Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: The Record Keeper (Bridgeport WV)

None of these cases are ever not sad, but this one was a bit extra heartbreaking.  The story the niece told of Kyle, the victim, giving her a quarter for her son's birth, was touching and sad.  From what was presented, the younger cousin probably did kill him, but the proof is thin.  But what was worse is that the victim probably would have given the douchebag money (I think there was enough evidence to conclude the younger cousin was a douchebag) had Kyle had it to give.  We saw pics of the victim's house...he didn't have anything to pawn, no life insurance, and he delivered newspapers in a small town.  It was beyond senseless to kill the man.  I wish they could have turned the screws on the older cousin a bit more than a McD's conversation. 

• Love 7

Yeah, this one more than most looks like a non-winner. All of the 'good' testimony (i.e. the exes) could be handled by a competent defense attorney, There doesn't seem to be a good records trail to support what these ladies say -- no bank, no phone, no receipt from a car cleaning place. Maybe the prosecutors assigned will be able to fill in those blanks. But I don't see an indictment from here, let alone a conviction.

• Love 1

I was surprised, too, that Kelly seemed so positive on this one. (I hardly remember Yolanda other than the recreation scene!)  It seemed weak. I think KB knows exactly what happened. What an awful burden to carry - but I'm thinking it would be lighter if KB turned his son in. I'd always be wondering who sonny boy would turn on next - perhaps someone keeping his secret?   Such a kind, gentle victim. I hope he's delivering the Heavenly News to all the other sweet souls.

I hope next week we get a nail-in-the-coffin, send-him-up-the-river case.  I need one.

• Love 4

Jack McCoy's taken cases to trial with less circumstantial evidence than this one. I think the low-life cousin/nephew did it. But man, too many people with Kyle in their name. I would make a WV joke but I have a lot of friends who live there. :)

I cried when the woman told the story about the quarter. Every family has someone like that gentle man in their family. If they're lucky.

It seems like the detectives who initially handled the case dropped a lot of balls. The car seat being cleaned...who cleaned it? What chemicals were used? Blood droplets anywhere in the car? The yellow shirt... was it burned? Where? Dropped off at the local dump? Fingerprints on the pruning shears? Bloody fingerprints anywhere? Just a lot of unanswered questions.

• Love 7

They did need the dad to turn on his son and I don't think that's ever going to happen. I think Karl definitely did it, not even for the money but just to release the pressure valve on his life. I guess the good thing about this show is that even when they can't prosecute the person, what was once gossipy whispers turns into a full fledged outing. It's going to be less easy for Karl and his father to eat at McDonalds and wonder whether or not their coffee is spit free.

• Love 7

The car seat being cleaned...who cleaned it? What chemicals were used? Blood droplets anywhere in the car? The yellow shirt... was it burned? Where? Dropped off at the local dump? Fingerprints on the pruning shears? Bloody fingerprints anywhere? Just a lot of unanswered questions.

I had the same questions. But I think rather than dropped balls, many times these are just cases of inexperienced law enforcement officials. It seems like many of the cases shown here are in very small towns, where "this kind of thing" really, truly never happens. (Was it this week's or a previous one, where law enforcement actually told Kelly this was their only murder case?) And I think especially in a small town, it would be hard to rattle a lot of cages, knowing you were direct neighbors with the suspect(s). Kids go to the same schools, the same church, shop at the same grocery, bowling leagues, etc.

That said, however, after watching enough cop shows on TV, even I'd have thought to look for car cleaners, the yellow shirt, etc.  It was interesting that the ex-wife suddenly had a flood of new information. What was she saving it for? Or had really, no one thought to ask her in the intervening years?

Sad sad sad.

• Love 4

Was it this week's or a previous one, where law enforcement actually told Kelly this was their only murder case?

Yeah, this one. I think Kelly's point to the nieces that the detective put away his pride to consult them may have been a nod that the original detective (tbh, I don't know if it's the same guy or not) may have been too proud to ask for help first time through.

Yep, I have to agree that inexperienced investigators hurt this case. It's pretty clear that the young cousin is the guy who committed the crime. Why else would KB be so reluctant to speak to the police? And while there is a lot of decent circumstantial evidence, and a lot of lying by the suspect, I don't think there's enough to get a conviction.

It's going to be less easy for Karl and his father to eat at McDonalds and wonder whether or not their coffee is spit free.

You'd hope so, but that's not always the case.

I grew up in a place that had a small but noticeable contingent of mob families, and they were more often than not treated like honored guests. Everybody knew they had (varying degrees of) blood on their hands, but they weren't shunned -- quite the opposite. Now, I suppose part of that is fear-based (like, you don't want to piss off Carmela Soprano if you can avoid it), but a lot of it was just plain old envy. Envy of their power, envy of their disregard of social convention, and that they were Getting Away With It, Alpha-male adoration, maybe? I don't know.  I went out on a date with a boy once, and learned over the course of the evening that we were being tailed by employees of his Wiseguy grandfather (He had a different last name; I hadn't even known he was related till then). That put an end to the evening for me, and the boy was. just. mystified. Why wouldn't I be flattered by the gesture of protection? Which certainly suggested he was unaccustomed to my ewww-nope! response.