Mulder and Scully they will just be extensions of that horrible dialogue in Empedocles or the "I am physically shaking" email. 

Two thoughts on that Good Morning, LA interview with Gillian:

1. Those morning personalities are the drippiest people I've ever seen. Do people actually watch them in the morning without being bored to death?

2. I think GA (and CC) is exactly right in terms of where Mulder and Scully might plausibly be at this point in their lives, particularly if, as it seems to have happened, the alien invasion due in 2012 never happened. Just thinking about the fallout of living their lives as though that were a possibility--to the point of putting their kid up for adoption---and then it never happened?  How could that not just be a huge bomb in their lives, the fallout being that both would increasingly resent each other for that needless move. It isn't hard for me to see that as a fairly obvious dividing line and when the date came/went Scully could probably see that continuing with Mulder would be dangerous to her own self will.

Beyond that, I have to admit, that even during the course of the show when their couple-dom seemed obvious, I never enjoyed any of those S8 scenes that hinted at domesticity.  I have fears that if we see a "happily ever after" Mulder and Scully they will just be extensions of that horrible dialogue in Empedocles or the "I am physically shaking" email. 

Well to each their own.

The way that they've treated fans is despicable. So absolutely NO love lost there. They might be right... but they'd be dead right. I'd probably give a crap about these eps if they didn't treat fans like they weren't able to think for themselves. That's one big, giant no-no. It puts me off.

I liked them, minus 'Dearest Dana'. That can go away.

Frankly I consider this to be a failure.

Bones has shown that people can be in a mature relationship and not be boring. To be honest, the clips I've seen so far have been just that. Boring. I find 'platonic' stuff to be a waste of time now. We've been here before. And if this is the road that they want to take... fine, I just don't have that much interest in it anymore. 

Well to each their own.

The way that they've treated fans is despicable. So absolutely NO love lost there. They might be right... but they'd be dead right. I'd probably give a crap about these eps if they didn't treat fans like they weren't able to think for themselves. That's one big, giant no-no. It puts me off.

I liked them, minus 'Dearest Dana'. That can go away.

Frankly I consider this to be a failure.

Bones has shown that people can be in a mature relationship and not be boring. To be honest, the clips I've seen so far have been just that. Boring. I find 'platonic' stuff to be a waste of time now. We've been here before. And if this is the road that they want to take... fine, I just don't have that much interest in it anymore. 

Question: I would consider myself a long time fan from the original run....but I don't feel insulted as fan.  What event are you speaking of that constituted treating the fans despicably?  

I also would shudder to compare The X-Files to Bones.  Bones is a horrible show in almost every way.  I actually can't think of a way that show isn't horrible except that they had Stephen Fry on as a guest star for a bit and that classed up the joint.  Oh, and DD directed an episode that was competently done.  Other than that...painful show with terrible actors that I'm always amazed is still on the air.

Edited by baileythedog
  • Love 4

Question: I would consider myself a long time fan from the original run....but I don't feel insulted as fan.  What event are you speaking of that constituted treating the fans despicably?  

I also would shutter to compare The X-Files to Bones.  Bones is a horrible show in almost every way.  I actually can't think of a way that show isn't horrible except that they had Stephen Fry on as a guest star for a bit and that classed up the joint.  Oh, and DD directed an episode that was competently done.  Other than that...painful show with terrible actors that I'm always amazed is still on the air.

So would I. Since s3. That's why I'm off put by a lot of it. Fox put up a tweet earlier this year right after fans found out about the break up of a gif of crying Mulder. That's one example. Then CC's saying that he should wear a bullet proof vest to beware of any snipers. Then you have Kumail saying that shippers should 'accept' the break up. There's more out there if you care to look for it. It's not pretty.

Here's another example...

From the recent Good Day LA interview... she continues the party line of telling fans that they should accept it.

Guess we can agree to disagree there. At least they treat their fans with some decency. I can respect that.

Ha - Mulder is so typical Mulder in that clip.  He calls her, but won't provide her with any actual information, then is all, "I can't discuss this; gotta go."

I can't sit through the interview, though - those hosts are painful.

CC has a long history of dismissing fans' criticisms by saying he knows what's best for them, but it's his show and his characters so it's not really what he says but how he says it.  I haven't felt insulted, though.

I have zero trouble accepting the fact they're separated, as I have no trouble imagining it under the circumstances.  I just don't trust that CC opted to separate them based on some detailed analysis of the characters and the relationship - in which case I'd have faith in them/it being written in a way that makes sense - but instead simply because he wanted to be able to write the show old school rather than having to write them as a couple.  So I don't care that he broke them up, I care that he may not have put much thought into it and thus the characters, especially Scully, will come off poorly as a result.

I just want to get it over with at this point and see if I have reason to be nervous about his ability to present them in a way that feels right to me so I can just sit back and enjoy the MOTW episodes and muddle through the mytharc bookends.  Apparently there's a screening this weekend in L.A. that's sold out, but friends and I have tickets for a screening next Friday night.  So I'll be able to just enjoy football that Sunday without being a jumble of nervous anticipation.

Edited by Bastet

Ha - Mulder is so typical Mulder in that clip.  He calls her, but won't provide her with any actual information, then is all, "I can't discuss this; gotta go."

I can't sit through the interview, though - those hosts are painful.

CC has a long history of dismissing fans' criticisms by saying he knows what's best for them, but it's his show and his characters so it's not really what he says but how he says it.  I haven't felt insulted, though.

I have zero trouble accepting the fact they're separated, as I have no trouble imagining it under the circumstances.  I just don't trust that CC opted to separate them based on some detailed analysis of the characters and the relationship - in which case I'd have faith in them/it being written in a way that makes sense - but instead simply because he wanted to be able to write the show old school rather than having to write them as a couple.  So I don't care that he broke them up, I care that he may not have put much thought into it and thus the characters, especially Scully, will come off poorly as a result.

I just want to get it over with at this point and see if I have reason to be nervous about his ability to present them in a way that feels right to me so I can just sit back and enjoy the MOTW episodes and muddle through the mytharc bookends.  Apparently there's a screening this weekend in L.A. that's sold out, but friends and I have tickets for a screening next Friday night.  So I'll be able to just enjoy football that Sunday without being a jumble of nervous anticipation.

Fair point.

Guess I'm just tired of it. They may be his characters, but enough's enough with telling fans what's good for them, when they're perfectly capable of thinking for themselves. That'll only tick them off. CSI did it and I stopped watching for good (exception being the finale of it).

I do too, but I'd accept it if they didn't talk down to us. That was the last straw for me. Very good point on that. He pretty much said as much earlier last year. So that's a pretty big anvil there. I tend to view this break up as something to bring back the 'tension'. Nothing more. And it gets under my skin. I'm tired of shows resorting to this worn out trope time and time again.

Me too. 

So would I. Since s3. That's why I'm off put by a lot of it. Fox put up a tweet earlier this year right after fans found out about the break up of a gif of crying Mulder. That's one example. Then CC's saying that he should wear a bullet proof vest to beware of any snipers. Then you have Kumail saying that shippers should 'accept' the break up. There's more out there if you care to look for it. It's not pretty.

Here's another example...

From the recent Good Day LA interview... she continues the party line of telling fans that they should accept it.

Guess we can agree to disagree there. At least they treat their fans with some decency. I can respect that.

Okay, well at least I know what you're referring to.

None of these are things that I find disrespectful to fans. And definitely of all the things in the world that are not pretty, this ranks so low for me.  

The actors and creators are just talking about what the story is...and why it may be that way...Ultimately, the storyline belongs to CC, I'm happy to just be along for the ride.  And I trust both DD and GA to make sure this gets done right...and honestly. 

Okay, well at least I know what you're referring to.

None of these are things that I find disrespectful to fans. And definitely of all the things in the world that are not pretty, this ranks so low for me.  

The actors and creators are just talking about what the story is...and why it may be that way...Ultimately, the storyline belongs to CC, I'm happy to just be along for the ride.  And I trust both DD and GA to make sure this gets done right...and honestly. 

Fair point.

New article via the New York Post...

Source: nypost.com

A quote from it:

“The writers were smart to keep [the characters’] relationship fluctuating. But the foundation is that they care about each other so much. They’re the love of each other’s life.”

From Scully’s mouth, fans.

Too little, too late.

Disagree on that one (about the relationship fluctuation). Other shows have shown characters in stable relationships that still run into problems.

If Mulder is not a stable person at the time of this revival, then it's not a stable relationship right now. It's a permanent relationship, though (whatever the nature of it at any given time, they are forever tied to each other), and I have to imagine even CC assumes they'll get back together romantically at some point, but I can easily see them - her - needing a break from living together. I think Mulder was at a total loss after IWTB, suddenly free again but with no idea what to do with himself. And then when the alien invasion on which he'd staked just about everything didn't happen ... well, a downward spiral is pretty much inevitable for someone like him. And Scully wasn't particularly happy, so she's got her own issues.

Whether it will make sense on screen, I don't know; the idea works for me, I'm just wary of the execution. Because I don't think it's going to be a focus (which makes sense, as this isn't a relationship drama), and that's a pretty layered story to tell in the background. I think this is going to come down to whether DD and GA can convey everything that's between the lines, and they've got a good track record. So maybe I shouldn't be so nervous, but CC has an equally long history of disappointing me ...

Ack, I can't wait to get this over with because I'm getting emotionally invested again. I went through a long period of "Eh, whatever; it may be good, it may suck, but I don't really care," but now I'm back to "I love these characters, and felt good about them at the end of IWTB, so I'm going to actually get upset if I don't feel the same way at the end of episode six."

• Love 1

Fair point. I don't like how it's being executed so far I guess. So on that I agree with you on.

I'm not all that emotionally invested to be honest. I'm just drained.

But on a lighter note, David posted something cute on Twitter :).

Here's a link to it.

Source: His twitter page

I'm calling it... M & S are married.

I see the episode threads are up, but won't open until the day of airing.  Since the first episode is being screened this weekend and next Friday (and possibly other days; those are just in my area), should anyone who sees the episode early post in this general revival spoilers thread, or just wait until the 24th and post in the episode thread?

Edited by Bastet

I see the episode threads are up, but won't open until the day of airing.  Since the first episode is being screened this weekend and next Friday (and possibly other days; those are just in my area), should anyone who sees the episode early post in this general revival spoilers thread, or just wait until the 24th and post in the episode thread?

Yep. Posting in here is fine. Just keep it more general. Meaning no huge spoilers. Keep those to when the shows air in the show threads.

And on the 24th it's open season. I have them mentioned as Spoiler threads so that those who won't be able to watch them right away won't be spoiled.

I finally caught that 20-minute special FOX put out recently on TV this afternoon (so, 30 minutes with commercials) and liked it. 

The production values look pretty outstanding. 

Love seeing DD and GA do some of their own stunts.

And I really love seeing GA's non-Botoxed forehead wrinkle when she raises her eyebrows; I hate when actors try to convey emotion with faces that don't move. 

But did Scully call Mulder Fox in one scene (when they're talking about placing William for adoption)??

I finally caught that 20-minute special FOX put out recently on TV this afternoon (so, 30 minutes with commercials) and liked it. 

The production values look pretty outstanding. 

Love seeing DD and GA do some of their own stunts.

And I really love seeing GA's non-Botoxed forehead wrinkle when she raises her eyebrows; I hate when actors try to convey emotion with faces that don't move. 

But did Scully call Mulder Fox in one scene (when they're talking about placing William for adoption)??

Yea it does. Not really impressed by it though. :\

Same here lol.

Yes she did. In Home Again, I think. The conversation on the log.

I thought that was kind of endearing since I can think of only one time she's called him just "Fox" before -- in Eve?  

At any rate, what I got out of that scene on the log was that Scully is all out sorts because she appears to be sitting next to an urn, which I'll assume is Maggie Scully?  Is that "Home Again" or "My Struggle?"  I haven't read any extensive spoilers, so don't know what is what story wise. 

Edited by baileythedog

I thought that was kind of endearing since I can think of only one time she's called him just "Fox" before -- in Eve?  

At any rate, what I got out of that scene on the log was that Scully is all out sorts because she appears to be sitting next to an urn, which I'll assume is Maggie Scully?  Is that "Home Again" or "My Struggle?"  I haven't read any extensive spoilers, so don't know what is what story wise. 

I think so.

I'm not really a fan of that to be honest. It fit the scene sure, but it just doesn't jive with me.

Yep. It's in "Home Again". Ep 4.

I haven't watched any of the previews myself. Hopefully the shows dynamic hasn't changed to much. If so then I prefer to remember the show the way it was. I have all 9 seasons on dvd so I can relive any of it at any time. The only other concern I have is brining back characters that I presumed to be dead unless of course they go back in the timeline.

• Love 1
The only other concern I have is brining back characters that I presumed to be dead unless of course they go back in the timeline.

I'm not sure, because I was a little distracted during this portion of it, but I think that in that "X-Files Reopened" special I watched yesterday, CC said something about bringing CSM back and offering a plausible explanation for why he didn't actually die in the series finale.  Which, if accurate, really pisses me off because that's some Slasher Film Part IX level "he's not really dead" nonsense right there.  Dude was a post-fireball pile of bones!  CSM is a great villain and synonymous with the show, so I certainly understand wanting to bring him back.  But I wish they'd do it only in flashback or something.

The screening yesterday in Los Angeles was of the "Were-Monster" episode.  Did anyone here go?

• Love 1
Mulder was the believer, Scully was the skeptic, and their partnership worked well both in the story and on the screen. As the series processed and the two became closer, the fundamentals of the series changed and while Scully was mostly still skeptical, she had seen more than enough to (want to) believe. As this series picks up, Mulder & Scully are separated and basically back in their original starting positions. While the past is certainly a big part of what makes this iteration work, it is also the ability of the writers to basically start the relationship over and build it up again. While it may seem lazy to go back to this age old formula, it works, and when TV works, there’s no reason to complain.

No wonder GA was having trouble finding the Scully of today rather than playing the Scully of 20 years ago; they're writing her as the latter.  I understand the impulse, but this highlights my biggest fear for this whole thing -- that she comes off looking ridiculous, the stubborn skeptic after all she's seen.  I hope this kid who saw the episode is correct that it works.  (Which it would for me if she's coming from a place of "Mulder, not everything is paranormal; this could be a lot of things, and we need to find out what" rather than "Mulder, it couldn't possibly be your paranormal theory.")

I have a feeling my thoughts are going to generally mirror those of the EW review about the first episode, despite how good the trailers make it look.  I'm so prepared for that, it won't even be disappointing.  But I'm in this for the MOTW, anyway, and I've always been most excited about the Were-Monster episode -- now even moreso.  I really think that one's going to be great, and I can't wait (and I'm so bummed I didn't find out about the local screening in time to go this past weekend).

Mulder was the believer, Scully was the skeptic, and their partnership worked well both in the story and on the screen. As the series processed and the two became closer, the fundamentals of the series changed and while Scully was mostly still skeptical, she had seen more than enough to (want to) believe. As this series picks up, Mulder & Scully are separated and basically back in their original starting positions. While the past is certainly a big part of what makes this iteration work, it is also the ability of the writers to basically start the relationship over and build it up again. While it may seem lazy to go back to this age old formula, it works, and when TV works, there’s no reason to complain.

Oh yes there is. It is lazy to go back to it. It doesn't work for me anymore. At all. It's beyond pathetic now. No excuse.

Another review from EW. Figures that the MOTW eps was gonna be much better than the mythology eps. Really looking forward to seeing the Were Monster ep.

I'm in the middle of reading that one. The way that they explained CC's ep... damn XD.

Loved:

Roswell, 9/11, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Kimmel, Faraday Cages, the military-industrial complex, kids without ears, the military-industrial complex, JFK, Henrietta Lacks, Saddam Hussein, “Mission Accomplished,” the Patriot Act, Edward Snowden, communism, terrorism, fascism, the Venus Syndrome, “They’ve reopened the X-Files.”

There, I just spoiled “My Struggle,” the rebooted premiere of The X-Files and one of the single strangest episodes of anything ever. “My Struggle” is a chain-gun barrage of catchphrase paranoia and midlife-crisis crypto-Randian anti-philosophy. It’s like creator Chris Carter took 13 years of pent-up ideas and printed them on Froot Loops.

This whole thing has WTF?! written all over it. Ann Rand... oh boy. Glad I put the warning in there about the first episode and no political talk. Will be doing the same for episodes 5 and 6, just to give you guys a heads up on it.

Dat 'printed on Froot Loops' comment... it's just priceless XD.

The Washington Post's review of it is out and its got a nice bit in it as well.

Unfortunately that’s also the first episode’s lone moment of emotive brilliance, and it comes not long after a dreadful scene on Mulder’s front porch, with the two having an uninspired version of the argument they’ve always been having.

Scully: I’m here as somebody who cares about you — as somebody’s who’s worried about you.

Mulder: Scully, you gotta to trust me on this. . . . This will finally be their undoing.

Scully: It’ll be your undoing, Mulder. You want to believe, you so badly want to believe!

Mulder: I do believe!

Scully: Mulder, have a Snickers. You’re not yourself when you’re hungry.

All right, all right — I added that last part, but that’s how closely the scene plays to satire.

Sourcehttps://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/reopening-the-x-files-requires-more-than-a-look-back-its-also-a-look-within/2016/01/20/559f191e-bc8a-11e5-99f3-184bc379b12d_story.html

XD

A new article from Entertainment Weekly...

Sourcehttp://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/20/x-files

• Love 1

Another new article... from spinoff.comicbookresources...

A bit from it:

Mulder and Scully’s relationship came up next, with Carter saying that it was his and the producer’s thinking that they’d “have a hard time living under the same roof because of their personalities and passions. I see Mulder now, that he has Google, he probably sits at home in his underwear a lot. I don’t think that’d sit well with Scully, who’s a scientist and doctor, and it’d be a bump in the road for them. I think you’ll see through the course of these six episodes that they are drawn closer together, not just through their investigations but through a deep love for one another.” When asked if we’ll see present day William in the show, Carter said that we won’t, but he is important to the show’s arc as it moves forward.

Ugh. What an idiot. Nothing like ruining a character. Making him into a person who'll believe just about anything. My mom and I aren't a fan of this turn of events and this is just making this whole thing into a bad joke.

Another article...

Source: backstage.com

At the beginning of the series we learn—gasp!—that they are no longer living together. Carter calls the separation “honest to their relationship,” but he does acknowledge that some fans won’t be happy with the change. “I keep saying it’s 20 people out there complaining,” Carter says, laughing. “It’s a loud minority.”

Anyone up to adding the tag #btwimashipper to their Twitter reviews to Anne on the 24th? I'm planning on doing it for the heck of it.

A new CC interview via TVGuide... 

Warning... more dumb answers within... O_o.

I think they are trying to recapture some of the past glory and perhaps reel in a new audience in the process.

Problem is, it's not going to work. People can find far better shows out there these days.

Another interview...

Source: polygon.com

"Because of Google, Mulder probably spends a lot of time sitting at home in front of his computer in his underwear," Carter said. "I believed it would spell a bump in the road for them. But I think you'll see through the course of the six episodes that they begin to be drawn close together once again."

Carter wouldn't elaborate as to whether that meant Scully and Mulder would eventually get the romantic reunion that fans have been hoping for, but did reiterate that was an arc that could only be carried out if the show received an order for new episodes.

/facepalm

I'm literally sick and tired of this crap.

And yet another one...

Source: slashfilm.com

And another one!

Source: the wrap.com

Recently you said Mulder and Scully were platonic for nine seasons and fans kind of went, “Wait a minute. They had a kid together. They weren’t platonic.” Can you clarify those comments?

Well, we never actually said definitively how that kid came to be. Even though there are indicators how he came to be, we never said specifically when that conception and how that conception and the details surrounding that conception fit together. And I thought it was better to play the mystery of it. Even though we’ve said it’s their kid, I think there are still questions outstanding.

Do you still see them as platonic?

No. They were still in the same bed together in the second movie, so… No, that’s not platonic.

How conclusive is the ending to the six episodes going to be in terms of the larger mythology?

There’s a huge cliffhanger.

So are there plans for more episodes then?

Not yet. We’ll have to see how these do. Right now, even though there was a casual mention of it, no one has had any serious conversations, and certainly no negotiations about coming back after this.

Would you be okay with this franchise ending in this cliffhanger?

Well, there could be a third movie. These characters are kind of in my blood, I say they’re in my DNA and they are. So there’s always the potential to do more. I think we just have to wait and see how we do on this outing.

But you and David and Gillian would all be game for more.

All of us have expressed a desire to do more, yes.

In your own head, do you have a definitive ending to “The X-Files”?

No.

Well I'll be damned. XD Hell has officially frozen over.

A new video has come out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4lCB5ijT4Y

More tomorrow, as I am exhausted, but I went to a screening of the first and third episodes tonight.  (So, obviously, spoilers ahead, but, then, this is the spoiler thread.  I'm not going to go scene by scene or anything, though.)

Oh my god, the third episode (Darin Morgan's Were-Monster episode) is just short of perfection.  A fantastically funny script, wonderful social commentary, callbacks to many previous episodes, Mulder unclear how to use his phone's camera - and then sticking it in Scully's face while she's trying to do an autopsy, a lovely shout-out to Kim Manners, pitch perfect Mulder & Scully (you think "This is how I like my Mulder" is going to be the best line between them, and then she says her next one), a fantastic scene reminiscent of the "You're doing me" role reversal from Moonlighting's Yours, Very Deadly episode, Scully giving great face as she tries to get a word in edgewise while Mulder presents his theory, Mulder gets his groove back, Scully saves herself (and solves the case), Scully gets a new dog, a faux porn scene that had us all howling ... the studio knows what they're doing in including this with the first episode in two L.A. screenings so far, because you really do tend to forget the first episode's flaws when you go right into this one.  (The "just sort of perfection" comes from the treatment of a character who is transgender; DM thinks he's being understanding and inclusive, but he can't resist making a joke.)

The first episode was pretty much just what I expected -- vintage CC.  Which means it's over-written, Mulder-centric, and doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but does have some exciting/intriguing moments that draw you in and get you excited to see where other people take it from here.  You can tell what they filmed early on, as Gillian has more awkward moments in this episode than she does in all previous episodes/movies combined, but she also doesn't have a lot to work with. 

The break-up isn't outright explained very well; what's on paper can make Scully look like an ass, like she just dumped Mulder when he got depressed, but if you've followed them all these years it's not hard to imagine how living with him got to be too much.  I hope this gets fleshed out, though.  But they still feel right to me, very much like a couple who still loves each other (and in Darin's episode, very much like a couple who still adores each other), so unless they fuck things up in episode six (CC's stupid cliffhanger shit), I'll have no problem imagining they come back together as romantic partners once Mulder gets himself back together (and the stage is set for that in episode three, so ... get on the ball, CC).  I still wish he'd just left their relationship intact, but that ship sailed and at least episode one is not as bad as I'd feared on that front.

I am really thrilled that they dispense with what a guest character calls the "nonsense" (a word I often use) of the whole aliens vs. aliens/aliens on earth thing and get back to government misuse and cover-up of alien technology.  Much more believable, and thus much more interesting (to me, obviously).  The politics on display are, well, interesting, but I think it comes from a place most of us can relate to and try to ignore the rest.  But it's really hard to get invested in Mulder declaring, yet again, that this time what he's being told by X person is The Truth, and everything prior to this was a lie. 

And they really shouldn't have revealed William B. Davis' return so early on and so freely, and then tried to play off CSM's appearance as a huge reveal (complete with keeping his name out of the opening credits and instead putting it up as a special "And" credit after the final scene). 

Okay, well, I got a second wind and wrote far more than I expected to.  Any specifics you want to know, just ask and I'll check back in tomorrow.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

Thanks so much for that great write-up!  i can't say that it got me more excited to see the episodes, because I've been pretty close to flailing about excited for awhile now, but it was further confirmation of what others who have seen the first three eps (and I realize you didn't see the second one) have said about them.  Honestly, I can't get worked up or bothered by the quality of the first episode or the unevenness of the episodes screened so far because that's just a microcosm of the series as a whole.  We've always dealt with crap from CC -- with flashes of brilliance -- as well as episodes that were middle of the road and then those that were fantastic.  We've had CC say stupid crap about the 'ship and try to throw a wrench into the works, but when has that ever stopped shippers from seeing exactly what we want to see?  Especially since David and Gillian can't seem to help playing Mulder and Scully like two people in love?  

Soooo, yeah.  Thoroughly excited, and a bunch of interviews with CC or reviews from the "professionals" aren't going to dampen that.  The only review that truly matters to me is MINE, and I kind of want to wait until I actually see it to judge it.  ;)  

Thanks again, Bastet!  Happy for you getting a preview!  :) 

Yeah, I suspect the six episodes to be like any random six-episode stretch of the series -- a mixed bag.  Which is kind of ridiculous, because when you know you only have six, they should all be your best effort.  But it's okay, because now that I've seen the third one I know there's at least one that will make me say this whole thing was worth it.

I'll still be really pissed if the sixth episode sucks, though.

Yeah, I suspect the six episodes to be like any random six-episode stretch of the series -- a mixed bag.  Which is kind of ridiculous, because when you know you only have six, they should all be your best effort.  But it's okay, because now that I've seen the third one I know there's at least one that will make me say this whole thing was worth it.

I'll still be really pissed if the sixth episode sucks, though.

Exactly. Which is in part why I'm disappointed. But meh, as far as I'm concerned I don't recognize either character anymore. Thanks for your write up, Bastet. At least I'll know what I'm in for. A head ache, which is nothing new, given the writer XD. This is all aimed at fan boys, noromos and myth arc fans. Shippers don't really exist to them. We're a minority. Screw em' I say. :P

More tomorrow, as I am exhausted, but I went to a screening of the first and third episodes tonight.  (So, obviously, spoilers ahead, but, then, this is the spoiler thread.  I'm not going to go scene by scene or anything, though.)

Oh my god, the third episode (Darin Morgan's Were-Monster episode) is just short of perfection.  A fantastically funny script, wonderful social commentary, callbacks to many previous episodes, Mulder unclear how to use his phone's camera - and then sticking it in Scully's face while she's trying to do an autopsy, a lovely shout-out to Kim Manners, pitch perfect Mulder & Scully (you think "This is how I like my Mulder" is going to be the best line between them, and then she says her next one), a fantastic scene reminiscent of the "You're doing me" role reversal scene from Moonlighting's Yours, Very Deadly episode, Scully giving great face as she tries to get a word in edgewise while Mulder presents his theory, Mulder gets his groove back, Scully saves herself (and solves the case), Scully gets a new dog, a faux porn scene that had us all howling ... the studio knows what they're doing in including this with the first episode in two L.A. screenings so far, because you really do tend to forget the first episode's flaws when you go right into this one.  (The "just sort of perfection" comes from the treatment of a character who is transgender; DM thinks he's being understanding and inclusive, but he can't resist making a joke.)

The first episode was pretty much just what I expected -- vintage CC.  Which means it's over-written, Mulder-centric, and doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but has some great moments that draw you in and get you excited to see where other people take it from here.  You can tell what they filmed early on, as Gillian has more awkward moments in this episode than she does in all previous episodes/movies combined, but she also doesn't have a lot to work with. 

The break-up isn't outright explained very well; what's on paper can make Scully look like an ass, like she just dumped Mulder when he got depressed, but if you've followed them all these years it's not hard to imagine how living with him got to be too much.  I hope this gets fleshed out, though.  But they still feel right to me, very much like a couple who still loves each other (and in Darin's episode, very much like a couple who still adores each other), so unless they fuck things up in episode six (CC's stupid cliffhanger shit), I'll have no problem imagining they come back together as romantic partners once Mulder gets himself back together (and the stage is set for that in episode three, so ... get on the ball, CC).  I still wish he'd just left their relationship intact, but that ship sailed and at least episode one is not as bad as I'd feared on that front.

I am really thrilled that they dispense with what a guest character calls the "nonsense" (a word I often use) of the whole aliens vs. aliens/aliens on earth thing and get back to government misuse and cover-up of alien technology.  Much more believable, and thus much more interesting (to me, obviously).  The politics on display are, well, interesting, but I think it comes from a place most of us can relate to and try to ignore the rest.  But it's really hard to get invested in Mulder declaring, yet again, that this time what he's being told by X person is The Truth, and everything prior to this was a lie. 

And they really shouldn't have revealed William B. Davis' return so early on and so freely, and then tried to play off CSM's appearance as a huge reveal (complete with keeping his name out of the opening credits and instead putting it up as a special "And" credit after the final scene). 

Okay, well, I got a second wind and wrote far more than I expected to.  Any specifics you want to know, just ask and I'll check back in tomorrow.

Super write up! Thanks for writing with enthusiasm yet not spoiling too much.  I'm so freaking excited that I can barely sit still or concentrate on anything else.  It's going to be a long 48 hours. 

I'm really looking forward to everyone's reactions to the first episode when they don't have the spectacular third episode as a palate cleanser.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a total dud.  I just think it's not all that great, and certainly more lackluster than the show's reintroduction to the world should be.  But I think - although obviously don't know because there were literally seconds between the end credits of episode one and the opening of episode three last night - that even without the euphoria induced by the Were-Monster episode I would come away excited that the X-Files are back open, and really excited that it's because both of them want it.  Mulder isn't convincing Scully to come back.  She wants to.  She basically tells Tad it was the time of her life (as a scientist and, yeah, because of Mulder). 

I just finished emailing a friend a scene by scene recap as best as I could remember (in some places I couldn't quite keep track of the sequence of events, and I forgot a lot of what Tad and Mulder were including in their conspiracy theory ... this is where the politics comes in, where some real-life government action CC is calling out you think, "Yep" and some you think, "Wait, you're lumping that in?") and it reads just like I said -- vintage CC.  I think however you usually felt about his mytharc episodes is how you'll feel about this one.

Edited by Bastet

A new CC article... 

Source: zap2it.com

With them back working the X-Files and returning to that dynamic, it really points out how much the world has changed since the original series ended — from smartphones, to social media. How does that come into play when crafting a new story for these two?

They say that believe in UFOs is down because so many people look at these photos on the Internet and have more ability to tell you they’re fakes. They’re able to be studied more precisely. So I think that interesting.

But there are over 500 conspiracy sites on the Internet. The way Mulder approaches the job is very different now. he can sit at home in his underwear, looking at the internet and doing research. it’s a different world for them and him.

I think that’s one of the things that drove them apart in their relationship. Mulder became a very isolated character, where Scully is a serious physician.

So... Mulder isn't allowed to do what he does? But Scully is? /facepalm This is beyond pathetic.

Ok, let me tell you something and i hope you don't threat like CC :D again, my english is not that good.

Anyway, i don't hate anyone in real life. I'm shipper and yes, i'm angry on CC but really, this negativity on this forum is just wrong. Yes, we all don't like what CC doing in this new season but to me in my opinion CC is third best writer on show. Vince Gilligan, Darin Morgan and CC. Glen and Wong i love them but in fourth and fifth place.

In prime when CC wrote mythology, Anasazi, Duane Barry, Two Father, One Son, Paper Clip, Nisei, Redux II. To me, this all episodes is masterpieces. Bad writer can't write this episodes. Yes, he has downs in writing but he prvoe that he is great writer. Monster of the week episodes The Host, The Post Modern Prometheus, Triangle, Iresisstible. Again, to me this all episodes is masterpieces and bad writer can't write this episodes. He is not wrote only one great episode, he is wrote plenty briliant episode. On Millennium also. First season is pure gold and second season also (Morgan/Wong).

So, i don't hate CC. I'm angry on him because he split Mulder and Scully but again this is not anger when hate something.

And more thing. Mostly reviews of first episode is positive. This is fact. https://sites.google.com/site/xfrevival/

Overall, 37 positive reviews and 9 leaning towards positive.

This is review from critic who never watched series http://www.seat42f.com/the-x-files-review.html

“My Struggle” is absolutely fantastic. It is creepy, it is intriguing, it is exciting, and it has some great performers. I *think* (again, I didn’t watch the show) it will completely redefine what the series was about, and pay off in big ways to those who are fans. Yet, if you’re coming in fresh, it’s also easy to follow and immediately addictive.

Then from Keith, critic and fan https://twitter.com/keithuhlich/status/691332689018916864

We'll see. Know that I know the first three are all very worth it.

Edited by Margaret
  • Love 2

Another new article!

Source: rottentomatoes.com

Ok, let me tell you something and i hope you don't threat like CC :D again, my english is not that good.

Anyway, i don't hate anyone in real life. I'm shipper and yes, i'm angry on CC but really, this negativity on this forum is just wrong. Yes, we all don't like what CC doing in this new season but to me in my opinion CC is third best writer on show. Vince Gilligan, Darin Morgan and CC. Glen and Wong i love them but in fourth and fifth place.

In prime when CC wrote mythology, Anasazi, Duane Barry, Two Father, One Son, Paper Clip, Nisei, Redux II. To me, this all episodes is masterpieces. Bad writer can't write this episodes. Yes, he has downs in writing but he prvoe that he is great writer. Monster of the week episodes The Host, The Post Modern Prometheus, Triangle, Iresisstible. Again, to me this all episodes is masterpieces and bad writer can't write this episodes. He is not wrote only one great episode, he is wrote plenty briliant episode. On Millennium also. First season is pure gold and second season also (Morgan/Wong).

So, i don't hate CC. I'm angry on him because he split Mulder and Scully but again this is not anger when hate something.

And more thing. Mostly reviews of first episode is positive. This is fact. https://sites.google.com/site/xfrevival/

Overall, 37 positive reviews and 9 leaning towards positive.

This is review from critic who never watched series http://www.seat42f.com/the-x-files-review.html

Then from Keith, critic and fan https://twitter.com/keithuhlich/status/691332689018916864

Glad you're able to feel that way. But people do have a right to feel the way they do against CC. And no... I'd never threaten the man. That's one line I do not cross. Farthest any of us have gone is with some name calling and that's out of frustration.

I liked a lot of his writing as well. Defended him quite a bit too. It's just gotten to the point where it's not all that defensible anymore. 

Thanks for sharing the articles.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*puts on mod cap*

Also, please ease up on saying that we're threatening the man as a person (if that's what you were going at). I have not seen that in this thread. We're just people who are tired of his games. 

We allow for a certain amount of snark on the forums. There is a line that we do not cross on here though. And that is to threaten any of the actors, writers, etc. That would be going too far.

/takes off mod cap

I'm sorry for any negativity in this thread. It's just been something... the way that they've treated shippers this go has been a part of it from my end. And I hope if and when there's a new set of episodes, that they won't treat fans in that manner.

I don't hate CC in general or any of the actors or writers. I just get tired of CC's behavior sometimes, like anyone else.