Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Welcome Mat

• Start Topic

Netfoot

Just a quick note to thank you for your "day in the life" posts. Princess Kimmie and I enjoy reading them together. She (as you might imagine) especially loves the Mo antics. She built a (non motorized) model plane and learned rudimentary aerodynamics because of your stories. Okay, mostly she crashed it, but you have to start somewhere. She likes learning about things totally foreign to mid-America and discovering the things that we have in common. She's also given mohawks to several of her stuffed animals.

We both hope that you will continue to share and that the next year finds you and Mo happy and healthy!

Edited by Schnickelfritz
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Schnickelfritz said:

She built a (non motorized) model plane and learned rudimentary aerodynamics because of your stories. Okay, mostly she crashed it...

Tell her we all crash our model planes. So she is in good company.

Right now Mo's mouth looks like he lost a fight with a hammer, but he does't appear to be in any discomfort, so there is that. He's hungry because he has not been eating his grub last few dys, but he ate his lunch, and demanded more, so things may be improving there.

1 hour ago, Schnickelfritz said:

We both hope that you will continue to share and that the next year finds you and Mo happy and healthy!

Everyone says I have a big mouth and don't know when to shaddup! And since Mo is the favourite person in my life right now, I guess I'll be talking about him a lot.

Will try to get a nice photo later this afternoon, but he moves so fast most photos are just a motion-blur with him disappearing out of frame...

Later: Mr. Fuzzy-face himself. 

20211228_140408.thumb.jpg.0303f694ea0969951c9908f565cbf2b5.jpg

(But who am I to complain?)

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 4

OK! Got short samples of Baby Blue, Goldenrod, Pink and Burgundy. Heated/melted the ends of each piece and fused them together. Mostly, they formed a strong bond with each other, but Pink, while it did fuse, formed a weak bond. Eventually, on the third try, I got the Pink to fuse strongly. So, good!

I then tied each colour with the other into a Mathew Walker knot. I find the Mather Walker is an easily tied, attractive (interruption! See below!) knot that can show off contrasting colours very well. Here is a photo that shows the various combinations:

6-knots.thumb.jpg.5243ab71aaa60776eed11085d20e9477.jpg

Now, I have my own ideas about these, but I'd be interested to hear any last comments before I start building Mo's next collar. Especially keen to hear if @Schnickelfritz's grand daughter is happy with the Pink/Burgandy combination at top center??

The interruption mentioned above: While I typed, there was a loud series of detonations from outside. I realized it was fireworks. Why there are fireworks when Old-Year's Night is still 3 days away, I have no idea! But I called Mo, and we ran out into the garden. 

For the next five minutes (maybe a bit more?) there was a very nice display of fireworks of all type, launched from the parking lot of the mall across the street, and clearly seen from our grassy yard. Try as I might, I couldn't get Mo to come and let me pick him up. instead, he ran around quite like the loony he is. Rushing off to hide when the explosions were loudest, and probably missing half of the display! Oh well, maybe we will see some more on Friday night.

Although, if the mall fireworks have been fired already, we will have to settle for fireworks from a much further distance. Some of the hotels down on the coast have good displays. If I could only figure out somewhere on the escarpment that Mo and I could drive to and see them clearly. Heidi's house would be favourite, but she has a house full of guests and I don't think I would be welcome at midnight. Assuming they aren't all out somewhere drinking champagne at some festive spot at that time! And I'm still unsure how she would greet Molasses...

ETA: Didn't use a green because Mo's current collar is green, and I want to move away from that colour for his next collar.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, Schnickelfritz said:

She's excited to see whatever you chose. (As am I)

If I had another D-ring, I could do one of each and he could alternate back and forth which one he wore any day.

Maybe I could make a D-ring? But out of what? Hmmm....

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif.effc9905716406fc7f740184e2849094.gif

(Trying animated GIF clip)

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 3

I'm going to start with a stupid question - why can't you use a D-ring from a collar Mo has outgrown?

Now that I see them together I actually like the blue/gold (bottom right) - colours of Barbados, right? Definitely no to pink/goldenrod (bottom left)

Otherwise you can't go wrong, although I admit the burgundy is darker than I thought (maybe just the light for the photo).

• Love 1
7 hours ago, luv2lurk said:

stupid question - why can't you use a D-ring from a collar Mo has outgrown?

Stupid answer - because I didn't think of it!

His original, orange collar which is now much too small for him is hanging around here somewhere, so...

Officially the national colours are ultramarine & gold. And gold (on flags) is the flag-name for yellow, as silver is the flag-name for white!

I could certainly dig around and come as close as possible to 'ultramarine' and do an outfit in the national colours for him. I did one like that for Budweiser when he was little... It's what he was wearing when he was dog-napped as a baby. I'll keep that thought in the back of my head!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, luv2lurk said:

Otherwise you can't go wrong, although I admit the burgundy is darker than I thought (maybe just the light for the photo).

Those photos were taken last night under artificial light. Here is the  spool of burgundy again, in direct morning sunshine:

20211229_080322778.thumb.jpg.5c8e3158c20066bb411cd2c296297042.jpg

Ok, I've tied the new collar, making it about 1½” longer than the current one.

20211229_203008450.thumb.jpg.82ad1621d5b80b29da17c7c89f1f9dca.jpg

I chose to have the Pink on the central spine, and the Burgundy along the edges. (On the inside of the collar, the colours are reversed.)

Unfortunately... Mo is highly distrustful for some reason, and I can't persuade him to let me try it on him to check the fit! He wants to eat it, but won't wear it. For this reason, the excess cord has not been trimmed off and ends sealed. Just in case I have to take it all apart and re-tie it little shorter or longer.

Tomorrow, I expect I will be able to persuade Mo to try it, then I will finish the ends and get him to pose for a beauty-shot.

Right now, he is sleeping on top of my desk, while I try to find something entertaining to watch on the computer.

One week, people! One week!

• Love 4
On 12/28/2021 at 11:48 AM, Schnickelfritz said:

She built a (non motorized) model plane and learned rudimentary aerodynamics because of your stories. Okay, mostly she crashed it, but you have to start somewhere. She likes learning about things totally foreign to mid-America and discovering the things that we have in common. She's also given mohawks to several of her stuffed animals.

I just think this is wonderful.  The positive power of the internet.  Thank you for sharing this tidbit @Schnickelfritz and thanks to @Netfoot and Mo for the day to day, play by play 🙂

• Love 4

Ok, so the collar fits perfectly - by which I mean it is big enough that he will have growing room for at least the next few weeks, yet small enough not to simply fall off his neck every time he shakes his head.

I've trimmed the excess cord and sealed the ends.

20211230_102610.thumb.jpg.747fdf531743a2276d8c02ce12df4849.jpg

Here he is modeling his new outfit. Actually, here he is eating a scouring pad from the kitchen (how in hell did he get hold of that?!??) While sitting on the back steps. Which are effectively the front steps since this is how we commonly enter & exit the house because they lead directly into the garage.

Anyway, not the best possible pose from the Man of the Hour, but then he has his own business that he is engaged in and couldn't care less about his fancy apparel.

He peed in the house twice yesterday, which is a disappointment, because he had gone three days without doing so, and I was hoping we were making headway in that direction. I'm probably tempting fate right here, but he hasn't done the other thing inside for nearly two weeks!

More photos of him in his new collar as the opportunity presents itself.

ETA: Wunnderful. My internet service just died. And since my landline phone is on the same fiber/router, the phone is dead as well. A call to the phone company brings the good news that a technician will call "today or tomorrow." Since tomorrow is it old-years, new-years day is Saturday, and the next day is Sunday, it's doubtful I will have internet back before next week at the earliest. So, offline for the next 3+ days minimum.  Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 3

It must be a Christmas Miracle!

Telephone Guy called to say he was coming, and 5 minutes later he was there! He came in, tested the fiber-line (which was fine) and said "I'm going to get a PSU from the van!" Two minutes later and the net was back up again!

I am genuinely shocked., I was sure we were looking at next week.

Mo was a little bemused at TG. He barked at him in a very commanding way when he first arrived. Thereafter he alternated between barking at him and climbing his legs for attention. TG complemented his good looks, and literally in minutes was waving goodbye to little Mo and heading out in his van.

Most amazing thing about the entire experience, is that from beginning to end, nobody insisted I perform the Three R's of MicroSoft System Support (Retry, Reboot, Reinstall). Which is a good thing, because MicroSoft isn't allowed in this house.

So! Back on the net. Very relieved. Dunno how I'd have handled 3+ days without access to pr0n...

• Love 3

Just popped into bed for a nap read, and Mo joined me.

20211230_152738.thumb.jpg.a33438dd00301698f9893e02badd0910.jpg

His teeth are looking much better than they did a couple days ago. Not red and sore looking in the gum-department, and no actual ivories that look like they would come flying out if he so much as sneezed.

And I think the collar is  attractive too, even if I say so myself! I sure hope Princess Kimmie approves.

Now, some background music to accompany the antics of Jaxom and Ruth. (I believe - Blessed Union of Souls)

• Love 5

This just in from Princess Kimmie. She LOVES it!

Now I have been tasked with getting the materials to make one for Blue (one of her cats). I have paracord but she doesn't approve of the colors. Don't think this will end well. He's a lovely mellow cat but... He generally isn't on board for Kymmie chaos.

Fair warning - she now views Mo (or MoMo as she calls him) as hers also. Hope you don't mind sharing virtually.

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, Schnickelfritz said:

She LOVES it!

Then it is a success. And I think it looks pretty good, too.

Now I have been tasked with getting the materials to make one for Blue (one of her cats).

Hmmm. These can be a bit stiff. Not sure how well it would work on a small kitty. But nothing beats a trial...

I have paracord but she doesn't approve of the colors.

You can buy the stuff on Amazon from a variety of vendors in lengths as short as 10 feet. Just shop around for a vendor that has exactly the colours you want. And try to get them all from the same supplier to avoid a combination of polyester and nylon.

You will need much less than 10 feet for a collar for a kitty. Mo's collar took two lengths of 8 feet, one for each colour. And even then I had 20+ inches to clip off each strand when I was done. His collar is 13¾" long, including the plastic buckle. I think it's unlikely a kitty would need something bigger than that!

I'd offer to do one for you, but international shipping would be a bit of a PITA...

Fair warning - she now views Mo (or MoMo as she calls him) as hers also.

I am happy to share him virtually with anyone who really appreciates him. 

• Love 3

It was 5:15 AM and Mo needed to pee.

Still too dark to go out without a torch, so I put on a pair of shorts (never go out into the garden without your pants on, no matter how late it is!). I switched on the torch. I took my Crocs down from a high place, where they are stored for safekeeping at night, and dropped them on the floor.  I put my right foot in the right Croc...

And then race out into the dark night, chasing a puppy and my other Croc! Had to pursue my Croc around the garden for a while, and finally caught up with it and put it on.

He did his business, but didn't want to come back inside. The sun would soon be up, so I left the door open and went back to bed. Five minutes later, like a bolt from the blue, he lands full force on my tummy...

Took him to the supermarket to get some groceries. The cashier asked how he was doing. I dunno how she even knew about him! The bag-packing girl came out with the groceries on a trolley. I opened the back of the van, to be met with a loud tirade of verbal abuse from a puppy who was not pleased at having been left in the car! He was standing on the back seat with his front paws on the backrest, and holding forth at full volume.

Two men in a car parked behind us and a woman in the car to our left were like "Woah! He is seriously pissed!" The racket continued until the van was loaded. I slipped the girl a note and slammed the back shut. The complaining didn't stop until I was in the driver's seat. Then the puppy jumped in my lap and demanded several minutes of cuddling before he would let me start up and move away.

The entire trip home, he lay on a towel between the two front seats, with his head under my left thigh, and stared into the foot-well. "Don't go in there, baby," I said, over and over again. Each such utterance was greeted by a tail-wag. 

Finally, we get home. I prefer to exit the vehicle first, so I can get a head start to the gate. Today, the little man jumped in my lap, pinning me to the seat, and demanded I let him out first. I opened the door... but he just complained that the jump was too high. Eventually he scooted under my thighs, and exited the van from the foot-well. I hopped out, made it to the gate and locked that sucker up, before any small person considered going for a hike. Returning from the gate, I saw that baby was back in the car, complaining again. What about this time? Oh. The smell of macaroni pie and a turkey drumstick was escaping from one of the shopping bags.....

Eventually, he got the mackie pie and quite a bit of the turkey. I had the remainder of the turkey and some homemade coleslaw. There was quite a bit of loud complaining when he finished his turkey and macaroni before I finished my turkey and coleslaw. It sounded like he was saying "Tax the Rich!" I gave him the remainder of my lunch to eat.

Now, I have to go and bring the groceries in from the van. Only I'm afraid to move from this spot, in case he starts hollering at me again.....

• Love 1

Screenshot_20220101-005128.png.8627f9655121434317c92c3e46acefc5.png

Happy New Year, everyone.

Mo and I are looking forward to 2022 because we believe that after the last two years, things have to improve. 

So, expect tales of puppy hi-jinks and some photos of "Motion-blur" Mo from time to time. And what ever happens, try to laugh at least once a day.

ETA: Even if you have to laugh at yourself!

Edited by Netfoot
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

Didn't sleep well last night. Closed my eyes very late, and was awoken early by Mo puking up in his crate. Turns out he got into the garbage and ate some stuff he shouldn't. Including the turkey-leg bone from yesterday. I found it on the front steps when I took him out for his early morning P&P. 

Went in mid morning and had a glorious 30 minute cuddle with him. He really gives great cuddles! But his face and front paws were well dirty. There was a lot of little bits of dried mud clinging to his hairy face and feet!

Went outside to play with him a minute or two ago and he danced around like a popped kite until I had to give up on catching him. Gonna go up to the club shortly for some fresh air, and will take a book because I dunno if anyone else will show up. Will try to get a cute photo or two, but no guarantees when it comes to Mo standing still for a camera. He is is worse than Buddy in that regard!

Speaking of Bud, I was thinking of him yesterday as 2021 drew to a close and found myself very upset at his passing still. Taken in his prime. And a good friend has suffered a loss -  their beloved family pupper passing away three days ago. The fact that she was elderly doesn't make it any easier to face when it happens.

Ok, off to the club! Where is Mo?

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2

Did I ever have this much energy?

20220101_161501.thumb.jpg.0f6587d0fbe03da7b7ddd4b50d5cb069.jpg

Unfortunately, nobody else has shown up. I guess there are a few hangovers recovering from last night! It isn't so late that it's inconceivable that someone could still come, but...

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

The collar is striking on him! 😍

Yes, it's surprisingly nice. Honestly, I wasn't sure about the combination. Then I saw them side by side when I tied the knots. And the final collar looks very nice indeed, I think! And (unlike the green one) I think I tied the entire thing without any errors, so that is nice too.

Nobody did show up in the end, so I packed the boy into the car and we headed home. Here are a couple of photos of him taking a very brief rest between his galloping around like a crazy person!

20220101_180132.thumb.jpg.c99bc17a63683035d84d35e018d49780.jpg

20220101_180340.thumb.jpg.af8ed42a4b562b2019f653e91b14fb23.jpg

I finished my book while waiting to see if anyone else would arrive. Actually, that finished the entire main trilogy of the Dragonriders of Pern. Next I will read Dragonsong, which is about how Menolly becomes a Harper. Chronologically, it falls between books II & III of the trilogy, but when reading these books I like to get through the trilogy without interruption.

• Love 5

On the way back from the club, we took the usual shortcut past the drive-in, and got stuck in a log-jam of cars going to the movies. It took us nearly 40 minutes to cover a distance of approx. 350 yards!

Spiderman and Matrix double feature. I hear the Spiderman is worth a watch although I usually don't waste too much time on the comic-book movies. But Matrix is utterly rubbish. I tried to watch it a few days ago, and just had to give up after about 35 minutes of gritting my teeth. And believe me when I say I'm a Matrix and KR fan!

Finally made it home, and Mo was hungry. I prepared a good meal for him which he polished off quickly, then sat there demanding morsels of my dinner. (He never offers me any of his...) Next, somewhat tuckered from racing around in the country all afternoon, he went off to sleep on my desk. 

Roused for his pre-bedtime walk in the garden, he came back inside in a playful mood, laying across my chest and playing with my fingers. But it wasn't long before he took himself off to sleep, leaving me to get started on Dragonsong, part one of the Harper Hall trilogy in the Dragonriders universe...

ETA: Less than a minute after ending my post, the sleepy puppy leapt up, ran to the front door and barked until I let him out. Ten minutes later and he hadn't come back, so I had to get dressed (remember what I said about pants!) and go find him. When he saw me coming, he charged, and leaping into the air, hit me in the stomach while fully airborne. He has been behaving in a most excited manner since.

I think someone slipped him some blues! Or gave him a whiff of Amyl.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1

Went up to the club again today, and was joined by three other members. A considerable amount of research on Austin's part has borne fruit, helping to explain why Rudy's engine is not performing as expected. It seems that it is fitted with the wrong carburetor. It is an unconventional type of engine. Most of what we use are Schnuerle ported, crank-case supercharged two-strokes, or conventional four-stroke designs with pushrod-opersted overhead valves. Rudy's motor is a rotary-valved four-stroke, that few if us are familiar with. That being realized, we then went looking for a Bajan in the UK (where the motor is made) to buy a replacement carb of the correct type, and bring it home.

20220102_221252.thumb.jpg.6faaccd3005b7dded317aa0ccf333ab3.jpg

Mo was his usual crazy self, running around virtually non-stop. If you watched the video I linked a few posts ago, he was like that but for three solid hours. Except for when he stopped to eat something. Like this piece of wood. Or a small, steel plate we have (one of several) for repairing the container.

During the afternoon I discovered something going on under one of his feet. It's either a large clump of something clinging to his hairy sole, or it is a growth of some sort. So far he won't let me look at it, but in a while when he gets sleepy, I plan to have a look. I've got a small torch right here for illumination.

This morning, we had a lovely cuddle. At that time he had a snaggly tooth in his mouth that was extremely loose. I went to show it to uncle Rudy this afternoon... and it was gone. The process of teething continues.

On the way home, I stupidly turned for our normal shortcut but I caught myself in time. When I got to the junction I could see cars cueing up for the drive-in again. Fortunately I spotted this before making the turn, and was able to hang a U-ie on the middle of the junction and escape.

Made a big pot of soup today and had a bowl for dinner. Chicken white meat in chicken stock, with onions, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes, sweet peppers, a little cauliflower, and mushrooms. Some garlic powder, cayenne pepper, a generous splash of Worcester, plus salt to taste. Oh, also cucumber and brussel sprouts. As the level on the pot declines, I will add other things to alter it's nature. For instance, some corn starch to thicken it, plus what ever the supermarket (or one of the roadside stalls) has in it. Such as leeks, pumpkin, plantains, sweet potatoes, yams, eddoes, dasheen, tanyas... Breadfruit would be great and it's in season too, but you can't buy a little bit of  Breadfruit. Only, I'm trying to avoid the carby things as much as I can, so it will really depend on what I can find. Also maybe channa? Or even a package of those pinto beans? Plus some additional meat. Maybe some beef? Pork? But not fish. If I'm gonna make a "fish braff" it will start as one and I won't mix any other type of meat into it. And there will not be any eyes floating in it. I hate when I look at my soup and the soup looks back!

I wonder if some curry powder would go well? I will wait until there is not much left before I try that. Would hate to spoil several bowls of soup, if that went wrong.

Anyway, puppy is looking pretty drowsy now, so I'll go try to look at his foot.

ETA:

The footy has a large, spikey burr between his sole and toes, entangled with some of his long footy fur. This is good news (no surgery required) but he won't let me remove it. The clump of fur will have to be cut off with the burr embedded in it. Unfortunately this will take more hands than I've got. Luckily it doesn't seem to bother him at all. So, he will just have to wait until I can get him in a more receptive frame of mind, or find someone to help restrain him while I go in and snip it off against his will.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Little toof that fell out yesterday is already being replaced!

20220103_142611715.thumb.jpg.0c78bec8e524666333a8d0d2f5360116.jpg

And no, the fang just below it is not broken, blunt, or anything but naturally sharp. It's some sort of artifact from the camera.

• Love 2

Took a glass of milk with me when I went to read my book. Poured a bit into Mo's little bowl and he enjoyed it so much I poured out some more. About four times over!

Funny thing. Each time I took a drink from my glass, Mo would subject me to 5-10 seconds of serious losing kissing on the mouth. Had to keep my lips firmly closed and use a little towel to clean the slobber off my face afterwards. Sip by sip, until the glass was empty. 

Now, I love my puppy, but this label level of puppy-love can become tiring quickly!

One good thing was that during one kissy-kiss moment, I slipped two fingers under his footy and gripped the knot of toe-fur with the burr in it. Some gentle finger-wriggling, and the burr came free. No need to clip the fur, no discomfort to the pupper. I'm not sure he even realizes what I did!

Speaking of my book, I just finished Dragonsong, first of the Harper Hall trilogy from the Dragonriders series. Next should be Dragonsinger, but I've searched high and low, and can't find it!

Now, I first started reading these books 45-50 years ago, but 30 years ago, I lost all my books in a house fire. (Lost more than 50% of my skin and almost 100% of my life too, but that's another story.) So the books I'm reading now, would have had to have been re-purchased since that fire. Could it be that I never re-purchased that particular book?

I'll search again, then try the second-hand bookstores tomorrow. Meantime it won't hurt to take a sabbatical from the weyrs, holds and halls of Pern for a short while.

ETA: Tunnel in the Sky by RAH.

(Speak To Me/Breathe - Pink Floyd)

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1

Late to bed. Spent the evening working at my desk. Mo came several times and whined plaintively at me. Took me a while to figure out why.

He wanted cuddles. He wanted to come and snooze on my desk where I could snuffle him a bit and stroke his fur. 

He was very glad when I finally came to bed. We had a really good cuddle before he went off to sleep in his crate.

Tomorrow we have a few errands to run. Including post-office, pharmacy and groceries. Might get him some mackie pie for lunch. It is also Book-tent day. They may have a couple books I'm looking for. Mo will want to borrow money from me to donate. Buddy used to do the same thing. He never paid me back, but he always made good in other ways. I will go to the Book Den as well, if I can't find what I want at the tent. 

Burnt the soup today! Warmed it and served myself a portion for lunch. Forgot to turn the stove off, and by time I realized it, the soup was much reduced and starting to stick to the bottom of the pot. There was only just enough left in the pot for my dinner. Strangely, it was delicious! But then, West Indians always did like "de bun-bun" so long as it wasn't too "bun."

• Love 2

Mo and I are back from this mornings travails. At times I thought we'd never be done. The whole world was out to see how big a delay they could introduce into my day! Example: I was 4th in the line waiting outside the post-office. When I got in, I was 8th in the interior line. For a single cashier. And the woman at the front was asking stupid questions about how stamps work, and whether the guy behind the counter would personally deliver her letter in Germany or not.

Anyway, bought a new mouse for the computer, took $300 out of the bank to add to the $62 already in my pocket, located a copy of the missing book from my Ken Follet trilogy ($5; got all three now), renewed my post-box for 2022, got some prescriptions renewed (except rat-poison, because it wasn't "due yet" so I will have to make a special trip to renew it tomorrow), stocked up on a few groceries, bought lunch including something for Mo, and loaned Mo a tenner to give to the Book-tent ladies. Most of the spending was done with plastic but by time I got home my wallet was left holding $0!. Yep, totally broke again.

I don't remember if I mentioned Mo and I meeting his brother Cooper at the vet a couple of times? Well it turns out that Cooper's daddy is the son of one of the Book-tent ladies! I never new!

I wasn't parked that far from the tent and when I returned with all the groceries Mo raised such a ruckus by way of greeting that the entire crew at the Book-tent was watching as we pulled off from our spot. I pulled up alongside the tent and wound the window down. At which point Mo proceeded to wrap every single female in striking distance, around his finger. Young and old, they were all entranced. Because all they could see was the cute, fuzzy face and not the evil genius within! (That's when I discovered about Cooper.)

Mo has many people fooled. I sent Dr. Kristi a photo of him sitting on my face and she thought it was very funny! I wonder if she would still think so if he was butt-surfing on her forehead?

Anyway, he's here in bed with me now, and if he looks like he's been rolling in the mud outside, it's probably because he was!

Now, time for RAH!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Young and old, they were all entranced. Because all they could see was the cute, fuzzy face and not the evil genius within! (That's when I discovered about Cooper.)

All the online admirers are also entranced.  Mo sitting on your head is very entertaining :D

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Very pleasant and sociable afternoon at the club, especially when one of our members who has been living overseas, arrived unexpectedly. Not seen him since before the arrival of athlete's foot. He's here for three weeks. It's nice to have him with us again. But naturally, we didn't say any such thing to him. More like "We once knew a guy who looked a bit like you. Only younger and not so fat!" "So, are you out on parole?" "Glad to see you! You owe me a fiver!" And so black n so on. (How do you type "so on" and get "so black n" I wonder?)

No photos of Monster, who broke his way out of his collar five times, and left the buckle permanently damaged. I had to work on it with a sharp knife to get it back sorta-working again. It's dangerous for him to run free when motors are running and props are spinning.

So, here is a photo of him taken earlier in the day.

20220105_204614.thumb.jpg.bb28dd32743cb924f0badf142cff1db6.jpg

He is developing eating two "baked Delights" which I've discovered are actually called "hugs." Stupid name for something to eat. But there ya go.

He is currently dozing on the desk right now, and I'm removing "sweethearts" from his fur. Not the actual heart-shaped ones (ok, bean-shaped) but similar. I'm combing them out of his fur with my fingertips. He was most angry when I put him down in order to eat my dinner. Because despite having eaten his own, he felt he should be allowed to eat mine as well!

We will be off to bed soon, because I'm tired. I will read until my eyes start to close. Got a thriller which will hopefully be entertaining enough.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2

I'm in that strange limbo-land where you're tired but can't get yourself to fall asleep. Laying here for 1:30 reading and nothing. Gave up and went for a warm shower with Mo coming along to check on me, and walking right into the stall with me. Had to protect him from the spray with my own body, as he paddled around in the water on the floor. Back to bed to find him drying his feet on my pillow. Then some (gentle) finger chewing before dozing off.

20220105_232104332.thumb.jpg.698f465fb9dc974370573b8b19ae3925.jpg

The new tooth I mentioned before is solidly in place now (green), while there is a new wobbler (red). It's very wobbly indeed and will probably fall out tomorrow. You can see the redness of the gum around it, and the slightest touch and it moves significantly. I could probably grip it lightly between two fingertips, and slide it out with the gentlest of tugs, without Mo even knowing. But of course, I won't do anything of the sort. Let nature take it's course.

Book seems interesting. Wife and daughter kidnapped, big ransoms paid. Waiting to see what happens next. Usually, after 62 pages, I'd have begun to form an opinion on what's going down, based on clues encountered so far. But not in this case. Can't decide whether the husband arranged the kidnapping to shake some money loose from the family accounts for his own use, whether the wife kidnapped herself to get walking money before leaving the husband, if they're in it together for some mysterious reason, or if they are both innocent and the kidnapping is genuine. If I can't get to sleep I'll probably find out before morning.

Little Mouse has now clambered right over me and is curled up against my back. In exactly the same place Buddy used to habitually sleep. I still miss that sweet boy so very much. Taken in his prime.

• Love 2

TAR is back! Won't discuss here, other than to say I'm a little sorry Mo's namesake got Philiminated so soon.

Only came to say that the wibbly-wobbly tooth is gone, and a new tooth is poking out. Mo celebrated by chomping on me for five minutes, then:

20220106_163425349.thumb.jpg.eea5babe428dd125259a3597dc841f3f.jpg

That was an old, but perfectly serviceable beach towel! He found it hanging out of the laundry-bag. First thing I knew, was a loud ripping sound. I pulled out the old bamboo back-scratcher that I used to threaten Bud with, but Mo wasn't terribly impressed. He does run away when I brandish it threateningly, particularly when it approaches his bottom. But he's soon back to re-engage with whatever mischief he was up to. If he decides to continue wickedly destroying things of actual value around the house, I may do more than just brandish it!

Mo isn't allowed in the kitchen, more to prevent myself faking falling over him when I'm carrying a pot of boiling water, or a pan of hot oil. But sometimes I forget to replace the barrier and he sneaks in and pinches stuff. Usually empty cans out of the garbage bin, but this evening I found a full can (diced tomatoes) out on the grass. I swear, I can't imagine how he got it there.

I lay out my medication three days at a time, into colour coded pill boxes. I was doing that this evening, when my hand slipped and I dropped a 5mg Warfarin tablet off the table. It bounced on the floor... And Mo struck like a cobra and caught it in mid-air. I jokingly call the stuff "rat poison" but the real joke is that it is rat poison. 5mg may not be a lot, but Mo is only a baby, so I was imagining Vitamin K shots and tablets, as I watched him heading for the door like a rocket. And lo! The pill fell from his mouth! He turned to grab it again, but I gave a shriek any banshee would have been proud of. Mo jumped back in alarm. (And at least one neighbor fainted. Probably.) I was able to recover the tablet intact. Phew. 

Right now, he is demolishing a milk carton. He drank some milk first and had a cute milk-beard, but when I pressed the button on the camera app, the device waited three seconds (or more) before firing the shutter. By which time Mo was in another parish...

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2

Was cooking lunch, when I heard the pitter-patter of tiny feet, fleeing from the kitchen! Where they shouldn't have been in the first place.

Caught a glimpse of the baby running up the passage, with a small tin can in his mouth. Tomato sauce. I had a pan of hot oil in one hand and a bowl of chopped veggies in the other, so I couldn't immediately give chase. Veggies into the pan, pan back on the fire...

Loud squeals of distress coming from the bedroom!!! I run up the passage, and Mo passes me going the other way, with the tin in his mouth, still squealing! About face, catch up to him on the steps. His bottom jaw is stuck in the tin. The tin is therefore stuck to his face, and he can't get it off! But he's trying hard and I'm afraid he will hurt himself. I grab him and try to get the tin off. He isn't cooperating. He has snagged his lower fangs on the folded-in lid of the tin! 

I hold him to my chest and with one hand, depress the lid. This frees those fangs. The tin can be gently worked loose and removed. Thank goodness this was a ring-pull tin, so the edges of the tin and the lid are nowhere as sharp and jagged as they could be.

There is some blood. Just a few drops. So I assume he has nicked himself. He doesn't like me checking his mouth, but I keep checking every minute for 10-15 minutes or so. No more blood after the first minute. 

Later he went out into the yard and took up a new hobby.

20220107_143920.thumb.jpg.faab4c40bd4cd7115bbb94f01643f9e0.jpg

Gardening!

I will continue to check his mouth for the next day or so. I don't want anything like an infection to happen, so I have to keep on top of it until I'm sure he is OK. 

Onion, sweet peppers, jalapeno, cucumber, mushrooms, carrots, tomato, pak choy, corned beef, garlic, red butter, Bajan seasoning, Worcester sauce, soy, and a couple drops of gravy browning for colour. And there is enough left to have for dinner!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 3

He's developed quite a liking for those Hugs thingies. They're probably laced with something highly addictive.

20220107_163147654.thumb.jpg.f69721aef783e494cca70a92fddc0a23.jpg

When you pull one out of the bag he gets very attentive!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2

Recently, I was doing a little rearranging, and ended up creating a pile of books where there had been none before. Mo took one look at the pile and began barking at them in a very aggressive way. He obviously was surprised to see them appear there, and didn't like the idea! He barked and growled and grumbled for over an hour before he decided to leave it alone!

Last night, Mo slept in the bed next to me rather than in his crate. He normally cuddles with me for a while, before going into his crate on his own. Last night, he never went into the crate and I didn't disturb him when I put out the light.

At 3:00 this morning, I was awoken by Mo barking in my ear. He wouldn't hush, so I opened the front door and took him out. We walked around the garden, he did a pee, and I disposed of a crapaud. I wandered back inside with Mo following, and waited for him to come inside so I could lock up. Instead of coming in, Mo visited his food and water bowls, then ran back out into the dark, prancing and playing! I whicled whistled and called, but no dice. Eventually, after more than half an hour, I closed the door and went back to bed.

6:00 and there is sudden, loud barking under the bedroom window. I go through the house and open the door. No sign of Mo -- I can still hear him barking under the window at the other side of the house. I whistled. The barking stopped, and seconds later a little black rocket-ship shot through the garage, up the steps, across the room and vanished down the passageway.

Back to bed, I was subjected to 10 minutes of very energetic play, with him clambering all over me, climbing into his tea-cozy position and (seconds later) walking over my face to get out of it, jumping on my tummy, nipping my butt, etc, etc. Eventually he calmed down and we cuddled sweetly until I drifted off again.

Just went into the bedroom to see what he was up to and he appeared magically behind me, and we had another 10-minute cuddle. Mo is a very good cuddler. Both Dotcom and Budweiser were cuddly as puppies, but not like Mo. And both those boys remained cuddly in adult life, but not to the same degree as when small. I hope Molasses retains some of his cuddlyness as he grows up.

So far, no more wibbly-wobbly teeth. The latest is looking very good, but no new ones. Do the long canine fangs get replaced as well? They seem as strongly attached as ever, and I've seen no sign at all, of them growing out to be replaced.

And no sign of any fallout from the tin can incident. What ever little nick he got that produced the 2-3 drops of blood has vanished. I don't see any sign of a wound in his mouth at all.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

Recently, I was doing a little rearranging, and ended up creating a pile of books where there had been none before. Mo took one look at the pile and began barking at them in a very aggressive way. He obviously was surprised to see them appear there, and didn't like the idea! He barked and growled and grumbled for over an hour before he decided to leave it alone!

Last night, Mo slept in the bed next to me rather than in his crate. He normally cuddles with me for a while, before going into his crate on his own. Last night, he never went into the crate and I didn't disturb him when I put out the light.

At 3:00 this morning, I was awoken by Mo barking in my ear. He wouldn't hush, so I opened the front door and took him out. We walked around the garden, he did a pee, and I disposed of a crapaud. I wandered back inside with Mo following, and waited for him to come inside so I could lock up. Instead of coming in, Mo visited his food and water bowls, then ran back out into the dark, prancing and playing! I whicled and called, but no dice. Eventually, after more than half an hour, I closed the door and went back to bed.

6:00 and there is sudden, loud barking under the bedroom window. I go through the house and open the door. No sign of Mo -- I can still hear him barking under the window at the other side of the house. I whistled. The barking stopped, and seconds later a little black rocket-ship shot through the garage, up the steps, across the room and vanished down the passageway.

Back to bed, I was subjected to 10 minutes of very energetic play, with him clambering all over me, climbing into his tea-cozy position and (seconds later) walking over my face to get out of it, jumping on my tummy, nipping my butt, etc, etc. Eventually he calmed down and we cuddled sweetly until I drifted off again.

Just went into the bedroom to see what he was up to and he appeared magically behind me, and we had another 10-minute cuddle. Mo is a very good cuddler. Both Dotcom and Budweiser were cuddly as puppies, but not like Mo. And both those boys remained cuddly in adult life, but not to the same degree as when small. I hope Molasses retains some of his cuddlyness as he grows up.

So far, no more wibbly-wobbly teeth. The latest is looking very good, but no new ones. Do the long canine fangs get replaced as well? They seem as strongly attached as ever, and I've seen no sign at all, of them growing out to be replaced.

And no sign of any fallout from the tin can incident. What ever little nick he got that produced the 2-3 drops of blood has vanished. I don't see any sign of a wound in his mouth at all.

I mainly lurk here but I must tell you that your stories these last few months have really touched my heart.  Puppy shenanigans are the best-except when they're the worst.

I'd like to think your Buddy whispered in Mo's ear at some point and told him you needed extra cuddles, and, although Mo doesn't listen all that well to you, he heard his big brother and is following orders.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

I'd like to think your Buddy whispered in Mo's ear at some point and told him you needed extra cuddles, and, although Mo doesn't listen all that well to you, he heard his big brother and is following orders.

Thank you for that thought. I've seen many parallels in my boys and I have at least one friend who is seriously convinced that Mo is a reincarnation of Bud.

I still think of Buddy often, and if I deliberate on him or spend too much time looking through his photo album, it can still bring tears to my eyes. He was a wonderful boy, taken too early.

Mo is a really sweet, fun little puppy, with a generous dose of mischief in his makeup, as all puppies should have. He complained bitterly as I ate my lunch a little while ago, and after he cleaned my plate for me (I had to leave a morsel of chicken for him) he insisted on being put up on my desk. From there he spent the next couple of minutes with his two front paws on my shoulders, giving me some seriously slobbery kisses! (Just checking that there were no tasty crumbs left in my moustache.)

Right now, I can hear crunchy noises from my bedroom, so I will have to end this and go see what he's destroying today!

So, I just happened to glance out the bedroom window...

20220108_175231.thumb.jpg.bd88e11afa26dc449b86575e4f7afe71.jpg

It's a dove. What we call a wood dove. Or at least, that's what it used to be. 

I gave him a shout, and prepared to run out to him, but like magic, he scooted around the house and three nanoseconds later, jumped into my bed. Dove and all.

He wasn't too pleased when I took it from him, but he didn't put up much of a struggle. All there was left were the two wings and some of the connective tissue. Head and feet were gone, along with most of the musculature.

How the hell he caught it, I just don't know. Bud used to kill doves, but only for the crime of entering his van uninvited. And their movement would be restricted in there. And he never actually ate them. But today, the van is locked up, and Mo hasn't (yet?) fallen in love with the van to the same degree as Bud.

Being a puppy-parent does have its moments!

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

All those needle-sharp puppy teeth will get replaced by grown-up teeth.

Well, that process hasn't started yet fro for the main canines. I'm sure I'd have noticed if one of them had gone missing for any length of time. Since a little front tooth takes a day or so to wobble it's way out and another day or two for the replacement to come fully out, I'm guessing the much longer fangs would take a comparatively longer time.

Edited by Netfoot

Went to the field, and Mo had a good run. Up and down without pause. I expect he will sleep solidly tonight.

20220109_192219.thumb.jpg.c1220cfbf68ec9f4ab6c49d9913020c4.jpg

Duncs season is late. We normally get to enjoy duncs all through December and in to January. This season, we only got edible duncs this week for the first time.

Naturally, Mo demands his share of the duncs...

Tell truth, I'm pretty tired myself. And I ate for lunch what I had planned for dinner, so I have nothing to eat, now! Could start stir-frying vegetables but just don't feel in the mood.

• Love 1