Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

http://www.ora.tv/larrykingnow/article/nathan-fillion-talks-stana-katic-sexual-innuendo

This was where Fillion got asked a series of harmless questions by the fans. I must admit I didn't know Larry King was still working, he does nothing for me as an "interviewer" since it seems most of the time he's clueless about the people he's interviewing and whenever I've watched him it's all soft questions. They need to have Jeremy Paxman doing that it would be a blast but I'm not sure his current audience would withstand the shock.

I have to admit his most enjoyed moment with Stana was one I would never have guessed it was where they were constantly running and I think that was After Hours?

His funniest episode to shoot so far and he named the one with Ioan Gruffudd. Oh Nathan. But I guess what is fun for the actors is not necessarily the same to watch for the audience.

This small clip doesn't make me yearn to watch the full interview either.

Edited by verdana

Fairly no-holds-barred critique of the series as it now stands ("Never do anything like 623 again. Don’t refer to it, don’t add to it, don’t give us anything remotely like it.")

http://www.castleseries.net/on-the-end-of-the-beginning-or-is-it-the-beginning-of-the-end/

Thanks for the link. Yeah, 6.23 was a real low point for the writers and that it came from the Miller and Marlowe was surprising since they should know these characters better than any one.  It's as if they've lost sight of them, now other writers do a far better job.  

Have to agree with most of it, especially some of her "fix it" points:

Do not separate Castle and Beckett. Do not introduce conflict and/or doubt between Castle and Beckett. They are why people watch Castle.

This one should be set in stone and placed somewhere in that writers room for them to be made to stare at every day before they start writing. Based on what I see the vast majority of fans (on line) watch for Castle and Beckett and if they weren't the focus they would soon find something else to watch. Other shows do the rest of it better. It's not for the cases, it's certainly not for Esplanie or any of the secondary characters lives. People watch for Stana and Nathan and enjoy watching how they interact together and with the other characters. The biggest mistakes this show has made over the years story wise have all revolved around them trying to keep them apart (in various obvious and not so obvious ways) or have them doubting each other once they got together.  Having them operate apart for any reason be it "organic" or not is the quickest way to lose your audience permanently. 

Fix the characterizations II (Rick): Yes, we wanted to see more about Rick Castle (his motivations, his background, his story). No, we didn’t want to see him as something else entirely (a guy at the end of a “disappearance” who may be a deceiver of the highest order). And when did Ricko the Clown take over witty, hyper-perceptive, studiously articulate, joyously masculine Castle? There’s a difference between “boyish” and “juvenile.” Learn it. Drop the slapstick inanity. We’re here for wit, not farce. Give Rick back his brains. And his balls.

Amen to all of this, I couldn't agree more with everything she says there about Rick and his disintegration as a character. When they said this season they were going to focus on Castle I didn't realise what they meant was we're going to give me more slapstick humor and turn him into a class clown who is more caricature that character. He is so far removed at times from the Rick Castle I used to enjoy watching back in the first two or three seasons. Emphasizing the more juvenile aspect of his personality and going overboard with it at every available opportunity for a comedic punchline does not make him more loveable and attractive. When I see fans describe him as a "loveable goober" or "adorable doofus" on tumblr and twitter that's a sad reflection on how far the character has fallen when such words are being used.  

Fix the thermostat: Castle episode 423 ended with what has been called “the steamiest kiss in the history of television,” yet since that point the steam has been nonexistent and that is not the way to hold viewers, especially younger ones. No one does lust like Fillion and Katic, so let them go to it. That doesn’t mean transforming Castle into something Shonda-ish. It means allowing newlyweds to act like newlyweds: loving and passionate.

Stana and Nathan can certainly bring the heat pity the writers are so scared to use it but it's not just heat I miss though, I'd like to see more genuine emotional depth and feeling being conveyed between them rather than juvenile innuendo about fonts, interrupted/chaste kisses and superficial "discussions" that have little emotional sustenance. But I've given up on expecting anything more (definitely on the heat front!) after two years of watching the same tepid displays with the odd blip during "special" episodes since I genuinely can't see them ever changing anything. Clearly Marlowe believes this is how you portray a loving, passionate relationship on screen that will keep fans satisfied and regularly tuning in and so far you could argue it's worked so why change it. 

Edited by verdana

I have to admit his most enjoyed moment with Stana was a one I would never have guessed it was where they were constantly running and I think that was After Hours? 

His funniest episode to shoot so far and he named the one with Ioan Gruffudd. Oh Nathan. But I guess what is fun for the actors is not necessarily the same to watch for the audience. 

Ikr? I'm really surprised that he basically picked s5 eps. Maybe doing that promo with Ioan brought up the memories of shooting that ep, but I would've thought that one of the eps that had Firefly things would be more fun for him like Vampire Weekend or The Final Frontier. At least the twitter questions are more interesting than the other sneak peek vid.

I must admit the episodes or moments he seems to enjoy most on Castle are often some of the last things I would think about or choose but then his tastes and mine on Castle have never gelled, he also loved doing Heartbreak Hotel for instance I hated it.  S5 was a poor season overall I thought. I can't think of another episode where they are running around all the time I wish he'd said the name, it will bug me now. 

I must admit the episodes or moments he seems to enjoy most on Castle are often some of the last things I would think about or choose but then his tastes and mine on Castle have never gelled, he also loved doing Heartbreak Hotel for instance I hated it.  S5 was a poor season overall I thought. I can't think of another episode where they are running around all the time I wish he'd said the name, it will bug me now. 

My first guess would be After Hours, too. If not, I guess the one that would next most fit the bill for me would be Veritas, but "running around" wouldn't be my top of mind descriptor for the episode, so probably not.

Was the scene in the Season 5 blooper reel where Nathan just could not stop cracking up (I think we saw 5-6 takes of it in the blooper reel) from The Squab and the Quail? That's the first thing I thought of when he described the episode as having sexual innuendo in every line. 

Kind of a letdown that that After Hours answer was promoted as "Nathan talks about Stana Katic," but I guess I shouldn't have expected differently. 

I can't think of another episode where they are running around all the time I wish he'd said the name, it will bug me now. 

Maybe Veritas? I don't know if he meant physically running around like they did in After Hours or going from one location to another in Veritas.

Was the scene in the Season 5 blooper reel where Nathan just could not stop cracking up (I think we saw 5-6 takes of it in the blooper reel) from The Squab and the Quail? That's the first thing I thought of when he described the episode as having sexual innuendo in every line. 

Nope that was the Christmas episode with the clock and the sack or something.

Richard Castle: $30 thousand. That's a little more than the Cabots needed for their lawsuit. Maybe our Santa is Robin Hood. Stealing from the rich to give to the poor?

Kate Beckett: Yeah, but why would he use a helicopter to steal this? I mean, he could have just stuffed it in his sack and ho ho ho'd his way out of there. It has to be about more than just the clock.

Maybe Veritas? I don't know if he meant physically running around like they did in After Hours or going from one location to another in Veritas.

I thought of Veritas first because he said they were "on the lam." I think Veritas fits that description better than After Hours, but it could be either I suppose. I liked After Hours a little more than Veritas, so I'll choose he's referring to that one, but both are decent for C/B relationship moments. 

Edited by S55

I agree w Lyn 100%! But especially these points

Fix the thermostat: Castle episode 423 ended with what has been called “the steamiest kiss in the history of television,” yet since that point the steam has been nonexistent and that is not the way to hold viewers, especially younger ones. No one does lust like Fillion and Katic, so let them go to it. That doesn’t mean transforming Castle into something Shonda-ish. It means allowing newlyweds to act like newlyweds: loving and passionate.

Fix the characterizations II (Rick): Yes, we wanted to see more about Rick Castle (his motivations, his background, his story). No, we didn’t want to see him as something else entirely (a guy at the end of a “disappearance” who may be a deceiver of the highest order). And when did Ricko the Clown take over witty, hyper-perceptive, studiously articulate, joyously masculine Castle? There’s a difference between “boyish” and “juvenile.” Learn it. Drop the slapstick inanity. We’re here for wit, not farce. Give Rick back his brains. And his balls.

Fix the leadership: Last resort, and I hate the very sound of typing this, but here goes: If things continue in the direction they’re going, the time must come for David Amann, Andrew Marlowe and their followers to step, or be drawn, aside. New leadership has worked for other, thought-to-be-fading shows, including NCIS. ABC would be well advised to bring back some of the people with whom Castle prospered in its earlier days, including Will Beall and Christine Boylan. They understand the show.

Edited by Samantha84
  • Love 1

With you all the way Samantha. I thought Will Beall leaving was a loss to the show. 

Ask Matt: Gracepoint, Walking Dead, New Girl, Dallas RIP, Parenthood, Castle and More

Question: There's already been a lot of talk online about whether or not Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic will renew their Castle contracts to pave the way for Season 8 and beyond. I don't really see the point in asking you if they're going to do that or not, because that is up to them and I doubt you have any more knowledge of their contract negotiations than I do. But I am wondering: Given the TV production schedule, when would this decision need to be reached? (snipped) 

Matt Roush: I'm hardly an expert on such matter, and given how well Castle is holding up this year, I'd be shocked if the show isn't able to work out deals for another season or two. But realistically, production on a show like this wouldn't go much beyond a few more months into early spring (late March-early April or thereabouts), so if this does turn out (which I doubt) to be the final season of Castle, that wouldn't give them a lot of time to plot a grand sendoff. Given that the wedding has already (finally) happened, and wrapping up the mystery behind last season's cliffhanger wouldn't necessarily take that much effort (the sooner the better, if you ask me), even if this does become a rush to the end, it might not be that great a cause for concern.

Edited by verdana

Quote from the article, since my quote button doesn't work.: "And when did Ricko the Clown take over witty, hyper-perceptive, studiously articulate, joyously masculine Castle? There’s a difference between “boyish” and “juvenile.” Learn it. Drop the slapstick inanity. We’re here for wit, not farce. Give Rick back his brains. And his balls."

That is absolutely why I just hated last week. Please, bring back Season 2-3 Castle.

• Love 1

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Castle-Postmortem-David-Amann-1090566.aspx

What leapt out at me here is that she doesn't know he's been busy getting his PI licence. Why on earth not? Why would you not tell your wife something like that? This couple are shit at communicating, they talk about nothing substantial and although Amann stresses it's will be a source of fun between them not tension I would be more than "a bit miffed" if I was Beckett and discovered what my husband had been up to behind my back. They're mean't to be a couple and you deal with problems together big or small and this is a fairly big problem - the end of their working partnership. I sometimes wonder what kind of relationships do these writers have in real life given some of their comments. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 2

The first thing that came to mind was maybe he thought if he had told her beforehand that the folk at the precinct might try to get him not to do it so it doesn't jeopardise her position there. But by getting it first (at the same time showing that he has been able keep up with his writing), he's also ticked off any legal complications so he can step into the precinct if need be.

I just hope that they don't do separate cases (Amann says they won't). I'm expecting them to be looking at it from different angles (Castle being brought in by the family, while Beckett works from the Homicide department) and then working together at the end to find the murderer, etc. Still would prefer him to be in the precinct of course working with everyone but if it gives a refreshing angle as opposed to some of the tepid storylines we've had this season I'll be happy.

I'm curious to see which episode will get him back working into the precinct though officially, since it'll probably come eventually (maybe he'll pass the PI office off to Alexis). Heh. The new set definitely sounds like it's for the office though (at least that mystery has been solved). Possibly 3XK eps? And the favour he'll call in, I'm guessing it'll be for his mythology.

Edited by Nadine

How is everyone going to react to losing Castle as a full-time presence at the precinct?

When we come into the next episode, a period of time has gone by, so everyone has acclimated to the fact that he's gone. They all have continued to do the job they had before he appeared on the scene. That isn't to say there isn't an effect on everybody, Beckett in particular. And it also [impacts] Ryan (Seamus Dever) and Esposito. In Ryan's case, he starts to take it upon himself to offer the Castle-esque source of theories because Castle isn't around to do that, so he anoints himself the new Castle, or the mini-Castle.

And do people react well to Ryan's attempts to be that mini-Castle?

I think most of the time it's played for humor. (Laughs.) I don't know that any of his theories will go toward cracking the case, like Castle's were.

Aww it sounds like Ryan really misses Castle not working with them, but with probably Espo usual snark toward Ryan like in Cops and Robbers.

That makes sense. What can you share about what's in store when the show returns in 2015?

Castle as a private investigator offers some delightful things to the audience. You're going to see Castle in a job where he doesn't have a tremendous experience doing [it], so there's a lot of fun to be had with that as he tries to find himself in this new career path. There is one [episode] that revolves around the death of a telenovela star that Castle has been associated with. Also, we felt like in any version where Castle is a PI, we have to do something that speaks to the film noir history of PIs, so there's something like that coming up as well where he gets involved with a conspiracy in which he is at the center. So those are a couple of things coming our way.

Really hope that Castle isn't a complete bumbling idiot during this P.I. storyline. I want to see competent Castle and no Alexis being Veronica Mars phase.

I hope that Castle doesn't get Alexis involved investigating cases with him, that's something that irritated me in the past when to give Molly screen time they have her teaming up with him. 

Really hope that Castle isn't a complete bumbling idiot during this P.I. storyline. I want to see competent Castle and no Alexis being Veronica Mars phase.

No bumbling Castle please there's been far too much of that already this season for me, watching him embarrassing himself is not something I would find "delightful" or funny.

Pity we're obviously going to miss the moment he tells her what's happened and they're already in a routine of sorts and things have settled down. 

Is the upcoming two-parter arc where you'll touch on Castle's mystery?
We'll touch on it then. There's going to be a revisiting of some extent of the 3XK story. There's going to be a case that comes up where Kelly Neiman's (Annie Wersching) name appears, who, as you'll remember, was the plastic surgeon disciple [of serial killer 3XK]. So that will kick us off on an interesting mystery for those two episodes …[they] will be a big, kind of epic couple of episodes.

I don't understand this answer, is 3XK involved in Castle's mythology in some way or is he saying they'll have both topics running alongside each other during the two parter?  

Edited by verdana

TVLINE | What can you tell me about the first episode back in the new year?

Castle will be getting involved in an investigation that Beckett is also involved with, and he will attempt to run a parallel track with her — and of course it will not go entirely smoothly, especially since this is his first case ever as a private investigator.

This reminds me of The Double Down in a way when Caskett were competing against Espo and Ryan as to who could solve the case first.  The writing was way better then though.  I enjoyed that episode. 

I don't understand this answer, is 3XK involved in Castle's mythology in some way or is he saying they'll have both topics running alongside each other during the two parter?  

I was wondering the same thing. Some of the interviews imply that he's talking about a new mystery (connected to 3XK) while others are saying it's the disappearance one. Unless he intends to do 3XK in 14-15 and then end the Sweeps by testing the disappearance mythology again before bringing it back in May Sweeps.

Hanning's written the first PI one - if he brings in his comedic writing that he did with Frasier when it was a situation of going round in circles like a dance, etc (Three Valentines and The Proposal), then he fingers crossed he'll bring his A game back again.

Edited by Nadine

Maybe the reason why Castle got into writing about murder or that Hollander Woods story. The 3XK storyline would be a logical time to tell us since Tyson was intrigue when he tied Castle up.

In an earlier episode this season, "Kill Switch," Lanie's name was the first thing out of Esposito's mouth when he was in life-or-death danger, which seemed to indicate they might actually have been heading toward a more serious commitment. As writers, was there ever the consideration to stick with the couple, or was it always the intention that they'd be breaking up again fairly quickly?

Look, I think they have kind of come together and come apart a number of times over the series. These are two people who have a great deal of affection for each other and a great amount in common, but they're never quite at the same place with each other. So there is the possibility that they may find each other again, but in the meantime, they're going to be amicable and work colleagues — and the romance is going to be on hold for the time being.

I wondered about that line where he mentions Lanie and then they threw that out the window and split them up. I really don't want them ever going back to revisit this relationship, it doesn't work. The chemistry isn't there and I don't see many fans demanding more Esplanie on any forum or blog that I look at.

When will you touch on that next?

We're going to be touching on it in the mid-teens, but we're probably going to be getting into it deeper in the late teens or back part of the season.

I think is the mythology again and I'm concerned they're going to have their usual late run in of angst leading up to the finale involving Castle's disappearance and that's usually when the wheels fall off with a contrived plot line to cause some kind of drama for one or both of them. 

Edited by verdana

This couple are shit at communicating, they talk about nothing substantial and although Amann stresses it's will be a source of fun between them not tension I would be more than "a bit miffed" if I was Beckett and discovered what my husband had been up to behind my back.

I would actually disagree, I think they communicate pretty well these days. Obviously that wasn't the case back at the end of S5, but since they got engaged I feel like we have seen them talk about any issues that have come up and have been pretty open about how they feel. We don't see a ton of personal conversations because we mostly see them at work, but we do see them talk to resolve anything that has come up in the episode and we get hints that other discussions have happened offscreen. They seem pretty stable in that regard.

We'll see how the not telling about the PI thing works out, but I'm assuming it will be a matter of not telling to protect her professionally.

• Love 1

For me, I hope that Castle is a competent PI. I hope that he does not go back to being the Police Office mascot but that their careers run on related but separate tracks. I'd like to see both he and Beckett respecting his skills. I'd like a moratorium on snide put downs. I'd like to see Alexis and Mom involved in his new endeavor - his family is important to him.

But I find the whole PI direction a possible regenerator for the show. I'm fascinated to see how it plays out.

Edited by pcta
  • Love 2

I don't want to watch the show if Castle and Beckett are no longer working together. An episode or two, sure. But if it's longer than that, I'm out. 

That's where I'm at too. Unless they can find a way where he can still help her out via being a PI.

We already saw pictures from them on location. Castle spying on someone/something and the others were there too. So I guess with him being a PI now he can still sneak around somehow and get involved in Beckett's cases. There will be some working together on stuff. I'm not really worried about that too much. I kinda fear we'll get Watson&Sherlock aka Alexis&Castle and that is something I really don't need to see ! Let him work with Martha - no problem with that. She is a good actress and knows stuff.

Mega Buzz: Blacklist's Explosive Super Bowl Episode, a Once Return and Castle's Two-Parter

If Rick is going to be a P.I. on Castle, will he investigate what happened to him during his disappearance?  — Melissa
I had the same thought, but executive producer David Amann says that when the show revisits that story line in an upcoming two-parter, "it isn't necessarily a function of him being a private eye." So what does cause Castle to think about his missing time? "The case he's involved with that has some emotional intensity ... brushes up against his experiences that occurred while he was missing," Amann says of a murder investigation involving Annie Wersching's 3XK disciple Dr. Kelly Nieman.

Okay that makes more sense that whilst investigating Nieman/3XK it triggers something emotionally that links back to his disappearance and they play both plot lines during the two parter. I first thought when some of the post 7.10 interviews came out that 3XK was linked directly in some way to what had happened to Castle but it doesn't sound like that from what he's saying unless I'm reading it wrong. I hope not because I don't want 3XK tied to his disappearance it's lazy and predictable. 

But I do get the feeling they are playing down the "new mythology" business a lot in comparison to how they were promoting it at the start of the season, it's something playing in the background more than a driving force.

Edited by verdana

For me, I hope that Castle is a competent PI. I hope that he does not go back to being the Police Office mascot but that their careers run on related but separate tracks. I'd like to see both he and Beckett respecting his skills. I'd like a moratorium on snide put downs. I'd like to see Alexis and Mom involved in his new endeavor - his family is important to him.

But I find the whole PI direction a possible regenerator for the show. I'm fascinated to see how it plays out.

I want him to be competent because he always used to be and I don't see why that should change that but I fear he will be made to look utterly out of his depth and incompetent for cheap laughs.  I'm less enthusiastic about Alexis or Martha getting involved in his work unless it's bouncing ideas around in the loft and he gets an idea like the good old days. I do not want to see Alexis hanging around with her dad snooping about, that would look ridiculous not to mention it could be dangerous, he's her father and should never put her at unnecessary risk. 

I don't get where this PI business could regenerate the show since the idea of them working apart for various reasons in the past has not worked out that wonderfully. This has a temporary feel rather like the DC arc so I'm not sure why they're bothering if that's how it plays out. Of course he could remain a PI and get his job back with the NYPD but they can easily forget about this in a couple of episodes and never refer to it again, his PI status and this entire mini arc then become meaningless.

Their magic occurs only when they're together not working in different places and then coming together briefly to exchange case exposition and before heading off again for more (separate) investigating.  The only time them being physically apart for relatively long periods has worked for me that I can immediately think of was in Cops & Robbers and No 1 Fan and they were both hostage situations.

I loved Hart to Hart but they were a married couple who investigated the same cases whilst loving, laughing and getting into scrapes together. How many times can Castle "accidentally" be investigating the same case as Beckett and this be considered fresh? Because that's the only way this PI situation can remotely work, you have to draw them both into each other's orbit using the case (since Castle is all about the COTW) and after one or two episodes I'd be eye rolling as Castle just happens to pop up on a case they're working on or Beckett just happens to need Castle on her case and he gets involved. 

Edited by verdana

I wouldn't mind them both being PI's if they really wanted to shake things up, the secondary cast are so superficially drawn you could lose/see less if some of them and I doubt many would care that hugely. The main focal point should always be Castle and Beckett, you mess with the amount of screentime they have together at your peril.

This has a temporary feel rather like the DC arc so I'm not sure why they're bothering if that's how it plays out.

I'm right there with you. I didn't get that upset about the DC arc, but I confess, since I knew it was temporary, I watched those episodes mostly wondering how it would come to an end (because we all knew it had to eventually). So I'll probably go into these PI episodes with the same attitude.

I want to be optimistic and give it a chance to work (after a few days reflection, I'm more intrigued and open about the arc and how it might go), but, as I have felt most of this season, I just have a hard time trusting this writing team to do this story well. But I've had that skepticism since "Driven" and I don't see that going away anytime soon. 

• Love 1

I would actually disagree, I think they communicate pretty well these days. Obviously that wasn't the case back at the end of S5, but since they got engaged I feel like we have seen them talk about any issues that have come up and have been pretty open about how they feel. We don't see a ton of personal conversations because we mostly see them at work, but we do see them talk to resolve anything that has come up in the episode and we get hints that other discussions have happened offscreen. They seem pretty stable in that regard.

Communication is there but I find it's conducted on a fairly superficial level, we rarely get to see them talk about anything serious even now they're together, how many conversations do we get to see when big moments happen between them? Not many that I can recall. They mostly happen off screen and if we do get to see them it's often when the writers realise they screwed up and then try to shoehorn a conversation into a much later episode when it's almost too late and the impact is greatly lessened.

The precinct seems to be continually used as a barrier in various ways to prevent these conversations happening and having increased emotional (and physical) intimacy between them.  Fans have been deprived of seeing a lot of moments between Castle and Beckett which I feel they should have been party to, instead they have to "fill in the blanks" or rely on hints about how the conversation went and by doing this the writers are depriving the fans of so much genuinely interesting character development not only between Castle and Beckett but also at times with other characters.

But that's what the writers like to do and by the looks it that won't change any time soon. 

The precinct seems to be continually used as a barrier in various ways to prevent these conversations happening and having increased emotional (and physical) intimacy between them. 

Maybe a byproduct of this temporary PI story is we'll see some of these conversations since they won't be in the precinct working together for a few episodes? ;) 

Edited by S55

But I do get the feeling they are playing down the "new mythology" business a lot in comparison to how they were promoting it at the start of the season, it's something playing in the background more than a driving force.

I thought the whole premise of the "new mythology" was pitiful. But once they put it out there I wish they had the guts to stick to their guns. How could Castle & his whole family(including Beckett) ignore the fact that he disappeared for months and came back with several unexplained injuries and complete memory loss? At least show or mention the fact that Castle is seeing someone or doing something because he is concerned. It's another sad example of the lack of consequences or follow up. It's hard to care about what happened or what is going to happen when the characters don't even acknowledge the fact that something occurred.

• Love 1

Random side note I love that people now realise that Amann and Roe are doing 7.14 because Rob K tweeted it even though I posted that a week ago. Heh.

I think the PI thing will be temporary but I think it may last longer than the DC angle (I'm going with possibly 4 episodes min - that would include the first part of the two parter). But I have no evidence to back up the 4th episode part (only 3 at this stage).

I also think Castle will keep his PI licence so if he wants to use it in the future aka to gain access to things that NYPD may not be able to he could do so without breaching protocols.

Edited by Nadine

Why are people so much more upset now that it's actually happened?

Also there is no indication that this is permanent by any means, it also doesn't mean they will be separated. DC certainly didn't separate them. In theory it did, but every case they were thrown together.

Yeah they were "thrown" together and it felt forced because you could tell they were scared shitless about separating them so they half arsed it as usual. Nothing ever substantial came of that arc. I didn't find it remotely satisfying because they were no repercussions at all for the characters. When she got back to NY yet again we never saw them discussing the matter of her losing this amazing "dream" job, it got pushed out the way as unceremoniously as Sully did. FBI? Did Kate work for them once? Nooooo.  That's the impression I got from the writers after it ended....like it was some dream that never happened.  

Like S55 once you knew it was temporary I spent my time speculating how they were going to end it and I wasn't that interested in the ongoing story because the writers were obviously trying to wrap up as soon as they started. And it'll be the same with this, why get invested in something that I know will be dead and buried in 2-3 episodes max and I'll probably learn nothing fresh and knew about the characters either. I read one blog where they were speculating that we will get to see much more of them in the loft having great Caskett moments together because of this change in Castle's job status. Much as I would love that to happen I was thinking ....I'll believe it when I see it.

As for being upset, I'm not. It was a choice between this and him having an issue with his writing career and they picked what for me was the less interesting option. But I'm not excited by the story at all and I don't see it helping the show gain a stronger footing in the ratings either. This should have been something they did ages ago before they got married when the impact of them not working together would have a much stronger pull over the characters and the audience and you could argue the DC arc has covered it already - albeit poorly. 

As for Castle PI (I keep wanting to type Magnum PI) sorry if this has already been mentioned but if Castle is getting his PI licence does that mean he gets a gun too? I hope not, that's becoming too close to making him almost a cop for me and I want them to retain his identity as a writer even if they pay scant attention to it on the show. 

Edited by verdana

I thought the whole premise of the "new mythology" was pitiful. But once they put it out there I wish they had the guts to stick to their guns. How could Castle & his whole family(including Beckett) ignore the fact that he disappeared for months and came back with several unexplained injuries and complete memory loss? At least show or mention the fact that Castle is seeing someone or doing something because he is concerned. It's another sad example of the lack of consequences or follow up. It's hard to care about what happened or what is going to happen when the characters don't even acknowledge the fact that something occurred.

The whole thing has been brushed under the carpet, there's been the odd token mention but considering the seriousness of what happened it's laughable how little they've touched on it and yeah why should I care if the characters don't seem bothered that much? They create what should be serious perhaps even life changing moments for the characters but then...nothing happens. Because they have to get on with the usual COTW fluff an fun and they seemingly can only write one thing at a time. Even if they had mentioned that Castle was going to see a psychiatrist that would better than nothing or even show Castle having a nightmare (but that would mean showing him in bed with Beckett so that's a no-no) or confiding in Martha because he doesn't want to worry Beckett or Alexis. 

"The case he's involved with that has some emotional intensity ... brushes up against his experiences that occurred while he was missing," Amann says of a murder investigation involving Annie Wersching's 3XK disciple Dr. Kelly Nieman.

Does that sound like he's still on his own as a PI by the 2-parter?  It depends on how it plays out, but I don't think it will work for too much longer than 4 episodes.  Because how can they keep setting up Castle investigating the same cases as Beckett and the boys.  Don't most people hire PIs when the cops aren't interested in investigating something or not being successful at it?  Amman seemed to suggest we shouldn't expect a quick resolution.

Communication is there but I find it's conducted on a fairly superficial level, we rarely get to see them talk about anything serious even now they're together, how many conversations do we get to see when big moments happen between them?

We get a conversation for any big moment that happens though. They talked about being ready to get married last season and they talked about why they didn't want to get married right away when Castle got back.  They even talked about whether Castle could really live with not remembering the missing two months.

I'm not saying this show has the best emotional conversations or anything like that.  We only see ones that fit the plot and they are shorter than most people would like.  But that is not the same as saying they are a couple who can't communicate.

• Love 1

Communication is there but I find it's conducted on a fairly superficial level, we rarely get to see them talk about anything serious even now they're together, how many conversations do we get to see when big moments happen between them? Not many that I can recall. They mostly happen off screen and if we do get to see them it's often when the writers realise they screwed up and then try to shoehorn a conversation into a much later episode when it's almost too late and the impact is greatly lessened.

The P.I. situation is a perfect example.

1. He gets the license without mentioning it to Beckett (they squandered a perfect opportunity for him to finally tell her it's not about her, that it's his life).

2. By the time the show returns time has passed so we don't see him tell her. The whole premise of the show gets turned on its head & we don't even get to see the characters reaction. Avoiding these kinds of converations seems to be par for the course with the writers.

So yeah they may have improved the communication between them some but in my book they still have a ways to go before I would consider them an open & honest couple.

So yeah they may have improved the communication between them some but in my book they still have a ways to go before I would consider them an open & honest couple.

But the fact that they don't show us him telling Beckett about being banned from the precinct doesn't mean they aren't an honest couple.  It means the writers kind of suck at picking dramatic moments, but that's not a reflection on the characters.  I can't think of anything they haven't communicated openly about since they got engaged (except for when Beckett couldn't talk about her classified cases in DC, which doesn't really count as she was legally obligated to keep that stuff confidential).

As for the PI thing, it hasn't happened yet.  So maybe it will make them look like they aren't open or maybe it won't.  We can't really tell off of a 15 second preview, so I am not just going to assume the worst possible outcome off of every minor spoiler.  I know that's not the popular way to think around here, but I think it takes all the fun out of things.

• Love 1

Does that sound like he's still on his own as a PI by the 2-parter?  It depends on how it plays out, but I don't think it will work for too much longer than 4 episodes.  Because how can they keep setting up Castle investigating the same cases as Beckett and the boys.  Don't most people hire PIs when the cops aren't interested in investigating something or not being successful at it?  Amman seemed to suggest we shouldn't expect a quick resolution.

I can't decide but may be, so that's 4 episodes with Castle on his own as Nadine said which is more than enough for me. I presume they'll wrap up the PI arc during that two parter, it seems like there will be a lot going on in those two episodes (3XK, sprinkling of mythology, Castle getting back with the NYPD) may be too much to do everything justice? They do have this habit of trying to squeeze in far too much into there more dramatic episodes and things can suffer as a result because nothing is given room to breathe. And yeah the whole idea of a PI is that you hire them when the cops aren't interested so it doesn't really work as a premise having the cops involved all the time, it's okay the odd episode but that's about it. 

Edited by verdana

Good podcast and I agree with a lot of what they were saying not only about the latest episode but the season to date.  The more I think about the ending (although I liked the subtle way Fillion played it there), it made no sense whatsoever that Kate was kept in the dark as lead detective and Gates tells Castle first, that's plot driven. I agree with babygray it's obvious their focus is on Richard Castle this season but unfortunately it's at the expense of Beckett who has become a more passive presence. Much as I would love them to spend time peeling the "Castle onion" they're not going about it in the right way and it's gradually alienating an increasing number of fans - and not just Beckett lovers.

TV's 100 Sexiest Women of 2014 at Buddy TV 

Stana came in at #28.

Lauren Cohen was #1. 

Edited by verdana

Don't most people hire PIs when the cops aren't interested in investigating something or not being successful at it?

And usually not criminal, but family law (divorce, child custody) or civil disputes (fraud or business disputes), So Castle would have to be investigating something and then it turns out to be connected with a criminal case that Beckett is investigating.

It could work once, but... I suppose it could tie into the 3xky arc.

Although it is acceptable that Castle would get a PI license, which could be a pretty simple thing on the internet, pay your $10 and get your license, since he is prone to sudden enthusiasms.

This. So. Much. I just had a conversation with another fan yesterday and basically said they need to own these arcs they begin. Or, if they see it was a mistake, admit it and change course for the better. I remember when The Good Wife writers had a story arc dealing with a secondary character's estranged ex-husband, and it was awful. But they owned up to how awful it was and I respected them for admitting that to the viewers (despite really hating the story arc). I don't think TPTB on Castle understand sometimes that fans can be a little more forgiving of things that annoy them if they would just admit they made a mistake every once in awhile. It's OK. Really. 

I must be missing something.

Why have we decided he never tells Kate he was banned from the precinct?

Because he didn't tell her during the happy holiday moment?

Obviously he's going to tell her but it seems clear from Amann's interviews that we're not going to see the moment when he does and they're going to fast forward to a few months later. 

Edited by verdana

This. So. Much. I just had a conversation with another fan yesterday and basically said they need to own these arcs they begin. Or, if they see it was a mistake, admit it and change course for the better. I remember when The Good Wife writers had a story arc dealing with a secondary character's estranged ex-husband, and it was awful. But they owned up to how awful it was and I respected them for admitting that to the viewers (despite really hating the story arc). I don't think TPTB on Castle understand sometimes that fans can be a little more forgiving of things that annoy them if they would just admit they made a mistake every once in awhile. It's OK. Really. 

I wish Marlowe and his good wife had owned up to the pile of poo that was 6.23 but they're way too arrogant to publicly admit to anything even if deep down they both know they fucked up.  I agree if you come clean and hold your hands up to making a mistake people can often be much more accepting of it than you would think.