Type keyword(s) to search

The Great Sport/Comic Relief Bake Off

• Start Topic

It looks like Comic Relief will be on February 11th. There's an official promo now and I'm pleasantly surprised that I actually recognize some people. Joanna Lumley, Jennifer Saunders, Michael Sheen and David Mitchell are all fabulous gets. I think the video lists the broadcast date for the Extra Slice special, though, not the beginning of the four part series.

Digital Spy has a list of the lineups and challenges.

Edited to fix date.

Edited by halopub
  • Love 1

Squirrel count: 1

Okay, the judges were super positive and diplomatic. I was so pleased that anxious Joanna Lumley got strong marks for her cookie's flavors. I would have loved that giant monstrosity back in college. And I wonder how Jennifer Saunder's cookie tasted with the maple syrup and bacon.

Plus those all those fruit tarts looked surprisingly edible.

Saunder's cake concept cracked me up and it fun to see her, with the messy hair, disrupt her competitor's interview at the end.

More whippings, beatings and burnings than you'll find in a season finale of Game of Thrones.

I would have preferred Mel hosting this one over Sue. That GoT joke was painful!

I've never really gotten Dame Edna's humor, except for maybe her appearances on Ally McBeal, but kudos to her making a post-retirement appearance for a good cause.

I might skim through next week's episode. I only recognize Jonathan Ross and I don't know if I'd enjoy him hamming it up in this setting. 

Edited to add: I'm not going to link to it, but other people have posted the show to the usual online places outside of iPlayer.

Edited by halopub
  • Love 2

Thanks Halopub, I occasionally crack the iplayer's geoblock, but the method is very unreliable, so was happy to find it in the usual places. :-)

I was expecting this to be hilarious, and ahem, it wasn't, but I did enjoy the recipes. I generally love the Dame's Australian satirical humor, but not sure Barry could be bothered to make the effort for the tent. Jen is so down to earth, and for me, she is platinum coated A list, I think she would have lasted a couple of weeks in the real baking show as well, such a talented lady. I would have have attacked Lulu's doggie shortbread with gusto!

I also recognized Zoella from youtube next week, not that I'm a fan!

Edited by shandy
  • Love 2

I've just realized - they've changed venue for the Comic Relief Bake Off - no baa baa black sheep, more suburban. I hope they go back to that wonderful location they are showing on PBS for the new season of the mainline version. 

I would have preferred Mel hosting this one over Sue. That GoT joke was painful!

I was telling Mr. Wager that Sue being around really funny people really makes it apparent that she is not funny. at. all. And why was she helping the contestants?

I was laughing through out this whole episode. Jennifer and Joanna were extremely hilarious. I like when Joanna ripped her special cookie corner away from the host's hand when she tried to eat it. 

Lulu was unintentionally funny, that square baking pan was constantly around her arm. 

I've seen Dame Edna before, but never paid attention. Her "bakes" her really, really gross, but she kept exclaiming how scrumptious and delicious they would be. 

Jennifer's Edna cake was pure magic.  

At one point Paul looked like he was afraid to sample the bakes. 

Jennifer and Joanna were wonderful together. I did laugh in bits. Jennifer's stuff all looked fun and her hair looked more and more wild as the episode wore on. Her husband Ade Edmondson won Celebrity Masterchef a couple years ago too. A talented household in any case.

I've just realized - they've changed venue for the Comic Relief Bake Off - no baa baa black sheep, more suburban. I hope they go back to that wonderful location they are showing on PBS for the new season of the mainline version. 

They've been changing the estates once a year or every two years. Not sure where they were for this special.

Jonathan Ross looked like he was crap on purpose because he thought it was funny. Perhaps this explains his entire career.

I thought he was funny. The Chinese guy was annoying. Mystified why Mary wanted bright red custard in the cream puffs / profiteroles...bleurgh.  Loved Mel being helpful!

Edited by shandy

Mystified why Mary wanted bright red custard in the cream puffs / profiteroles...bleurgh.  Loved Mel being helpful!

I just assumed it was meant to reflect the Comic Relief red nose. But yeah, it didn't look particularly palatable.

• Love 1