Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Impala

• Start Topic

Oh don't you worry Mick Lady.  When I get my shit together be afraid....be very afraid.  I've been working on quite a little idea....

/rubs hands together...

Sweet dreams, everyone!

Hey Guys? Should I report this post? I'm....I'm kinda scared....

• Love 2

Only be afraid of my terrible writing.  And my further speculation that I'm mulling about s11.

I was afraid of this. I knew you'd come out with something on season 11! Just please, leave the Hamster alone! It could cause major problems for certain people on this board.

SueB, I'm going to need all your optimism on this!

I was afraid of this. I knew you'd come out with something on season 11! Just please, leave the Hamster alone! It could cause major problems for certain people on this board.

SueB, I'm going to need all your optimism on this!

On it!

• Love 1

I am NOT a Hamsterist!

Though we have had them, and we loved them. They are frighteningly short-lived, though, especially the really fluffy ones. It's sad to have them start going bald and getting tumors. :-(

• Love 1

I am NOT a Hamsterist!

Though we have had them, and we loved them. They are frighteningly short-lived, though, especially the really fluffy ones. It's sad to have them start going bald and getting tumors. :-(

Hee! Me thinks she doth protest too much!

No, but seriously, all through graduate school I worked at a pet shop. I fell in love with hamsters and guanine pigs! We've never had any ourselves, (Dogs and horses are enough! Darth alone checks in at 160lbs.!) but I have such fond memories of these little guys! They'd "chirp" when we came in in the morning!

No, but seriously, all through graduate school I worked at a pet shop. I fell in love with hamsters and guanine pigs! We've never had any ourselves, (Dogs and horses are enough! Darth alone checks in at 160lbs.!) but I have such fond memories of these little guys! They'd "chirp" when we came in in the morning!

Oh, that's so adorable!

My pet that "chirped" was a toad. And yes, that's why my icon used to be a toad, and yes, it shouldn't be surprising that I had pet toads, because well, I'm weird.* Anyway, I started with a female toad who I found as a tiny toadlet - she was so small I had to feed her termites. After a year or so, I found her a male toad as a companion. We had a landline phone that would ring and the male toad would sing back in response, so it was: phone ring - toad chirp - phone ring - toad chirp. I had those toads for about 6 years before they passed away. They made adorable pets, and were very easy to keep. When I'd feed them they would try to eat my fingers sometimes. I used to smile, because it felt cool and was funny to watch. They learned quickly "oh, that's her finger again / not edible. Sit back again and wait for the good stuff."

And you're brave with the horses. I have a likely irrational semi-fear of horses. I call them "big animals that can step on and/or kick me." Nope, nope, nope. And I tend to prefer little dogs to big ones... though of course big dogs often like me and just have to run up and sniff, slobber on, and jump on me no matter how much I say "No, no, go see my hubby over there. He likes big dogs," as the dog(s) continue to enthusiastically sniff inappropriately at ("I'm clean, dammit," I think), slobber on, and jump on me as my hubby looks on amusedly before finally deciding to save me.

* Now I only have some outside goldfish - which coincidentally also try to eat my fingers sometimes which also feels cool (though the biggest one will also fish version of "snuggle" too sometimes**, especially in the winter) - and some pet bugs (I know, I know.) I don't have time right now for any pets which take a lot of care.

** Semi-long story on how that started, and related to the finger nibbling. However the neighbor's terrier dog likes to "take a dip" in my small fish pond in the warmer months which often results in semi-traumatized fish and less nibbling and "snuggling" for me.

I love horses. We had a horse when I was young  but we had to give her up because as I got into middle school I didn't have time to spend with her and we boarded her about 3 miles from our house and that was just a bit far everyday.  She would only let me or my mom ride her.

Not that it quells your fears, Awesome, but she threw me into a barbed wire fence once because some idiots spooked her that didn't know anything about horses. Other than that never once did I fall from her. I ran her around race tracks at full speed and it was awesome.

• Love 3

I grew up on a farm and some days I really miss the ability to go grab a horse from the field and take off on an ride whenever the mood struck. I had me some good thinkin' times on the back of horse! But, then I remember, my little yard would probably only sustain a horse for a day or so and realize it's just not my life anymore.

I had a great many pets growing up...even had hamsters at one point! I don't remember how that got started or why we stopped, but it turned into quite and elaborate set-up for a while there. I was pretty young though, so I don't remember all the details too well. One of my fondest pets was a miniature Dutch rabbit named Fu Fu I was given when I was 8- or 9-years-old. He was all black with a little white ring around his neck. I would get so annoyed when my siblings would suggest (as a joke, of course) we should toss him in the washer with some Wisk to get rid of that ring-around-the-collar.

Ah, good times...

• Love 5

We currently have two dawgs, two cats, two bullfrogs, a box turtle who we've had for 20+ years, a slider, and a bunny in the basement. We had three cats, but I had to have our 20+ year old Siamese-mutt cat Piggy put down last winter...she was tiny and dainty and had the most horrible crawking meow. She had gotten to the point where she couldn't even eat moist cat food. ::sigh:: I miss her.

• Love 3

Thinking about it now, they do need to have some kind of auxiliary jack in Baby at this point, because wouldn't they want to be able to use their phones for GPS? Who wants to bother with those gigantic national roadmaps when you can just plug an address into your phone?

uh...dinosaurs like me. I personally don't ever use and kind of loathe GPS. But, you can just buy the GPS app for your phone and then put your phone on speaker--you don't need to run it through the stereo. I'd think Sam and Dean would be fairly well adept at driving around the country and wouldn't need GPS regularly.

Oh and this talk about cassette tapes made me think about the sole cassette tape I've ever owned, which iIrc is La Bouche. So now I'm listening to a La Bouche mix on YouTube and they are AS AMAZING AS I REMEMBER. Unexpectedly wonderful.

Ooooh first tape...Def Leppard's Pyromania when I was 9-years-old. There's a long story behind it, but still makes me nostalgic when I hear Def Leppard to this day. I'm old, so I owned a lot of tapes over the years. I actually still had a tape collection just before I moved the last time, almost nine years ago. Gave them to a friend who had an old Volvo with a cassette player.

We currently have two dawgs, two cats, two bullfrogs, a box turtle who we've had for 20+ years, a slider, and a bunny in the basement. We had three cats, but I had to have our 20+ year old Siamese-mutt cat Piggy put down last winter...she was tiny and dainty and had the most horrible crawking meow. She had gotten to the point where she couldn't even eat moist cat food. ::sigh:: I miss her.

Hey! We have a Desert Tortoise! His name is Gunnar and Mick found him hunting one day. His front foot was cut in half, so Mick brought him home. The local zoo wouldn't take him because they said (I swear to God) "The other tortoises would make fun of him." He's a protected species, so Fish and Game actually comes around once and a while to check up on him.

They just end up drinking beer with Mick and telling lies about their fishing prowess.

I hate losing any pet! It takes us weeks to recover.

• Love 3

I grew up with dogs and cats.  I don't like hamsters...well at least not as my pet.  They are fine to watch if someone wants to have them, but I will not own one.  I don't like their smell.

Big dogs know if you don't like them.  They will go jumping on you as there way of greeting you trying to make you change your mind.  Simple trick, pull your knee up and let them jump and hit your knee gently in the chest.  Most will stop.  Command them to sit and then pet them if you can.  It can't be a wimpy voice, it must be a strong voice. 

I had a grandfather that had Parkinson's disease really bad.  My dog named "Bozo" was a German Shepperd, Collie & Bird mix mutt.  My grandmother was out in the back yard with a white suit.  Bozo was jumping on her and she was really upset.  So we gave her a small stick and he left her alone.  Someone had beat him before we rescued him...

Anyway my Grandfather wanted to meet this dog.  I was really worried because his ability to stand was always shaky at best.  So I said okay and called Bozo over knowing that I would need to grab him to protect my grandfather.  However Bozo really surprised me.  He walked in, sat down and offered his paw.  Granddad shook his paw and he turned around and ran outside and proceeded to go back to jumping on my grandmother...She doesn't like dogs or cats.

That story always makes me smile and reminds me how smart animals are.  I never saw Bozo act that way again.  It did make my Grandfather smile too.

I don't have any pets right now...Star died several years ago and I just haven't been able to do it again.  Star was a short haired tabby with a bit of Maine Coon characteristics.  She was a stray I rescued and she lived almost 17 1/2 years.  She just lacked one month of making it.  I should have put her down a few days earlier, but didn't and she died in major pain in the house before I could get her to the vet.  

As a kitten she would fetch like a dog but once she lost the toy, that ended.  Even after I found another toy like it she wouldn't do it again.  She also loved high places.  I found her on top of the door as it swung back and forth; and she would just watch me.  The rascal. :)

• Love 1

MickLady, I had a dream about you. You had posted a picture of your neighbor's front yard, and I recognized it as being in some neighborhood in Albuquerque, and I spent an age walking the neighborhood trying to locate that yard and then figure out where you lived from how you took the photo. I never did find it, though.

Aren't you glad to know my stalker tendencies are limited to my dreams? ::bwahahaha!::

Then the dream wandered off into surreal land, where I heard that heavy, grainy chocolate syrup made the Very Best hair conditioner, and tried it out...

;-)

• Love 3

MickLady, I had a dream about you. You had posted a picture of your neighbor's front yard, and I recognized it as being in some neighborhood in Albuquerque, and I spent an age walking the neighborhood trying to locate that yard and then figure out where you lived from how you took the photo. I never did find it, though.

Aren't you glad to know my stalker tendencies are limited to my dreams? ::bwahahaha!::

Then the dream wandered off into surreal land, where I heard that heavy, grainy chocolate syrup made the Very Best hair conditioner, and tried it out...

;-)

Hey, I once used mayonnaise as a cream rinse, because some magazine suggested it! Don't do it, trust me!! It took me days to get it out of my hair!!

We're actually in very rural Idaho, after years in NYC. We love it, except for the republicans.( Sorry if I insulted anyone there.) Our neighbor (whom I adore!) is about a quarter of a mile away.

It's strange you mentioned Albuquerque though. Mick and I started watching (again) Breaking Bad tonight, so this is down-right spooky!!

I live about 30 minutes drive away from ABQ, and we're in and out of there all the time, so it features in my dreams on a regular basis. Not spooky on my end, more mundane! Sorry! ;-)

We tried watching Breaking Bad, and got 5 episodes in, but it was something hubs and I were United on not letting the kiddo see, which kind of put the kibosh on watching it. Very dark humor! And it was fun seeing places we recognized.

Hey AwesomO4000, I get your fear of horses. Oddly enough, I'm terrified of heights, yet my horse is a 17 hand Hanoverian named Amsterdam (Danny for short) and I think nothing of taking him over five foot fences. Mick thinks I'm inane, and it drives him crazy, but it's all what you're comfortable with.

I, on the other hand, am very frightened every time Mick heads out on his Harley. He has no fear, and that scares me to death! I'm much happier when I'm in the "bitch seat", because he's much more careful.

Omegamom, save Breaking Bad for when the kids are older and don't want to be seen with you, much less hang at home with you! I have a feeling you'll really like it! 

Late to the songlist but Dean would probably toss me out of the car if I played what I listen to: mostly folk with some folk rock. Okay so I also listen to the Metropolis soundtrack and Queensryche's Empire my point is Woody Guthrie, Phil Ochs and the Kingston Trio would probably kill him.

Dean would hate most of mine,

Lately it's been some alternative, light rock, country and Christian Kane and Keith Urban.  I have listened to Frozen and other musical numbers but have grown tired of them for now. 

80's is my fav but I wasn't a strong heavy metal. I find it ironic that I hated Country then, but now it's a main stay for me.  :)

Well, I guess I need clarification on what type of country music you're talking about. I think Dean would be okay with old country/folk/blues music because that's the birth of classic rock. But this "new" country is just pop music with cowboy hats, IMO, and I think Dean wouldn't care for that. 

I'm sure the eclectic music on my iPod would set Dean's head a spinning. I have Zepplin and Jethro Tull and, yes, I do have some Metallica. But I also have Diana Krall and Alison Krauss and Woody Guthrie and Muddy Waters and...It'd be funny to watch Dean's face while listening to my iPod. ;)

Oh, I think Dean is just as diverse as the rest of us these days.

He'd be fine through my classic rock and probably my Texas rock (Toadies, Bowling for Soup, The Vanished, Blue October, etc.), maybe even some of my BritPop (Blur, Gorillaz, Stereophonics, Travis, David Gray, Radiohead, etc.) but I know he'd never last through my "emo" music (My Chemical Romance, AFI, Panic at the Disco, etc.).

Sam might be cool with it, though.  ;-)

Dean watches Dr. Sexy M.D. That means he's been exposed to all sorts of alt and emo, and probably sneaks it when Sam isn't around. Not because he thinks Sam wouldn't like it--Sam is *all about* alt and emo--but because it just doesn't fit his image.

Eh. Sam mocked him for liking Dr Sexy with the 'Do you have menopause' line.  I think even if he wanted to share he'd get beaten back. But that's really show related. LOL. Probably best for the Music thread.

Well, I guess I need clarification on what type of country music you're talking about. I think Dean would be okay with old country/folk/blues music because that's the birth of classic rock. But this "new" country is just pop music with cowboy hats, IMO, and I think Dean wouldn't care for that. 

I started listening in the 90's to country to escape from rap.  I hate rap, well most of it.  I also listened to Christian back then.

So for country it was Allen Jackson, Tim McGraw, Keith Urban, and I like a lot of today's country The Little Big Town, Band Perry, which for me is like the old folk rock that I listened to in the 80's.  I have a wide range of music though.  My parents controlled the music and then my brother if he could, so I even like some old big band, and Spike Jones always made me laugh.

Theatre keeps me young but I'm not really that young anymore.  :(  I have to be a kid though to teach and unlike Dean I don't really care if people don't like my music.  I like some of his and have enjoyed the songs that Jensen has played at conventions.  I even like one of his friends, Christian Kane who also has a country album with a few hard rock songs.  It just depends on my mood.  :)

I've always hated country music, then I developed a strange affection for Trisha Yearwood. Go figure. Most of the time, I'm stuck in the 70's (NO DISCO!!!!) and 80's. I love rock, and am  a huge fan of The Clash and The Ramons. Spent a lot of time in my youth at CBGB's checking out new bands. Saw Blondie at her very first appearance.(Dreamin" is one of my favorite songs ever! God her drummer in unbelievable!) My family moved to the Jersey shore every summer when I was growing up, and my friends and I would hitch hike to the Stone Pony. Saw Springsteen there before he made it big.  But if you held a gun to my head and asked me to name my favorite song, I would say "The Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin. But don't hold me to it. Dean would be proud!

Mick loves the Blues. We have a portrait of Robert Johnson in our living room He also introduced me to Eric Johnson, the best guitarist ever!. Check out his "Cliffs Of Dover"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55nAwmVLQSk

Please give this a listen Guys! I'd love to know what you think!

Edited by Mick Lady
  • Love 1

I've always hated country music, then I developed a strange affection for Trisha Yearwood. Go figure. Most of the time, I'm stuck in the 70's (NO DISCO!!!!) and 80's. I love rock, and am  a huge fan of The Clash and The Ramons. Spent a lot of time in my youth at CBGB's checking out new bands. Saw Blondie at her very first appearance.(Dreamin" is one of my favorite songs ever! God her drummer in unbelievable!) My family moved to the Jersey shore every summer when I was growing up, and my friends and I would hitch hike to the Stone Pony. Saw Springsteen there before he made it big.  But if you held a gun to my head and asked me to name my favorite song, I would say "The Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin. But don't hold me to it. Dean would be proud!

Mick loves the Blues. We have a portrait of Robert Johnson in our living room He also introduced me to Eric Johnson, the best guitarist ever!. Check out his "Cliffs Of Dover"

Please give this a listen Guys! I'd love to know what you think!

Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven is my favorite.  Eric is good

I still love Keith Urban...that boy may do country but he can rock it on a guitar and sing at the same time.  I saw him live and it was fun to see how the trade guitars without missing a beat.

This one has a bit of his guitar playing around 4:36 One of his hit's "Stupid Boy"

I don't wanna go back to work!!!  We have a new principal and she won't allow us to wear shorts to work in our rooms.  This is a first for me in 25 years.  She's a macro manager...I hate bosses like that.  This is the bad part of teaching you get enough time off to enjoy it and going back is literally hell!  Plus I'm not a morning person...hoping I don't have any more stupid dreams.

Last night I felt like I went a round with someone.  I always dream stories if I do remember them.  For some reason I had a huge old falling down shed full of cats.  Kittens, old cats and sick cats.  Neighbors are trying to help me as they are coming into my house.  Anyway to make it even weirder, there are a few young babies and a few are like only 3lbs.  So I'm calling 911 and they say, so put their pictures on Facebook!  Then I woke up.  ARGHHHH  Maybe I should take my frustrations out on Dean....

• Love 1

We have something little heirloom black cherry tomatoes growing on our back deck. We really harvested tomatoes today. Hubby sliced up some standard plum tomatoes and a huge yellow variety (also heirloom), and I ate mine with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and chopped fresh basil. So good.

But. He didn't serve the little black cherry tomatoes, or the itty bitty yellow berry tomatoes. They were left in a strainer in the sink. So I ate them.

Oh. Em. Gee.

The yellow berry tomatoes were crisp and sharp and sweet, and I loved them.

But the black cherry tomatoes. Orgasmic. Ask my hubby. I was leaning on the kitchen counter moaning as I ate them. I can't describe the taste.

Oh. Em. Gee.

I love this time of year.

And I am so glad we can grow tomatoes again; we couldn't get anything worthwhile tomato-wise in our garden in Alaska. (We did, however, get the world's best spinach, lettuce, beets, beans, and potatoes. It's a trade-off.)

What about skorts or basketball shorts, 7kstar? Would the principal accept those?

He also introduced me to Eric Johnson, the best guitarist ever!. Check out his "Cliffs Of Dover"

Thanks for the rec! Nice song.

Does Mick like RL Burnside? I love his music. Maybe my favorite musician of all time. If you haven't heard him, his style was basically:  delta blues + hip hop. I mean, Burnside was an old blues musician in his own right, but he does things like *samples* other great blues songs. Someday Baby is amazing -- how he samples Muddy Waters somehow improves on (motherf*cking!) Muddy Waters. If you like Someday Baby but are new to Burnside, check out that whole A Bothered Mind album. Really nice album.

Blues is my favorite. But I also love hip hop (Everlast, Rhianna), old R&B (Blackstreet, TLC), neo-soul (the Heavy (or this song by the Heavy!), Amy Winehouse), any rock that is even sort of blues-adjascent (anything from classics like Led Zepplin to Alabama 3 (or this song by Alabama 3!))....

But the song on Throwback Thursday a couple weeks ago that got me rocking out so hard that I had to ask you guys for roadtrip playlist selections was, embarrassingly enough, Move Bitch (Get Out the Way). LOL. Terrible as it is in general, though, it's a fantastic song to drive to!

I like a lot of today's country The Little Big Town, Band Perry, which for me is like the old folk rock that I listened to in the 80's.

Band Perry's Better Dig Two is a favorite of mine! Another country song that I straight up love is Miranda Lambert's Mama's Broken Heart (that video is also hilarious/adorable). I love so many of her lyrics:

I cut my bangs with some rusty kitchen scissors

I screamed his name ‘til the neighbors called the cops

I numbed the pain at the expense of my liver

Don’t know what I did next, all I know I couldn’t stop

[...]

Wish I could be just a little less dramatic

Like a Kennedy when Camelot went down in flames

Leave it to me to be holdin’ the matches

When the fire trucks show up and there’s nobody else to blame

But tbh I don't like a whole lot of country. I was trying to listen to some again just the other day -- I was driving through Georgia and once the (really great!) hip hop station cut out, the choices of what to listen to on the radio were:  NPR, country, or preachers. I triiiiiiied country, but this song came on talking about how this girl was "homegrown" and doing that wistful/nostalgic thing that country songs do so often and I just couldn't (I switched to NPR). It's not that country music is bad per se, it's just that a lot of it seems too schmaltzy to me. And schmaltzy in this awkward, unrelatable way. So many of the songs seem nostalgic for a way of life I know nothing about and that doesn't sound that appealing anyway. I guess that's what turns me off of it!

Heh, I think Dean is a closet emo fan. He admitted to liking Taylor Swift....

Taylor Swift started out as a country music singer. Just saying :P

ETA:

I like rap, too, and was just futzing around on YouTube looking for good rap songs to post, and ended up re-discovering an old favorite song of mine. It's not rap! I just love it. So I figured I'd post it anyway, in case anybody else here likes it, too :) Jhene Aiko's The Worst.

Edited by rue721
  • Love 1

I like hip hop and rap. I think Eminem is effing brilliant, though listening to some of his songs on the radio is hilarious because so much gets blanked out. My main problem is that most rap/hip hop glorifies money, sex, money, money, money, sex. But dayum, there are some fine songs in terms of catchiness/rhythm/rhyme, etc. I love Kanye West's music (though I think he's personally a huge ass), I love Flo Rida, I would kill to have Rihanna's voice, and on and on.

And it often makes for good jumping off points to talk about values, and how just because you might want to fall into bed with someone because they're gorgeous, doesn't mean that person is a good choice for life, and brushing your teeth with Jack Daniels means you're a freaking alcoholic, and yadda yadda yadda...

;-)

Hey rue721 , thanks for the links! We're going to check them all out!

Omegamom, don't even mention tomatoes to me!!!! We have a bumper crop this year, and so do our neighbors, unfortunately. I can't give them away, short of dumping a bag, ringing the doorbell and running away! I've been canning like a fiend. I swear if I had everyone's address here, I'd be mailing you tomatoes.

Never had a black cherry, but next year I'll try them. Thanks for the heads up!

I love this time of year.

What about skorts or basketball shorts, 7kstar? Would the principal accept those?

Only coaches.  We can wear jeans but we have to wear our School shirts which are short sleeve and hot for me.  I get hot easily...so it's sleeveless for me unless I'm sick...if I say I'm cold most women are freezing.  Fact that is how I usually figure out I'm coming down with something its 74F degree in the house and I'm freezing.  During the summer I turn it down to at least 70 at night.

So Mick Lady has tomatoes like some people have zucchinis. We used to joke about sneaking onto the neighbors' porches at night to drop off baskets of zucchini. The "squash fairy" making her annual appearance. Someone on tumblr said that her church had advised parishioners to lock their cars during service, because people were breaking into cars to leave baskets of zucchinis. ;-)

• Love 2

So Mick Lady has tomatoes like some people have zucchinis. We used to joke about sneaking onto the neighbors' porches at night to drop off baskets of zucchini. The "squash fairy" making her annual appearance. Someone on tumblr said that her church had advised parishioners to lock their cars during service, because people were breaking into cars to leave baskets of zucchinis. ;-)

Oh I completely believe this! Here it's potatoes. Yeah, it's Idaho, I get that, but hell, total strangers will leave you potatoes! We grow zucchinis too, but Mick loves them. The problem is they grow so damn big!

The hus stop I waited for for the campus bus during college is in university student housing. They have an area set aside for people who want to have veggie gardens. During prime zucchini months you see bags of zucchini left at the bus stop with "please help yourself" notes.

I've always hated country music, then I developed a strange affection for Trisha Yearwood. Go figure. Most of the time, I'm stuck in the 70's (NO DISCO!!!!) and 80's. I love rock, and am  a huge fan of The Clash and The Ramons.

I love "London Calling."

As for country. I am very particular. I like late 70s to 80s country going into the early 90s. Garth Brooks, Hank Williams, Jr., Dan Seals (love), Dwight Yokum, Willie Nelson (love), Crystal Gayle, Old Brooks and Dunn, and I tend towards the amusing like "Tequila Makes Her Clothes fall Off" (not a dirty song and the Bon Jovi line makes me smile every time) or my all time favorite fun country song: You Never Even Called Me By My Name (The last verse is the payoff of what originally sounds like a cliched country song - that's the point). Other favorite country songs: One Friend Left (Dan Seals - one of hubby's and my songs), My Old Yellow Car (also Dan Seals. It gives me major feels, and I don't even drive.), A Thousand Miles From Nowhere (Dwight Yokum), and Long, Long Time (Linda Rondstadt).

My usual fare is classic rock, folk rock, some alternative rock, and weird stuff. I like some rap, but again I'm really picky, and it tends towards the lighter fare. Examples: Cypress Hill's "Insane in the Brain," Tone Loc's hits, some of Emimen's stuff, Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise," (And Weird Al's parody, in fact most of Weird Al's rap parodies: "White and Nerdy" especially - the video is brilliant), House of Pain's "Jump Around," and Nappy Roots "Aw Naw, Hell Naw (Country Boys)" - maybe worth a listen for those who haven't heard it, especially the chorus. Hubby doesn't generally like rap, but he loves this one and "Insane in the Brain."

I'd have a hard time choosing just one favorite song. I don't think I could. Maybe a top 10 or 20, but it would be pretty diverse, and likely long. And probably at least partially full of some sappy stuff nowadays... and some Bon Jovi. If you want to combine the two potentially here we go: Hallelujah (a polished version) or Hallelujah (not my video, but I was there), but I have a whole bunch of favs by Bon Jovi, so it was hard to pick one. For something a little different, there's "Right Side of Wrong" (one of his what I cal "story songs"). Two other favorites of mine: John Hiatt's "30 Years of Tears" and Keane's "Silenced By the Night" (I chose this one because I was about 10 seats or so to the left of where this video was taken), also tough to pick just one Keane song for me. If mellow's your thing here's a bonus Keane: "Sea Fog" (the pseudo bridge is worth waiting for, imo).

But I've got more typical favs too: "Behind Blue Eyes" by The Who, "Somebody to Love" by Queen, and "The Question" by The Moody Blues (who I also saw live with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra - amazing). Okay maybe that last one wasn't typical. Oh I also really like Three Dog Night, Simon and Garfunkle, and The Avett Brothers, and, and... shutting up now.

We have something little heirloom black cherry tomatoes growing on our back deck. We really harvested tomatoes today. Hubby sliced up some standard plum tomatoes and a huge yellow variety (also heirloom), and I ate mine with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and chopped fresh basil. So good.

I'm so jealous. We had 30+ beautiful tomato plants in our garden this year... and didn't get a single tomato. The squirrels ate every single one of them. With the heat, they're pretty much on their way out now. Damn squirrels.

Omegamom, don't even mention tomatoes to me!!!! We have a bumper crop this year, and so do our neighbors, unfortunately. I can't give them away, short of dumping a bag, ringing the doorbell and running away! I've been canning like a fiend. I swear if I had everyone's address here, I'd be mailing you tomatoes.

So damn jealous.

I'm so jealous. We had 30+ beautiful tomato plants in our garden this year... and didn't get a single tomato. The squirrels ate every single one of them. With the heat, they're pretty much on their way out now. Damn squirrels.

That's why we have them on the back deck--it's isolated; second floor, no way onto it except for the living room. We put them there to avoid bunnies, deer, and, during dry years, bears. The deer and bunnies regularly mow down things like echinacea and penstemon just before the blooms open. Bah.

Damn you people with your tomato-talk! I didn't grow any this year and am starved for them. Where I live, the produce sucks ass and is damned expensive. Tomatoes are my absolute favorite thing, though, I could eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Now all I want is a tomato...maybe I'll get my ass in gear and make a tomato salad to take for lunch?

Zucchini's are awesome too! I'm not usually a cake person, I prefer pie, but chocolate zucchini cake is one of my favorite things to do with zucchini. Do any of you grow the yellow round zucchini's? I love to stuff them with couscous.

I have to stop, I'm making my mouth water.

ETA: I could never pick a favorite song. I love so much music and so much of it depends on my mood of the day.

• Love 2

OK, based on our shared tastes, I think I might have found a band we can all agree on!

Who here doesn't like Creedence Clearwater Revival? :)

Edited by rue721
  • Love 1

I pretty much like anything.It really depends on the song or piece itself. Seriously. Classical, country(depending on the artist), hip hop, rap, indie, new wave, alternative, rock, 90s era alternative, jazz (although I don't like hard core jazz). My iTunes is pretty eclectic.

U2 is my favorite band if that tells you anything.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1