Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

First poster?  Want to bet it's the only poster?

And yet another dramatic headline from TV Line on the same poster: http://tvline.com/2015/08/10/castle-season-8-poster/

Oh, just say it already. ;) 

It's ridiculous how these sites spin stuff from a poster that the creator probably didn't put much thought into, other than photoshopping together two separate photos, badly.  It may win the prize for Worst Poster Ever across all the seasons.  At least they were trying for something last season.  This one?  So clearly put together in a badly synced and ill proportioned way with no real message to be had.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

Well at least they're not wearing handcuffs....

What wild prognostication would you care to pull from the simple poster?

None actually, it's badly shopped together with the actors obviously not present (as usual).  Looks like S4 pics? At this point ABC can't even pretend to be bothered, I'm convinced they've outsourced this to one of the marketing guys kids or something to get done.  Although thinking about it if was a kid they'd probably do a better job. 

Bloopers next!

I don't even care that it's badly photoshopped, old-fashioned recycled photos. I think it's kind of a cute idea, especially after the run of season 4/5/6 that was all the same Beckett-draped-over-Castle's-back pose. I've given up getting anything super original, so I'm just hoping they do a good job with the old stock photos.

The TVLine headline makes me laugh ... because of what we're supposed to take away that Castle and Beckett don't see eye to eye (aka: giant angst filled conflict!!!!) ... maybe chooses photos that look less flirty? Because what I take away from those photos is more that Castle is self satisfied with his new (at the time, this photoshoot was from S5, right?) relationship and Beckett looks to be enticing him back to bed.

Edited by McManda

The best part about this poster's debut is that anyone in the fandom expected anything different. I mean, isn't this just par for the course by now? So why get mad? At this point, if you're a fan who even still cares about a promo poster and what it looks like (which is probably a dwindling number IMO), you sigh and move on with your day. My reaction was pretty much "meh" and non-shock. lol 

Edited by S55

Random ship does some nice Caskett art.  Her art of Caskett kids is cute.  Almost makes me want to see Caskett babies on screen... almost. :P

I enjoy her artwork even the baby stuff is awwww worthy which is usually a turn off, I'm looking forward to seeing what she produces in S8, hopefully she gets some further romantic Caskett inspiration.

I don't even care that it's badly photoshopped, old-fashioned recycled photos. I think it's kind of a cute idea, especially after the run of season 4/5/6 that was all the same Beckett-draped-over-Castle's-back pose. I've given up getting anything super original, so I'm just hoping they do a good job with the old stock photos.

The TVLine headline makes me laugh ... because of what we're supposed to take away that Castle and Beckett don't see eye to eye (aka: giant angst filled conflict!!!!) ... maybe chooses photos that look less flirty? Because what I take away from those photos is more that Castle is self satisfied with his new (at the time, this photoshoot was from S5, right?) relationship and Beckett looks to be enticing him back to bed.

At least Matt admits in the comments they're posting it as a story because it's summer and there's nothing else to speculate about.

Anyone know what to make from AH's comment about Kate's mom's case impacting the relationship? That's slightly more substantial.

Hitting the reset button.

Take this from someone who doesn't care about the romance/couple, but that sounds dumb even to me. Resolve something only to bring back the rotting zombie doesn't seem like a reset more than going backwards.

I hope this team knows what it's doing. Based on all I have been reading so far, it doesn't sound like it.

• Love 3

Ha! Could you imagine? I'd like to watch that on Monday night rather than the show.

Instead of Project: Runway, Project Castle. Hours of entertainment especially if Luke was involved - it would turn into a comedy show.

Taste may be subjective but that dress united the fandom (for once!) it was a travesty, it's still giving me nightmares, as an experiment I typed in "Beckett horrible dress" in Google and clicked on images and what did I find? A page littered with pictures of this:

https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/castle_beckett_dress.jpg

I had to check out that google search and sure enough that awful dress appears, good to know it been tagged correctly across the whole of the internet.

I see that Stana's reposted the pic she deleted of her with her brother earlier, this time with the #siblings. ;) Hateful comments of any kind are unjustifiable on social media. But honestly, I think this posting and deleting and reposting all creates unnecessary drama.

Unfortunately, those type of comments will never cease but she cannot have been surprised about them, maybe she would have thought the big old name Katic plastered on the guy’s back would have given it away, but otherwise not surprised.

Anyone know what to make from AH's comment about Kate's mom's case impacting the relationship? That's slightly more substantial.

Bracken is baaaaaaaack.  Yawn. 

Seriously, they couldn't think of anywhere else to go?

They're at this point with the story where I really wouldn't be surprised anymore if even Johanna Beckett is back in the flesh.

Bracken is baaaaaaaack.  Yawn. 

Seriously, they couldn't think of anywhere else to go?

They're at this point with the story where I really wouldn't be surprised anymore if even Johanna Beckett is back in the flesh.

Well, the split to "save" the other half from something is a soap trope, so bringing back Johanna Beckett would simply solidify that Castle is now a soap. At least Nathan Fillion, Seamus Dever, and Susan Sullivan should be comfortable enough, as soaps are their roots in acting.

Castle Vital Scenes ‏@BecklebeeCastle  6 hrs6 hours ago

Another tag line for that S8 poster : "What photoshop has put together, let no man or fan put asunder" #Castle

Kate Jennings ‏@Castle_Examiner  5 hrs5 hours ago

"It's not that we don't see eye to eye anymore. My face is just stuck in season four." #S8tagline

Heh, a fair bit of venting on twitter from some fans upset by the cheap and cheerful poster but what did they expect at this stage in the game? 

So Becketts wall is gonna be a recurring guest star again this season.....oh joy!

Yes but they're extraordinary walls. In any case Castle knows how to climb up them or break through them or something, he said so once and he can do it all over again. But yeah I'm with Wendy on this one it doesn't sound so much like a reboot but a case of dipping back into a well that's long since run dry creatively with that Bracken mention. The main reason I thought they wouldn't revisit it again that quickly (if ever) was that it wasn't proving a big ratings draw towards the end, I'd have thought that would have been sufficient to finish it but clearly not.

Edited by verdana

If Bracken is behind this, he's not a stupid man, neither Beckett nor Castle will be able to just turn off their feelings. They still have 7 years of history and marriage under their belt, which means they can still be used as leverage against the other and put in harm's way. So what's the point? 

I hope they add something to the mix and don’t let it all rest on some version of the It's Not You, It's My Enemies trope (if I understood the revelation a few pages back correctly). This may work for a couple (with no relatives) that just met, but not Beckett and Castle who have quite a public history together.

The other problem I see in pulling off a version of “Castle is in danger” is that it goes against the rules of the Castleverse IMO.   One is supposed to suspend disbelief whenever he is allowed to tag along to chase murder suspects - there is almost never a thought of him being in danger entering dark warehouses with only Beckett around. Similarly after his “abduction”, there was never a question if he is safe regarding any further troubles from his two months missing. But this time he is at risk for realsies and must be protected by such drastic (and pointless) measures? That can’t be all, that would be so lame.

Paul Lee on CASTLE’s Stana Katic and Nathan Fillion: ‘We Do Love Them’ at GMMR.

Wow, what a nothing article. Yep, Stana was still in negotiations when they announced a S8. Nope, Paul Lee isn't going to talk about it. Yep, ABC still likes having Castle on their schedule. The end.

Like how a lot of people didn't like Castle getting kicked out of the precinct last season.

I actually liked how the PI arc turned out last season, so if this season is in that vein I could see it being enjoyable. My biggest problem with that is how sustainable it is long term. The nice part about the PI arc was that everyone knew that it had an end date, it was just a matter of how long it took it get there. Plus, while it was happening there was enough integration with the precinct that it didn't feel like a misfit. I don't know if they can continue that out into a whole season, though.

Plus there's that pesky detail of a breakup that hangs overhead that I think is what most people are stuck up on. That's going to make or break the stories this season, I think. I'm willing to give it a shot ... but I'll withhold actual judgment until it plays out. It could be great and fun and hurt in all the right ways. Or it could just crash and burn and completely turn me off. We'll see.

Re: Bracken coming back ... I'm less skeptical about this than about the breakup. Mostly because I always kind of wondered what would happen in the aftermath of Beckett closing a big case (not necessarily her mom's case, just a big/important/high profile one). Is that it? Does she ever feel afraid that a trial won't pan out the way she wants it to, or that the killer she thought she put away would be out and looking for revenge? That they have connections  even inside jail and could send someone looking for her or her family? Just because Bracken is behind bars doesn't mean she's done, or even safe (especially with the kind of corruption and reach we've seen with Bracken on the show). I'm pretty risk averse so those kind of questions would always be in the back of my head. Even in real life, when I was a juror all I could think was "this guy knows my name and the general area of where I live and what I do ... and I have to be in the room when he finds out that we found him guilty". Honestly that was the worst part. (I knew I was never in any danger, the my trial was drug crimes and the guy was never violent, but still. If he was paying attention he knew a lot about me for just being a juror.) I could see Beckett feeling threatened, especially now that she has a family (and maybe will have/want kids in that family if they keep going with the line of thought they were dropping last season), and having that drive her decisions.

I mean, at least they're striving for some semblance of reality. It's not like they're resurrecting Jerry Tyson. I'd call bull on that one.

Yeah, the Bracken and mom's case storyline returning doesn't excite me at all. Been there, done that, got a tee shirt with the tritest TV tropes all over it. Though I know some fans look forward to it as the only solid guarantee of having their regular dose of #BadassBeckett, and it's the only thing they care about. So far it looks like showrunners make up these separate storylines for the leads out of the stuff they enjoyed to play, respectively. Stana — a badass Becks who "doesn't cross the line, but puts herself on it", and Nathan — a sleuth who gets to have fun with props and guest stars. I hope they have some sort of common theme and forward movement in mind for all that.

It can still be fun though, even without much of a direction. I learned it with the last season which was still better than season 6 IMO. If they tighten up cases and write sharper, wittier lines I could see myself enjoying it.

At least Matt admits in the comments they're posting it as a story because it's summer and there's nothing else to speculate about.

Heh I saw that from Matt and laughed because he's right. 

Regarding the Hawley "part of her DNA" comment, I took it to mean that it's tied to events that lead to their eventual split, she becomes overly focused once again on Bracken and the threat he potentially poses. I'm guessing she starts to investigate on her own, starts keeping things to herself misguidedly thinking it's for the best when most of the audience will be screaming at her like mad to work the problem with her husband and the rest of the team but she won't or if she does decide to confide in someone it's too late and because of her actions as a result she has to leave Castle. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I'm guessing she starts to investigate on her own, starts keeping things to herself misguidedly thinking it's for the best when most of the audience will be screaming at her like mad to work the problem with her husband and the rest of the team but she won't or if she does decide to confide in someone it's too late and because of her actions as a result she has to leave Castle.

I think this would be a giant regression for Beckett's character, especially when we saw that she'd been opening up to Castle and being careful and involving him with the investigation. (It's how Veritas started, for crying out loud! They were in it together, at the very least she knew that she shouldn't be investigating without him, and she pretty much backed off until he got back.) To start back up by herself now, especially when Bracken's in jail, just sounds dumb.

That's why I think there's gotta be some outside force - a call from jail from Bracken that literally says something along the lines of "hahah you screwed my life, I'll screw yours ... leave him or he dies" for (a bad) example - for her to walk away. It'll be her "decision" but it won't be a decision she wants to make.

• Love 1

Well I always thought Veritas was too easy. But that could be just me.

Veritas was too easy, but it was what happened and it presented the story as concluded, so it seems a bit forced to go back and change it. But I don't mind them bringing back Bracken and finding out there may be issues with his trial or something like that. But I would have an issue if Beckett gets obsessed with the case again and that hurts her relationship with Castle. That is very much a case of been there, done that and complete character regression. I hope they aren't going in that direction.

i think because it's only small cryptic soundbites (from me as well) it sounds worse than it is? But I did say a lot of people wouldn't like it. Sometimes it's not the main point of the story that is the good part, but what comes from it? Like how a lot of people didn't like Castle getting kicked out of the precinct last season. It could be argued (if you care enough) how all of all that ridiculous shit he and Beckett did over the years, THAT Is what got him kicked out. But that being said, it lead to some good comedy, good romantic moments, and then a payoff when he was allowed to come back after being the one to finally get Tyson. Just one way of looking at it.

I agree that the main part of a story can be less important than the scenes we get. Small moments can make a stupid plot worthwhile. But, there are some things that could go too far damaging the characters that it's not with it.

That's why I think there's gotta be some outside force - a call from jail from Bracken that literally says something along the lines of "hahah you screwed my life, I'll screw yours ... leave him or he dies" for (a bad) example - for her to walk away. It'll be her "decision" but it won't be a decision she wants to make.

Don't you think Beckett would tell Castle about that though? He was going to runaway with her when Bracken framed her for murder.

Edited by KaveDweller
So far it looks like showrunners make up these separate storylines for the leads out of the stuff they enjoyed to play, respectively. Stana — a badass Becks who "doesn't cross the line, but puts herself on it", and Nathan — a sleuth who gets to have fun with props and guest stars. I hope they have some sort of common theme and forward movement in mind for all that.

Bracken gave Stana her most meatiest (badass) scenes on the show. I can see her being happy to head back there for starters after a relatively quiet S7 for her character and Nathan will be right at home doing the PI stuff with all the gadgets and secret passages if you believe Tamala lol. Question is will the fans be on board with it? 

Edited by verdana

Don't you think Beckett would tell Castle about that though? He was going to runaway with her when Bracken framed her for murder.

I would hope so, hence why I think Beckett stonewalling everyone she cares about (and leaving Castle to keep him safe) because it's the right thing to do to keep them safe is a character regression.

I don't mind them being apart, but I'm skeptical on the setup of how tptb will make it seem credible.

This whole thing just sounds terrible to me. Luckily I have past history to fall back on. The Pi storyline or Castle's disappearence both sounded horrible in the summer but then they turned out ok when I saw the actual story. Oh, wait a minute...

Stana and Susan on set courtesy of Susan's twitter.

Guess Captain Beckett is taking a style page from Gates? Skirt! (Holy legs, Batman! I wish I had Stana's legs. Or Susan's, if I'm being honest.)

But what tumblr is going on about is Beckett's still wearing her wedding ring ... in episode 3.

Edited by McManda
That second picture is Nathan at the airport. Based on his girlfriend's posts today, I suspect he's off today and they're heading on a mini vacation (probably Hawaii where he takes all of them at least once during the relationship).

LMAO! The shade is real . . . and truthful. Or Bora Bora but I ain't one to gossip so you didn't hear it from me. *wink, wink* 

• Love 2

Basically those so inclined will see this as Beckett choosing her cause over Castle. But she sees it as keeping him safe.I believe we are supposed to think Beckett is wrong. 

Well, that sounds worse than I was expecting.  And I haven't been feeling very optimistic lately.  If they're really going to do this, they better have Beckett's reasoning pretty strong.

But the important thing to me will be what Castle thinks (or even knows) about her reasoning.  And how long they drag things out.

Edited by KaveDweller

Basically those so inclined will see this as Beckett choosing her cause over Castle. But she sees it as keeping him safe.I believe we are supposed to think Beckett is wrong. 

That might be a first. ;)   

It's been Castle apologising almost every time, to Beckett, to Alexis, even when things happen beyond his control.  I could understand him apologising to Beckett for the hurt cause from his disappearance even though he hardly wanted it to happen, but where were the apologies for those who doubted him if we're going to go there?  The only time Beckett really apologised to Castle was in Always, after she was hanging off a building having made the decision to go it on her own.  Has she learned from that?  Somehow I don't see Beckett apologising for doing what she will to keep Castle safe.  

The writers may play out the conflict like Alexis/Castle, where to me, Alexis really was the one who needed to do the apologising but the writers probably expected us to think both were at fault since Castle ended up apologising more.  It wouldn't be the first time the writers got it wrong in my book.  Did Beckett ever apologise for kissing Vaughn?  I forget because I have scrubbed that episode from my memory.  

That might be a first. ;)   

It's been Castle apologising almost every time, to Beckett, to Alexis, even when things happen beyond his control.  I could understand him apologising to Beckett for the hurt cause from his disappearance even though he hardly wanted it to happen, but where were the apologies for those who doubted him if we're going to go there?  The only time Beckett really apologised to Castle was in Always, after she was hanging off a building having made the decision to go it on her own.  Has she learned from that?  Somehow I don't see Beckett apologising for doing what she will to keep Castle safe.  

She also apologized to him in the S5 Christmas episode about lying and in Watershed about keeping the job interview secret (which I think was definitely her biggest misstep in the relationship).  And she often apologizes for having to go to work right before they are about to have sex (which isn't really the same thing).

I do think she should have also done it in Driven, that was a misstep by the writers.  Castle's personality has him apologizing whenever someone else seems upset though, even if he doesn't need to.  A lot of people do that.

Edited by KaveDweller
Guess Captain Beckett is taking a style page from Gates? Skirt! (Holy legs, Batman! I wish I had Stana's legs. Or Susan's, if I'm being honest.)

Nice pic.  Stana looks like a model student reading lines with her teacher Susan, heh.  And yeah, great legs.  Susan really is looking great for a woman of her age, any age.  Would love a shot of Castle appreciating Captain Beckett's outfit, and a scene of fun, flirtatious banger, but I'm not holding my breath.

But what tumblr is going on about is Beckett's still wearing her wedding ring ... in episode 3.

Missed that completely.

In other news, Nathan is raising funds here for Varscona Theatre in Edmonton, his hometown theatre where he got his start.  On offer is a chance to have lunch with him for $5, signed Castle posters (can you DIY your own instead? :P) and scripts, along with Firefly memorabilia including a pretty floral bonnet lol, and other stuff.

He's filmed so many of these DIY vids in his trailer, they should just do Castle promos and photoshoots there on a shoestring budget. ;)  He generally looks even better in his trailer videos than on the show.     

Did Beckett ever apologise for kissing Vaughn?

The bigger question about Vaughn is: did the writers intend to make him as scummy as they did? Because Beckett can apologize Vaughn kissing her, but it was really his issue. He was a scumbag. As far as I can tell, she did things mostly right. She made it clear she and Castle were in a relationship. He even asked her, point blank, if that was true. She said yes, she said it was serious, but because she hesitated for a second when he asked he took that to mean it was okay to make a move and kiss her. He doesn't get to make assumptions to what he thinks to be true. He asks if she's in a relationship, she says yes, he asks if it's serious, she says yes, that's it, regardless of where her head is at that moment. If he were a gentleman - or really, just not a scumbag - he takes her words as face value and backs off.

But he doesn't. He kisses her. And that's her fault?

She could apologize for putting herself in a situation where she was alone with him (though that wasn't really her fault) or agreeing to champagne (the only questionable thing she did, IMO), but I absolutely don't think she should apologize for kissing Vaughn.

There are things that Beckett should apologize for, but the kiss with Vaughn shouldn't be included in that list, IMO. She's made more questionable decisions for sure.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 2

Let me clarify: Just because people will see it like that, doesn't mean they are correct. It's a very complex situation. But we all know that gut reactions tend to simply things. I don't believe it's going to be the crappiest on a scale of 1 to Beckett was married in college and didn't know it. When I say we are supposed to think Beckett is wrong, it's because we are supposed to want them to be together. I mean that's what the show said from day one. Just because we think she is wrong doesn't mean she sucks. 

I may be influenced by thinking of all the negative fan reaction I'm sure I'll be reading.  I don't like when the show turns the conversation into a Castle vs. Beckett dynamic.

But saying it's not going to be as bad as Beckett not knowing she was married is not exactly the strongest endorsement.

• Love 1

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade as hope is what keeps people going, but if that is BTS, maybe that is Stana's wedding ring?

I have to take a shower after I post this but...judging by pics that's not her wedding ring. At least not the one she posted after the marriage. Ugh, does this mean I have to join tumblr now and say things like "in the feels" ?

Only if you also promise to refer to Stana as a unicorn at all times!

Edited by BellyLaughter
  • Love 3

The problem for me with Vaughn (ugh, I hate to revisit this but..) is that while Beckett didn't exactly encourage his actions, she didn't discourage them fast enough, actively enough for my liking.  Maybe it also has to do with how they shot the kiss.  She didn't push him away straight away.  There was no need for that pause.  I'm sorry, but if I'm in a serious relationship with someone, I would react strongly in a negative way to a move like that immediately.  No question, no need to think about how it felt for even a second.  If Castle had pulled that move on Beckett in the pilot, I think she would have pushed him off straight away and yelled sexual harassment.  And I don't think Vaughn was meant to come across as scummy.  He was meant to come across as a charming billionaire. 100 x more attractive a prospect than Castle who could have any woman he wanted, but naturally was uniquely attracted to Beckett. ;)  Marlowe (ugh) said himself something along the lines of any woman would react as Beckett did.  Same m.o. as making Josh a motorcycle riding heart surgeon who saves lives in impoverished countries.  I don't mean to imply Beckett has to apologise for a lot, but I think she did have to apologise for kissing Vaughn.  Especially after Castle stood by her till the end when she was on a bomb.  Hello!  Even if he was a clueless guy who liked to play video games instead of have sex (ugh) and didn't know to pick up on his girlfriend angsting over where the relationship was going.  Argh, writing all this about that stupid arc just aggravates me again.  I hope we are not in for that same poor quality of manufactured angst.

FWIW, I had the same problem with Castle not getting away from that reporter woman fast enough in 502. ;)

She also apologized to him in the S5 Christmas episode about lying and in Watershed about keeping the job interview secret (which I think was definitely her biggest misstep in the relationship).  And she often apologizes for having to go to work right before they are about to have sex (which isn't really the same thing).

Thanks for the reminder that they do have sex heh, or rather, have constant coitus interruptus. ;)

I think her biggest misstep was not listening to Castle about throwing her life and chance of happiness away in 423, though that was pre them getting together but still in the context of their relationship.  She really could have lost everything with that decision.  Her life, Castle for good.  We know they are going to get back together after any breakup because this is that kind of show, but in reality, not every spouse might be so understanding of a sudden one sided decision to break up with you, even if it's 'for your own good'.  Because maybe they thought they'd be a team for good, through the good and the bad, and make decisions together. Isn't that what marriage is about?  But then we wouldn't have the drama, and the making up. ;)  Let's just hope the writers can sell this storyline.

I do think she should have also done it in Driven, that was a misstep by the writers.  Castle's personality has him apologizing whenever someone else seems upset though, even if he doesn't need to.  A lot of people do that.

That is true about Castle's personality.  And I agree about Driven.  It's not to say that Beckett's never apologised, but the writers have often not have her do so when I felt she had to take responsibility, sometimes along with Castle.  I didn't think it was right that Castle was mainly presented as being in the wrong and had to be the one to apologise for not calling in 301.  He said he'd be back in the fall, and he was.  Castle and Beckett both made mistakes with how Demming and Gina went down but they weren't each other's mind readers either.

I don't like when the show turns the conversation into a Castle vs. Beckett dynamic.

Nor do I.  And I also don't like when any character acts in an illogical way (presented and justified as best way forward), when there are countless smarter options.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 4

I don't enjoy that either because I don't that is/was/ever will be the point. Just because we watch two people with a different point of view doesn't mean we are as viewers supposed to take sides. We are just supposed to watch and see how they come together. But in the internet age, if we did that, then what would we have to talk about?

That was a joke. And why is that not a selling point anyway? That's what is considered the lowest point of the show where it defied internal logic. 

Well, conflict between them is good, that's what will keep it interesting.  As long as both are given a valid point of view, they should have different opinions every so often.  The show is not always that great at this, but I'll give the new writers a chance here.  I don't want conflict coming between them permanently, but temporarily is fine, as long as they come back together stronger. I don't know if you know how long this split is going to last, but it seems like a strech if they want to go all season. Especially if we end up having renewal drama again.

But I'll have to wait and see how this plays out, because I don't get why Bracken is suddenly coming up again, or why he's a threat again and why Beckett would be keeping anything about it to herself.  Bracken gets out of prison? They are working on a case and come across a former Bracken lackey who brings up new information? A cold case is brought to her attention that she thinks can tie to Bracken?

The problem for me with Vaughn (ugh, I hate to revisit this but..) is that while Beckett didn't exactly encourage his actions, she didn't discourage them fast enough, actively enough for my liking.  Maybe it also has to do with how they shot the kiss.  She didn't push him away straight away.  There was no need for that pause.  I'm sorry, but if I'm in a serious relationship with someone, I would react strongly in a negative way to a move like that immediately.  No question, no need to think about how it felt for even a second.  If Castle had pulled that move on Beckett in the pilot, I think she would have pushed him off straight away and yelled sexual harassment.  And I don't think Vaughn was meant to come across as scummy.  He was meant to come across as a charming billionaire. 100 x more attractive a prospect than Castle who could have any woman he wanted, but naturally was uniquely attracted to Beckett. ;)  Marlowe (ugh) said himself something along the lines of any woman would react as Beckett did.  Same m.o. as making Josh a motorcycle riding heart surgeon who saves lives in impoverished countries.  I don't mean to imply Beckett has to apologise for a lot, but I think she did have to apologise for kissing Vaughn.  Especially after Castle stood by her till the end when she was on a bomb.  Hello!  Even if he was a clueless guy who liked to play video games instead of have sex (ugh) and didn't know to pick up on his girlfriend angsting over where the relationship was going.  Argh, writing all this about that stupid arc just aggravates me again.  I hope we are not in for that same poor quality of manufactured angst.

FWIW, I had the same problem with Castle not getting away from that reporter woman fast enough in 502. ;)

Thanks for the reminder that they do have sex heh, or rather, have constant coitus interruptus. ;)

I think her biggest misstep was not listening to Castle about throwing her life and chance of happiness away in 423, though that was pre them getting together but still in the context of their relationship.  She really could have lost everything with that decision.  Her life, Castle for good. 

Yes, Always was a bigger misstep, I was only counting from after they got together officially.

I agree Vaughn wasn't meant to come across as scummy (even though he was), but I did think Beckett pushed him away pretty quickly.  She moved away the second he touched her lips.  Yeah, she could have stopped him before contact, but it's not like she seemed to be pausing to experience the kiss or enjoying it, she just seemed to be kind of in shock.  Also, ABC couldn't have made such an angsty promo if she'd done that.

And I don't think Vaughn was meant to come across as scummy.  He was meant to come across as a charming billionaire.

I think that Vaughn being rich and charming and suave and a guy that had a hit out for his life colored a lot of her actions in a way that they wouldn't have been for a normal person. I also agree that there was a slight delay there that could be cause for an apology, but I also don't think that it was something that Beckett necessarily invited. I still think Vaughn is a jerk who heard what he wanted to hear (and wasn't used to hearing no), despite Beckett telling him in as many words that she was already in a relationship. Interest that he was compared to Castle ... considering when Castle was in Vaughn's shoes (crushing on a woman who was already attached to someone else) Castle chose to stay back or stay away.  Maybe the writers didn't intend him to be, but that's what I thought about him. I might have been caught off guard by his kiss, but Marlowe has one thing right: I would have pushed him away, too. ;)

I don't mind Ioan Gruffudd, but for sure I wasn't sad to see Vaughn go.

I have to take a shower after I post this but...judging by pics that's not her wedding ring. At least not the one she posted after the marriage. Ugh, does this mean I have to join tumblr now and say things like "in the feels" ?

She's also mentioned that in ... Serbia? Croatia? [edit: checked, it's Serbia] ... they wear their wedding rings on their right hand. I can't remember if that's the hand she had a ring on when she instagrammed his and hers wedding rings, but she's been in other instagram photos with a ring on her right hand that's very similar to the ring from the his/hers photo. I'm also inclined to believe the ring in the photo with Susan is not her real life wedding ring.

On the topic of real life wedding rings, I like that Seamus was excited for Ryan to be married on the show because that meant he didn't have to take his wedding ring off. :)

Edited by McManda

A perfect unicorn thank you! 

And yes hal you do but in capitals please. 

Strange to see Beckett in a skirt but I guess that's the new look now she's been promoted, I hope we get to see Castle checking those fab legs out I know I would heh.

This is her real wedding ring as a reminder, yeah I went and trawled tumblr. lol

McManda the pics you are talking about are on this link by the looks of it along with this:

“Orthodox Christians and Eastern Europeans also traditionally wear the wedding band on the right hand. (…) A traditional reason to wear the wedding ring on the right hand stems from Roman custom. The Latin word for left is “sinister”, which in addition to this sense also has the same senses as the English word. The Latin word for right is “dexter”, a word that evolved into “dexterity”. Hence, the left hand had a negative connotation and the right a good one.“

Edited by verdana

She's also mentioned that in ... Serbia? Croatia? [edit: checked, it's Serbia] ... they wear their wedding rings on their right hand. I can't remember if that's the hand she had a ring on when she instagrammed his and hers wedding rings, but she's been in other instagram photos with a ring on her right hand that's very similar to the ring from the his/hers photo. I'm also inclined to believe the ring in the photo with Susan is not her real life wedding ring.

On the topic of real life wedding rings, I like that Seamus was excited for Ryan to be married on the show because that meant he didn't have to take his wedding ring off. :)

Also, Stana and Susan appear to be in full wardrobe in that pic, so it seems like it would be weird for Stana to just leave on her real life ring when she changed everything else.  The probably put on jewelry with the rest of their costumes.

• Love 1

I honestly don't get the obsession with rings, on or off the show.  Then again, I don't get the intense interest in husband/brother photos either.  Or Caskett babies.

I think it may have been Nathan or Stana wearing a ring while being interviewed last season that tipped off the fandom to Caskett being married.  Thus began the ring obsession.  For Stana, it may have been earlier than that. ;)

• Love 1

This is her real wedding ring as a reminder, yeah I went and trawled tumblr. lol

Yep, that's the post I was thinking of. Thanks! I thought I remembered Beckett's ring was much thinner than Stana's.

I think it may have been Nathan or Stana wearing a ring while being interviewed last season that tipped off the fandom to Caskett being married.

I think it was Nathan in a BTS interview, yes? Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's why he tells the story about Castle fans being CSI-level zoom and enhance sleuths about things. TPTB should be careful ... with social media nothing is going to stay secret for too long. ;) (And that goes for all shows, not just Castle.)

I was only thinking about the hidden story line meaning.  I have no interest in whether Stana wears a real wedding ring or who she stands next to in pictures. 

I want the series finale to be when we find out Beckett is pregnant.  I want Caskett to have a kid, but no babies before then on the show please.  

I was only thinking about the hidden story line meaning.  I have no interest in whether Stana wears a real wedding ring or who she stands next to in pictures.

Yep, agree. What's relevant is that Martha and Beckett are together in the precinct (that's a second time for Susan, right?) and it's most likely not Stana's real life ring. What's left is for us to come up with scenarios about how or why Beckett still wearing her wedding fits in to all the other things we know about this upcoming season ... right?

The Latin word for left is “sinister”, which in addition to this sense also has the same senses as the English word. The Latin word for right is “dexter”, a word that evolved into “dexterity”

Fun fact: in pharmaceutical abbreviations left is commonly 'S' and right is commonly 'D', also derived from Latin. So left ear is AS/right ear is AD, right eye is OD/left eye is OS.

And Stana moves the ring back and forth from hand to hand. I think she likes to mess with her fans because they care so much. Makes me admire her.

I definitely respect Stana for a lot of what she does, including trying to keep her private life stay out of the spotlight. I think it's human nature to be curious, but at the same time that doesn't make you entitled to that information or pressuring someone to share what they don't feel comfortable sharing.

Edited by McManda

I'm not sure where the certain conviction, that C and B are in conflict or on the verge of divorce, comes from. I got the impression that the first 2 eps will be of the same story told from 2 points of view: Castle's first, then Beckett's. I'm convinced they will be "separated", sure, but only by circumstances, not conflict between them. I envision this pattern:

801:

- Castle in his PI digs, on the phone to Beckett. The conversation serves to tell us what's happened. He's taking on clients, she's been promoted. We don't see her, but his lines tell us what we need to know. They make a date for a rendezvous: lunch? dinner?

- Other stuff happens (Alexis? Martha?) that further brings us up to speed.

- Something inaugurates the Case of the Week: A Bad Guy does something... a client comes in...something.

- Castle takes action, or misfortune befalls him. He's hurt! He's a prisoner! He's deceived! 

- Cliffhanger!

802:

- Beckett's turn. We see "Captain Beckett" for the first time, settling in to her new office. Precinct action introduces us to the changes in command structure & personnel.

- Beckett realizes something's happened to Castle!

- Beckett mobilizes resources to resolve the case to find/help/rescue him.

- Blissful reunion!

Maybe there's a new Bad Guy that will haunt the rest of the season, or it's Bracken back to poison Beckett's triumph, or some new engaging twisty thing.

Maybe there IS a tragic angsty undertone: a secret Castle has to keep, a seeming-betrayal, a spurious doubt. All grist for the mill. 

We know they are going to get back together after any breakup because this is that kind of show, but in reality, not every spouse might be so understanding of a sudden one sided decision to break up with you, even if it's 'for your own good'.  Because maybe they thought they'd be a team for good, through the good and the bad, and make decisions together. Isn't that what marriage is about?

This is my biggest fear. And what I was talking about when I said about making Castle too passive. I'm afraid that this whole season will turn into a Beckett v Castle discussion over the decision she makes again without him.

He surely cannot be happy about this? but given how the show works, clearly he has to just "accept" it because that's the only way the show works. It's frustrating that Beckett once again makes a decision (hello job interview) without him and he just has to deal with the fallout. Interesting to see I guess if they handle any of the things I quoted above from you or if they just make Castle naturally agree to everything like in the past.