Type keyword(s) to search

Do We Need a Television vs Comics Thread?

• Start Topic

POLL CLOSED

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do We Need a TV vs Comics Thread?

• Yes
    • No

There seems to be a pretty big elephant in the room that no one is discussing. that being how the TV series is a companion piece to written material that has been out there for a while. Many discussions that have been taking place in the episode threads are truly pointless from, the comic book point of view. The comic book thread is not cutting it as an episode discussion point. Is it possible to have a thread for each episode where people in the know can discuss the show and episode in more realistic terms. No need for spoiler tags, just talking about what happen that episode. We can discuss whether the actors pulled it off well compared to the comics or the general structure of the episode.

In those episode threads we can avoid speculation on what the ASZ is, or is not, who and what Jessie is to Rick, whether Rick is OOC . Because 90% of the people watching TWD already know. And as for the characters not in the comics, well there is a party for everyone. Because the writers can use their imagination and go anywhere with them. And we can go along with the ride happily or not. Either way we know where the greater journey is going and will not have to wade through so many post about things which are forgone conclusions.

So bring over something that Watcher0636 and others have been talking about:

First - I perused the comics thread again, and there are not very many posts in here. Only six pages, and considering how prolific you guys are in the episode threads, that seems very low. There is talk about the comics, and a bit of comparison to the TV show.

Now I don't read the comics, so I have no idea how much material there is, but the GoT threads are covering BIG books that are very detailed oriented and garner a lot of discussion. They are also very different from the show (but then, so is Walking Dead).

That said - I did notice a Television vs. Book thread in GoT, which might be a good idea for us. A thread that you can discuss all manner of spoilers and comparisons to the TV series, spoilers galore, discussions galore. But then I would want the Comics thread to be purely about the actual comics themselves - i.e. no TV talk.

I personally don't think there is enough traffic for dedicated episode threads that allow Comics talk about a particular episode. Fact is, people like to follow the discussion, which happens to be in the episode threads.

The thing is, next week is the last episode of the Walking Dead for what? - another 8 months or so. How much conversation will this generate?

So I would like to hear your opinions on this - what you would like to see, that will appease the Spoiler Adverse, those who read the comics also, and those who don't care about spoilers at all. A thread that will interest you and you will want to post in, during the - sigh once again - long hiatus.

Post your thoughts, please!

I would love a thread like this! There have been a few times I wanted to talk about the difference between what happened in the comics and what happened on the show, but wasn't sure where to put that discussion.

Edited by LeafontheWind

The thing is, next week is the last episode of the Walking Dead for what? - another 8 months or so.

Holy crap! That's the only part of the post I can focus on!

Eight months or so?!?!?

The last ep is on March 29.

April, May, June, July, August, September, and part of October.

At most, 7 months. Right? Please? Do you know something we don't? I mean about TWD season 6 premiere, not everything else you know that we don't. :-)

The current thread, The Comics: The Same But Different, is already a comics vs show thread. That's the same but different part of the title. At least that's the way I've always taken it. I've taken any comparison discussion or any spoiled speculation talk there since the other spoiled thread excluded comic spoilers (I believe). Really, anything involving the book at all I take to that thread.

But it would be nice to have more avenues for discussion. I don't read/post the episode thread since it is SO long (over 700 posts in less than 48 hours after the show), and a lot of the posts are comic free speculation/analysis that is absolutely wrong. It would be really nice to have the episode thread split into spoiled and unspoiled. I know some people got a little grief for referring to it as ASZ before it was completely revealed on TV, so inadvertently slipping in spoilers is easy to do. So maybe separate episod threads would be a good thing for multiple reasons.

• Love 1

I would love a thread like this! There have been a few times I wanted to talk about the difference between what happened in the comics and what happened on the show, but wasn't sure where to put that discussion.

Right now, that would go in the comics thread. One of us always posts the panel vs screen post from Skybound in there! I'm fine with a separate thread, knowing that it wouldn't get a ton of posts. I'm also fine with what we have now. Just no tv spoilers unless tagged! :)

• Love 1

Holy crap! That's the only part of the post I can focus on!

Eight months or so?!?!?

The last ep is on March 29.

April, May, June, July, August, September, and part of October.

At most, 7 months. Right? Please? Do you know something we don't? I mean about TWD season 6 premiere, not everything else you know that we don't. :-)

OMG, kikismom - breathe! You make me laugh. No, I just threw the 8 months out there. Assuming the show comes back in October, okay SEVEN Months.

However, I am sure you remember when TWD came back after more than a YEAR a couple of seasons ago!!

FOCUS on the thread! *grin*

• Love 1

Okay! The reason I pinned my post to your Jessie post. Is because so much of that Jessie talk was being pushed by key posters who were discussing the same topic in the comics thread. In other words they knew the truth about most of the ASZ storyline, but were posting as if the characters were acting out of character or if something was not happening to a character when they clearly knew it was.

Now this has been happening ever since the forums started. But it has reached a level of farce. So we do not need a TV vs. Comics thread. We need a thread where you can discuss an individual episode within the world of the comics. The TV show is not the comics, they are the same in most of the characters and the general plots. But there is enough of a difference to bring suspense to each episode.

But in reality, the whole what is the ASZ, are the people evil, why is Rick looking a some bland blonde. These things may be great discussion for those who are clearly in the dark. But when you mix that discussion with people who know better, the posts and subjects take on a great deal of disingenuous.

Not knowing and having legitimate questions about what has happen and what will happen is good. For people who truly are operating from the dark. However how can you enjoy a thread when certain people are pushing or pounding hard on a theory that is just never going to happen. And some of those who know this are egging them on.

What we need is an episode thread for each new episode where everything goes. It needs to be clearly labeled so. We will discuss the episode, what happen, but not act like we did know it was not going to happen. We will not talk about the characters as if we did not know why he was making eyes and kissing the blonde on the cheeks.

So much of that Jessie talk was being pushed by key posters who were discussing the same topic in the comics thread. In other words they knew the truth about most of the ASZ storyline, but were posting as if the characters were acting out of character or if something was not happening to a character when they clearly knew it was.…

What we need is an episode thread for each new episode where everything goes. It needs to be clearly labeled so. We will discuss the episode, what happen, but not act like we did know it was not going to happen.

How is having two threads for every episode going to stop people who read the comics from posting in other threads?!

• Love 3

How is having two threads for every episode going to stop people who read the comics from posting in other threads?!

It will not. However it will allow some of us to partake in a more legitimate discussion.

• Love 1

I do think it's kind of difficult with the current comic thread to have an episode by episode discussion...I like to talk about the comics and where they are currently, but I do also like to talk about the show vs. comic comparison. If the mods don't mind lots of threads, it doesn't hurt to try. 

• Love 1

[Having two threads for every epidode] will allow some of us to partake in a more legitimate discussion.

As Halcyon Days noted above, there's already a thread for comic talk—and it's not very active. Having 16 additional threads every season makes zero sense to me.

• Love 6

I've been reading the comic since day one but after season 1 of the tv show, it and the comic are just two different things to me. Yes, I know I referred to ASZ as ASZ before it was consensus to call it that but I called it that because it seemed like what it should be called. I haven't read that part of the comic for a long time, I dont re-read them so anyway, I guess I remembered it but didnt realize I remembered it. Anyway, I respond to the tv show as it is and the comic as it is. I used to be so aggravated that Chandler Riggs was so much older than Carl in the books but now, meh, kind of different characters. They are just different things, TWD world is pretty big when you think comic + tv show + various games, it's all just a hodge podge. Im spoiler adverse, I dont even watch sneak peeks or scenes from next week's episodes and even when im reading the comic, if for some reason Im reading hard copy (Ive been getting it electronically a long time now), I put my hand over the next page so I wont see what's coming up (I do this when Im reading novels too, keep my hands covering everything except the paragraph Im on right now, I just take in visual information super fast). I dont really want a million threads all more or less about the same thing and I think the comic thread has really started to pick up since ASZ. That may be because the story lines are closer than they've been in a long time. IDK, there are other things I think would be more interesting to have discussions about, like comparing all the various zombiedom's, what works as a zombie story, what doesnt, micro zombie stories we tell each other to scare each other. That's my two cents.

If we start threads for comparing specific episodes to the comics, It might be best if they go directly into a subforum. I'm not really interested, to be honest, I haven't read the comics and I don't often look at the existing comics thread.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 2

As Halcyon Days noted above, there's already a thread for comic talk—and it's not very active. Having 16 additional threads every season makes zero sense to me.

Yes, someone below you mentioned having them in a subforum, which might be okay, but unless people are actually going to post in them (whereas they don't in the current one), it's really a non-issue. 

I think the current situation works, but we don't get many episode relevant posts. The only iffy thing is mixing show vs comic talk and talk just about the comics and what's happening in them now. We could have two threads like that. "Current WD comic discussion" and "comics vs show"... 

• Love 2

Okay! The reason I pinned my post to your Jessie post. Is because so much of that Jessie talk was being pushed by key posters who were discussing the same topic in the comics thread. In other words they knew the truth about most of the ASZ storyline, but were posting as if the characters were acting out of character or if something was not happening to a character when they clearly knew it was.

Now this has been happening ever since the forums started. But it has reached a level of farce. So we do not need a TV vs. Comics thread. We need a thread where you can discuss an individual episode within the world of the comics. The TV show is not the comics, they are the same in most of the characters and the general plots. But there is enough of a difference to bring suspense to each episode.

But in reality, the whole what is the ASZ, are the people evil, why is Rick looking a some bland blonde. These things may be great discussion for those who are clearly in the dark. But when you mix that discussion with people who know better, the posts and subjects take on a great deal of disingenuous.

Not knowing and having legitimate questions about what has happen and what will happen is good. For people who truly are operating from the dark. However how can you enjoy a thread when certain people are pushing or pounding hard on a theory that is just never going to happen. And some of those who know this are egging them on.

What we need is an episode thread for each new episode where everything goes. It needs to be clearly labeled so. We will discuss the episode, what happen, but not act like we did know it was not going to happen. We will not talk about the characters as if we did not know why he was making eyes and kissing the blonde on the cheeks.

I don't understand the bolded contradiction there. Either the comics are different enough from the show that people who have read them can still be surprised by the show, or they are so much the same that people who have read the comics know for certain what is or isn't going to happen. 

The way I see it, in addition to the episode threads (no spoilers, no comic talk), we already have

The Comics: Same, Yet Different

Watch Duty: Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation

Speculation Without Spoilers

"The Comics: Same Yet Different" seems to be there to serve exactly the purpose being requested - to talk abut the comics vrs the show. So I don't see the purpose in adding yet another section that would just further complicate things as far as where people should post what. If things get too confusing people will just stop posting. 

(FWIW, I don't read the comics and have no interest in doing so, and I don't like being spoiled, so I stick to the Episode threads and the Survivor threads.)

• Love 4

I don't understand the bolded contradiction there. Either the comics are different enough from the show that people who have read them can still be surprised by the show, or they are so much the same that people who have read the comics know for certain what is or isn't going to happen. 

The way I see it, in addition to the episode threads (no spoilers, no comic talk), we already have

The Comics: Same, Yet Different

Watch Duty: Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation

Speculation Without Spoilers

"The Comics: Same Yet Different" seems to be there to serve exactly the purpose being requested - to talk abut the comics vrs the show. So I don't see the purpose in adding yet another section that would just further complicate things as far as where people should post what. If things get too confusing people will just stop posting. 

(FWIW, I don't read the comics and have no interest in doing so, and I don't like being spoiled, so I stick to the Episode threads and the Survivor threads.)

Yes, this is the part I don't understand. I read the Comics thread occasionally, because I don't really mind spoilers, but I never read the comics themselves. However, from what I have read in the other thread there are tons of differences. Andrea is still alive and Glenn is not (and apparently hasn't been for a very long time, so no spoiler there)  in the comics, for example.

Doesn't matter to me really, one way or the other, but I guess I don't see why the comic thread isn't more active if there is a real need for the.  

• Love 1

Yes, this is the part I don't understand. I read the Comics thread occasionally, because I don't really mind spoilers, but I never read the comics themselves. However, from what I have read in the other thread there are tons of differences. Andrea is still alive and Glenn is not (and apparently hasn't been for a very long time, so no spoiler there)  in the comics, for example.

Doesn't matter to me really, one way or the other, but I guess I don't see why the comic thread isn't more active if there is a real need for the.  

Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding :)    (that must be the spoiler that keeps circulating)

Would it help to have two comics threads, one in-time with the comics as they are released and one that is somewhat in time with the show release (not a thread for each episode)? Oops, like mandolin said, heh.

Back on the old site, the less popular shows had just one thread for the whole show and it was OK when there weren't tons and tons of posts, so that would likely continue to work for the show vs. comics.

But it would be nice to have more avenues for discussion. I don't read/post the episode thread since it is SO long (over 700 posts in less than 48 hours after the show), and a lot of the posts are comic free speculation/analysis that is absolutely wrong. It would be really nice to have the episode thread split into spoiled and unspoiled. I know some people got a little grief for referring to it as ASZ before it was completely revealed on TV, so inadvertently slipping in spoilers is easy to do. So maybe separate episod threads would be a good thing for multiple reasons.

Of course it is comic free in the episode thread, and since the show often departs wildly from the comics, saying the spec. and analysis "is absolutely wrong" is a bit of a stretch. (If people had speculated Andrea would be killed by the Governor, they wouldn't have been wrong at all.)

People weren't actually given grief about using ASZ at all. When people were wondering how to refer to Alexandria in a shorter form, someone asked about using it in spoiler tags, and even though I don't read comics or spoilers I looked to see how a name of a place could be much of a spoiler, and then posted I thought we should use it. 

The problem is, we can't have just spoiled/unspoiled. There's spoiled by comics (which maybe won't be spoilers at all) and spoiled by show spoilers. Some people fall into one, both, or neither. 

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 1

Okay, so right now these are the threads we have:

Watch Duty: Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation Here, we can talk about the spoilers about the show, about what's coming up, but mostly with the show, not the comics.

The Comics: Same yet Different: Talk all about the comics, just a little bit about the show, but not too many posts.

Speculation without Spoilers: Show only discussion, with no comic mention at all and of course NO spoilers.

"The Comics: Same Yet Different" seems to be there to serve exactly the purpose being requested - to talk abut the comics vrs the show.

The only issue with using this thread to discuss the show, is that the comics were released much earlier, so if you guys want to talk about the comics, but don't want to know what's going on with the show, then reading this thread will spoil you on the show.

I think this is why I thought TV vs Comics thread. A spoiled thread about the comics and the show, all spoilered.

So we could end up having something like this:

Watch Duty: Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation -->  TV Show talk only - Spoilers - NO Comics talk.

Speculation without Spoilers: TV Show Talk -->     TV Show talk only - NO Spoilers. NO Comics Talk

The Comics: Same yet Different: -->  Comic talk only - Spoilers. NO TV Show talk.

Television vs. Comics: -->                  TV Show and Comics Talk - SPOILERS galore.

This feels like a matrix.

Take the red pill, HalcyonDays!

Ha! LOL Not THE MATRIX, a matrix. matrix_a.png

Am I the only geek here....? Though I do prefer me some Keanu so...

I appreciate everyone's responses, BTW. Most helpful! :')

• Love 3

Television vs. Comics: -->                  TV Show and Comics Talk - SPOILERS galore.

I could get behind it if not for this. I am current on comics, but I avoid all tv show spoilers. Would that thread have tv spoilers or no?

Knowing the comics means you think you know where the story will go. Knowing tv spoilers means you know what will happen because it's already out there. Two different things for me.

ETA: I mentioned before, but I stay out of most spec posts because I do think I'd have an "unfair advantage" on much of the material based on the comics, and I know that would color my ideas. It'd be nice to have a spot to say, "it's crazy to think that X because in the comics Y!" But I wouldn't want some tv spoiled person to come in and say, "Well Z is actually happening next episode." :P

Edited by mandolin
  • Love 3
I could get behind it if not for this. I am current on comics, but I avoid all tv show spoilers. Would that thread have tv spoilers or no?

In this case, the Television vs. Comics thread would have spoilers about BOTH the comics AND TV Show. Back and forth discussion on it, like "OMG, in the comics, they dyed Carol's hair bright pink and let it grow it long, but on the show, she has short grey hair." (obviously I made this up)

Then we would designate the The Comics thread as only talking about the comics, but no TV talk at all. So you could go ahead and discuss comic events, storylines without worrying about the TV show. Problem is, the comics thread may be more up to date with information than you are up to date in reading them.

This is the problem - we cannot accommodate everyone - people will just have to have discipline in what they read, if that makes sense.

How about that thread just being up through current show episode and corresponding info? So it'd truly be a comparison of what they've shown us and what's in the books but not what's coming up in either one? And future comic talk would be in the comics thread. (Which would probably include some show spec but it would be true spec, non spoilery.)

Does that make sense? If not, or if it's a bad idea, that's cool. Just another idea.

• Love 1

I like the idea of an "anything goes" thread. Like the Wild West of TWD forum. Is that crazy? I'd like to talk about the episode in all its connotations. Let's face it, thanks to Gimple's stated intention of following the comics more closely they are a source of spoilers more than ever before. Anyone who had a passing knowledge of them knew what Jesse was to Rick and knew the DV angle so a lot of the spec was beside the point. I would like to talk about them in connection to the episode and include spoilers of every stripe too. My two cents.

• Love 1

I like the idea of an "anything goes" thread. Like the Wild West of TWD forum. Is that crazy? I'd like to talk about the episode in all its connotations. 

That makes the most sense of all to me. In real life I am a big believer in "a place for everything and everything in its place" and am a bit obsessive with organizing & categorizing stuff. But in this regard I think too much categorization would be a headache for readers, posters and the Mods. I feel people might become afraid to post for fear of saying the wrong thing in the wrong place and getting in trouble with other readers or the Mods. One dumping-grounds thread where people can talk about the comics and the show and spoilers & speculations based on both is a good idea. Then people can post freely without worrying about being in the wrong place or whether they need a spoiler tag, and readers who don't want to be spoiled or speculated know to avoid that thread. 

Just my other two cents, I don't really care except for the fact that I really like how active this forum is and would hate to see it quieted by confusion.

• Love 2

I think as Kirkman has made it clear they're planning on using the comic to guide the show that there would be a benefit of having two episode threads each week: one no book, one with book.

A couple articles that make me believe the show will continue to use comic story lines and will probably stick closer to the comics than in the beginning (not really spoilery but if you don't want to know how closely the comic and show might go, don't read--I'm assuming most in this thread have comic book knowledge.):

http://www.ew.com/article/2014/09/09/walking-dead-robert-kirkman-comic-book-ending

http://www.blastr.com/2014-11-3/kirkman-promises-story-completely-changes-season-walking-dead

Just my two cents, I would vote for a Comics vs Show thread, keeping it simple.  If it starts getting too complicated I will definitely stop posting.  And it keeps things simple for the mods.  Separating by episode would be a lot of work for them.  Just my opinion and I'll admit I don't read the comics and don't read that thread.  I'm aware that those who do (read the comics) will have their opinions somewhat colored by this knowledge but thats okay with me.  I haven't seen it as much of a problem until the Jessie posts.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

• Love 2

Yes, this is the part I don't understand. I read the Comics thread occasionally, because I don't really mind spoilers, but I never read the comics themselves. However, from what I have read in the other thread there are tons of differences. Andrea is still alive and Glenn is not (and apparently hasn't been for a very long time, so no spoiler there) in the comics, for example.

Doesn't matter to me really, one way or the other, but I guess I don't see why the comic thread isn't more active if there is a real need for the.

To me the comic thread isn't more active because people are afraid it might have far future spoilers and because people don't talk about a specific episode because the conversation gets off that track--the talk is about the current ep, then another conversation starts about the art in new comic issue (which is fine, don't get me wrong, that's where it goes and it's of interest to me!) them the momentum on talk of the current episode is gone because the last post on it was a ways back, and both conversations interfere with the flow of each other. So then nobody talks. Maybe a sub-forum with comic spoiler ( not TV spoilers) with threads for each episode? Then people don't click on the spoilery one accidentally but the conversation is still more directed to each episode rather than an "all comics" topic that tangled multiple themes in and amongst each other?

ETA: or even an all-comics talk and a "TV episodes vs comics" thread. It could be made clear in the title and the opening post that TV spoilers should still spoiler-tagged (like "TV Episodes vs Comic, Spoiler Tag Non-comics spoilers")

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 2

Sorry if this creates multiple posts from me, but I basically agree here. Knowing what was coming, a lot of that talk felt off to me--I would have loved to discuss maybe why people think the Rick/Jessie thing reads so wrong and forced to them: was it not conveyed as well as in the comic, is it inherent in the different media, are TV audiences different, demanding of more nuance or more invested in couples than the comics readers, was it just because we already knew where it was going and could relax ? (Although even when I'm not spoiled for a show I don't ever get upset about what might happen, but that's something I'd have liked to explore as well as part of "are TV viewers different than comic readers?")

There was some smattering of that discussion in the existing comics thread but it didn't really take off, and my guess is, again, because multiple conversations about very different aspects of the comic are happening at once and it's hard to pick up on just one thread and get a discussion off the ground.

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 1

That makes me pretty sad.

• Love 3

Regardless of how things are laid out, I would still like a place to discuss the comics without TV spoilers. (Spoilers being unaired content.)

Or, I guess I just had the thought since this is a TV site I can't ask for that. Ha!

Edited by mandolin

The last few posts are finally starting to get it. What we need is an episode thread where all talk is allowed. We can discuss if the story was handled better or worse than the comics. We can discuss the new characters in their true light because we know where they are suppose to go. As BrokenRemote stated it is hard to have an episode per episode discussion in the comics thread.

Now my very first post on this subject was in a diplomatic form. Simply because what I am about to state really did not bother me until the stop with the Jessie talk mod post. The truth is I found what follows kind of funny. As BrokenRemote already stated they are going to start following the comics more closely now. Not 100% for obvious reasons.

What some posters were doing. Is they were putting very false speculations about Jessie, Rick, Pete. They knew what they put out there, was never going to happen, they also knew why all the characters were acting the way they were. Once again I had no problem with this, I find it funny when those with knowledge play with those who don't have it. And to be honest I played along with it in a way. I rebutted the false characterization with humor and real life anecdotes.

Again there was nothing wrong with what the, in the know posters, were doing. It made the 1000 post episode thread possible. I am sure the accidental ad clicks in that thread were outstanding. The problem is after awhile that stuff can be annoying to people who know what is really going on. That is why the Jessie stuff started to get out of hand. All of us who were at first winking and nodding at the false stuff. Reach the point where the push back had to get a little more pushy.

All I wanted is when episode 06-01 ends for there to be an episode thread with the added words anything goes in here. I am sure there will only be a few posters there, but we will be very happy discussing the episode from a knowledge stand point. As for the normal spoiler free non speculation thread, I am sure it will still get plenty of posts and I am sure those in the know will still play games with those who do not know. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Okay I am done on this subject. I did not build the box nor did I bring sand.

Edited by Watcher0363

The last few posts are finally starting to get it. What we need is an episode thread where all talk is allowed. We can discuss if the story was handled better or worse than the comics. We can discuss the new characters in their true light because we know where they are suppose to go. As BrokenRemote stated it is hard to have an episode per episode discussion in the comics thread.

Now my very first post on this subject was in a diplomatic form. Simply because what I am about to state really did not bother me until the stop with the Jessie talk mod post. The truth is I found what follows kind of funny. As BrokenRemote already stated they are going to start following the comics more closely now. Not 100% for obvious reasons.

What some posters were doing. Is they were putting very false speculations about Jessie, Rick, Pete. They knew what they put out there, was never going to happen, they also knew why all the characters were acting the way they were. Once again I had no problem with this, I find it funny when those with knowledge play with those who don't have it. And to be honest I played along with it in a way. I rebutted the false characterization with humor and real life anecdotes.

Again there was nothing wrong with what the, in the know posters, were doing. It made the 1000 post episode thread possible. I am sure the accidental ad clicks in that thread were outstanding. The problem is after awhile that stuff can be annoying to people who know what is really going on. That is why the Jessie stuff started to get out of hand. All of us who were at first winking and nodding at the false stuff. Reach the point where the push back had to get a little more pushy.

All I wanted is when episode 06-01 ends for there to be an episode thread with the added words anything goes in here. I am sure there will only be a few posters there, but we will be very happy discussing the episode from a knowledge stand point. As for the normal spoiler free non speculation thread, I am sure it will still get plenty of posts and I am sure those in the know will still play games with those who do not know. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Okay I am done on this subject. I did not build the box nor did I bring sand.

The simple solution then, would be for those who were playing around not to.

• Love 4

The simple solution then, would be for those who were playing around not to.

There is an entertaining aspect to it. Which is mostly why people post here in the first place. No harm no foul when it comes to that stuff, I say.

It should also be of note that the rules in the possible model, Game of Thrones, are pretty strict. Those in the know aren't even permitted to "like" posts in the unspoiled by book or tv threads for fear of that indicating correct speculation. And we really like our "likes" around here!

There is an entertaining aspect to it. Which is mostly why people post here in the first place. No harm no foul when it comes to that stuff, I say.

I would have to disagree there.

• Love 4

Of course it is comic free in the episode thread,

and since the show often departs wildly from the comics, saying the spec. and analysis "is absolutely wrong" is a bit of a stretch. (If people had speculated Andrea would be killed by the Governor, they wouldn't have been wrong at all.)

If you believe that you are not getting comics spoiler talk outside the comic thread, I'm afraid I've got some bad news. Comic talk is blatantly, inadvertently, subtly, in every topic on the forum. Having separate areas for the spoiled to talk about multiple topics will protect those who wish to remain unspoiled, unlike the current situation.

By the time Andrea died they had fucked that character up so thoroughly that the only recourse they had was to kill her, her death was no surprise. So you're example is unconvincing. I'm referring to talk recently such as 'can Aaron be trusted?', 'should they go to Aaron's camp?', 'can they trust ASZ?'. Broad plot points like that are not going to change from the comic. OK, the leader of ASZ is a woman instead of a man, but ASZ isn't going to turn out to be another Terminus, they are not going to make such a fundamental change that alters even current comics story. Hence all such talk is of zero relevance to a comics spoiled forum member. Yet in order to participate in a discussion of the current episode, we must read countless such posts. So my choice is either an episode thread with a high percentage of posts that are of no/little interest, or trying to get an episode discussion going in in the general comic thread where people are talking about many topics and your intended discussion point gets lost.

The current system is not protecting those who wish to remain spoiler free and it is not giving spoiled forum members enough structure to stimulate conversation.

Okay, so right now these are the threads we have:

Watch Duty: Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation Here, we can talk about the spoilers about the show, about what's coming up, but mostly with the show, not the comics.

The Comics: Same yet Different: Talk all about the comics, just a little bit about the show, but not too many posts.

Speculation without Spoilers: Show only discussion, with no comic mention at all and of course NO spoilers.

As I see it, you need:

NO spoilers

Comic spoilers, no TV spoilers

TV spoilers, no comics spoilers

Anything goes.

I see zero need for a separate topic for comics only discussion. If someone wants some meaty comics talk, other forums can serve them better. This IS Previously TV afterall, we talk about TV here. And if a couple posts here and there stray off into a little comics exclusive talk occasionally, ... I never liked and overly moderated forum.

But the above four groups, I see the two at the ends being the most popular. I'd give them separate episode threads, and the totally spoiled could also use a couple other threads; characters, speculation, etc. I think the two partially spoiled groups should each get a designated thread.

• Love 1

If you believe that you are not getting comics spoiler talk outside the comic thread, I'm afraid I've got some bad news. Comic talk is blatantly, inadvertently, subtly, in every topic on the forum. Having separate areas for the spoiled to talk about multiple topics will protect those who wish to remain unspoiled, unlike the current situation.

By the time Andrea died they had fucked that character up so thoroughly that the only recourse they had was to kill her, her death was no surprise. So you're example is unconvincing. I'm referring to talk recently such as 'can Aaron be trusted?', 'should they go to Aaron's camp?', 'can they trust ASZ?'. Broad plot points like that are not going to change from the comic. OK, the leader of ASZ is a woman instead of a man, but ASZ isn't going to turn out to be another Terminus, they are not going to make such a fundamental change that alters even current comics story. Hence all such talk is of zero relevance to a comics spoiled forum member. Yet in order to participate in a discussion of the current episode, we must read countless such posts. So my choice is either an episode thread with a high percentage of posts that are of no/little interest, or trying to get an episode discussion going in in the general comic thread where people are talking about many topics and your intended discussion point gets lost.

The current system is not protecting those who wish to remain spoiler free and it is not giving spoiled forum members enough structure to stimulate conversation.

As I see it, you need:

NO spoilers

Comic spoilers, no TV spoilers

TV spoilers, no comics spoilers

Anything goes.

I see zero need for a separate topic for comics only discussion. If someone wants some meaty comics talk, other forums can serve them better. This IS Previously TV afterall, we talk about TV here. And if a couple posts here and there stray off into a little comics exclusive talk occasionally, ... I never liked and overly moderated forum.

But the above four groups, I see the two at the ends being the most popular. I'd give them separate episode threads, and the totally spoiled could also use a couple other threads; characters, speculation, etc. I think the two partially spoiled groups should each get a designated thread.

The episode thread are supposed to be free of comic talk. I would guess that anyone who dropped an outlandish spec that turned out to be true and from the comics would get a warning at least. You'll have to excuse my example for being "unconvincing" to you, but for those who have not read the comics and have picked-up that Andrea was not killed there, you should be able to see how comic readers might consider that spec wildly incorrect when it would not be.

I find the example of "broad plot points" like Aaron being suspicious pretty unconvincing as most every single person who watched, no matter their comic/spoiler background, found him rather shady or at least too good to be true.

Right now, that would go in the comics thread. One of us always posts the panel vs screen post from Skybound in there! I'm fine with a separate thread, knowing that it wouldn't get a ton of posts. I'm also fine with what we have now. Just no tv spoilers unless tagged! :)

I guess I felt like the main point of that thread was to discuss the comics. I was actually a little worried I was doing something wrong the first time I posted something comparing the comic story to the story currently happening on the show. I am still kind of new to posting at all on this site, and I don't like to break the rules.

I would like to be able to discuss character arcs and story arcs that are different in the comics than they are in the show without having to worry about spoiler tagging a bunch of stuff. Mostly because I am not sure how to spoiler tag yet! I would especially love to be able to discuss if we think the comic or the show handled a particular storyline/character better. If the comic thread is already where we can do that, then I am happy.

• Love 1

And yes, we know that people speculating in the episode threads aren't necessarily "wrong", because we can't know with perfect certainty what's happening in the next episode.  But it's been pretty obvious with the Alexandria arc that Kirkman was telling the truth when he said Season 5 was going to be much closer to the comic.  While, no, those who read the comics couldn't know 1000%, it was pretty obvious to us that, say, Aaron was on the up and up about taking the group to their safe zone, not there to kill them all in their sleep.  It was pretty obvious that Deanna was probably not letting our group in so she could make them work as slaves.  Those theories were posted, though, and comic readers could be reasonably sure they weren't going to come to pass.  People were speculating that Jessie was abusing Pete, and again, we knew pretty much that, barring a really large departure from the comics (which this arc has been following quite closely), that was not going to happen, either.  So I think when people say they knew a theory was "wrong", that's where they're coming from.  Nothing can be totally known, because they can depart from the comic at any time.  But it would be nice to have a place specifically to talk about the episodes where we'd be free to just acknowledge, for example, that we knew Jessie was probably not abusing Pete and start the conversation from there, rather than being careful what we say so as not to spoil anything.    I think that's what watcher0363  is saying, anyway :)

• Love 2

It would be nice to have a place specifically to talk about the episodes where we'd be free to just acknowledge, for example, that we knew Jessie was probably not abusing Pete and start the conversation from there, rather than being careful what we say so as not to spoil anything.

You have a place to do that already—the comics thread.

My personal impression is that some people are bothered by how others are posting—and the only thing any of us can do about that is to block certain users.

Here's how: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/4121-how-do-i-hide-posts-from-weirdos-ignore-function/

You have a place to do that already—the comics thread.

My personal impression is that some people are bothered by how others are posting—and the only thing any of us can do about that is to block certain users.

Here's how: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/4121-how-do-i-hide-posts-from-weirdos-ignore-function/

The correct impression we are trying to give may be better explained through high school English.

There is regular English classes for those who know what they know for their grade level.

Then there is CP English for those trying to reach a college level of performance.

Then there is the AP English class where the students know all of the high school stuff and are already at the college learning performance level.

Some of us want an AP level episode thread. We have greater knowledge of the subject matter and would like to discuss it on that level. We could call it the Advance Placement Discussion Thread (APDT). Like Arby's has the MEATS! We have the KNOWLEDGE!

I further comment because, Damn it, my Suk Imperial Conditioning has been broken.

It should also be of note that the rules in the possible model, Game of Thrones, are pretty strict. Those in the know aren't even permitted to "like" posts in the unspoiled by book or tv threads for fear of that indicating correct speculation. And we really like our "likes" around here!

Yeah, and I don't want this area to become so heavily moderated and so nitpicky. I don't see the need with you guys, except in some cases. It should be fun posting here, not stressful (IMO).

To me the comic thread isn't more active because people are afraid it might have far future spoilers and because people don't talk about a specific episode because the conversation gets off that track

True. This is why I am leaning toward the existing comics threads to be comics ONLY, and a new comparison thread.

We know that people speculating in the episode threads aren't necessarily "wrong"
Comic talk is blatantly, inadvertently, subtly, in every topic on the forum.

The only reason you know they are wrong is because you know the spoilers :'). For the unspoiled/non comics readers, it doesn't stand out. But sometimes we guess right. I don't read the comics, but figured out the direction of some of the major plot points this, just from the hints on screen. Written another way: if you know what to look for, then you actively notice it (it just stands out). However, some people do end up posting information about spoilers too overtly. It's a fine line.

I see zero need for a separate topic for comics only discussion.

I disagree with that. I think in a lot cases, a comics only or book only thread is fun for people to have. Why not? We talk about movies in here, food, music, games, other non-TV topics here too. I think of it like an online book club for PTV. So that thread should/will stay for those who are interested.

Poll is tied now...Hmmm...

• Love 1

I think the real question is: do we need to make a distinction between only comic talk and comic vs show talk, and for now I am thinking no. Like maybe the only thing we really need is to rename the existing thread Comics vs Show: The same but different to make it entirely clear that the thread isn't for comic discussion only. If there ever comes a time where the comic fans are trying to really dig into something comic only and keep getting sidetracked by show injections then it might make sense to split out a comic only thread, but personally I haven't seen a need for that.

• Love 2