Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Wedding Deception

I realized watching this tonight that what they could have done to make it fresh and new was have them actually turn out to be gay.  It could have been a slow-burn storyline over many seasons - will they/won't they but instead of just baiting the audience forever (a la Sherlock) they actually do end up together.  Or would that be just too unlikely since they're both old and were married before?  Well anyway that might have made it a good show.  Right now it's just the same tired old sitcom plots but with lots of dustbusters and slobby clothes.

• Love 2

This is a plot Joe Keenan did a million times on Frasier and made it work ("The Ski Lodge," anyone?), but maybe he should have realized he also helped run it into the ground and left it behind.

My favorite character in the whole thing--rapidly becoming my favorite character on the show--is Emily, which doesn't speak well for Oscar and Felix, or the show.

• Love 3

Poor Emily. And what happened to tall blonde sister? Does she travel for work a lot? 

I didn't think Felix's ex was a bitch exactly, but I didn't like the casting choice and I didn't see any chemistry between the two to suggest that they were at one point a couple. Especially when he was trying to "dance" and couldn't move his hips - no wonder they have no children. Felix is just completely asexual to me. Not sure if that's a deliberate choice or just coming across that way.  

This show is so close to being a good show, but every time it reaches for that pinnacle they smack it away. 

Like here, we were about to defy every sitcom ever when Oscar sat the girl he is interested in down and explained what was going on. We're not dragging things out to ridiculous proportions because two characters utterly fail to communicate. Then they immediately switch to the exact same situation except this time with him being gay instead of engaged. Ugh!

The whole "two people unknowingly act like a gay couple" can be funny if it's done right, but when your characters are saying things they would never, ever possibly say it gets dumb.

There are plenty of good things here to build on. Oscar and Felix usually play well off each other. The woman neighbor (Emily?) is fantastic in her role. Though they haven't convinced me why she would be interested in Felix. Any scene is made better with Yvette Nicole Brown.

And how many times can Felix's neediness block Oscar from getting the girl and still be funny?

• Love 1

This is a plot Joe Keenan did a million times on Frasier and made it work ("The Ski Lodge," anyone?), but maybe he should have realized he also helped run it into the ground and left it behind.

The problem isn't the plot. Unlike most TV watchers, I don't mind the everybody-is-keeping-a-secret-from-everyone else sitcome farce. Yes, it's a cliche but it's a cliche for a reason, and when it's done right it can be amazing. Frasier remains one of my favorite shows ever.

BUT if you're going to do that plot, all the threads have to hold together. This didn't. There has to be a compelling reason for the characters to keep lying to each other. There wasn't. The second Ashley asked about Emily, Felix could have said, "She's just a friend. She just got divorced and wants to meet some new people." It resolves any conflict in seconds and has the benefit of being true. So the only reason Felix lies is to further the plot.

(edited)

Oh, ha ha--the gag I that Felix and Oscar are gay.  Ha ha.

I tried, I really tried to like this show, but it is so tired and clichéd that I was suffering second hand embarassment during the whole thing. Maybe 30 years ago this accidental "they are gay" would have been funny, but now  Jeez guys, what lazy writing.  And offensive.

Another picky point. If Oscar is such a slob, why haven't we seen any evidence of it?  Have we seen his room?  Has the living room of his apartment ever been a mess?  I can't remember.

Edited by One More Time

I thought this episode wasn't bad, but that was due entirely to Lindsay Sloan, who was fantastic.

I realized watching this tonight that what they could have done to make it fresh and new was have them actually turn out to be gay.

Or at least be Oscar, which would go against the stereotype of the effeminate gay man.
Another picky point. If Oscar is such a slob, why haven't we seen any evidence of it?  Have we seen his room?  Has the living room of his apartment ever been a mess?  I can't remember.

Very briefly in the pilot, but it was a very "set decorator" type of messy.  A few clothes laying about in odd places, like on a wall fixture, a scattering of food, including a sandwich that Oscar picked up, sniffed, took a bite from, then tossed over his shoulder to the HILARITY of the studio audience--who must have been drunk or something to explain why they found everything in the pilot hilarious when it was mildly funny at best.

That was one aspect the movie and original tv show nailed.  The messes in the pre-Felix part of the movie or the flashback episodes or scenes featuring Oscar's bedroom in the tv show really looked realistically filthy.  

• Love 2

That was one aspect the movie and original tv show nailed.  The messes in the pre-Felix part of the movie or the flashback episodes or scenes featuring Oscar's bedroom in the tv show really looked realistically filthy.  

I think the messiness is downplayed in this version is because if the apartment was as much of a mess as the original, Oscar would be seen as a hoarder.   That's why I think the apartment is slightly messy, but not to the extent of the original.  They still want Oscar to be seen as a slob, but not to the point it would be considered a  mental disorder, like a hoarder would be now with the extent of the mess in the original show. 

I also think that Felix's neatness is a little downplayed from the original show because they don't want him to be seen as OCD.