Type keyword(s) to search

Do We Need a Television vs Comics Thread?

• Start Topic

POLL CLOSED

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do We Need a TV vs Comics Thread?

• Yes
    • No

You have a place to do that already—the comics thread.

My personal impression is that some people are bothered by how others are posting—and the only thing any of us can do about that is to block certain users.

Here's how: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/4121-how-do-i-hide-posts-from-weirdos-ignore-function/

I'm in no way bothered by how others posted. And I explained why it's difficult to use the current thread. Not sure why the condescension or animosity over a forum thread. The question was asked by a mod, so I think it's valid to answer why we would or wouldn't like different threads rather then "use what's there, if you don't like it ignore it. I'll explain how since you obviously don't know". Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 1

I'm in no way bothered by how others posted. And I explained why it's difficult to use the current thread. Not sure why the condescension or animosity over a forum thread. The question was asked by a mod, so I think it's valid to answer why we would or wouldn't like different threads rather then "use what's there, if you don't like it ignore it. I'll explain how since you obviously don't know".

BrokenRemote it seems like a loss cause. I have explained it, you have explained it and a couple others have explained why we want the type of thread we want. It is not getting through. So this is my bad. I will withdraw the suggestion. However since we are allowed to create threads, There about 3 pages of totally probably never read anymore threads. I will come up with creative titles for each episode so we can discuss the episode the way we like. No one who does not want to discuss the show in that manner need not enter. I think for a while I will go with For Those In The Know: Chapter 16: Book 5; Episode title. After awhile shortening it to FTITK: Chapter X: Book X; Title. Putting book in the title should discourage a lot of accidental visitors.

• Love 2

I'll follow you comic folks to whatever thread (and that may be the way to go if HalcyonDays is on board); I think there will still need to be an understanding if comic talk beyond that book is allowed and if TV spoilers are ok. Both could be tagged and labeled as far as I'm concerned.

I'll follow you comic folks to whatever thread (and that may be the way to go if HalcyonDays is on board); I think there will still need to be an understanding if comic talk beyond that book is allowed and if TV spoilers are ok. Both could be tagged and labeled as far as I'm concerned.

Okay we will add Show Book: as in For Those In The Know: Chapter 16:Show Book 5; Episode title. After awhile shortening it to FTITK: Chapter X:Show Book X; Title.

• Love 1

The only reason you know they are wrong is because you know the spoilers :'). For the unspoiled/non comics readers, it doesn't stand out. But sometimes we guess right. I don't read the comics, but figured out the direction of some of the major plot points this, just from the hints on screen. Written another way: if you know what to look for, then you actively notice it (it just stands out). However, some people do end up posting information about spoilers too overtly. It's a fine line.

I disagree with that. I think in a lot cases, a comics only or book only thread is fun for people to have. Why not? We talk about movies in here, food, music, games, other non-TV topics here too. I think of it like an online book club for PTV. So that thread should/will stay for those who are interested.

Poll is tied now...Hmmm...

Yes, when I read something I know if it came from the comic, I'm spoiled. And I also know that when I see someone post book information in the general topics area, and I also see that same person posting in the spoiler threads, their leak is a spoiler. Personally, and I mean this with the utmost respect, I don't see how you can moderate a forum unless you are spoiled. How can you control spoilers when you don't know what to watch for? I'm spoiled, it doesn't bother me, but there are a good many spoilers getting into non-spoiler threads. And as others have admitted, spoiled people are toying with the unspoiled by orchestrating the conversation. If y'all are comfortable with that, fine doesn't bother me. But I think giving the spoiled forum members more threads to stimulate their discussions, the less likely they will be to go cause mischief in the episode thread and others.

More threads is really all we are asking for, why the resistance? Why the hostility? Is it such a big deal to make spoiled episode threads, and just delete them if they get no traffic? Several of us have explained why we think a spoiled episode thread would be good, instead you keep talking about giving us a separate thread to discuss the comic only, while all other comic-show related discussion gets dumped into one big shouting match. And what's the point of the poll? Is it so that the unspoiled can spoil the Spoiled Episode Threads for the spoiled?

I'm in no way bothered by how others posted. And I explained why it's difficult to use the current thread. Not sure why the condescension or animosity over a forum thread.

Yeah, this has always been a nice forum, til the ugly turn we got in response to a request for a couple more threads. I was surprised.

BrokenRemote it seems like a loss cause. I have explained it, you have explained it and a couple others have explained why we want the type of thread we want. It is not getting through. So this is my bad. I will withdraw the suggestion. However since we are allowed to create threads, There about 3 pages of totally probably never read anymore threads. I will come up with creative titles for each episode so we can discuss the episode the way we like. No one who does not want to discuss the show in that manner need not enter.

Power to the people, fight the man, viva la revolucion!

• Love 1

Yes, when I read something I know if it came from the comic, I'm spoiled. And I also know that when I see someone post book information in the general topics area, and I also see that same person posting in the spoiler threads, their leak is a spoiler. Personally, and I mean this with the utmost respect, I don't see how you can moderate a forum unless you are spoiled. How can you control spoilers when you don't know what to watch for? I'm spoiled, it doesn't bother me, but there are a good many spoilers getting into non-spoiler threads. And as others have admitted, spoiled people are toying with the unspoiled by orchestrating the conversation. If y'all are comfortable with that, fine doesn't bother me. But I think giving the spoiled forum members more threads to stimulate their discussions, the less likely they will be to go cause mischief in the episode thread and others.

More threads is really all we are asking for, why the resistance? Why the hostility? Is it such a big deal to make spoiled episode threads, and just delete them if they get no traffic? Several of us have explained why we think a spoiled episode thread would be good, instead you keep talking about giving us a separate thread to discuss the comic only, while all other comic-show related discussion gets dumped into one big shouting match. And what's the point of the poll? Is it so that the unspoiled can spoil the Spoiled Episode Threads for the spoiled?

Yeah, this has always been a nice forum, til the ugly turn we got in response to a request for a couple more threads. I was surprised.

Power to the people, fight the man, viva la revolucion!

I would have liked this post a couple hundred times, because you went there. Boldly may I add. Captain Kirking it.

It would be nice to have a place specifically to talk about the episodes where we'd be free to just acknowledge, for example, that we knew Jessie was probably not abusing Pete and start the conversation from there, rather than being careful what we say so as not to spoil anything.

You have a place to do that already—the comics thread.

My personal impression is that some people are bothered by how others are posting—and the only thing any of us can do about that is to block certain users.

Here's how: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/4121-how-do-i-hide-posts-from-weirdos-ignore-function/

I'm in no way bothered by how others posted. And I explained why it's difficult to use the current thread. Not sure why the condescension or animosity over a forum thread. The question was asked by a mod, so I think it's valid to answer why we would or wouldn't like different threads rather then "use what's there, if you don't like it ignore it. I'll explain how since you obviously don't know".

Wait, what?! Condescension? Animosity? That was not my intention at all. I apologize to everyone I offended.

I simply expressed my personal takeaway from this thread, then shared a tool that has helped me immensely with this particular board. It was a game changer for me, and I only just discovered it. I had no idea everybody knew about it but me.

Seriously, no condescension intended—it was enthusiasm that obviously did not translate at all.

Edited to add that on re-reading my original post (quoted above) I realize I created confusion by first quoting & responding to a post. I then went on to talk about my impression of the thread as a whole—it was in no way directed at BrokenRemote. I totally failed to make that clear, so I owe you a personal apology.

Edited by editorgrrl
More threads is really all we are asking for, why the resistance? Why the hostility? Is it such a big deal to make spoiled episode threads, and just delete them if they get no traffic? Several of us have explained why we think a spoiled episode thread would be good, instead you keep talking about giving us a separate thread to discuss the comic only, while all other comic-show related discussion gets dumped into one big shouting match.

I was hoping to get some feedback from everyone, get some ideas and come up with a nice solution for the majority, to satisfy both the comic fans, while also trying to deal with the spoiler issue, etc instead of merely dictating. I also want a solution that limits the low traffic threads and the overall number of threads. Clearly I was wrong in this train of thought. *sigh*  I should have been the "dictator" and crushed the revolucion.

So this is what we are going to do. We are going to have a ONE EPISODE trial run. This Sunday is the last episode for season 5 and I am sure will generate LOTS of conversation.

- I will create your "spoiled" episode thread for Conquer. This episode thread will be tagged with that RED Book Talk flag ahead of the title.

- The Comics threads will operate as per usual rules.

- Pre-Air Speculation thread will operate as per usual rules.

- The Actual episode thread will operate as per usual rules.

IF there is a post that you are "bothered" by in the regular episode thread, that you considered "pointless" or "has reached a level of farce", you will NOT report it. You will PM me a link to the post, WHY it is a problem, WHY it is "spoiling" others, why it is a 'farce' and WHY you think it belongs in a separate "spoiled" episode thread. All those who want to be involved, we will do this through one dedicated PM.

Actual blatant spoilers and bad behaviour, do report that, again as per usual.

The objective is to see what some of you consider a post that "ruins" the main episode threads. If this trial run is successful, if the "spoiled" threads get a decent amount of traffic and if the conversation are different enough to warrant two threads, then we will do this for season 6.

Thanks for your time and effort on this, HalcyonDays.

I'm a broken record, but is there a way to tag it as book spoiled vs TV? Not that there are many TV spoilers out yet for season 6. That's the only thing I need cleared up, because I like the idea otherwise. Thanks!

• Love 1

Thanks for your time and effort on this, HalcyonDays.

I'm a broken record, but is there a way to tag it as book spoiled vs TV? Not that there are many TV spoilers out yet for season 6. That's the only thing I need cleared up, because I like the idea otherwise. Thanks!

The flags are pre-programmed and only one can be picked at a time. So the choices would be Spoilers or Book Talk. So I can set the flag as Book Talk and just name the thread accordingly.

• Love 1

The only reason I can think of to have another thread like this is how people in the know went off the charts cray-cray over Rick/Jessie when the show had shown us nothing more then a nice lady helping the new people.  I don't think another thread will stop that in the future though.  *shrugs*