Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Nashville Son

• Start Topic

Lawson seems to be a nice, hard-working guy, bur in my opinion, he's not going to make it as a singer. I'm not an expert on country music, but I would have to say that I think Amy Duggar did a better job with her singing than Lawson did. When that female singer joined him, there was no comparison, she was head and shoulders much better than

he was. 

I liked the garden idea. The only thing I'm wondering is if they started this in the fall, will they have enough time to grow all those vegetables before winter? Tennessee gets

pretty cold and the growing season is probably over by mid-November. 

I just like this family so much more than the Duggars.  I'm not sure whether or not Lawson can make it in Nashville, but I give him props for trying.  The rest of the gang seems so much more natural and normal than the Duggars.  These are parents who are involved with their kids.  And cute that they frequently call on Chad for help!

Edited by Ilovemylabs
  • Love 2

Even if he doesn't make it as a singer, Lawson can do great things on the writing side. This family is just adorable and normal to me. Love it. I am glad they aren't pushing religion on the show as that would make me turn the channel in a heartbeat.

• Love 3

I liked that the family was sort of a mixed bag regarding Lawson and his singing. They pretty much all said he was good, but some thought he was great (mostly Mama Bates) and others pretty tactfully said that they thought he was fine, but he is good at a lot of things blah..blah...blah. I thought Lawson was okay, maybe if he had more vocal training he would be better. I thought his voice had a nice tone to it, but I am not a country music fan.

I think the Bates family has more personality than the Duggars. I feel like the kids tease and mock their siblings and parents. They even respectfully disagree with each other. It always seems to be good natured teasing, but it seems more natural than the Duggars and their repetitive talking points. I also feel like the Bates kids have different distinctive personalities and various interests. The Duggars either downplay the kids personalities or have painted them all with the same brush. The Duggars seem much more subdued.

I did love the little boy (cannot remember which one) who said "I love carrots." It was just the way he said it that made me laugh.

• Love 3

What I also noticed was during the garden discussion, they talked about acknowledging everyone's opinion & ideas.  Plus knowing when it is no longer a productive discussion & someone is getting their feelings hurt or taking something personal, they wind up the talk & acknowledge/deal with the hard feelings.  We saw it when Kelly told one of the boys that they were "giver" this time & maybe next time they would get to be "takers" (on the winning side) and that it would all even out eventually. 

I think they come across as more normal than the Duggars because they acknowledge that they aren't perfect, the kids aren't perfect, rules aren't perfect and life is a constant give & take flow.  The Duggars are perfect unicorns & rainbows with smoke & mirrors that no one is buying anymore. 

• Love 4

I agree too about getting everyone's opinions about the garden. It reminded me that whenever the Duggars do something, it's Jim Bob that gathers the family around for a meeting and says, Hey Guys, I decided we're going to do this...with no input from anybody else. 

• Love 3