Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

Hey maybe we can get a bathroom scene with Crest product placement.

Unfortunately for Crest, just as Castle and Beckett are about to grab the toothpaste handily placed in prime viewing position they'll be an interruption.

• Love 1

Carmen Ll. @Jaggers77  ·  10 hrs 10 hours ago

Thank you @MollyQuinn93 & @NathanFillion for your time.I can go back happier to Spain

https://twitter.com/Jaggers77/status/578348792728039424

Sounds like the one they're filming now (which I believe is Dara's effort) is going to have a bit more father/daughter time. I know some fans are worried because they've heard on twitter that Stana took some days off from this one but it's difficult to know what's happening given the various sets that can't be spied upon so it's all speculation/gossip as usual. 

Edited by verdana

Not sure if this casting news was already been posted but it popped up on my dash regarding "In Plane Sight" which is 7.21

"Nick Greene will play the role of Ayman Haddad. No other details are currently known." (Spoiler TV) 

Nathan's charity:water campaign this year.  Donate $10 for a chance to hang out with him and Alan Tudyk at a con. 

https://my.charitywater.org/nathan-alan

Seamus plugs his indiegogo here and talks a bit about the upcoming Ryan centric Castle episode:

http://bitesizetv.com/VW4RB1ZNPKrV/play

He touched on the apparent popularity of Castle with moms and grandmas, and said he believed it was because they were interested in the mystery and solving the puzzle.  Um, I'm in neither demographic, but I really don't think it's the mystery on Castle that keeps viewers watching!  ;)

Just being linked to any "mythology" takes away its specialness and is a turn off for me.  SO tired of the M-word!  

Agree with verdana that I want the episode to be of the funny, romantic and sweet variety if they are trying to do something special rather than an angsty one dragging up some previously completely unmentioned and uncharacteristic bit of Beckett's past like a forgotten marriage or an ex for example, ugh.

Seeing a glimpse of the set in the first sneak peak for the upcoming Ryan centric episode just goes to show that they could have done a JB fundraiser gala scene anytime they wanted to, but they just didn't want to.  They could have Caskett dress up and go to such a kind of party but they can't find any reason for them to do so either. ;)

So the bottle episode being filmed right now sounds like Alexis (and Castle?) being stuck on a plane while a crime is committed.  Reminds me of an Agatha Christie novel.

• Love 1

Seeing a glimpse of the set in the first sneak peak for the upcoming Ryan centric episode just goes to show that they could have done a JB fundraiser gala scene anytime they wanted to, but they just didn't want to.  They could have Caskett dress up and go to such a kind of party but they can't find any reason for them to do so either. ;)

So the bottle episode being filmed right now sounds like Alexis (and Castle?) being stuck on a plane while a crime is committed.  Reminds me of an Agatha Christie novel.

I haven't watched the sneak, not that there was much to miss by the looks of it but yeah they could have easily done something like that for Castle and Beckett. May be next season if it is the last, they'll start giving fans all the various things they keep asking to see as they have no reason to keep holding things back. 

I'm not sure how thrilled some fans are going to be with the idea of an Alexis/Castle episode (if that's what it turns out to be), many were permanently put off by their outing together in Fathers and Daughters. Whilst prior to that episode I would have looked forward to it now less so. I don't want to see Alexis treating her father badly again, although the writers don't see to look at it that way. 

madmaverick. I'm not in that demo either and I agree with you I don't think that's the reason they're watching, the mystery element seems the least interesting and weakest part of the show. 

From TV|Line:

Matt Mitovich has updated his answer to the question with quotes from Amann. Nothing really specific, apart from the mood they're going for:

Do you have any scoop on Castle‘s 150th episode? Anything special fans can look forward to? –Sandra

UPDATED! This just in, fresh from showrunner David Amann: “Obviously, the 150th episode is a milestone for the show but it also directly precedes the season finale. At this point, we intend Episode 22 to be a buoyant, classic episode of Castle, while [the finale] will focus on compelling, high-stakes story-telling surrounding Castle and Beckett mythology.”

Matt Mitovich has updated his answer to the question with quotes from Amann. Nothing really specific, apart from the mood they're going for:

Do you have any scoop on Castle‘s 150th episode? Anything special fans can look forward to? –Sandra

UPDATED! This just in, fresh from showrunner David Amann: “Obviously, the 150th episode is a milestone for the show but it also directly precedes the season finale. At this point, we intend Episode 22 to be a buoyant, classic episode of Castle, while [the finale] will focus on compelling, high-stakes story-telling surrounding Castle and Beckett mythology.”

Translation - Completely out of character over the top melodramatic silliness.

• Love 1
Seeing a glimpse of the set in the first sneak peak for the upcoming Ryan centric episode just goes to show that they could have done a JB fundraiser gala scene anytime they wanted to, but they just didn't want to.  They could have Caskett dress up and go to such a kind of party but they can't find any reason for them to do so either. ;)

Yup, they love throwing excuses around about not being able to do stuff for budget, but it is clearly all BS.  All they need to do is have Caskett coming home dressed up talking about something.  No expensive sets, just a dress/tux that costs the equivalent of one nice coat.

So the bottle episode being filmed right now sounds like Alexis (and Castle?) being stuck on a plane while a crime is committed.  Reminds me of an Agatha Christie novel.

Sounds like fun, but why not Castle and Beckett getting stuck on the plane?  I am not interested in Alexis playing Nancy Drew.

I really don't get what anyone is talking about when they say some storyline is mythology.  Guess it is just some writer buzzword.

It is, but it's a really stupid buzzword.  Mythology makes me think of all the old Greek and Roman myths I had to read in 8th grade.  And is this Beckett mythology different than the arc about what Beckett wants in her future?

Translation - Completely out of character over the top melodramatic silliness.

Got that nailed.

I wish they would forget the idea of doing anything dramatic and "high stakes", let the finale episode end in a truly satisfying upbeat way rather than introducing something as a cliffhanger which will have me wondering what Marlowe was smoking when he thought that up. 

I don't wish to preach violence but I'm getting to the stage where I'm constantly imagining punching Amann in the face every time he mentions "mythology" in interviews. For the love of God stop it! 

And is this Beckett mythology different than the arc about what Beckett wants in her future?

I'm a bit confused about that too. I thought there was the one about her career/family but perhaps they're planning another one to spring up right at the end. I don't know if I can cope with three mythologies running around what with no guarantee that Castle's mythology sorry "vanishing" will be sorted out by then. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

Not certain if the official press release for this one got posted so here it is:

Castle: Habeas Corpse (3/30)
Beckett and Castle enter the world of colorful personal injury lawyers when one of them is murdered

“Habeas Corpse” – When Richie “The Pitbull” Falco, a larger-than-life personal-injury attorney is found dead, Beckett and Castle investigate the many clients and competitors who had motive to kill him. But the mystery deepens when they discover a shocking secret that may be linked to Richie’s murder, on“Castle,” MONDAY, MARCH 30 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

From Spoiler TV.

Castle
The penultimate episode of the season, titled Dead From New York, features a murder at a Saturday Night Live-esque show called Saturday Night Special. ABC is casting the roles for the lead anchor (male, 30s), a former matinee idol in his 60s who is the host for this week and the head of the production company (male, 50s) of the murder victim. Could one of them be the killer?

Castle Sneak Peek: Is Beckett 'Making a Difference' in the World? at TV Line.

Castle and Beckett sneak this time. 

I find myself more than a little annoyed at the idea this is pushing that cops can't have an affect on people. Does Beckett honestly think her work solving murders all these years hasn't touched lives in a positive way? I feel like season 1 Beckett knew this better than season 7 Beckett does. To me, this is unnecessary angst and retcon to push Beckett's new story arc as we move toward the season finale. Sigh. 

Raina Reveals: Exclusive Spoilers and Teasers - 12 Monkeys, Chasing Life, iZombie, Scorpion, Shameless & More at Spoiler TV

7.22 is going to be called Dead from New York

I'll post the article on the spoiler page.

Sounds similar to season 2's The Late Shaft. 

• Love 1
I find myself more than a little annoyed at the idea this is pushing that cops can't have an affect on people. Does Beckett honestly think her work solving murders all these years hasn't touched lives in a positive way? I feel like season 1 Beckett knew this better than season 7 Beckett does. To me, this is unnecessary angst and retcon to push Beckett's new story arc as we move toward the season finale. Sigh.

You took the words out of my mouth!  Beckett finding justice and/or closure for victims of crime as a police officer is a very meaningful way to make a difference and Beckett's always known this, it's a reason why she became a cop and became the cop that she is.  Tempted to roll my eyes now, but If this anvil is prelude to Beckett deciding to take on a career in politics to "make a difference" in the finale, I really will be rolling my eyes then.  Beckett looking for career advancement in the NYPD or in other law enforcement agencies makes sense to me; a switch to another career in order to make more of a difference doesn't quite ring true.

And c'mon, Castle must have been with Beckett while she examined the personal effects of a victim a million times by now.  This dialogue felt more appropriate for the second ep of the first season when Castle realized Beckett had to find the victim's contact info from her purse and call the next of kin than coming in S7 after they've worked a million cases together.  Writers really need a lesson in subtlety with dialogue when they are trying to push a plot.

Was waiting for a charity: water plug in that scene.  I mean, if they are going to plug a Buick, I wish they could plug a charity that really makes a difference. ;)

Murder scenarios feeling recycled again.  And for the 150th ep too. 

• Love 1

But wasn't the DC arc all about being able to make a difference in more than just individual lives? Murder cops may affect lives, but working at the national level could potentially save thousands and she chose her personal ethics over playing the games necessary to succeed at that, so in a way she's back where she started. And it's reasonable for her to think that giving closure to one family at a time is not the same as saving entire villages from death by disease. I don't find it illogical that this triggers the same need that drove her to DC in the first place.

• Love 3

You took the words out of my mouth!  Beckett finding justice and/or closure for victims of crime as a police officer is a very meaningful way to make a difference and Beckett's always known this, it's a reason why she became a cop and became the cop that she is.  Tempted to roll my eyes now, but If this anvil is prelude to Beckett deciding to take on a career in politics to "make a difference" in the finale, I really will be rolling my eyes then.  Beckett looking for career advancement in the NYPD or in other law enforcement agencies makes sense to me; a switch to another career in order to make more of a difference doesn't quite ring true.

I don't think they're hinting towards politics - I would imagine that she's pretty burned on politics both after finding out that a government conspiracy killed her mom and that the government can really be more a hindrance than a help (after her stint in DC). I'd be disappointed if they went that way. All Beckett's said so far is that she imagined herself in more of a leadership position by now.

That aside, I kind of get the impression that Beckett is in a place where she wants to achieve more (in terms of justice) than she herself can accomplish. That's what I took her "leadership role" as. She knows she's good at her job, but it's not quite enough. She's talking like she wants to be able to help others be great at their jobs, so that maybe they can help all the other victims that she can't. I think she knows her limitations, and despite being the best homicide detective in the city, there's so much that she can't touch. For every family she gives closure to, there are others that didn't get it. Heck, she was one of them for a very long time.

So it makes sense to me that this isn't about her doubting her own skills. She's not lamenting the fact that her job is stagnant or that she's bored or that she's hit a wall. It's more, to me at least, that even though she's great ... it's not enough anymore. She wants to help more people than just solving a single murder a week. And I don't think that goes against any sort of character progression.

• Love 3

CASTLE: Seamus Dever Teases His ‘Action Movie’-Esque Episode, the Return to Mythology, and More at GMMR

That’s really great. Last year, CASTLE had a really clear end-point for the season. This year, it’s a little murkier. What can you say about where the show is headed?
SD: That’s a super good question.There’s a two-pronged thing of where we’re headed.  We’re headed back into the mystery of what happened with Castle at the end of last season. And reinvestigating that and what the hell happened. Because that’s still really up in the air, and part of the audience is probably like, “When are we going to get back to that?” And I think we’re going to dive back into the Beckett mythology with her mother. I’m very curious how they’re going to do it, because it seemed pretty final with what they did last year. But our writers are super creative, and they always surprise me with what new wrinkle they unfold, and I go, “Oh, I didn’t think of that. So it’s going to be cool to see what it comes around to.

Looks like one Beckett story (I refuse to call it a mythology) is going to be about her mom's case but quite rightly Seamus queries where they can go with that. Although this seems to contradict somewhat Amann's last interview where he said what he had planned for Beckett was not to do with her murder although he said it might "touch" on things adjacent to it. The link to that other interview is in there. So I'm confused and none of the interviews I've read make it any clearer what direction they're going in. 

I had to laugh at Seamus' line about Castle's neglected story, he's not wrong. 

Edited by verdana

Why am I not surprised that they're possibly going back to her mother's murder case? Unless it's related to a trial for Bracken, I really don't see what untold story is left there, unless they shoehorn in something to fit whatever else they have planned in her new story arc. 

I laughed at what Seamus said about Castle too. My skeptical side fears whatever we get on that in 720 is going to be a big letdown or ridiculously unbelievable. 

• Love 1

IF the deal about Beckett's mom is true, maybe this show SHOULD end sooner rather than later since it seems like these writers, even with all of the money they are paid, cannot think of something new to do with Beckett seven seasons in. The mother arc had a nice tie up. Leave it there and do something else, for God's sake.

He doesn't say that Beckett's new arc is going to deal with her mother's murder case, just that it has to do with her mother. Maybe they're going to explore how Beckett can build a family with Castle without her mother in the picture (it's a pretty common theme to want your mom around when you become one, right?), or even how losing her mom impacts her life choices (if she can lose her mom in a "safe" career, what does that mean for any potential kids she has, given her more dangerous profession?) Or maybe they're going to tie in Beckett's next career move into her mom's life - how did her mom juggle being a high-level professional with having a traditional family?

I just think there's more ways to work Beckett's mom into the story than going back to her murder case. Of course, the followup on Castle is murky at best, so we may be making mountains out of molehills.

If anything, this sort of suggests to me that everyone is banking on a season 8. If they had any indication this was the end, I'd imagine they'd be trying to tie things up, not open new stories. Both Nathan and Stana have mentioned wanting to give the series a proper end, so if either had any intention of not resigning I'd imagine they'd have given tptb some sort of heads up. My guess is (like everyone else's) that they're using the expiring contracts as a negotiation tool for a better deal and unless a 12th hour deal goes horribly, horribly wrong they're signing. They just can't say anything about any of it because it kills all their negotiating power.

• Love 1

I note Seamus said "it was mostly Ryan the rest of the cast had a lot of days off" may be he was joking a bit but that sounds rather ominous. I fear I'm going to be drifting off quite a bit during this episode despite all the action. 

I laughed at what Seamus said about Castle too. My skeptical side fears whatever we get on that in 720 is going to be a big letdown or ridiculously unbelievable.

If it's a choice between those I'll pick the first option because at least in that way it won't risk damaging the character, I'm fully expecting it to be a damp squib so that wouldn't upset me. However they could do something that completely retcons his past or screws with the character in some other way to induce huge drama into the story because they want to make it look significant after all this time and that's much worse. 

Edited by verdana
I note Seamus said "it was mostly Ryan the rest of the cast had a lot of days off

Yeah, that doesn't excite me, but if it was really action movie-y, then his scenes would have taken the longest to film.  If they just have Castle/Beckett talking in the precinct, they could get more minutes of footage out fewer days of filming.  I'm hoping that's the case, because action movie sequences aren't the show's strong suit.

I also laughed at Seamus thinking viewers must be wondering what happened with Castle's disappearance.  I think most viewers have given up on that.

Seamus gives good interviews, but he also said mythology.  Seriously, stop using that word.

I like Seamus, his interviews are usually the best in that he makes some quite honest statements that make me laugh and they're not full of hyperbole.

But like you say he did mention mythology so a black mark against him there. 

Yeah, that doesn't excite me, but if it was really action movie-y, then his scenes would have taken the longest to film.  If they just have Castle/Beckett talking in the precinct, they could get more minutes of footage out fewer days of filming.  I'm hoping that's the case, because action movie sequences aren't the show's strong suit.

Yeah I'm hoping that it's not quite what is seems and he's talking the action bits because that would be quite time consuming, my heart did sink though when I read that. I'm determined to put some effort into getting invested in this story about Ryan and try not to zone out and start counting the minutes until Castle and Beckett appear, which is what usually happens in any episode with the secondary cast to the forefront. 

I've struggled to maintain interest in episodes focusing on the secondary characters, especially those without a key Castle and/or Beckett component, partly because I think the stories they've written for the secondary characters have been quite predictable.  There wasn't much that really pulled me into the secondary character's journey and made me care.  Ryan and Esposito have had a few chances already without making much of a mark so this is why I'd like to see someone like Martha get a shot for a change.  Maybe they can bring something more interesting to the table with her.  No doubt Ryan is going to be angsting about someone being killed on his watch and be all about finding justice for the victim.  Similar notes to those stories they've done before with Castle and Beckett being affected by a crime hitting more close to them.  I won't really care about a brother in law that I'm never going to see again.

The writers have slacked off so terribly with Castle's disappearance storyline.  MarMann should be called to the carpet for it though no doubt they'll have some BS to throw about if asked in an interview.  Remember how Marlowe said he was so very excited to explore the new Castle M-word in post finale interviews last season? The stupid burning car cliffhanger was all for the sake of the exciting M.  Yeah, right.  So excited that he just touches on the storyline in the opener, the second episode and then they all had amnesia along with Castle till the finale.  Clearly well thought through and planned lol.   I just don't see how these writers could ever handle writing a genuinely serialised series with all plots and character arcs being followed up from episode to episode.  Even in other shows with dumb amnesia plots, the character usually doesn't take 20 episodes to start remembering stuff. ;)

As for Beckett's mother being brought up again, one way I would still find would make sense for the character is if she decided to make a difference by honouring her mom and volunteering to look into cold cases or something like that on top of her regular NYPD duties.  No more Bracken conspiracy, please!  I don't really think that finding out Johanna Beckett was actually a sleeper agent or *gasp* secretly undead ;) linked into Castle's disappearance is the way to go.  This show isn't Alias. 

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

Marlowe and Amann haven't given the audience anything to latch on to after the initial few episodes about Castle's disappearance, I don't count occasional references to his amnesia or having the odd sleepless night as good enough and they haven't advanced the story in any way whatsoever, I find the writers attitude towards the whole saga mystifying. They've only got themselves to blame for the general apathy, they should have been dropping bits of information throughout the course of the season so there's a good build up when you finally get to the big reveal.  Although based on a recent interview with Amann it sounds like we might not even get that which is frustrating, I just wish they'd wrap it up, lets get it over with or at least give me enough that any loose ends which are left behind are so superficial that it doesn't matter that much. 

Edited by verdana

They've only got themselves to blame for the general apathy, they should have been dropping bits of information throughout the course of the season so there's a good build up when you finally get to the big reveal.

This has always been their M.O. Even with her mom's case it was always start/stop. As unbelievable as the conspiracy around her mothers death was it still boiled down to 1 question. Who ordered her murder? With Castle's disappearance we have several questions (each one more ridiculous).

1. Why use Castle at all?

2. Why stay in the tent instead of the house? (if he really did stay in the tent)

3. Where did he get the fever? (was the fever part of erasing his memory)

4. When, where & why was he shot?

5. What the hell do tsunamis have to do with anything?

6. Does the childhood memory have anything to do with this?

7. All the rest of the silly crap I don't feel like listing.

In my opinion they completely missed the mark with the conclusion of the Bracken case. How anyone could expect a satisfying ending to this jumbled mess is beyond me. I think they realize they are beyond their depth & are hoping we'll forget most of the unanswered questions. Out of sight out of mind.

• Love 1

This has always been their M.O. Even with her mom's case it was always start/stop. As unbelievable as the conspiracy around her mothers death was it still boiled down to 1 question. Who ordered her murder? With Castle's disappearance we have several questions (each one more ridiculous).

1. Why use Castle at all?

2. Why stay in the tent instead of the house? (if he really did stay in the tent)

3. Where did he get the fever? (was the fever part of erasing his memory)

4. When, where & why was he shot?

5. What the hell do tsunamis have to do with anything?

6. Does the childhood memory have anything to do with this?

7. All the rest of the silly crap I don't feel like listing.

In my opinion they completely missed the mark with the conclusion of the Bracken case. How anyone could expect a satisfying ending to this jumbled mess is beyond me. I think they realize they are beyond their depth & are hoping we'll forget most of the unanswered questions. Out of sight out of mind.

I bet you put more thought into typing this post than the writers have for this whole stupid...say it with me now!...mythology.

• Love 3

"(it's a pretty common theme to want your mom around when you become one, right?),"

Well, yes, but mostly because the new mother is tired from childbirth and may need household help for a few days. Especially since hospitals seem to be sending mother and baby home within 24 hours if everything went well.

Beckett may feel sad that her mother isn't around, but she has Martha and Alexis around to dote, a husband with childcare experience, a loving father, a best friend who is a doctor and a housekeeper who has been with the family for over a dozen years. 

Stana Katic @Stana_Katic  ·  8m 8 minutes ago

2 more episodes left!

So, 2 CELEBRATE all of YOU, I'm going to post a BTS everyday I work on my Instagram (@drstanakatic) till April 17th.

Thanks for the list oberon lets see if the writers have can remember their own set up after so long and how many of those get answered and how many new questions/contradictions get thrown into the mix.

The best one there is the child's tent, how any one who claims to know the man could believe Richard Castle of all people would choose voluntarily to live in that for a few months defies belief. That was the biggest WTF for me and symbolises the stupidity of the whole "mythology" that they dreamed up in what looks like about ten seconds flat without thinking how they were going to develop the story any further. 

Edited by verdana

Mega Buzz: Will Castle Be Back Next Season? by Adam Bryant.

Here's an excerpt below.

Naturally, that uncertainty makes planning the remainder of the season a bit tricky for the show's writers. Even so, executive producerDavid Amann says he's trying to avoid the distraction. "We're hopeful that everything gets resolved," he says. "We have thought about a bunch [of] different scenarios, but our main obligation is just to our audience and delivering great shows. We're just building the best end of the season that we can."

Perhaps surprisingly because of the situation, it sounds like the end of the season will involve some uncertainty rather than wrapping things up. "I think we are headed toward to some sort of cliff-hanger. We go back into the Beckett mythology and that might play strongly in the end," Dever teases, noting that the choice makes him remain hopeful that the show will see a Season 8. "From what I'm hearing, [the delayed renewal] is not from lack of want at the network level. They're very happy with the success of our show; it's just about getting everybody back to the table."

Edited by verdana

I'm going to be so mad if 12th hour negotiations fall through and we're left with a cliffhanger.

That said, I still think both Stana and Nathan ultimately want to be swayed into signing. If they didn't I feel like they're both classy enough that they would have given an indication of that  to tptb so that they could write a proper ending instead of a cliffhanger. It wouldn't be the first time that contract negotiations have gone long - the cast of The Big Bang Theory took well into the summer to sign new contracts and Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey were so slow to resign with Grey's when their contract was up that Shonda wrote them into a plane crash just in case.

I just really wish they'd decide one way or another, just because it's getting a bit too late to go back and make a cohesive ending if those 12th hour negotiations fall through.

Well, there is precedent for a show's contract negotiations falling through after the final episode of a season aired (Gilmore Girls) and the show having an unplanned series finale. And, quite honestly if they BOTH can't get everything they want to resign (which I still think is about more than money), then they shouldn't. They deserve it & folks watch for them (1 or both of them) so as far as I'm concerned they should (& do) hold all the cards. It sucks for folks like Seamus, but even he has to realize that's the case. 

• Love 1

Castle's Seamus Dever Talks Ryan's Moonlighting Crisis, Rick's Vanishing and the Outlook for Season 8 at TV Line. I'll post this on the spoiler thread too. 

Quite a bit of detail on this week's episode and this mention of 7.20, I don't think this is that spoilery it's not really saying anything new.

TVLINE | We’re heading into the home stretch of Season 7. Any other upcoming episodes to tease?
There is, of course, the one that everyone has been hanging on, waiting for, since the beginning of this season — “What happened to Castle? Where did he go for those three months?” That’s going to be exciting to get back into [in Episode 20], because what’s cool about that is Espo has always been in the camp of “I don’t believe his story,” while Ryan always been [more open-minded]. It’s fun to play that balance of, “Oh my God, is he lying? Is it the truth? How could he do this to us?” Or believing him.

TVLINE | Does that episode revisit the mystery significantly, or merely brush up against it in the course of something else?
Oh no, it gets into it significantly. And as all Castle episodes do, it offers a little bit of finality and then leaves the door open for what’s next. We were just doing [DVD] commentary for Episode 1, and David [Amann] was in the middle of writing 20, so it was hilarious because we were talking about where the mythology was going, knowing that the audience won’t hear this commentary until September. [Laughs]

We've been hanging on that's true for what seems like forever for them to finally tell us something, pity I'm not remotely excited to find out what the story is any more. 

Edited by verdana
And, quite honestly if they BOTH can't get everything they want to resign (which I still think is about more than money), then they shouldn't. They deserve it & folks watch for them (1 or both of them) so as far as I'm concerned they should (& do) hold all the cards. It sucks for folks like Seamus, but even he has to realize that's the case.

I only sort of agree, because it largely depends on what they're asking for and if it's worth compromising for.

For example, Nathan got a lot of crap when he wanted 4 day weeks, and I kind of get that too. I mean, these people work long hours and do a lot of things in a short period of time ... but at the same time, so are many other people that don't have the salary or the negotiating power they do. My dad works in the automotive industry (in the creative/technical side, not in a factory) and he's currently putting in 6 day, +/- 60 hour weeks because there's so much to do that they can't keep up. He doesn't get paid nearly as well as someone like Nathan Fillion, nor does he have the power (or financial security) to just say "change this or else", despite how much he may want to. He also doesn't have the freedom of a good two and a half/three months off in the summer.

Yes, I get that they work hard. They put in a lot of work and time and there's probably a lot of things that they have to do that I will never even have to dream of. But they ultimately have quite a bit of power, a good bit of creative freedom, and are compensated quite well for what they do. (I'll take a salary of over a million dollars a year, and that's if we assume that they're only making $50,000 and episode, which we know they're not [they're making more] and two months off a year.) You'll be hard pressed to find someone that doesn't work in Hollywood to sympathize with them walking away over a shortened shooting schedule or an extra $20 grand and episode or whatever they're hoping to negotiate for.

No one is going to have all the details except them, so maybe things are awful and worth changing. But at the same time, from an outsider's point of view, I can understand the fans getting angry if contract negotiations are the death of the show, especially if there's no warning and it's just over. Guaranteed Nathan doesn't make any new fans if that's how it reads in the press.

I'm going to be so mad if 12th hour negotiations fall through and we're left with a cliffhanger.

Yeah that would be the worst outcome, I'd hate it. I wish they'd forget about any cliffhanger and leave things on a good note so that if everything falls apart later fans aren't left in the lurch fuming and having to write (or read) copious amounts of fanfic to "fix" things. 

I only sort of agree, because it largely depends on what they're asking for and if it's worth compromising for.

For example, Nathan got a lot of crap when he wanted 4 day weeks, and I kind of get that too. I mean, these people work long hours and do a lot of things in a short period of time ... but at the same time, so are many other people that don't have the salary or the negotiating power they do. My dad works in the automotive industry (in the creative/technical side, not in a factory) and he's currently putting in 6 day, +/- 60 hour weeks because there's so much to do that they can't keep up. He doesn't get paid nearly as well as someone like Nathan Fillion, nor does he have the power (or financial security) to just say "change this or else", despite how much he may want to. He also doesn't have the freedom of a good two and a half/three months off in the summer.

Yes, I get that they work hard. They put in a lot of work and time and there's probably a lot of things that they have to do that I will never even have to dream of. But they ultimately have quite a bit of power, a good bit of creative freedom, and are compensated quite well for what they do. (I'll take a salary of over a million dollars a year, and that's if we assume that they're only making $50,000 and episode, which we know they're not [they're making more] and two months off a year.) You'll be hard pressed to find someone that doesn't work in Hollywood to sympathize with them walking away over a shortened shooting schedule or an extra $20 grand and episode or whatever they're hoping to negotiate for.

No one is going to have all the details except them, so maybe things are awful and worth changing. But at the same time, from an outsider's point of view, I can understand the fans getting angry if contract negotiations are the death of the show, especially if there's no warning and it's just over. Guaranteed Nathan doesn't make any new fans if that's how it reads in the press.

I think this is all a ploy and the show will get an 8th season. But I disagree with the shade thrown at Nathan Fillion here. Sure, he wanted a shortened week. But he's not the first, nor will he ever be the last, to ask for things. That's showbiz. And he has honored his contract. He is not a writer. IF (and, again, I think the show will continue) he does choose to walk, the fans going postal on him will reflect more on them than him. He honored what he was supposed to do. If he chooses to not continue on? That's his prerogative and it is the idiocy of this writing/producing team - not the actors - if the show goes out on a cliffhanger without knowing if the show will get another season.

• Love 4

It's interesting that in that Seamus says no one has approached him about renewing the contract yet.  I mean, it's already the end of March, ABC needs to get moving. Maybe they aren't going to bother until they get Nathan and Stana to sign off, but you'd think they'd have said something to the rest of the cast.  Tell them not to start sending out resumes just yet.

I do hope if anyone decides they don't want to resign (which is their right)  TPTB can work in some kind of wrap up.  If the cliffhanger is like last year, it could easily have been dropped with a new ending tagged on.

ABC is strange at their timing for renewing standing shows, anyway. I read on TV Line that one of the actors on The Middle is a lead for a pilot when word on that show's fate also has yet to be decided. (So no idea what the actor in question will do if the show does get another season.)

But unless you're Empire or The Big Bang Theory - or don't air on ABC anyway (as the two examples here don't), you're up shit creek waiting.

For the sake of argument, if Castle does not (very surprisingly so) return and depending on when things are filmed, stuff can (doesn't mean it will but it can) be edited for a better ending. The original Law & Order had to go that route when NBC axed it without ceremony after 20 seasons. Thank God the editing worked.

I think this is all a ploy and the show will get an 8th season. But I disagree with the shade thrown at Nathan Fillion here. Sure, he wanted a shortened week. But he's not the first, nor will he ever be the last, to ask for things. That's showbiz. And he has honored his contract. He is not a writer. IF (and, again, I think the show will continue) he does choose to walk, the fans going postal on him will reflect more on them than him. He honored what he was supposed to do. If he chooses to not continue on? That's his prerogative and it is the idiocy of this writing/producing team - not the actors - if the show goes out on a cliffhanger without knowing if the show will get another season.

Thank you for this, Wendy. I know I've mentioned this before, but we've all seen that Stana benefits just as much as Nathan when it comes to more time off (haven't we just seen her get an entire week off like Nathan's had before?). Which is why I emphasized that BOTH of them may be asking for certain things from ABC Studios to continue. Also, it's really apples and oranges to compare the working conditions and pay scale of Hollywood versus pretty much any other profession. The rules aren't the same. It's not right, but it's the truth.  

Also, we have no way of knowing if Nathan is the one dragging his feet to resign any more or harder than Stana. It could be both of them hesitating rather than just him. Or maybe it's Stana who's the holdup (imagine that). The presumption that all of it lies with him is not fair. As Wendy said above, Nathan AND Stana have fulfilled their obligations to the show. Period. Anything more they give is their choice and theirs alone. 

Edited by S55
  • Love 3
But I disagree with the shade thrown at Nathan Fillion here.

I just want to be clear, I'm not throwing shade personally, other than being annoyed that there's no great resolution to the show. I'm just saying what I believe others will make of the situation, because you know that's how people are going to see it. It's one thing for the evil network to cancel your show. People are on your side then. When you willingly walk away? There's gotta be a great reason for that, and "already filled my contract" isn't going to endear you to anyone. That's also a risk you take in show business, because no one knows the details and the media rules all. One wrong move, even in contract negotiations (both in public and in private), could blacklist you for a long time, especially with fans. Look how long it took Katherine Heigl to make it back onto TV.

I read on TV Line that one of the actors on The Middle is a lead for a pilot when word on that show's fate also has yet to be decided. (So no idea what the actor in question will do if the show does get another season.)

Isn't that how Jennifer Aniston got to be Rachel in Friends?

Also, it's really apples and oranges to compare the working conditions and pay scale of Hollywood versus pretty much any other profession. The rules aren't the same. It's not right, but it's the truth.

You're right, but from the outside looking in that's all anyone has to compare it to. Right or wrong, it's going to shape people's opinions and in a case like this there's a very large chance someone like Nathan or Stana will come looking bad if things go south. No one is going to commiserate because they didn't get more money, or more time off, or a bigger trailer, or whatever else.