Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5: Wormhole X-Treme!

Sonny

We finally reached season 5 and I thought it was time to start a thread for it.

So far we watched the first two episodes, Enemies and Threshold.

Enemies: brings back the Replicators and Apophis dies again.

How I hate the bugs!

And knowing what's to come they grate even more. I still feel sad about the Asgard.

Though Apophis surrounded by them was kinda funny. His actor is really great. I can't remember, was this really the last of him?

Of course everything gets resolved in the end, except.....

Threshold: Teal'c is still brainwashed and we get some long overdue insight into his past.

I can't really warm to his wife, but I still think he should have brought his family to earth looong ago if he really loved them. Anyway, it was nice to see how he started to doubt his god and what he gave up by leaving everything behind. We even learned what Bra'tac used to do as first prime: Saving lives!

It was also nice to have the brainwashing last into this episode and not just have him miraculously cured. So we got to see how everyone cared about Teal'c and even General Hammond looked a bit nervous, if I remember correctly.

Can't wait for Wormhole X-Treme! It's one of my favourite episodes. I love that this show doesn't take itself so serious. I really missed this mix of fun, light-heartedness and more serious topics. They could have explored the serious stuff a bit more, but on the other hand I'm glad they didn't go the way of the spin-off that must not be named.

I'm thankful SG1 got 10 seasons!

• Love 2

Wormhole X-Treme, y'all!!! I'd forgotten Michael DeLuise had a part in this episode. Loved it all again, too funny!  

S5 is kinda a weird one for me. Not much to talk about, but yet quite a few I enjoyed a lot--Ascension, The Fifth Man, Wormhole X-Treme!, Proving Ground, 48 Hours, Fail Safe, The Warrior, Menace. And then there's Rite of Passage, Beast of Burden, Summit, and Last Stand that I just wonder what they were thinking. But such is the case for every season, I guess.

And, then Daniel dies--again--and seems like it's for reals this time. ::sniff::

• Love 1
On 12/26/2016 at 11:24 AM, DittyDotDot said:

Wormhole X-Treme, y'all!!! I'd forgotten Michael DeLuise had a part in this episode. Loved it all again, too funny!  

I just love the end of this episode -- "How could this not be a real show ?"

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

So I've been watching the reruns on Comet.  (And yes, I do have the entire series on DVD, why do you ask?) Is it just me or is O'Neill really angry this whole season? I also forgot how annoying Kinsey was, although Ronnie Cox was great in the role.

• Love 2
On 12/26/2016 at 11:24 AM, DittyDotDot said:

S5 is kinda a weird one for me. Not much to talk about, but yet quite a few I enjoyed a lot--Ascension, The Fifth Man, Wormhole X-Treme!, Proving Ground, 48 Hours, Fail Safe, The Warrior, Menace. And then there's Rite of Passage, Beast of Burden, Summit, and Last Stand that I just wonder what they were thinking. But such is the case for every season, I guess.

And, then Daniel dies--again--and seems like it's for reals this time. ::sniff::

I liked Summit and Last Stand (the second one a lot more). I liked the stuff with the to'kra and the stuff with Jacob & Daniel. I didn't like the stuff with the go'ald meeting. Which now that I think about it was all in the first one. So I guess I just like Last stand.

So, season 5, marginally better than season four - we get some nice character episodes for Teal'c in Threshold and Frasier in Rite of Passage - the former was very overdue and it was great to see Teal'c's history and the leadup to his turn in CotG.

Still, some pretty boring episodes like Desperate Measures, The Tomb and The Fifth Man although all of them have elements that are enjoyable.

We get bachelor number 4 (or is it 5?) in Ascension but he's basically Narim  with the creep factor dialled up to 11 - they keep saddling Sam with these terrible love interests and it's a slog to watch.  I guess the episode does set up ascended beings and "the rules" which become such a big part of the mythology later on, but jeez Orlin is just a creep (again with the blank affect!) and I wish they'd written better Sam-centric episodes.  

Speaking of Narim, at least he goes out like a boss unlike his fellow Tollan (with the exception of Omac) - but he too shows his creepy underbelly with Sam's voice as his personal home Siri - gross.  

There's some really great stuff in Red Sky, the SGC royally screwing things up in their desire to explore, bypassing dialing protocols and unintentionally dooming a planet. They get bailed out by the Asgard eventually, but I think it's one of the best Jack episodes of the season, from dealing with the Asgard High Council, the antagonist in the village, from trying to convince the rest of them that the Asgard aren't gods.

Of course, knowing that the Earth dialing program is flawed makes me wonder why they didn't immediately start negotiating with the Russian's for the DHD, but politics I guess.  It comes to a head in 48 Hours where they are very pat in dealing with that issue - just blow it up!

Beast of Burden was a standout, it was nice to see Chaka again and it was peak Daniel hair, as well as some nice character stuff for him and Jack - basically agreeing on the central issue but still being somewhat at odds.

And of course Womhole Xtreme - "am I getting paid real money?"  The outtakes were the funniest part of the episode but I enjoyed that it was a celebration of the crew and behind the scenes as much as the show itself.

Then we get to Meridian - if you're going to write off one of your main characters, this is a pretty perfect way to do it - tying into the ascended mythology and a natural progression of Daniel's character arc, while leaving the door open for his return.  I still question the wisdom of introducing your replacement character in the same episode, and not doing a very good job of making him likable - I know that later 

they handwave that by having Jonas trying to make up for his earlier cowardice by serving with SG-1 but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intent at the time.  

But I always enjoy Oma Desala and the arc of the episode with Daniel deciding to ascend as a culmination of what he's gone through the past five years is a good one.  

• Love 1

S5 is my favorite of all the seasons, probably followed by S2 (The Fifth Race alone makes it worthwhile). Damn Showtime: Wait 'til SG-1 is firing on all pistons and then cancel it. Grrrrr. As for Rite of Passage, I once (in a failed attempt to share my Stargate fascination) showed it to my wife, without any prior comment. Afterward, when I told her that the fans call it Cassandra Has Two Mommies, the words weren't even out of my mouth before she said, "Could they be any more obvious? That opening scene was way too cozy!" And many a slashfic got its wings.

• Love 1

I hated Wormhole Xtreme and didn't like The Fifth Man, The Tomb, Menace, Desperate Measures, as well as The Warrior and every episode after it. For me this is the season where the show started to lose its spark. The introduction of Anubis and Jonas really was the beginning of the end. Even when they got Daniel back the show wasn't quite the same. It became more and more meta (something I hated about Wormhole Xtreme), and started doing that thing so many scifi/fantasy shows and movies do where they feel the need to connect everything and explain everything.

It's an unpopular opinion but I actually liked Proving Ground (baby Grace Park!).