Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: The Bet

• Start Topic

Jake and Amy's competition for the most arrests draws to a close. Meanwhile, Charles receives the Medal of Valor, but the pain medication needed for treating his injury causes him to be a little too honest about what he thinks of his colleagues.

Come enjoy this Multiple Golden Globe Winning show featuring a Golden Globe Winning performance by Andy Samberg.

• Love 1

I pretty much loved all the scenes between Jake and Amy in this one, but a small moment that still gets to me is out invested that one criminal got over their "break-up", during the undercover bit.  Especially the end, when he was like "It sucks getting arrested, but I have to say I'm glad y'all are getting back together!"  I might be taking this scene way too seriously, but it made think that there might be hope for that particular criminal after-all.  He's a criminal, but not a complete bad guy!  He can be reformed!

Besides that, I still crack up over how badly Holt, of all people, blundered around Terry's wife, and even took a page out of Boyle's playbook with the fake text message excuse, complete with making a "BEEP!" noise.  It was just fun seeing Holt off his game, and Boyle actually fix the situation.

"The key is volume!" Amy Santiago at her most adorable, if you ask me. I love that she was just happily practising catching the nuts in her mouth (that sounds filthy... I'm sorry) while Jake was on the phone. And he returns to her claiming she's cracked it, and really she's just having fun with him. Great little moment in a great scene. In a great episode.

A really strong one for Jake/Amy, as friends, as partners and as a potential romantic pairing. They just work together so well, and they have that nice, unforced chemistry that makes me believe these two have known one another for a long while, and are familiar with their respective quirks and qualities. 

Boyle's truth talking was amusing, and the aching sincerity with which he said everything really sold it. I thought I wasn't going to like his character when the show started, but Joe Lo Truglio has really done a great job of making him likeable, even while making him something of an beta male sadsack.

• Love 1

Holt's dismay at how he steadily kept making things worse between Terry and his wife was comedy gold.  Turned into comedy platinum with "I believe I am getting a text message.  Bloop."

• Love 1
(edited)

I really enjoyed this one -- I'm kind of convinced that Andy & Melissa broke character when he started laughing at her "nut-catching" but it worked.  Also, love the running gag of the overly-invested perps -- criminals are human too!!  The repeated references to Jake's "crushing" debt were also hilarious, including the "... but it's all on credit cards so that's like $5 a month for the next 20,000 years!"

And the "I'm going to pretend I'm getting a text message.. Bloop" should just become a standard method of extracting yourself from an awkward situation.

ETA (several days later): I've just rewatched the first half of the season on Netflix (Canada - yay!!) and then read all of the B99-related articles here on Previously and was surprised that, in her posting on "The Bet", Tara says that the bet has not been mentioned since the Pilot.  That's just not true.  It's mentioned prominently in "The Slump" and the tally has been visible and increasing in every episode during the morning briefing.  Rewatching I was so delighted by these little continuity references -- the running tally and the fact that Jake does wear a tie (even when wearing a zippered hoodie!), among others.

Edited by dusang