Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

Castle is definitely not a "hot" show never has been not that I care. Then in comparison you get something like Game of Thrones which I always see popping up on my mainstream entertainment feeds. I know I would never get to see anything on Castle it's just not that kind of show. 

But shows like Castle and Bones and lighter fare don't seem to merit much, be it age or just lack of being cool. They're light, steady, dependable utility shows, which isn't a bad thing, but that's where it ends, I think.

Steady and dependable that's exactly how I see them, they're not high art, ground breaking, tough, gritty or award winning which doesn't mean they can't be thoroughly enjoyable and good in their own way. I know when I tune into Castle exactly what I'm going to get, the show is not going to stray outside a certain set of parameters which suits me just fine for a Monday night.  You need TV like Bones and Castle.

I think it'll be likely Stana's turn to live tweet since Castle's supposed to be missing and the focus is on Beckett.

Oh yes he's missing, kind of overlooked that minor detail. Stana it is then. It certainly won't be Amann since he's wisely chosen to stay off twitter. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

How is it possible that each time I hear more about this premiere it sounds worse? Now all I can imagine is Caskett sitting three feet apart, wine glasses in hand while being drug back to shore in a dinghy by the coast guard. I'm already exhausted by the thought of it.

madmaverick word to everything you said.

madmaverick: My feelings exactly.  I am definitely hoping for the latter as well, but with their track record and coming off FBFW, my faith in their abilities (and their care for consistent characterisation that isn't sacrificed for plot hijinks) is almost at an all time low.  I think if they feel something can bring mystery and intrigue and their idea of mythology (ugh), and can stall milestone story events (weddings) as long as possible, they'll do it regardless of whether it's the best thing for the character/relationships.

I would really, really like a reason to look forward to S7, but for the characterization issues mentioned, I'm having a very hard time. I realize that in these days of a much wider variety of TV dramas available and a greater tendency for long-arc stories to comprise at least a part of most series, it's necessary for characters to grow and change. Growth and change that's more like macrame than genuine organic movement forces me away from the emotional engagement I have established with the characters, which encourages apathy, if not outright dislike. With all new "new mythology" I'm wondering if I will even care if there's a wedding, if those being married I no longer recognize.

• Love 2

In fact as much as I enjoy Nathan...when I found out what his salary was going to be (he was under a holding deal with ABC so it was already determined what he would get paid) I said to myself "Joey Buchanan is worth this money? Really?

That's friggin hilarious! Classic.

That makes sense about the change in ABC's PR department. Sounds like they need to clean house.

Also agree about needing "comfort" television. There's shows I have to really pay attention to know what's going on: Blacklist, Good Wife, SVU, Suits, The Leftovers, Scandal. Then there's Castle, where I don't need to pay attention to essentially the 38 or so minutes dedicated to the case. And when Castle is at it's best it's a sweet, fun, funny show about two great characters played by two great actors solving interesting crimes. When it's not so great is when it takes itself too seriously: badass SuperCop Beckett"I'll break your fingers!"!Barbie and Kidnapped!Castle in Peril with a side of "guess who's an onion now??"

Edited by Elysium1973
  • Love 3

Thanks for the articles but I'll take them w a grain of salt. One w. Stana also said her name is Stana Jacqueline Katic ... Stana said on twitter that her middle name isn't Jacqueline so...

Has anyone ever been able to pinpoint where allegedly she said her middle name was Jacqueline? Because I've never seen a source other than wikipedia (and that wasn't even attributed to anything, so it literally holds no water. I could go edit her page to say her middle name was Elmo or something right now) and she's been pretty adamant that Jacqueline isn't her middle name, if she even has one at all. That seems like a stupid thing to lie about.

How is it possible that each time I hear more about this premiere it sounds worse?

Because being around here has made us jaded and cynical and expectant of the worst, and even if it's not all that bad, it seems like it's the end of the world (or maybe more aptly, the show)? Honestly, discussion and speculation used to be fun. Now it's fun-sucking and I have no idea how to breathe any sort of positivity or fun or even enjoyment back into it.

For myself, the only episode I've been disappointed with was For Better or Worse, and really that's only because I felt like I'd been cheated out of a wedding and denied their happy ending and the story seemed incomplete. If Driven can finish the story and/or at least set me in seeing the direction of Castle and Beckett's happy ending, it's a win.

I think for the sake of my sanity I'm going to have to ignore the spoilers (they're always worse than seeing it live and reading the doomsday opinions of them make it 1000x worse) and most likely this thread. Maybe this board, too. It's a shame. I used to have so much fun talking about the show.

• Love 6
I wish more people (in general, not speaking to anyone here) understood that while awards, high art in television and the water cooler are all great things, shows can be really good without that.

I think it's a matter of cause and effect, beginning by the people involved in the show. In the earlier seasons I got a vibe of fun, of not taking themselves or the characters too serious. That changed as they discovered full blown Drama! Beckett and Serious! Caskett episodes. You can't say they don't want to be gritty, especially last season. Even humour was absent most of the time in those special episodes. A glaring difference to say Tick, Tick Boom that had Becketts life in jeopardy after all.

Mind you, most of the episodes are still fluff, but as much as they try to be the most discontinued series I ever encountered, they can't erase the history and images they created over the time. And I think the transition back to the normal fun episodes don't go that smoothly anymore. At least I ask myself: Do you want to be That 70s Show or Belly of the Beast? They can't have both extremes IMO. The more they tap into the latter, the more changes I demand. You give me serious drama, I demand continuity and a more reality based premise. 

• Love 3

McManda I hear what you're saying and you make good points. But reading quotes like this:

Castle's Season 7 premiere delivers the most twisty troubled plot I've seen in a long time. By the end of the 60 minutes you will have as many doubts about Castle and Beckett's future as do Beckett herself and her crew at the precinct. Rife with time changes and dangling question marks, this premiere sets the stage for an arc that could very well span the remaining 22 episodes, though I hope not because that would be dismal, dismal, dismal.

From BuddyTV really do have me concerned. I honestly and truly don't want this show to suck. I really enjoyed Valkyrie and thought it saved (almost) The Worst Proposal Ever. I don't want Marlowe and Amann to shove some new "mythology" down my throat in what could be the last season. I don't want to find out that everything we knew about Castle the man to be a lie. I don't want him to be sacrificed to the Gods of Television Tropes like Beckett was in FBFW. He's already on shaky ground as it is, what with being a buffoon and the butt of the joke. And what I really, really can't deal with is the annihilation of Caskett. Not on any level. I just can't justify or think of any good reason to sacrifice what they spent six years building.

I think we can all agree that there are things that this show does well and things it doesn't. High drama and continuity are both weaknesses. We know this new "mythology" isn't going to last past episode 2. There's a gunfight at the OK Corral and western wear to be worn, after all! How can we be zany and continue with Marlowe's beloved "theme" episodes under the specter of Broken!Caskett? It makes no sense.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't trust him anymore. He fucked with us and then he laughed at our reaction. I want so badly for this to exceed my expectations. They're pretty low. And behind every cynic and every person who is hard on this show is someone who loves/loved it like crazy. Hate is not the antithesis of love, apathy is.

• Love 1

Also, to avoid kissing.

Yeah I think so, we can't have too much kissing between these two, especially after two months apart. Well the guy on that site Castlefan mentioned has a twitter feed and he's been answering all sorts of questions including those about the reunion scenes. Trawling through it there does appear to be a brief family one, and two Caskett ones - one where she "sees" him (but obviously in a way that's not strictly speaking a reunion) and then an actual one.  I smiled when he said the "romance scene is debatable depending on how a person perceives it!"

Given Marlowe's "perception" of romance exhibited over the last few seasons my guess is that it will be the usual toasting with wine job at the very end of the episode. But no matter how they do it even if they get those wine glasses out I hope the moment doesn't disappoint fans but fear it might for those out there naturally expecting some warm, fluffly, romantic interlude as compensation after the angst generated by his disappearance and the botched wedding. 

The Buddy TV review was one of the more interesting ones. This episode sounds like it will be a rehash of Probable Cause with everyone back to doubting Castle again at various points but this time the questions don't get answered properly and the story doesn't get tied up in a nice neat bow. As for how they're going to get themselves "out of the corner they've painted themselves into with this polarizing storyline" (quote from BuddyTV linked above), well that's easy they forget about it for the next twenty odd episodes or at least until February sweeps. Castle doesn't do emotional or any other continuity worth a damn, you would think the reviewer would know that by now if they watch the show regularly. I doubt the story is going to drag in a "dismal" way all season long or be polarizing for many people and certainly not the general audience who watch each week.

I would really, really like a reason to look forward to S7, but for the characterization issues mentioned, I'm having a very hard time. I realize that in these days of a much wider variety of TV dramas available and a greater tendency for long-arc stories to comprise at least a part of most series, it's necessary for characters to grow and change. Growth and change that's more like macrame than genuine organic movement forces me away from the emotional engagement I have established with the characters, which encourages apathy, if not outright dislike. With all new "new mythology" I'm wondering if I will even care if there's a wedding, if those being married I no longer recognize.

What worries me after reading that review is that the writers have shown over the last few seasons a weakness at decent story construction and truly organic characterisation, generating increasingly serious plot holes that take me out of a story and having the characters display OOC behaviour in order to move the story from point A to point B. They also seem happy to change previously established facts (Beckett never being married for example) which is very dangerous path to go down because it can become an almost casual thing to do.

Creating lots of complex twists and turns in a story does not automatically equate to good writing and an interesting plot it can just as easily come over as a garbled mess which brings no genuine insight into the characters at all. 

I do wonder if this reveal is going to lead them into areas (especially where Richard Castle is concerned) whereby it becomes obvious that the writers are hopelessly out of their depth thereby damaging the characters beyond repair for some fans.  Caskett will get married of this I have no doubt and be together solving cases but what version of Castle and Beckett will I be watching come the end of the season I wonder? The one I used to know or Caskett 2.0?

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2
That Ferrari thing was fun at first, but it has started to grate.  Somewhere along the line I thought the writers starting making characters like Castle and Esposito etc. caricatures of themselves, going to the same well/same annoying character trait/same kind of punchline too often and it stopped becoming good natured fun and funny anymore.  They lost the balance.

I find the secondary cast especially have become less developed as the show has aged which is bizarre you would presume it would be the exact opposite. They're almost walking cardboard cut outs now with a set line and standard character trait. Esposito used to be funny with his quips etc but now I find him irritating especially where Rick is concerned. The guy is meant to be Castle's friend and yet all I see is him snarking and snapping at the guy for no obvious reason or putting him down and using him - not the act of a genuine buddy.  There's no reason for his behaviour a lot of the time, it's just something they wheel out when needed to get some cheap laugh and it's getting tiresome.

Edited by verdana

Castle was never good at being "dark and serious" even with her shooting and of course her mom's case being the entire background.

It always reminded me of when a sitcom in the 80-90s would do a "very special episode" i.e Carol Seaver's boyfriend dies of drunk driving or DJ Tanner crash diets.

Not that the more serious moments weren't well acted...like Beckett's PTSD or Castle distraught over Alexis being kidnapped. But huge topics like that always seem a little out of place to me. Not sure why.

Couldn't agree more, I've never been a huge fan of Serious!Dramatic!Castle. When they do a "very special episode" because they love to keep everything so self contained it always leaves me feeling curiously flat and emotionally disconnected which is exactly the opposite of what I should be feeling.

Mind you, most of the episodes are still fluff, but as much as they try to be the most discontinued series I ever encountered, they can't erase the history and images they created over the time. And I think the transition back to the normal fun episodes don't go that smoothly anymore. At least I ask myself: Do you want to be That 70s Show or Belly of the Beast? They can't have both extremes IMO. The more they tap into the latter, the more changes I demand. You give me serious drama, I demand continuity and a more reality based premise. 

That's the exact same problem I have with the writers insistence on maintaining that disconnection and lack of continuity. In the past it didn't bother me so much, may be because the writing felt more subtle and nuanced back then, may be because they hadn't yet got around to putting their main leads through increasingly severe emotional trauma. But now the writers seem to want to dip increasingly into more serious and overblown drama whilst trying to maintain the overall, fun, light, feel good vibe they had going on before and it doesn't really work - at least not for me. If they're going to show these characters getting tortured, shot and kidnapped on a regular basis then they need to show that it means something to them as it would in real life not have it disappear the following week with barely a ripple.

Even the way they structure the episodes seem designed as a way to wipe the slate clean for everyone, they always have a much more fun/zany/silly episode directly after a super serious one and that makes it even worse. For example Alexis is kidnapped and then rescued and the following week you had them investigating a haunted tape and when Beckett was abused ITBOTB the next week you had ninja fun. Marlowe has shown no signs he understands or wants to change the format of the show to take account of this which is only going to hurt the characters in the long run if the show continues because the characters become less believable over time.

Edited by verdana

Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Once Upon a Time,' 'Castle' and more at EW

Don't think I've seen this before. Make of that what you will.  I sense the "shocking" thing will either underwhelm or make me eye roll but will certainly not shock. As for it leading me to questioning my Caskett devotion, I've got six years invested in this baby it would take a hell of a lot to shake that. 

Any Castle scoop? — Sandra
The hunt for Castle will drudge up all the suspects we’ve been guessing over the summer, including Bracken and 3XK, but you’ll be surprised by where the evidence leads in regards to who actually took the author—which will be hotly debated in the precinct. The apparent truth, however, is something so shocking, it may make you question your Caskett devotion.
Edited by verdana

Yeah I figure that won't be cleared up, in fact it sounds like a lot of things are going to be deliberately left hanging in the air to be picked up later on. It makes sense because if they want this new mythology to take off and last they will have to keep strands open otherwise the whole things is over with before it even begins.

Edited by verdana

Castle ‏@Castle_ABC  19h

#Castle Season 7 premieres in 10 days! Where do you think Rick Castle has disappeared to? pic.twitter.com/RXveiFQhsu

Looking at the poster, I wonder if recalling the title of the finale is quite such a good idea when it comes to the premiere and making it a question. Fans want Caskett to be happy, they tend not to respond well to angst or teases. 

Edited by verdana

Don't think I've seen this before. Make of that what you will.  I sense the "shocking" thing will either underwhelm or make me eye roll but will certainly not shock. As for it leading me to questioning my Caskett devotion, I've got six years invested in this baby it would take a hell of a lot to shake that. 

I think the reviewer who said this would make fans question their Caskett devotion went way over the top purely for shock value.  Or perhaps he/she does not understand the level of fan investment in Caskett.  I won't be shaken by whatever is coming as I have a years long investment in Caskett.  They have weathered some very bad things and none of them shook my faith in Caskett.  This won't either for fans who are so invested.  Perhaps the one thing that Marlowe has said that he has never, ever deviated from is that once Caskett got together they would never break up.  I give him credit for that much.  He has kept his word.  And now he and DA have said that this will not break them, but will only make them stronger.  They will work through this together and then marry before the end of 2014.  I just wish they would tell us which episode is the wedding!

• Love 2

The DVD commentary for Belly of the Beast just taught me that Amann rhymes with Ramen not said like "a mon."

ETA: this entire commentary is basically Marlowe, Amann and Bowman self congratulating each other. And Marlowe saying "delicious" makes my skin crawl.

Edited by FlickerToAFlame

I did wonder how you pronounced it so thanks for the info.

As for the commentary, I usually enjoy listening to the discussions by the writers and/or directors but in this case I'll give it a miss. 

Picture tweeted by a fan visiting the set, she's sitting behind Castle's desk obviously and in the background you can make out a picture of Beckett, Castle Always has tried to match it up.

Edited by verdana

On the toast scene, Castle's toast includes the phrase to Beckett:  "the love of my life"

Also saw this on tumblr today.

Question to alwayswritewithcoffee on tumblr:  Will 7x01 bring Castle and Beckett closer together? Or do you think it will?

Answer:  Yep. For whatever frustration you might have after the premiere, there will be a subtle payoff that pairs nicely with other moments in the series. It’s not the doom and gloom that so many people are painting it to be.

• Love 1

Thanks for the article, I was wondering what Kate Jennings was going to say she usually fangirls like crazy over Castle, she's much more low key here. Seems the writers have gone for angst and serious drama over fun and fluff which may be no shock to many given it's a premiere but as I've said before I don't think these are particularly Castle's strong suits. It also seems clear that Driven is like a two parter but there is not going to be a quick resolution to anything that gets dredged up here, it will be left hanging for however long they want the mythology to last, that's my take on what I've read so far based on this review and a few others. 

• Love 1

Not to beat the dead horse...but doesn't Kate Jennings love everything from this show? Like, even HH and FBFW?

The fact that we have to count on H̶a̶c̶k̶l̶ Marlowe to satisfy our curiousity in episode two seems rather...unsatisfying.

Edited by Elysium1973

This is something another poster (named recoveredbonesaddict) posted on the ABC forum. I think this is a really interesting theory so I've copied it here. This is how you credit someone and not just steal what they post, BTW. You wouldn't want to catch an std. Especially if you're 51.

You know what this is all about Dave, and it is something you, others, and I speculated. It is about setting up the backdoor pilot for the Derrick Storm series.

What the teasers spoiled is that there is an unpublished Derrick Storm novel called Tropical Storm. For some reason Rick decided not to publish this novel, and as we suggested earlier in the thread it will be revealed that Rick knew too much detail about a real life mission of the real Derrick Storm.

We are going to learn that Derrick Storm is not just a creation of Rick but an actual agent (not in the premiere but down the line). Rick met him when he was following (and actually participated in some missions) Sophia. Sophia, Derrick, and Rick were involved in a mission that remained secret, but Rick used the mission as the basis for Tropical Storm.

While in Chicago last year for his Derrick Storm tour someone was tipped off of the novels existence. This someone might have even gotten the unpublished manuscript, and from that manuscript they were able to piece together Rick's involvement in the operation.

What I see happening is that once this two episode mystery concludes that the next time we will see the "new mythology" will be for either the two parter or the season finale arc were it will be linked with the emergence of the real Derrick Storm. He will be introduced to the audience thus serving as a launch pad for the new Derrick Storm series...

The angst for Rick and Kate will come from Kate finding out that Rick has always been involved in his novels. Involve to the point of actually getting himself in the action. She is going to learn that his involvement with Sophia went deeper than just a relationship, and that he was actually a pseudo agent type. This will come as a shock to her because he never revealed that part of his life to her, and she will wonder what else he hasn't revealed (rinse, wash, repeat)

Edited by Elysium1973

On tumblr this gal http://alwayswritewithcoffee.tumblr.com/ says that there's a spaceship in Montreal in episode 2. I'm praying that she's kidding. Please, please, please don't let there be a fucking spaceship in a Marlowe written episode that supposed to answer the questions from the premiere. I've honestly never seen a show whose participants are so very stuck on sci-fi shows from the 90's-00's. And this show (Castle) isn't even close. Oh well. I guess I can just rewatch Paperclip, Bad Blood, Clyde Bruckman, and PMP for the 784th time. That show keeps getting better, I swear.

Edited by Elysium1973
  • Love 1

Elysium.Castle has made jokes about getting married in space...so who knows.   

As for the Derrick Storm stuff, thanks for bringing it over but this makes my head hurt. When did Castle get so convoluted? I like relatively simple fare on a Monday night after the first day back at work, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some link especially as Marlowe and Miller want to get this new show off the ground. It makes perfect sense they try and rope the existing Castle audience into that but sorry I have zero interest in Derrick Storm.  If the new mythology revolves around this and opens up more doubt for Kate about how Castle really is and their relationship then they've lost my interest in the story arc. 

What I want to know and forgive me if I'm getting confused here but if they do pursue this Rick as "pseudo agent" idea is when the hell did he find the time to do this in between raising his daughter? Martha wasn't always living in the loft I seem to recall she was off doing her own thing. The premise seems to be stretching credibility given his role as a committed, caring, serious parent. Did he dump Alexis on Martha when he went off on secret agent business chasing these CIA bods around? 

Edited by verdana

What I want to know and forgive me if I'm getting confused here but if they do pursue this Rick as "pseudo agent" idea is when the hell did he find the time to do this in between raising his daughter? Martha wasn't always living in the loft I seem to recall she was off doing her own thing. The premise seems to be stretching credibility given his role as a committed, caring, serious parent. Did he dump Alexis on Martha when he went off on secret agent business chasing these CIA bods around?

When has common sense or any sense of reality mattered? Look at the convoluted mess Beckett's back-story has become. They really are not even attempting to tell a cohesive story. Look at some of the ways things have played out.

1. Poor old relationship challenged Beckett with her walls. Turns out the walls were not that high or thick. Now we know she has lived with at least one man & married another. So much for one & done.

2. We have at least 2 different accounts of why & how Castle became a writer.

3. Montgomery would not come foreword because he was afraid of incriminating himself. So his brilliant solution to that quandary was to give a lawyer (Beckett's mom) a tape that incriminated him. But he didn't stop there. He also dropped clues to Beckett about the existence of the tape. This has to be one of the most asinine solutions to a long running central storyline that I have ever seen.

Lack of internal logic & continuity are as much a part of this show as Castle & Beckett. So why would they stop now? If they want Castle to be a spy then he's a spy & everything else be damned.

• Love 2

After scewing over the one and done type of girl storyline and kicking "reality" to the curb with all those background checks Beckett had to go through and the marriage not poping up at least once, I'd say they don't care about what Castle told Beckett about raising Alexis back in the day anymore.

I have no idea what the Derrick Storm books are about - only what they reveal on the show but it looks pretty much as if it's a backdoor for Marlowe's new show. He is twisting and turning Castle around this season in order to get this new puppy up and running.

Perhaps the one thing that Marlowe has said that he has never, ever deviated from is that once Caskett got together they would never break up.  I give him credit for that much.  He has kept his word.

Honestly I don’t think this is much of an achievement. It’s more like a necessity because how would you write Castle - as a main character - into the plot (speak COTW) of the following episodes after the break up? They can’t even be at odds with each other for more than one episode (well, they could, but offscreen when he is writing and she is doing paper work:-) without it effecting the show’s normal parameter.

As for the premiere, I’m looking forward to it – the previews sound interesting regarding Castle. Since I have a bias towards the character (or actor or both :-), I won’t judge any inconsistencies too hard if I like the outcome. I’m most concerned about the back to normal or relative normalcy at the end of the episode. How do they manage that without giving away what really happened to Castle? Is he found being shot with some kind of retrograde amnesia? Is he found with a severe case of Dengue fever having spent most of the time in delirium?

Re: Derrick Storm “Spin-Off” Introduction:

I think it’s actually quite a good idea to de-meta Derrick Storm, and give him an opportunity to show up in the series. If you spare the dramatics (Castle being a pseudo undercover agent for years and Beckett being upset about it) and just go with what is known already, it could work. Beckett knows Castle followed Sophia for about a year. Unless she thinks he watched her doing paper work, he was bound to be involved in some action. It’s not unusual to assume some active part of his by the rules of the Castleverse… Lots can happen in one year, even meeting one Derrick Storm and getting some crucial info somewhere along the line which Castle foolishly used in Tropical Storm. Anyway, Beckett also knows what the term Classified means, so I don’t think there would be any reason to be upset.

Of course the downside of this whole scenario is: Would Castle be allowed to name his main character Derrick Storm if this is Derrick Storm’s real or undercover name? And if it is not his real or undercover name, why would Marlowe’s new show be called Derrick Storm?

KaveDweller. It's only a theory not a spoiler as I understand it. 

Keeping Caskett together I agree is hardly an earth shattering achievement given how the show is structured. Whilst Marlowe has indeed promised the fans Castle and Beckett will never break up, that doesn't mean as the main creative driving force he can't still crap all over the characters in the meantime in various ways so that promise has never been a huge reassurance to me as it has to others. 

• Love 1

If that should happen tumblr and twitter would go into meltdown, it would make life very difficult for those wanting to remain spoiler free obviously. I hope there's no mix up, I think it's better if everyone gets to watch it at about roughly the same time saves a lof of grief. 

LOL, most creative poster yet.  Pi really looks like one creepy dude there with crazy eyes.

This is not directly related to Castle, but I've been watching a new show, Outlander, and they just did a wedding episode in Episode 7 of Season 1.  Now that's how you do a wedding episode!  How I wish Castle writers would learn from them.  Worth a look even if you haven't been watching the show.  The entire episode was about the wedding and the wedding night.  Obviously not all the time was spent in bed though there was a fair amount of that as it's a cable show and a genuinely important part of the storyline here.  It was hot, sexy, sensual, intimate, all tastefully done.  All stuff that one can only dream of on Castle.  What pleased me most was how much time and attention they gave to the characters to build up a bond with each other and convey a sense of real intimacy through conversation and actions.  

Outlander is probably what one would call historical romance though maybe historical drama with mystery and intrigue would be just as accurate.  It definitely doesn't shy away from romance.  The writers realised that the wedding was a huge deal to its viewers so weren't afraid to devote one whole episode to the event, really, to delving deeper into the characters and their relationship as they took this huge step.  No superficial wedding planning (even the wedding planning was meaningful here) or last minute stupid hijnks for them. ;)  You come away with a deeper understanding of the characters and the relationship, which is what every viewer wants.  Not cheap stunts. ;)  Anyway, Outlander is created by the same guy who reimagined Battlestar Galactica (quality show) and why I decided to check it out.  I have to say one mark of a talented showrunner and storyteller is one who can dip into 2 vastly different genres and bring both to life so well.  

Edited by madmaverick

If I'm being really cynical, then this new found interest in Castle's character and desire to explore previously (inexplicably) unrevealed aspects of him after many seasons of the writers showing little interest in the subject matter is 1) all about servicing the new DS show first and foremost rather than anything to do with Castle, 2) yet another gateway to delay the wedding as much as possible as Marlowe really wanted to do.  

There really weren't any more 'organic' ;) obstacles to be had between Caskett to stop them from being a happy, married couple but Marlowe didn't want to go there unless he absolutely had to because he was seriously running out of story and also doesn't know how to write a happy couple well ;), so he seized at the chance to stop the wedding at the very last minute possible.  Shock and awe! ;)  Joke's on the audience.  Caskett are happy, committed together, having learned more than one lesson in the past about harbouring secrets with one another, on the brink of their happily ever after, and this is the time Marlowe decides to reboot a bit and throw in (fundamental) new secrets and questions and sow doubts into the relationship?  Does that make sense or feel organic to anyone? ;)  

I guess I won't know how I feel about the new developments in store for Castle's character till I know what they are. But the writers have proven to be so fond of goofy, doofus, cheap laughs Castle (at his expense) in the past, and now they possibly want us to believe in a pseudo/real spy Castle with a secretive, hidden past who presumably knew how to get the job done (maybe even better than the NYPD pros who have always 'taught' Castle)?  Can they have it both ways?  Is it a bit too Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? We'll see.

If Beckett digs up the 'truth' about Castle's past through her investigation, but when Castle is found he can't 'remember' so can't 'reveal' any of it, and we are left with the mystery of what really happened in the present/past and whether we can trust Castle and the idea of some murky big bad with 'unlimited resources' *eyeroll*, I'm not sure how satisfying that level of unresolved can be.  This show is not Lost.  Never has been and doesn't do that kind of writing well either.  So Marlowe may decide not to give the audience any payoff either with regards to Caskett (wedding stalled, Beckett needs a breather?) or to mystery of Castle's disappearance, after a whole S6 with no payoff.  Is that wise?  But clearly Marlowe has decided to proceed in the direction of no immediate payoff.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 2
Caskett are happy, committed together, having learned more than one lesson in the past about harbouring secrets with one another, on the brink of their happily ever after, and this is the time Marlowe decides to reboot a bit and throw in (fundamental) new secrets and questions and sow doubts into the relationship?  Does that make sense or feel organic to anyone? ;)

This gets straight to the heart of the matter. I think he or they really believe that if Beckett & Castle are in an open & honest relationship then the show is over. Secrets, lies & miscommunication seem to be the only vehicle they are willing or capable of using to produce drama. That's fine early on but after 6 years fatigue & apathy start to set in. It's hard to pull for them as a couple when you don't like them as people.

Edited by oberon55
  • Love 2

Outlander is based on the novels by Diana Garbaldon. So they came in with a solid fanbase who had been posting pictures of men in kilts on their Pinterest pages for yonks.

FWIW, I've been doing publicity for a science fiction convention, and the younger women fans (under 30) are very aware of Nathan Fillion and of Castle. Very. We usually have a special moment when his name comes up.

That it plays twice a day on Space Channel probably helps, of course. The fanboys are aware of Nathan but not of Castle.

So now I need a picture of Nathan in full Highland dress.

Andrew Bikichky @AndrewBikichky  ·  29m

“@ThatsSoAbbyBlog: How many episodes are you guys shooting until you get your first hiatus?”

We'll be at Ep714 during Christmas hiatus

So they'll be up to filming the two parter by the time the Christmas break comes around, I guess that's on normal schedule.