Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E17: Julianne Moore, Cuba Gooding Jr, Michael Flatley, Bill Bailey, Gregory Porter, Laura Mvula

• Start Topic

Among the guests on Graham's sofa are actress Julianne Moore, Oscar-nominated for her role in Still Alice as a professor with early-onset Alzheimer's, Oscar-winning star of Jerry Maguire Cuba Gooding Jr, talking about the Martin Luther King movie Selma, American-born Irish dancer, choreographer and musician Michael Flatley best own for the show Riverdance, English comedian, musician, actor, TV and radio presenter and author Bill Bailey, Grammy Award-winning American jazz vocalist, songwriter, and actor Gregory Porter and British soul singer-songwriter from Birmingham Laura Mvula.

This episode aired only last night. I almost stopped watching when Julianne Moore described acting in a scene from her new movie "with the wonderful Kristin Stewart." Is she contractually obligated to say that?

Must be.  Kristin Stewart is the thing that keeps me from seeing this movie. As a wise person once said "Texting with someone who doesn't use emoticons is like being in a room with Kristin Stewart."    Stewart's own appearance on Graham solidified my opinion of her.  She's dead inside.

I've only know Kristen Stewart from her picture on magazines, never seen her in a movie prior to Still Alice, she was wonderful in Still Alice.  And I'm not contractually obligated to say that :)  In a previous interview JM mentioned how her husband directed a pre-Twilight KS many years ago, she also mentioned how she and KS already had a pseudo mother/daughter relationship which added texture to their performances in Still Alice.

Okay show but boring, JM is understated, CG Jr doesn't really have anything new to say and I've never been a fan of Bill Bailey, but I did enjoy the Riverdance performance.

Okay show but boring, JM is understated, CG Jr doesn't really have anything new to say and I've never been a fan of Bill Bailey, but I did enjoy the Riverdance performance.

I felt sorry for Cuba Gooding Jr. Is his part in "Selma" very small? Because his clip was basically a trailer for the movie. I thought he was pretty funny though, and suitably shocked when Julianna Moore explained "minge" to him (I had to look it up). I needed my closed captioning on for Bill Bailey, but he had some funny segments. 

What was the male singer wearing on his head? It wasn't just a hat, almost like he was wearing a fitted hood or something. 

Liked the Riverdance segment too. The guy from the audience tried to keep up, and I thought he was doing OK. The girl just didn't bother.

Looks like the singer was wearing a balaclava or something like that. He was also wearing it in his album cover photo.

I like Bill Bailey. I think he's funny, interesting, and smart. I would like to see those short films with Emma Thompson.

Cuba Gooding Jr? I feel sorry for him. He's like at the top of the list of actors whose careers have gone nowhere after winning an Oscar. I was surprised that he had been on The Dating Game. I'll have to look that up.

Michael Flatley seems like a very charming, nice, dignified man. 

the singer was wearing a balaclava

Which is certainly more comfortable, one would think, than wearing a baklava -- which is what my brain first thought you wrote. Sticky!

(edited)

Looks like the singer was wearing a balaclava or something like that. He was also wearing it in his album cover photo.

Which is certainly more comfortable, one would think, than wearing a baklava -- which is what my brain first thought you wrote. Sticky!

And when I first read it, I thought isn't that a Russian stringed instrument? (Of course, balaika is the musical instrument.)

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1