Type keyword(s) to search

Main Characters: We're Here To Help

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

This is not meant as blind defense of Noah Wyle. But "Crazy Days and Nights" has been known to make up shit, number one. And number two, I distinctly recall photos from Stringfield's second tenure where she and Wyle were filming outdoors. She was wearing Uggs (why I recall, I don't know) and these were not posed photos. A la likely tabloid-type lens type of photos. Believe it was actually between filming...

And Stringfield and Wyle were in some of these and were clearly laughing/smiling together, in conversation. So I call BS on all of this.

• Love 1

I have no idea whether that rumor is true, but this:

14 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

And Stringfield and Wyle were in some of these [between-takes candid photos] and were clearly laughing/smiling together, in conversation.

doesn't mean it couldn't be.  I'll quote writer/producer/show-runner Krista Vernoff's guest column in The Hollywood Reporter, because I just read it a few hours ago, so her specific language and examples are on my mind, and I'm feeling post-holiday lazy, so I'm just going to use them.  Quoting the arguments Brett Ratner's reps used to refute allegations against him, she dismantled the logic behind them.  (It's not specific to those people and those allegations, she uses them to speak generally, as I'm doing here.)  One was on using seemingly contradictory interactions between the parties to say alleged previous bad acts must not have occurred:

Ratner, through his attorney Marty Singer, "vehemently denied" Shahi's claims, noting their ongoing contact and providing copies of emails referring to him as a "Cutie pie" and signing off with hugs and kisses. "These overwhelming contradictions make the claims inherently improbable."

Okay, let's talk about overwhelming contradictions. When my powerful male showrunner asked me in front of a room full of male colleagues whether or not I was good in bed, I went on to invite him to my wedding. We kept in touch. I signed emails to him with x's and o's. Why? Because when women are dealing with powerful men who they know to be abusive, the first instinct, often, is to keep them on our sides. The first instinct, often, is to play nice, and to get along. And too often our instinct is to minimize the abuse we've experienced and our trauma around it by focusing on the positive attributes of our abusers. And yes, abusers often have positive attributes too because humanity is full of contradictions. Rapists and serial predators often have great minds and are great artists. When a woman has been hurt, she often pulls her abuser close. This is basic psychology. And when a woman has been hurt by a man as powerful as someone like Brett Ratner is in this town, she has nothing to gain by making an enemy of him and a whole lot to lose. So she often stays quiet and she stays friendly and stays in touch and signs her notes with x's and o's.

When abuse is ongoing, and a woman has a job to do, she also often "goes along to get along." By way of example, I was bent over tying my boot at a work party once and a very married studio head — who would ultimately help decide whether or not the pilot I was making got a pick-up — grabbed my hips, pulled me into his crotch and whispered, “Would it be wrong to tell you I’ve had dreams of you in this position?” I stood up, laughed awkwardly and said, “Um, as a friendly reminder, I don’t drink so I’m gonna remember this in the morning.” He grinned. I laughed. It was a one-time thing, it was a work party, everyone was drunk, it didn’t feel threatening, it just felt gross. But imagine that these kinds of things continued and that eventually I did need to report it? That guy would definitely have emails from me signed with x’s and o’s.

Taking it a step further, a friend of mine recently told me that after she lost her virginity to date rape as a teenager, she went on to have consensual sex with her attacker (just like Asia Argento says she did with Harvey). Why? She says her logic at the time was, "If I can make him my boyfriend, maybe I'll feel better about this whole thing." Of course, men don’t hear these stories often. We women mostly save them for each other. But I think it's time we all hear them and hear them free of any accusation or conflicting interest so that we can stop and think the next time someone tries to discredit and dismiss abused women by pointing out “contradictions.”

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

doesn't mean it couldn't be.  I'll quote writer/producer/show-runner Krista Vernoff's guest column in The Hollywood Reporter, because I just read it a few hours ago, so her specific language and examples are on my mind, and I'm feeling post-holiday lazy, so I'm just going to use them.  Quoting the arguments Brett Ratner's reps used to refute allegations against him, she dismantled the logic behind them.  (It's not specific to those people and those allegations, she uses them to speak generally, as I'm doing here.)  One was on using seemingly contradictory interactions between the parties to say alleged previous bad acts must not have occurred

I get that, too. But if Wyle did "abuse" Stringfield, would she come back knowing she was going to be in story with him? Then there is the matter of Mr. A "struggling for work" after the "big show". While Falling Skies and The Librarians are not high profile, it says to me he isn't "struggling", but working steadily as actors do. I believe Wyle was/is a producer on one or both of these shows he worked on, too.

I like gossip as much as anyone, but this makes zero sense. While Stringfield is not high profile now, even I don't think she would return to a show where she was allegedly "abused" (and what type is never made clear here). She was doing guest stints and, I believe just had her first child when she came back for S8.  And, romantic or not, the characters maintained contact through the rest of the series. If something as bad as is insinuated happened here, causing Stringfield to flee in S3, the rest makes ZERO sense. I don't care how much money is involved.

So my opinion stands. This makes no sense. I'm more prone to believe the burnout from the long hours Stringfield claimed. And she did have a steady boyfriend (not the guy she married) when she left, whom she claimed she wanted to spend time with.

• Love 2

If it's true, whatever he did to her the first time around would not mean it would make no sense for her to come back to the show (she has bills to pay and work she wants to do, so there's sense right there, on top of the other myriad reasons one could have in such a situation), or to be seen in moments of cordial conversation with him.  So while I have zero reason to believe it's true because I have no idea who the source is nor do I know anything about either one of them off-screen, I also have zero reason to believe the fact she returned to the show, was put into a storyline with him, and/or was seen chatting with him during filming means it isn't.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

I also have zero reason to believe the fact she returned to the show, was put into a storyline with him, and/or was seen chatting with him during filming means it isn't.

But the fact that she returned to the show, and one of her first storylines was a romantic fling with him, is a pretty big omission from a sensationalist gossip article. Also the implication that Bo Derek killed his career, when he's still working regularly on TNT/TBS shows. The blind item only used details that benefited the story they were trying to tell, which is why I think the article is bullshit. But you raise a good point, just because the article glossed over Sherry's return doesn't prove that she and Noah had a good relationship, or that he's not an asshole (I know nothing about Noah Wyle outside of John Carter, so I have no idea what his reputation is like.)

So, I'm almost exactly midway through my series bingewatch ...

I wasn't quite sure if he would be classified as a main character or a guest star, but after watching "I'll Be Home For Christmas" last night (S8) and waving farewell to Benton and his family, I was curious to find out if Matthew Watkins, the actor who played Reese, stayed in "showbiz" and came across this page ... 

Bravo, Matthew!!!!! 

https://meritpages.com/MWatkins

• Love 6
19 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

So, I'm almost exactly midway through my series bingewatch ...

I wasn't quite sure if he would be classified as a main character or a guest star, but after watching "I'll Be Home For Christmas" last night (S8) and waving farewell to Benton and his family, I was curious to find out if Matthew Watkins, the actor who played Reese, stayed in "showbiz" and came across this page ... 

Bravo, Matthew!!!!! 

https://meritpages.com/MWatkins

Wow!  Good for him!  Reese was always adorable, turns out he's a smart cookie, too.

• Love 3

Going back to the Noah Wyle/Sherry Stringfield thing, I'm watching ER for the first time and as I watch I look up interviews about certain things and one thing I noticed with Kelli Martin is that Noah Wyle has admitted in multiple interviews for treating her terribly. He says he regrets it because he didn't realize her sister died a week before she joined the show, but at the time he let fame get to his head and treated her badly. He also forced them to end the Lucy/Carter romance. With that in mind it makes me wonder if the Stringfield rumors might actually be true.

On 6/16/2021 at 5:08 AM, KnotsLanding said:

Going back to the Noah Wyle/Sherry Stringfield thing, I'm watching ER for the first time and as I watch I look up interviews about certain things and one thing I noticed with Kelli Martin is that Noah Wyle has admitted in multiple interviews for treating her terribly. He says he regrets it because he didn't realize her sister died a week before she joined the show, but at the time he let fame get to his head and treated her badly. He also forced them to end the Lucy/Carter romance. With that in mind it makes me wonder if the Stringfield rumors might actually be true.

The blind item is nearly 4yrs old and nothing came of it. The biggest names of ER were just in the reunion with Noah and Noah's about to start the Leverage reboot which I think will be his third show post ER. He was a dick to Kelli Martin, it's confirmed, but Sherry has not said a word even in the MeToo era. If Noah outright abused her I feel like the cast would be really isolating him now.  That blind item described whoever it was as a sociopath and abusive, being a dick to someone doesn't make you a sociopath even if it's not good.  Forcing them to end the Carter/Lucy romance was in part because it looked terrible that Carter was with his med student, and he was right. 

• Like 1